The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I didn't take it as that bgood!

Mix knob is new. Parallel compression is old or somewhat.
I don't think it got really popular until the 90's Hip Hop.

I do agree that a HPF/SC would be nice.

I think most dev's/plugin designers are so focused on getting it to be exactly like the hardware/unit that, when someone comes around and says "Hey, what about a SC/Mix Knob/Separate Output knob etc, oh yeah, I guess I could have added that.

I just happy at this point to use these babies.
I don't feel slighted, or undercut as I think these are thee best that are out now.
Mind you, I have not used the UAD so I can not comment on those.

Marc
My daw (studio one) has a feature where you can set up any plugin to have a hpf/lpf and/or mix knob (parallel)... Which is quite cool for breathing life into old plugins and inject these features into patched in outboard..

But... Dang. On new plugins? Come on, man!

I agree that probably 90% of a devs gig with these emus is to nail tone and curves of the outboard. That's why I say set up a basic architecture that includes a few of these features right at the start.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
Sorry, I'll just do one more post on this -

I meant the vintage T4B itself, is a faster and more versatile design than T4A. Here's a quote from UAD LA2A collection on silver face LA2A :

What I've been trying to say is, there's older Jim Lawrence's design which is different. Since it doesn't say anything about what T4 cell, I would assume it was still T4A :

Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection

Black Rooster's unit is from '68, so it's after Bill Putnam acquired Teletronix brand in '67. I couldn't find any info on when T4B started to appear.

I was just trying to point to the fact there were slower ones in the history - that's all.
They are talking about the UA software in that link, doesn't they? To make 3 different software plugins, they got to say "something"

Anyway, there were probably bigger differences between every unit than between the different T4 Opto versions (in their hardware manuals/info, UA never use any other name for it than T4A).............. And the T4 unit made for the re-issue are as close as it gets, even made on the same manufactoring tools as the T4A

Here are they talking about the hardware: A History of the Teletronix LA-2A Leveling Amplifier - Blog - Universal Audio

Signing off by saying, I LOVE my LA-2A

Back to the VLA-3A............ again
Old 14th January 2017
ok i tried it. This VLA3 sounds very nice on bass guitar, but thats all i like it on so far, it seems slowish and more like an LA2 then LA3, its not got that solid tightness that i expected, sounds very analogue and vibey, but not quick or tight, more chocolate and goo sounding which is good but not what i hoped for.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Back to the VLA-3A............ again
Yeah, try the VLA-3A - because you will hear the T4B. That was my point.

I know you have a certain way of using LA-3A, but can you try it on the vocal like how you would use an LA-2A, just to see? Aside from the way saturation would embrace the signal being completely different from LA-2A, I think you'll notice the response of T4B in VLA-3A. It'll even do the "more GR = more polish" kinda sweetening as well, and you can push this one to pretty high GR without any issues. At least to me, the way VLA-3A responds dynamically reminds me of how the LA-2As I remember would react on vocals. ...and that's what got me curious about the subject of T4 cells.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
ok i tried it. This VLA3 sounds very nice on bass guitar, but thats all i like it on so far, it seems slowish and more like an LA2 then LA3, its not got that solid tightness that i expected, sounds very analogue and vibey, but not quick or tight, more chocolate and goo sounding which is good but not what i hoped for.
That's a nice way to describe a LA-3A
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hi all,
Here's a comparison test I did of a bunch of opto-style plugs ( + a couple MU-style). Included in this is the Black Rooster VLA-3A and VLA-2A, so I think it's pertinent to discussion.

Comparing LA-2A plugins + a couple others

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Hi all,
Here's a comparison test I did of a bunch of opto-style plugs ( + a couple MU-style). Included in this is the Black Rooster VLA-3A and VLA-2A, so I think it's pertinent to discussion.

Comparing LA-2A plugins + a couple others

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.
Thanks for the comparison!
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
Thanks for the comparison!
Absolutely! Both of your plugs represented here are quite good. Job well done on your part.

I know this is the VLA-3A thread, but I have to mention the performance of the VLA-2A: I know some people here on GS have said the envelope of the time constants is too slow, and indeed, they were one of the slowest in my test (not *the* slowest, however), but the benefit is that the envelope really grabbed the front end of phrases nicely and reduced plosives and early esses. Very nice. The VLA-3A did this, too, but to a lesser extent.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

IMHO the VLA-3A is the better one of the two (based on demo - VLA-2A expired).
It is actually closer to the actual hardware (mine) than the VLA-2A. Hmmm? Go figure............. Is it only me, but does it actually feel like they were labelled the wrong way around?

The VLA-3A is also closer to the NI/Softube VC2A than what the VLA-2A is. HMMM again?

PS. If you like this one, you should also try out the Nomad Factory Bus Driver (even labelled 1176 LA2, whatever that means ). I guess more 1176'ish in the faster Limiting mode and at 8:1 ratio, and more slow LA-2A'ish release at 4.1 and 2:1 ratio................. And the present price, you can't beat

Plug-ins / Bus Driver - Audio Plug-ins Store - DontCrack

PS. I will try out the VLA-3A some more during the demo time.....

Does anyone know for how long the bundle intro offer last?
Thanks in advance
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Does anyone know for how long the bundle intro offer last?
It expires in 5 hours
https://www.facebook.com/blackrooste...05567946185305
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
NO, it does NOT. Facebook didn't allow me to set the expiration date right. Most probably I'm to much of a developer to understand the higher principles of facebook marketing campaigns. Whatsoever:

THE BUNDLE OFFER WILL BE AVAILABLE UNTIL THE END FEBRUARY.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks........... good to know
Old 17th January 2017
Here for the gear

Demoed both plugins. I didnt have a chance to compare to the hardware, but i tested all popular la2a / la3a emulations, including the UAD versions that I own. In terms of the richness of sound and useability, BRA plugins hands down sound the best in real life mixing situatons (a result i didnt expect, never heard of BRA before). No idea how they compare to real life counterparts, but to me they dont sound two-dimensional at all - but the competitors do. Will purchase both no doubt
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by I1ski View Post
Demoed both plugins. I didnt have a chance to compare to the hardware, but i tested all popular la2a / la3a emulations, including the UAD versions that I own. In terms of the richness of sound and useability, BRA plugins hands down sound the best in real life mixing situatons (a result i didnt expect, never heard of BRA before). No idea how they compare to real life counterparts, but to me they dont sound two-dimensional at all - but the competitors do. Will purchase both no doubt
Thanks for the words!
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

First of all I got the VLA-3A, more recently the VLA-2A.
I'm really happy/impressed with both.

I was put off the 2A at first because of the reports of excessive pumping.

I just used it on vocals in series after an Arousor.
The Arousor did all the heavy work attack and release wise.

Adding the 2A after the Arousor works really well.
The 2A adds a nice smoothing with pleasant saturation/vibe, without any unwanted pumping at all.

I doubt I will ever use my Waves CLA 2A and 3A again.

The only feature I would like to see added to both the 3A and 2A is the option to control over sampling manually.
I would like to see if I'm happy with OS being off before trying it with it on.
It would reduce CPU load if I was happy with it off.

cheers
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

I like the compression action in more conservative ranges(1-3dB tops)but i would personally find very little use for the input tube saturation.completely kills the sound and takes it into static digital territory (it's not alone there)even when used marginally.doesn't even sound like it's part of the compression(also not alone there)

A good example between a marriage of input or output saturation and a compression algorithm is the new Marquis Compressor by Voxengo and Tuco by Sonimus.in both of these the saturation works in harmony with the compression.after a few days with both the Black Rooster plugins IMHO i'd say that the saturation is the weak link
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I like the compression action in more conservative ranges(1-3dB tops)but i would personally find very little use for the input tube saturation.completely kills the sound and takes it into static digital territory (it's not alone there)even when used marginally.doesn't even sound like it's part of the compression(also not alone there)

A good example between a marriage of input or output saturation and a compression algorithm is the new Marquis Compressor by Voxengo and Tuco by Sonimus.in both of these the saturation works in harmony with the compression.after a few days with both the Black Rooster plugins IMHO i'd say that the saturation is the weak link
The VLA-3A emulates the LA-3A's discrete solid state circuit...no tube saturation here.. we of course emulated the amplifier clipping that happens at a really high level and doesn't sound as warm/pleasant as the VLA-2A's saturation.

The LA-2A is a tube circuit and the audio amplifier has much less headroom and a more gentle/pleasant sounding saturation compared to the 3A. We also emulate this circuit's behavior, of course..try it, but make sure to put a trim after the plug-in and apply enough output attenuation unless you want to hear your D/A converter's clipping ;-) (no offense).
Old 23rd January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias View Post
Tried this today... to smooth for my liking. Its cool and probably great for some stuff, but doesn't sound like an la3a to me, in how it saturates or how it releases.
So I kinda have to take back this comment bc after further tests, I'm not sure what to say about my LA3a comparison that I "thought I knew".

This weekend while I was out in LA for Namm, I went to a friends studio, who had 2 pairs of LA3a's... 2 which sounded just like the "sound I know", attack and release similar to the Waves CLA-3a and 2 which were really smooth attack and release wise, which sounded just like the Black Roosters... both cool, but I would use them for different things!

So what I want to know is... what is going on? Both completely different sounding compressors! Which is the real, LA3a sound?? lol I will test more studios pairs and report back!
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear
I started my demo when AAX was announced (been burned in the past by pre-buying with promised AAX that never came) and went to buy today only to discover the intro price ended?!? I figured there would be some sort of warning as I follow this thread and on FB Oh well.
Old 31st January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I started my demo when AAX was announced (been burned in the past by pre-buying with promised AAX that never came) and went to buy today only to discover the intro price ended?!? I figured there would be some sort of warning as I follow this thread and on FB Oh well.
Hey superwack,

get in touch via PM or our support, I'm sure we can arrange something for you.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

BRA said:
Quote:
THE BUNDLE OFFER WILL BE AVAILABLE UNTIL THE END FEBRUARY.
so...it should not be ended yet!
Old 31st January 2017
Gear Addict

Another nice video reviewing both VLA-2A and 3A

Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

End of February is what I was going for also??????
Old 31st January 2017
Gear Addict

Introductory price has ended only for VLA-3A, the bundle offer is still available till the end of February.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Introductory price has ended only for VLA-3A, the bundle offer is still available till the end of February.
Thanks
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
Hey superwack,

get in touch via PM or our support, I'm sure we can arrange something for you.
Thank you! they took care of me - super happy to own this!
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Another video review:

Last edited by BlackRooster; 4th February 2017 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Did we get the promised HW/SW comparison files?
A.
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
Did we get the promised HW/SW comparison files?
A.
Didn't have any time for that yet. We are busy working on the next plug-ins, but we def have that in mind. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody who is using this who also owns a hardware version?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search