The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the great comments on the VLA-3A guys!

Everyone that's having trouble in setting up their account or plug-in: We try to make sure to resolve every single customer inquiry. And we understand your frustration and disappointment if something doesn't work right away. Again, we kindly ask you to use the direct channels (PM / our support form on Support - Black Rooster Audio) to report your issues. We usually respond quickly. Your direct feedback will also help other users once bugs get discovered and fixed.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
Still no comments on the sound?
What does this plugin sound like, & how does it compare to other LA-3A plugins?
Please, anybody?
I left a comment on the sound on page 1, post 18: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12348398-post18.html
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
Hey doom64,

thanks for your advice. We had it that way before and it was obviously causing even more problems according to what was comming up in our support...people couldn't find the download link etc.
Gotcha! I am glad you added additional information. The only other suggestion I have at the moment is to change your FAQ page so that users don't have to click questions to read the answers.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Gotcha! I am glad you added additional information. The only other suggestion I have at the moment is to change your FAQ page so that users don't have to click questions to read the answers.
We might consider this idea too. Please stay patient.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

What's the connection between male chicken and audio , thermionic culture has a rooster too !
Great plugin !
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
What's the connection between male chicken and audio , thermionic culture has a rooster too !
Great plugin !
ololol
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

only thing i wish it had at this point is a wet/dry. really hate setting that up!
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
only thing i wish it had at this point is a wet/dry. really hate setting that up!
What's your opinion about the sound ?
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
What's your opinion about the sound ?
I haven't given it too many tests yet, but super initial thoughts are it really clamps down on the level, while still being transparent and true to the source. It sounds pretty gooey, as well, in a good way. It also passes the test where I turn GR all the way up, and volume all the way up, and use that as a NY compression brickwal Bus/effect. Seems to compete with the UA one, and even even have a bit more brovado to it.

I especially love it on drumfills in parallel, most comps can't maintain integrity of the attacks in fast succession, but this one keeps up them with ease while under super heavy load.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Unfortunately BR has pretty much painted themselves into the corner of "if a feature is not on the unit we modeled, we won't be adding it". Which I still don't understand
Doesn't bother me. I would like to keep it as hardware as possible
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Unfortunately BR has pretty much painted themselves into the corner of "if a feature is not on the unit we modeled, we won't be adding it". Which I still don't understand
Is that an actual quote from Black Rooster? Because if it isn't, that's not at all how I understood Andre's statement in the VLA-2A thread (which I'm guessing you're referring to). My understanding is he wasn't referring at all to added features but rather the behavior of the plugin which a few folks took issue with.
Old 8th January 2017
Here for the gear

This compressor is something to behold!

Tested it last night on a busy Slap Bass part, and this comp was able to take off 5 - 6 db easily, without leaving any unpleasant artifacts

I've heard no software compressor that can do this on dynamic slap bass!

It retains the depth/authority that gets lost with plugin comps (the release behaviour is incredibly 'musical' - no ugly clicks, 'splat', or excessive dip & swell usually associated with optical comps).

I don't know how they did this, but the VLA-3A is a true masterclass in hardware emulation!
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

I recently purchased the Waves CLA-3A.

Anyone compared the Black Rooster VLA-3A to the Waves CLA-3A?
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post

I used the CLA-3A back when it was released. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't fully satisfied. It's a good compressor.

But the VLA-3A is clearly better to my ears. There's something more to its sound. Plus, it looks way better right ?
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But the VLA-3A is clearly better to my ears. There's something more to its sound. Plus, it looks way better right ?
Heh...I love that the GUI is almost as big as the real hardware!
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post

I used the CLA-3A back when it was released. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't fully satisfied. It's a good compressor.

the waves one is very plastic and pointy. Never cared for it.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Bought CLA classic compressors years ago and have only ever used 76 blue stripe. Even that is only once in a blue moon.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
This compressor is something to behold!

Tested it last night on a busy Slap Bass part, and this comp was able to take off 5 - 6 db easily, without leaving any unpleasant artifacts

I've heard no software compressor that can do this on dynamic slap bass!

It retains the depth/authority that gets lost with plugin comps (the release behaviour is incredibly 'musical' - no ugly clicks, 'splat', or excessive dip & swell usually associated with optical comps).

I don't know how they did this, but the VLA-3A is a true masterclass in hardware emulation!
Thank you so much! You are most welcome!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Software

Thank you optomod for this amazing video and the nice examples you have selected. awsm!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
We are preparing a comparison as I'm writing - plug-in against the modeled hardware. So please stay tuned for the examples.
Still waiting here...
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

This is pretty good. Not at colorful a the la2a but both great tools. I only used them In limiter mode but that's where i feel they shine at. But so far so good.
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Software

Due to the overwhelming amount of requests we are now offering the VLAs in the bundle. Please click the above image or add the products VLA-2A & VLA-3A to your cart and checkout with the promo code: "2017_vla_bundle".

Thank you for your support!
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Due to the overwhelming amount of requests we are now offering the VLAs in the bundle. Please click the above image or add the products VLA-2A & VLA-3A to your cart and checkout with the promo code: "2017_vla_bundle".

Seeing this picture makes me wanna see/hear a hybrid VLA-23A !
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Seeing this picture makes me wanna see/hear a hybrid VLA-23A !
Would that be the attack and tone of the VLA-2A with the faster release of the 3A? Yes, please.

But if they're going to do that, we'll need a clean output knob to compensate the gain so I can use the 2A input section as a distortion unit. But then if you do that, someone else is going to want a mix knob. Then someone else will want a HF Sensitivity knob like the UA versions.

Actually, that all sounds pretty cool.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
we'll need a clean output knob to compensate the gain so I can use the 2A input section as a distortion unit. But then if you do that, someone else is going to want a mix knob. Then someone else will want a HF Sensitivity knob like the UA versions.

Actually, that all sounds pretty cool.
Yes yes yes. I also requested a clean output knob when writing support about another matter. The 2A is a wonderful distortion unit as you point out. I certainly hope they add these 3 modifications you suggest.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

I would just really appreciate a mix knob
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you already own one is there any option for a bundle discount if you get the other ??

I logged in and when one is removed from the cart the entire bundle promo discount disappears.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2017
Here for the gear

Tried this today... to smooth for my liking. Its cool and probably great for some stuff, but doesn't sound like an la3a to me, in how it saturates or how it releases.
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
If you already own one is there any option for a bundle discount if you get the other ??

I logged in and when one is removed from the cart the entire bundle promo discount disappears.

Cheers
Get in touch, we will handle this.
Old 12th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias View Post
Tried this today... to smooth for my liking. Its cool and probably great for some stuff, but doesn't sound like an la3a to me, in how it saturates or how it releases.
Hmmm, when is the last time you had your unit serviced?
This emu sounds incredible. I'd love to hear a sample of your unit though.
Maybe a gtr loop?

Waves version are really good to me. Use them all the time.
I just think, VLA plugins have taken it to another level.
Adding the much needed saturation to these babies makes me smile.

I'd love to see them do a Neve 33609 or a Tube Tech CL1B.

Their take on these unit would be very interesting.
They have incredible coding skills matched with great ears.

Thx BR for these great units...

Marc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search