The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Okay, so -

I think Black Rooster did an amazing job. I have to pick this one up.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

BTW, are there anyone who know the history of LA2A and LA3A well? I somehow feel that the GR characteristic of VLA-3A is very close to the vintage silver face LA-2A units at the studio I used to work at many years ago. Did they share the same T4 parts at some point? Even the way it handles a fairly dynamic vocal track with very high GR in some spots feels very very familiar. Obviously, the color is completely different - I'm talking about just the GR characteristic.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
BTW, are there anyone who know the history of LA2A and LA3A well? I somehow feel that the GR characteristic of VLA-3A is very close to the vintage silver face LA-2A units at the studio I used to work at many years ago. Did they share the same T4 parts at some point? Even the way it handles a fairly dynamic vocal track with very high GR in some spots feels very very familiar. Obviously, the color is completely different - I'm talking about just the GR characteristic.
I believe the LA3A shares the same T4 cell as the LA2A but uses an FET (correct me if I'm wrong) circuit compared to the tube-based LA2A. The differences in the design resulted in slightly faster speeds in the LA3A and a less coloured sound.
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I believe the LA3A shares the same T4 cell as the LA2A but uses an FET (correct me if I'm wrong) circuit compared to the tube-based LA2A. The differences in the design resulted in slightly faster speeds in the LA3A and a less coloured sound.
LA-3A uses a newer opto cell - T4B
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
LA-3A uses a newer opto cell - T4B
If I'm not mistaken both the LA-2A and LA-3A use T4B cells. At some point the LA-2A used T4A cells but they were later changed for T4Bs. Also, if my memory doesn't fail I think there are two types of T4Bs: slow and fast. I'm not sure which one used the LA-3A, though (maybe the fast drip one? It might be the case because timings are faster in the LA-3A).

Anyways, the biggest difference between a 2A and a 3A I think is the 2A uses a tube to drive the EL panel while the 3A uses solid state. I think that's why the 3A is way more transparent than a 2A.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
On pins and needles. bgood?
um... that rarely happens...

i'm travelling... my gtr player got the demo and says it's smoking... cool!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
First, congrats on the release.

From the manual:

"A readout of -14dB full scale in the plug-in equals
a level 0 dBu in the hardware."

Why? Most analog plugins that I am aware of use the -18 dB RMS reference. Is that what the original hardware is set to?
Slate changed this ref level a year or so ago... -12 or -14... i don't recall
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Surprised there haven't been any hardwear owners doing comparisons yet. I don't own the hardwear, but the plugin sounds great!
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Head

I have tried both the VLA-3A and the 2A now - the 3A is real nice
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Surprised there haven't been any hardwear owners doing comparisons yet. I don't own the hardwear, but the plugin sounds great!
We are preparing a comparison as I'm writing - plug-in against the modeled hardware. So please stay tuned for the examples.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster View Post
We are preparing a comparison as I'm writing - plug-in against the modeled hardware. So please stay tuned for the examples.
I'm looking forward to this!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
If I'm not mistaken both the LA-2A and LA-3A use T4B cells. At some point the LA-2A used T4A cells but they were later changed for T4Bs. Also, if my memory doesn't fail I think there are two types of T4Bs: slow and fast. I'm not sure which one used the LA-3A, though (maybe the fast drip one? It might be the case because timings are faster in the LA-3A).

Anyways, the biggest difference between a 2A and a 3A I think is the 2A uses a tube to drive the EL panel while the 3A uses solid state. I think that's why the 3A is way more transparent than a 2A.
Thanks guys! This is very interesting.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you got time to post your "not our of frustration" comments both on KVR and here instead of contacting us directly? We are really willing to help you regarding the activation, so maybe you can provide us with some info, so we are really informed. This might help you and others as we could really focus on potential bugs. Please get back to us directly via info (at) blackroosteraudio.com

Have you checked the activation video yet?

All the best, André
Indeed. I read and post on items each morning, sometimes checking out other threads throughout the day as well. It took me about thirty seconds to post in the KVR thread and maybe a minute or so to type and post my previous post.

I've gone through support in the past and it's back and forth, wait, get on my DAW when I don't plan or want to in order to go through the recommendations of support.

Since you saw my post on KVR, you know what my issue is: Attempting to enter login credentials in either of my DAWs results in bad login attempt.

No, I've not looked at the video. No offense, but having worked with DAWs for a while now, being a software developer for twenty-five years and having had to go through some convoluted processes to run a demo with other companies, I've decided if a demo requires something along the lines of a video just to get a demo running, I'm just not interested. As I tried to explain, I"m an impulse buyer. If a company doesn't hook me right away and seem to provide something that I don't already have, or something better than what I currently have, then I oftentimes buy it - especially with intro deals. Once I've had some time to come to my senses and realize I need to become better at arrangement, tune my ears further and get to know the tools I already have, then I'm usually not interested in those items that require back and forths with support, watching videos or long explanations of how to get the demo running.

Now, you and everyone else reading this thread likely thinks I'm a stubborn jerk, and that's what I'd think about me if I wasn't me. But this is just how I work these days.

My initial intent in posting wasn't to bad mouth you guys and gals at Black Rooster, but merely to let you know if the demo process was simpler and actually worked as seemingly intended, and this plugin sounds as great as everyone's said, that you'd probably have had another sale. And I'm guessing there are others like me.

But I do wish you luck with this and the LA2A, and any past and future plugins. It sounds like you guys are doing an amazing job, so keep it up in regards to the plugin development.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Now, you and everyone else reading this thread likely thinks I'm a stubborn jerk, and that's what I'd think about me if I wasn't me. But this is just how I work these days.
No worries, we don't think that you're a stubborn jerk. In fact all that fuzz helped to identify and fix a bug in our online activation system that kept many users from using the online activation, while they could flawlessly login on the website.

Every customer that was affected by the "bad login data" message reading this post: Please reset your password using the forgotten password function on our website. This will sort things out for you. We are sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No worries, we don't think that you're a stubborn jerk. In fact all that fuzz helped to identify and fix a bug in our online activation system that kept many users from using the online activation, while they could flawlessly login on the website.

Every customer that was affected by the "bad login data" message reading this post: Please reset your password using the forgotten password function on our website. This will sort things out for you. We are sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused.
Well i am kinda like "ImNotDedyet" dude and yep i was in LA2A whining about convoluted process in finding your downloads at all (remember it was not said anywhere on page that i actually need to create account to demo stuff, and i whined about not want to creat multiple account on multiple websites).

Well today i finally had some time to demo your stuff. I was really excited about LA3A.

I went here: Registration - Black Rooster Audio

added all of my data - pressed Register and your system said something about everything is fine (it was green font) and i am about to receive account confirmation /activation data on my email.

Well here i am waiting for 30 minutes for email to arrive, pressing refresh and finally i decided to quit this adventure because i think it's lame.

No i checked my SPAM folder and it is not there and no i for sure did not added wrong email address. And yes my email inbox is working just fine. I spent 30 minutes waiting for something to arrive - something which is usually arriving within seconds from other vendors.

I call it simply bad service.

I can't grasp is this a joke or not. Why you simply don't add Demo download archive and be done with it. You want to collect user data and see how your userbase grow - ok i understand that but why you make it so painful?

Certainly by now i have lost my interest. You can all call me whatever you want. But something is pretty wrong with your website user experience. I just lost 30 minutes for waiting some sort of activation email. 30 minutes waiting for email is a frustrating waste in my book.

I hope fellas here will spare me comments i could do something in the meantime. I went on your website to try demo. Not to wait and read forum while waiting email to arrive from other dimension.

Kind regards
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I too was having difficulties with the auth in both S1 and Live on Windows. I was certain I was entering the correct login information as I typed it in a number of times.

Finally I gave up and just deleted the Black Rooster stuff.

Truthfully, I see products I view as worthy to demo, I demo them and if there's a good intro price I likely buy then and there. When the demo process is too convoluted to go through or doesn't work, I don't wind up buying the product. That's how my VST purchases go. So, even though I could contact support and get it sorted, it's become too much work for me, and my senses take hold. I don't really need another compressor, EQ, saturation plug, synth, etc.

I say this not out of frustration or anger, but merely as information for Black Rooster. I'm guessing I'm not the only one whose purchasing patterns are along these lines.
I think this is well-stated. I am a big supporter
of plugin vendors and buy at least 20 products
a year, and have accumulated at least 15 grand
worth of plugs and VI's over the past decade.
If the demo process is too complicated I am
also inclined not to buy the product. If there is
no demo at all to try, or if the demo features
a burst of noise every 30 seconds, I don't buy
the product.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I too was having difficulties with the auth in both S1 and Live on Windows. I was certain I was entering the correct login information as I typed it in a number of times.

Finally I gave up and just deleted the Black Rooster stuff.

Truthfully, I see products I view as worthy to demo, I demo them and if there's a good intro price I likely buy then and there. When the demo process is too convoluted to go through or doesn't work, I don't wind up buying the product. That's how my VST purchases go. So, even though I could contact support and get it sorted, it's become too much work for me, and my senses take hold. I don't really need another compressor, EQ, saturation plug, synth, etc.

I say this not out of frustration or anger, but merely as information for Black Rooster. I'm guessing I'm not the only one whose purchasing patterns are along these lines.
THIS !

Cant tell how many times I junked software after being frustrated and irritated when I could not get it or make it work, after I was inspired, excited, curious to hear the plug. I rarely return if i get pi**ed with my first front-end user introduction experience...

Still pi**ed with Gobbler - so no Slate Subscription yet (But he's making it more difficult to resist).

I understand copy protection issues and vendors protecting their stuff - but... PITA, convoluted, time wasting, clumsy, un-intuitive, demo transactions just turn me right away. (we are now too spoilt for choice to stress that much about moving on).

Just demo'd 'Soothe' Plugin - It was a breeze, wonderful and two weeks free use - definite purchase.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Aside from my password needed resetting because of the above mentioned problem, the demo activation process wasn't all that different from Plugin Alliance stuff in my experience. Demo is 14 days license without interruptions/limitations.

I am okay with it, and I really am not seeing the kind of dramas people are writing about. It was pretty much straightforward here.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
Well here i am waiting for 30 minutes for email to arrive, pressing refresh and finally i decided to quit this adventure because i think it's lame.

No i checked my SPAM folder and it is not there and no i for sure did not added wrong email address. And yes my email inbox is working just fine. I spent 30 minutes waiting for something to arrive - something which is usually arriving within seconds from other vendors.

I call it simply bad service.

I can't grasp is this a joke or not. Why you simply don't add Demo download archive and be done with it. You want to collect user data and see how your userbase grow - ok i understand that but why you make it so painful?
Hi xmein,

we understand your frustration and if you didn't receive the account activation mail within a matter of minutes something went wrong, obviously. Please contact me via PM and tell me which email you used to register your account and I'm sure we can sort it out quickly.

Again, we're really sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused and are always willing to listen to feedback on how to improve and simplify our system.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I've not looked at the video. No offense, but having worked with DAWs for a while now, being a software developer for twenty-five years and having had to go through some convoluted processes to run a demo with other companies.

I've decided if a demo requires something along the lines of a video just to get a demo running, I'm just not interested. As I tried to explain, I"m an impulse buyer. If a company doesn't hook me right away and seem to provide something that I don't already have, or something better than what I currently have, then I oftentimes buy it - especially with intro deals. Once I've had some time to come to my senses and realize I need to become better at arrangement, tune my ears further and get to know the tools I already have, then I'm usually not interested in those items that require back and forths with support, watching videos or long explanations of how to get the demo running.

I don't think you are stubborn at all. Although I do think that you are misinformed. There was a clearly marked Offline Activation button.

Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A-vla-3a_activation.jpg

When I went to activate VLA-3A and the online method didn't work, I did not come back here on Gearslutz and complain. I tried the second method and it worked just fine. I would be ashamed to call myself an audio engineer if I didn't.

But hey, you are probably better off. Being an impulse buyer of software is...ill advised. I trial the living daylights out of everything that piques my interest...which is why I am virtually never disappointed with my purchases. Why others don't do the same, I will never understand.

I wish I had 14-30 days to try out new automobile or cell phone purchases!

Now, some advice for @BlackRooster . Don't allow people to download installers unless they are logged in/have an account first.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio releases VLA-3A-vla-3a_activation.jpg  
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

Still no comments on the sound?
What does this plugin sound like, & how does it compare to other LA-3A plugins?
Please, anybody?
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frellin' Smesh View Post
Please, anybody?
Grab the demo. Borrowing my friends la3a to shoot it out. Will give muy findings later.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Please, anybody?
I agree we need more sound comments. I actually did that on the first page of this thread. It has a very full character to the point where you may have to EQ additional high end compared to other compressors. The compression behavior seems very good. I've had great success with it on vocals, sax, and clean electric guitar. I have the UAD LA-3A but I prefer the Black Rooster version which is darker sounding and works better on vocals for me. It just seems to be a better sound quality than the UAD version.

Edit - I want to add that the VLA-3A did great things for a Rhodes piano just taking a dB or so off the peaks. It created a really solid midrangy tone that enhanced the Rhodes sound.

Last edited by MarsBot; 6th January 2017 at 04:07 AM..
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

No comments over here yet. I still haven't had a chance to use it. Sad!
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Head

Major problems on my end that I haven't seen anyone else bring up; this goes for all 3 of the Black Rooster Plugs..

Firstly, I'm on Cubase 7.5 (32bit) on Win7 x64...

I get no GUI; just a black rectangle inside a light rectangle; the plugin border seems to be sized correctly but no matter what I've tried I get no GUI.. even tried switching to "generic editor" within cubase which switches the GUI off and uses a basic, 'stock cubase' type of control and look... still doesnt process any audio... nothing.

Anyone else w/this issue or ideas on how to resolve it?

I REALLY want to DEMO these and BUY them based on the great reactions!
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1984 View Post
Major problems on my end that I haven't seen anyone else bring up; this goes for all 3 of the Black Rooster Plugs..

I get no GUI; just a black rectangle inside a light rectangle; the plugin border seems to be sized correctly but no matter what I've tried I get no GUI.. even tried switching to "generic editor" within cubase which switches the GUI off and uses a basic, 'stock cubase' type of control and look... still doesnt process any audio... nothing.

I am on Windows 7 64bit Nuendo and have zero issues with their plugins GUI. I hope you can find out the issue.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Please, anybody?
I gave this a quick go on a P-Bass in a rock setup (blend of DI and Amp with VLA3A on the buss) and compared to a few other comps I have. First impression: this works very well on bass. The timing is just perfect for electric bass. Just the right bit of attack, with a moderately fast release. Tone-wise, this is actually relatively clean, at least compared to something like the VLA2A which was much more colored with a slower release. It didn't beat out Arousor in that particular track/application, but it was very good. I much preferred it to the UAD LA-3A which sounded lifeless and flat in comparison. I preferred it to the UAD LA-2A Collection (different comps, sure, but just trying out different stuff) and I even preferred to the new PSP FETCompressor (very different topology, but trying things out). I felt like this was close to the IK White-2A oddly enough, but honestly spent the least amount of time comparing those too. Maybe I'm not using that one enough. Definitely want to revisit that comparison before my demo ends. As an LA-2A the White-2A is too clean, but that may make it close to this 3A.

I haven't done vocals or acoustic guitar yet, but hope to get to both over the weekend. So initial verdict: very good, but not yet a necessary purchase. Honestly, releasing right after the holiday sales couldn't have been worse timing as I'm just in the mindset that I spent too much money last month. Otherwise, maybe I'd like this more.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Purchased VLA-3A

The download was incredibly SLOW.

No issues with install and Online Authorisation worked first time.
In Logic you are asked to authorise the first time Logic boots up after the install of the "Black Rooster Audio Plugin Pack".
This is before the AU scan is complete.

First thing I tried it on was soprano sax and I must say it sounds gorgeous.
Brings the mids out really nicely and takes a bit of the harshness off the top end that sopranos throw up.

There is quite a large dynamic range in this sax track (which needs taming).
The VLA-3A levels everything out really smoothly with up to about 8db of GR.

Next I tried it on some percussion (djembe).
It does a great job there too, again with a nice push on the mids.
And very smooth levelling with about 6db max GR.

Final test so far was on bass, a slightly odd bass that has had some serious eq to try and get it to sound ok.
The VLA-3A has done a great job on this too, very smooth levelling out with about 5db max GR.
The mids are a bit more prominent and that has helped the bass sound.

Early days, lots more the explore but I'm glad I purchased it.
I think it will compliment the other compressors I use most the time very nicely.

Thanks Black Rooster

Last edited by Beatworld; 6th January 2017 at 06:46 AM..
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1984 View Post

Hi the 1984,

sounds bad. Please get back to me via PM or via our support form.

Thanks, André
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Now, some advice for @BlackRooster . Don't allow people to download installers unless they are logged in/have an account first.
Hey doom64,

thanks for your advice. We had it that way before and it was obviously causing even more problems according to what was comming up in our support...people couldn't find the download link etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search