The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
I gave up on PSP when they switched to iLok copy protection (and I tried to sell off as many plug-ins as possible - can't say I miss FETpressor or E27 - good riddance...).
Why good riddance to E27 and FETpressor? Those are two of the best sounding plugins in the entire market.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Why good riddance to E27 and FETpressor? Those are two of the best sounding plugins in the entire market.
Agreed. I wish the e27 was more CPU efficient so I could to run it in a virtual console
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

They are good sounding, no doubt about that, but getting rid of them after PSP went iLok was painless for me . Getting rid of Buspressor or Oldtimer would be much worse.

So, it's my personal preference, not meant as criticism. I haven't seen a PSP plug in that sounded bad (I used to own almost all of them..).
I have seen iLok software bring a system to its knees. No plug in is worth that, no matter how good it sounds.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm just surprised that iLok is such a hassle for you that it forces E27 to the curb. I think it's one of the best eqs ever made and has become indispensable, but if iLok brings your system down I'd understand.

That begs the question: what specifically is happening with iLok? And did they offer a solution? I've had no shortage of frowns for iLok but that was a few years ago -- they've been rock solid lately.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had no shortage of frowns for iLok but that was a few years ago
It's a few years ago that I've used it - never again.

Copy protection that goes into the system at Kernel level (to talk to USB devices) is bizarre. Writing system level software requires much more care than a DAW or a plug-in, because it affects the whole system (as opposed to just the DAW, or making a single plug-in crash).
Apart from obvious quality and support issues that have been well documented over the years, the design makes no sense from a technical point of view.

There are so many great plug-ins out there these days that putting up with this kind of nonsense is completely unnecessary, IMHO.

PSP already had a great copy protection scheme, that allowed authorisation of all plug-ins with a single file. Downgrading to iLok makes no technical sense or business sense, IMHO.

I've seen several guys selling their PSP plug-ins after the change to iLok (myself included). Would be interesting to see if they actually won any new customers due to the change.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's a few years ago that I've used it - never again.

Copy protection that goes into the system at Kernel level (to talk to USB devices) is bizarre. Writing system level software requires much more care than a DAW or a plug-in, because it affects the whole system (as opposed to just the DAW, or making a single plug-in crash).
Apart from obvious quality and support issues that have been well documented over the years, the design makes no sense from a technical point of view.

There are so many great plug-ins out there these days that putting up with this kind of nonsense is completely unnecessary, IMHO.

PSP already had a great copy protection scheme, that allowed authorisation of all plug-ins with a single file. Downgrading to iLok makes no technical sense or business sense, IMHO.

I've seen several guys selling their PSP plug-ins after the change to iLok (myself included). Would be interesting to see if they actually won any new customers due to the change.
iLok's merits or detriments (which are a big topic for another thread) aside, PSP's authorization file architecture allowed one purchased product to be passed around to several users. That was bad for business and bound to be ejected at some point.

E27 does not require iLok. The latest version might, but there's no reason to update to that iteration if the file authorization version is preferred.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
PSP's authorization file architecture allowed one purchased product to be passed around to several users.
That's another point of contention.

As a paying customer, I want convenience (and good quality tech) for the money I spend, and I couldn't care less about 'non-paying' users.

As a 'non-paying' user, it's highly questionable if iLok would motivate one to actually spend money. Especially as an iLok version is, by nature, more compromised than a non-iLok version, in terms of software quality, stability and customer support.

As a 'non-paying' user, the other question is whether it's worth spending money on PSP FETpressor, when the native FET compressor plug-ins in, say, Logic or DP are in the same ballpark in terms of quality. (I compared the MOTU FET compressor plug-in in DP with FETpressor, I preferred FETpressor, but not by a large margin..).
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are good sounding, no doubt about that, but getting rid of them after PSP went iLok was painless for me . Getting rid of Buspressor or Oldtimer would be much worse.

So, it's my personal preference, not meant as criticism. I haven't seen a PSP plug in that sounded bad (I used to own almost all of them..).
I have seen iLok software bring a system to its knees. No plug in is worth that, no matter how good it sounds.
The ilok bringing a system to its knees?

I swear I don’t know a single person that’s actuallly had an ilok issue. The entirety of my knowledge of it ever happening is based exclusively on anonymous interweb chatter that seems to be its own groupspeak boogieman... like Nessie or Sasquatch
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The ilok bringing a system to its knees?

I swear I don’t know a single person that’s actuallly had an ilok issue. The entirety of my knowledge of it ever happening is based exclusively on anonymous interweb chatter that seems to be its own groupspeak boogieman... like Nessie or Sasquatch
ilok is a necessary evil for me... too many good plugs that I use everyday are on ilok. it just sucks to lose one and combined with the steinberg dongle for nexus, take up 2 USB ports.
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Nut

wow

I just purchased this thing for the amazing price of $19 after using my Mix With The Masters coupon and taking advantage of the current $29 sale price. Now, after messing around with it for 5 minutes I can't believe I paid what I paid for the UAD collection, this thing is dope in the 1176 land! Kudos to PSP!
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Yep, it's a cracker.

I've been using it on the stereo buss lately, it sounds great there as well as on individual tracks/busses.

What's next for PSP? These guys have been in the game for years, they've no doubt accumulated a stack of knowledge and skill.
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Addict

Can't authorize Fetpressor on my Macmini with 10.13.6. Reg utility writes me: "Problem with licence file !!!". I had no such installation problems on my Macbook Pro with 10.9.5. Maybe SIP or something similar interferes?
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS View Post
Can't authorize Fetpressor on my Macmini with 10.13.6. Reg utility writes me: "Problem with licence file !!!". I had no such installation problems on my Macbook Pro with 10.9.5. Maybe SIP or something similar interferes?
I had a similar issue a long time ago. The solution from PSP support was:

Unzip the file. Copy your authorisation file to desktop and copy it again to the zipped folder. Run it.
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had a similar issue a long time ago. The solution from PSP support was:

Unzip the file. Copy your authorisation file to desktop and copy it again to the zipped folder. Run it.
Thanks a lot!!! I just copied unzipped folder on the desktop and run app from there. Everything worked now!!!
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

To me, this compressor can sound and feel like those little vac rac limiters I used to use, which I can't get from anything else .. Fast and creamy even at high gain reduction, all with a very cool and unique attack and release.
Nice one PSP !
Old 22nd November 2018
Here for the gear
How about smaller version of FETpressor (like OldTimer)? Linked attack and release. And saturation control.

Or link button for attack and release in current plugin (I noticed that best results when relese is set oppsite to attack (att: 10 o'clock / rel: 2; att: 11 / rel: 1)

M/S mode is needed too.

And, maybe, option to boost lower harmonics. FETpressor is weak on low frequencies material (kick, bass). Despite other 1176 plugins. So, additional saturation for boosting lows ("transformer"), or just changing emphasis of current saturation algorithm in lower spectrum region.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

2 years after its release - everyone still loving this plugin? :¬)

I've been rediscovering it again this last week (comparing to Arousor for utility/workhorse) and have fallen for it (again). Fantastic on snare and vocals. Yet to try it on the mixbus.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

It’s on almost every bass track I mix. I’ve made good use of it on other things too, but I can’t get away from it on bass.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Addict

On every mix somewhere since release. Love it.
Old 16th December 2018
ditto here... it's on one or all of kick, snare, some kind of vocals in each and every session two years running.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
It’s on almost every bass track I mix. I’ve made good use of it on other things too, but I can’t get away from it on bass.
Synth or real bass?? What settings??
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
Synth or real bass?? What settings??
Mostly real bass. I usually skip the blend and HPF (I wanna control those subs), with attack somewhere in the middle and fast to middle release. Ratio and tgreashold depend on how smooshed it got on the way in, etc.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
2 years after its release - everyone still loving this plugin? :¬)
Yep, it's still getting a lot of use. 2018 brought countless new compressors -- all of them seemingly very good -- but FETpressor still stands on or near the top shelf.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

This is one of those tools like an old ashly compressor... it isn’t sexy, I don’t grab it for character... but it just does its job quietly with no fanfare

It’s appropriately “grabby” in an outboard comp sort of way
Old 18th December 2018
I still use it, even after buying UAD, Slate, Kush etc., it's my default compressor if I'm not sure which way I want to go, and go to for bass
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This is one of those tools like an old ashly compressor... it isn’t sexy, I don’t grab it for character... but it just does its job quietly with no fanfare

It’s appropriately “grabby” in an outboard comp sort of way
Yeah, it's the analog-esque attack that keeps me coming back.

If you haven't, you should try the Black Rooster blue and blackface compressors - based on old Ashly comps. Really great on drums.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Great first comp for vocals. FETpressor into El Rey is marvellous.

FETpressor + Nebula (or AA) preamps is also handy.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Great first comp for vocals. FETpressor into El Rey is marvellous.

FETpressor + Nebula (or AA) preamps is also handy.
Just curious, how are you using it in that chain? FETpressor with a fast attack and El Rey set slower?
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious, how are you using it in that chain? FETpressor with a fast attack and El Rey set slower?
Yep, taking (edit) 5-7dB in FETP and 3-5 dB off El-Ray.

Last edited by b0se; 18th December 2018 at 09:34 PM..
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
Yeah, it's the analog-esque attack that keeps me coming back.

If you haven't, you should try the Black Rooster blue and blackface compressors - based on old Ashly comps. Really great on drums.
I know... I have their elop comps, so I imagine I'll get those too lol. Their LA3A (outboard that I've used a lot) is crazy good.

Another sort of related product is everything that Fuse Audio Labs has released... Their LA4 (another unit I'm very familiar with) is amazing... Their VCL-25A is stupendous in that very syrup-ey way

The Greg Wells AA plugin sounds really amazing, but, I just don't truck with AA.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search