The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th January 2017
Gear Addict

"Slate dupees so dingussy now – praising unreleased products"

Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
"Slate dupees so dingussy now – praising unreleased products"

The FG 116 is already released and sounds great ... so far.

FG-116 Blue Series FET Compressors - Slate Digital
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Addict

You edited the part where you said the FG-Stress was great. Cheater!

But fine, I just wanted to babble anyway. And I wonder if the FG-Stress will be great.

And the FETPressor made such a nice impression at first, but then I thought it made vocals 'smaller' than the compressor I had on there before. Must investigate further, as one says on GS.

Last edited by Dimmy; 5th January 2017 at 08:56 AM..
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
You edited the part where you said the FG-Stress was great. Cheater!

But fine, I just wanted to babble anyway. And I wonder if the FG-Stress will be great.

And the FETPressor made such a nice impression at first, but then I thought it made vocals 'smaller' than the compressor I had on there before. Must investigate further, as one says on GS.
Yes I corrected the stupid automatic gear link thing.
In my first sentence I did write FG 116 in the second one it made FG Stress out of it...Can I switch this off?
Old 5th January 2017
I really wanted to not like it (to not have to buy it), but after the demoing I decided that it's very good and I'm buying it I like the attack and release range, it's very easy to hear the knob value changes, simple and effective.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I really wanted to not like it (to not have to buy it), but after the demoing I decided that it's very good and I'm buying it I like the attack and release range, it's very easy to hear the knob value changes, simple and effective.
don't feel too bad…i came to the same conclusion.

ej
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Me to!
Purshased!
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

after purchase, I put it straight to use on paying work and found the initial "impressiveness" I experienced was still there, particularly on vocals, but, also, I was surprised at how usable it was on on the bus. a great tool so far.

(a little background: I've been doing this along time, starting with tape/all the old gear including the venerable fet stuff, then ptools 3 on up to current,.....now working hybrid :neve desk/outboard along-side the sw plugs)

Last edited by ssdeluxe; 5th January 2017 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

this is definitely the best software compressor ive ever used for nailing elements in their right place in the mix. the attacks you can give kicks and snares, is absolutely unparalleled -- a type of heft and body, which doesn't have that traditional digital struggling clicky vacuum sound. sounds luxurious, viby, and elegant, even under heavy load!
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's a little amusing... If we were talking about an outboard compressor this would fall somewhere along the lines of a dbx in that it does its job well without gobs of character getting in the way... But since it's a plugin compressor, people are losing their damn minds!

I love it too... Instant buy. But, wondering if all the other ITB comps we have aren't really up to snuff... Naw, right?
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It's a little amusing... If we were talking about an outboard compressor this would fall somewhere along the lines of a dbx in that it does its job well without gobs of character getting in the way... But since it's a plugin compressor, people are losing their damn minds!

I love it too... Instant buy. But, wondering if all the other ITB comps we have aren't really up to snuff... Naw, right?

good points bgood, I think every single one of these comparable"worthy tools" is in the eye of the beholder and dependant on source, and useful/different for the purpose needed.

(I never use templates for plugins on my buses or tracks, I prefer to listen, and use what I need when needed, and if it doesn't need anything...nothing goes on. )

It is incredibly difficult to describe on the web the way stuff "feels", move the gain a little...and one plug is better than the other...lol....the way I "feel" about the changes when adding software, the way it reacts is what I look for (I think this comes from coming up through analog/outboard in my career)....I think Sirocco had a great take on it "the heft and body and attack/rel characteristics" puts a smile on my face.

again, really enjoying it so far, not getting rid of any of the others though, that I have taken time to carefully pick out. (, for example, I'm still using the renn comp, works great!)
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

I bought this I've early on for the same reasons listed here. I wouldn't say other ITB compressors aren't up to snuff though. I've used this on vocals and snare already in a mix, but I couldn't get it to sound as good in a rock bad situation as Arousor, which held things just as tight but had more cajones, which is what was needed in that scenario. I recently checked out the Black Rooster LA3A, and preferred that one in bass too, but it was still second to Arousor in that one track.

Different sounds will work on different things is all I'm saying I guess. This is definitely a class plugin though. It's biggest drawback in my opinion is that it looks so much like an 1176 that people will expect it to sound like one, when this is definitely it's own thing.

Please no anti Arousor discussion. I only brought it up to express my opinion that there are different sounding ITB compressors that are just as good and may work as well or better on different sources (or to different ears).
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

There's something in the attack and grab of this compressor that really feels analog. IME, most ITB compression is sharper on transients and more fussy to set - not necessarily less useful, just less effortless.

I find I often have to fine-tune eq settings after dialing in compression ITB. When I'm working with outboard, this is pretty rare. It's not like the end result is markedly different, it just slows the workflow a bit.

I look forward to more affordable and awesome ITB compressors like this in the next few years.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I bought this I've early on for the same reasons listed here. I wouldn't say other ITB compressors aren't up to snuff though. I've used this on vocals and snare already in a mix, but I couldn't get it to sound as good in a rock bad situation as Arousor, which held things just as tight but had more cajones, which is what was needed in that scenario. I recently checked out the Black Rooster LA3A, and preferred that one in bass too, but it was still second to Arousor in that one track.

Different sounds will work on different things is all I'm saying I guess. This is definitely a class plugin though. It's biggest drawback in my opinion is that it looks so much like an 1176 that people will expect it to sound like one, when this is definitely it's own thing.

Please no anti Arousor discussion. I only brought it up to express my opinion that there are different sounding ITB compressors that are just as good and may work as well or better on different sources (or to different ears).

People keep mentioning arouser. There is a hardware distressor in the studio that I work in but it rarely gets used...especially on vocals. Since arouser is suppose the be a virtual distressor it hasn't bee on my radar. Am I wrong? Is it better than sknote?
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
People keep mentioning arouser. There is a hardware distressor in the studio that I work in but it rarely gets used...especially on vocals. Since arouser is suppose the be a virtual distressor it hasn't bee on my radar. Am I wrong? Is it better than sknote?
It's got an amazing attack, especially with the attack mod knob. The saturation is more flexible than a Distessor too, but no Brit Mode, no opto mode yet. It's kind if it's own thing, but can do Distressor sounds at the right settings.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's got an amazing attack, especially with the attack mod knob. The saturation is more flexible than a Distessor too, but no Brit Mode, no opto mode yet. It's kind if it's own thing, but can do Distressor sounds at the right settings.
I must be the only person on gearslutz who never used a distressor. What So great ascot it? I have Arousor its pretty great. I actually forgotten about that compressor. Idk y its really great. I think i been So used to lindell lately 254. Sorry to hijack thread.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't get too deep grasshopper : )
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdeluxe View Post
good points bgood, I think every single one of these comparable"worthy tools" is in the eye of the beholder and dependant on source, and useful/different for the purpose needed.

(I never use templates for plugins on my buses or tracks, I prefer to listen, and use what I need when needed, and if it doesn't need anything...nothing goes on. )

It is incredibly difficult to describe on the web the way stuff "feels", move the gain a little...and one plug is better than the other...lol....the way I "feel" about the changes when adding software, the way it reacts is what I look for (I think this comes from coming up through analog/outboard in my career)....I think Sirocco had a great take on it "the heft and body and attack/rel characteristics" puts a smile on my face.

again, really enjoying it so far, not getting rid of any of the others though, that I have taken time to carefully pick out. (, for example, I'm still using the renn comp, works great!)
Ren comp all day long, brother.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Ren comp all day long, brother.
All that Ren stuff is still great... Vibey and thick... I think waves could do new GUIs on all that Ren series, put CLA, Butch Vig, anybody famous for mixing name on it and charge 199 each all day long.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lol... My only beef at this point is price point... It sounds quite good.
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

The sound from this little badboy is really nice. My new go to
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
All that Ren stuff is still great... Vibey and thick... I think waves could do new GUIs on all that Ren series, put CLA, Butch Vig, anybody famous for mixing name on it and charge 199 each all day long.
LOL
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Love PSP stuff here.

Seems like there are always issues with AAX in PT. I have installed/uninstalled/installed both with and without the Multi-installer and the plugin is unresponsive. When I click on the knobs to change parameter I get this constantly:

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0xFFFFFFFF868AA170

When I click ok PT immediately crashes.
Same problem here
Windows 10 PT 12.7
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, dont give them ideas!!!
Old 11th January 2017
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Same problem here
Windows 10 PT 12.7
I believe it was a conflict with Avid Space. Once I removed it from the session there were no further problems.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I believe it was a conflict with Avid Space. Once I removed it from the session there were no further problems.
I dont have Avid Space
Old 11th January 2017
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
I dont have Avid Space
Then I would look for other plugins that may be in conflict or may need to be updated themselves.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

PSP + Windows + Pro Tools = problems; in my past experience anyway.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Not doubting your word brother, but I've never had any probs with PSP plugs on Win/Pro Tools.
Old 17th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

PSP FETpressor = WOW, great saturation and color.

Nice compression/attack/release

Bought it.

Marc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search