The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
I've been trying it on more sources and it's pretty versatile without sounding too plain. I also notice that it has a pretty high CPU usage when compared to the Softube FET and CL1B. I'm always surprised by how good the Softube stuff sounds with extremely low CPU hit. I hope PSP is able to optimize it further. It might make it onto more tracks.

That's surprising. I'm only getting 1-2% for Fet and 1% for CL1B.
Old 1st January 2017
Here for the gear

I took my time auditioning and listening, against other fet plugs I have (several, no UAD however), and, as always, only YOU can decide for yourself.

I agree with folks who say the action on this one is "unique". This is a very musical "feel", and, purchased for that reason. Very impressed, and will be another great tool for the tool box.

p.s. on another note: what I found very interesting about doing "shoot outs", is how use-able alot of "ho-hum, run of the mill, nothing particularly special, or the latest and greatest in buzz" can be, I found I could get useful sounds out of every compressor I tried against the FETpressor, with one exception: the protools stock 1176...that one was pretty dead in feel/sound for me....we truly have come a long way.....and a great reminder to stay "open" when evaluating, and don't look at pretty graphs/meter's......."open minded listening".....and make sure you are level matched ...lol

thank you PSP for your dedication to "musicality", no fanboy here, just someone who appreciate"s the effort it takes to make "musical tools".
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
That's surprising. I'm only getting 1-2% for Fet and 1% for CL1B.
I think you misunderstood me. The Softube plugins are very low CPU. The PSP FETPressor is much higher. I'd say double to triple at least. So I hope they can optimize it at some point. For now, I will stick with the Softube stuff when I need a lot of plugins going.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
I think you misunderstood me. The Softube plugins are very low CPU. The PSP FETPressor is much higher. I'd say double to triple at least. So I hope they can optimize it at some point. For now, I will stick with the Softube stuff when I need a lot of plugins going.
No, I understood. I just think my definition of high cpu is a little different to yours, that's all.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

This afternoon I fired up my hardware 1176 letting it warm up so I could compare this plugin to the real-deal, but once I started playing with the plugin I stopped caring about the comparison. Unless I'm specifically needing an 1176 (i.e. for a remix which had originally used the hardware) I won't *need* to emulate the old compressor. The plugin is excellent in its own right and tackles the same territory as an 1176. Sometimes not as well, but often as good, and in some cases better.

As is true in most cases, we need to worry less about what our gear compares to and instead find their strengths and use accordingly. The FETpressor may not treat electric bass in the same way I'm used to w/ an 1176, but it might bring something new to the table and if I spend all my time trying to capture the Urei behavior I'll be missing out. That's what I'm going with, and I suspect that the PSP will get a lot of use this year.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Head

Much wisdom there, Elambo. I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 2nd January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Interesting, I wanted this so badly to be as good as my UAD 1176 mk2.
I couldn't find one instance, not a one where this was even close to sounding as good as my UAD mk2.
I couldn't disagree with you more.
rsp
Didn't say this would replace my UAD 1176mkii, bc those compress and saturate differently to the FETpressor and I use and love those too. But, I use my hardware for some things that plugins "can't" do, and this plugin does stuff that I haven't really heard in a plugin. One example that is easy to hear, is try it on a snare, hit it hard with the attack slower to let transients through, how this plugin reacts is more natural, with more non linear characteristics like hardware to me, where the snare hits don't sound all the same. And of coarse the fact that it doesn't take up all my CPU to get that result is what impressed me. I feel like when UA plugins makes better plugins, they just take a lot to run, and for me, they also haven't nailed some characteristic that I often turn to hardware to do for me, hence the MkIII reference.

Best

Last edited by Dias; 2nd January 2017 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Ua 1176 to uad 1176mkii
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Dang I really thought TuCo was gonna be the last compressor I'd buy for a long while but at $50 PSP FET was too hard to pass up! At least I have the Slate Bundle so when FG Stress finally drops I'm already covered there.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
As is true in most cases, we need to worry less about what our gear compares to and instead find their strengths and use accordingly.
With this very phrase, you are threatening to crush the entire marketing of virtual
processors

As most people have no experience with the emulated gear, they (we) need
something to linger on. and what better way is then to work on your glorious
HiHat sequencer track with "the processor that started Rock n' Roll\NBA\the global
warming" (yes, ah ha... "the processor" - not the mixer, not even the artist. all
graet songs were AI'ed by a processor. ah ha ).
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
With this very phrase, you are threatening to crush the entire marketing of virtual
processors

HiHat sequencer track with "the processor that started Rock n' Roll\NBA\the global
warming" (yes, ah ha... "the processor" - not the mixer, not even the artist. all
So true..
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

I love how this lovely pice grab stuff and sounds open in same time
Nice work PSP
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

The back and forth on this compressor is a microcosm of GS, in general...

Those who only reach for a compressor -- wait for it -- when they need a compressor I think will really dig this. Those who slap a comp on every (or most) track as a matter of habit/workflow regardless of whether dynamic processing is needed may not be blown away with it. In other words, it's a great compressor... It's not an amazing end all tone box.

I'm not trying to get into a whole thing about compression or workflow or noob vs pro or analog vs digital or know what you're doing vs haven't a clue... Rather, I think that it's an honest product that does what it's been made to do exceedingly well.

Personally, I always record hybrid but go through phases where I process 100% ITB, or mostly with outboard or hybrid... In general I just dig outboard compression a lot more through hardware. This is a plugin that can easily replace "ho hum" outboard... Not the character pieces, but the stuff that just, well, compresses cleanly without imparting a sonic watermark on the signal.

So, I love it... I understand why some would say "meh"... But I don't think the "meh" crowd is judging its usefulness by the same yardstick as I. In fact, I think that this observation holds true with most plugin threads here on GS. Particularly those that devolve into bitter troll thunderdomes... Cough cough: black rooster, sknote...

I don't know about y'all, but between pedals, lots of outboard and about 173 thousand dirt plugins, I'm up to my ears in "character" or "tone" boxes. Now all I will buy are tools that do a particular task exceedingly well.
Old 2nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
processors

The thing is though.. we ALL go through this process of first purchasing on a whim, then testing and re-testing, purchasing more, rinse and repeat.. until we have enough experience to start realizing that the only thing that matters is the end result and that you can get there multiple ways.

Doesn't matter if you go the analogue, digital or hybrid route. The "gearslut cycle of life" will happen no matter what.

Oh.. and there's another driving motivator. Gear and new stuff is FUN!
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
we ALL go through this process of first purchasing on a whim, then testing and re-testing, purchasing more, rinse and repeat.. until we have enough experience to start realizing that the only thing that matters is the end result and that you can get there multiple ways.
Yes, but nowadays - unless one is a seasoned professional - we are defined by our
tools. I know of some great tech who uses URS plugins to this day and doesn't
give a $hit.
It's not cool, though

Which is sad but that's how it is in a world where EVERYTHING is disposable commodity.
And I mean EVERYTHING. even the things we cherish as "Tools".

Quote:
Doesn't matter if you go the analogue, digital or hybrid route. The "gearslut cycle of life" will happen no matter what.
Right.

And the funny (but mostly sad) thing is that given you are a pro (or just possess
of great aural aesthetics) - you can switch processors, ditch ones for others...
It'll sound (more or less) THE SAME (ie. it will sound good - or bad - regardless
of the tools you use. the difference between the "mundane" contemporary
tools and the "pro" - or hyped - ones would be negligible at best).

Quote:
Oh.. and there's another driving motivator. Gear and new stuff is FUN!
Yes, the epidemic of y2k : "I BUY\CONSUME THEREFORE I AM"
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

ok here is my take on the psp fet comp.

1. it is pretty transparent. if you re looking for that 1176 tone and saturation look elsewhere

2. it feels likes the attack and release are much faster that an 1176 or any of the other emulations. Also not as grabby by a long shot.

3. briefly shot it out with ua 2-1176, ik 76, uad 1176ae, uad 1176 rev E, uad 1176 rev A, bomb factory 1176 and bomb factory purple mc77 on a vocal. The closest tone and vibe wise to the ua 2-1176 hardware was the bomb factory purple mc77. the psp fet is a lot cleaner and more transparent then all of the above.

4. in terms of actual musicality i preferred the psp Fet compressor to all of the above, especially for a vocal. now when I combined it with a saturation plugin (specifically RA by crane song/Dave Hill), it was a matter of preference between the combo and the hardware. Both sounded 3d and had vibe.

5. I tried a few other comps (ren comp, pa Vertigo comp, bx opto, mjuc, pa mpressor, massey ct 4-5) just to see. On vocals it is by far the most musical i've heard to date as far as actual compression. For character in and of itself it is way too transparent for my taste but it sounds very open which i love.

6. Because of what i can do with it in combination with ra, its musicality, transparency, punch and considering it is $50…it is a no brainer and I will buy.

ej

Last edited by ejsongs; 3rd January 2017 at 07:32 AM..
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but nowadays - unless one is a seasoned professional - we are defined by our
tools. I know of some great tech who uses URS plugins to this day and doesn't
give a $hit.
It's not cool, though

Which is sad but that's how it is in a world where EVERYTHING is disposable commodity.
And I mean EVERYTHING. even the things we cherish as "Tools".

Right.

And the funny (but mostly sad) thing is that given you are a pro (or just possess
of great aural aesthetics) - you can switch processors, ditch ones for others...
It'll sound (more or less) THE SAME (ie. it will sound good - or bad - regardless
of the tools you use. the difference between the "mundane" contemporary
tools and the "pro" - or hyped - ones would be negligible at best).

Yes, the epidemic of y2k : "I BUY\CONSUME THEREFORE I AM"
Are you a maker of music or an engineer or mixer? I only ask because outside of the GS/pro bubble, normal folk just judge me on my tunes.. Not how the sausage is made.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The back and forth on this compressor is a microcosm of GS, in general...

Those who only reach for a compressor -- wait for it -- when they need a compressor I think will really dig this. Those who slap a comp on every (or most) track as a matter of habit/workflow regardless of whether dynamic processing is needed may not be blown away with it. In other words, it's a great compressor... It's not an amazing end all tone box.

I'm not trying to get into a whole thing about compression or workflow or noob vs pro or analog vs digital or know what you're doing vs haven't a clue... Rather, I think that it's an honest product that does what it's been made to do exceedingly well.

Personally, I always record hybrid but go through phases where I process 100% ITB, or mostly with outboard or hybrid... In general I just dig outboard compression a lot more through hardware. This is a plugin that can easily replace "ho hum" outboard... Not the character pieces, but the stuff that just, well, compresses cleanly without imparting a sonic watermark on the signal.

So, I love it... I understand why some would say "meh"... But I don't think the "meh" crowd is judging its usefulness by the same yardstick as I. In fact, I think that this observation holds true with most plugin threads here on GS. Particularly those that devolve into bitter troll thunderdomes... Cough cough: black rooster, sknote...

I don't know about y'all, but between pedals, lots of outboard and about 173 thousand dirt plugins, I'm up to my ears in "character" or "tone" boxes. Now all I will buy are tools that do a particular task exceedingly well.
my thoughts exactly. I don't usually go thru a bunch of shootouts of gear and plugins because i should really be spending time making music and finishing projects. In this case I was really looking for a reason NOT to buy this but instead i recognized it for what it was…a clean comp that compresses very well with an open top at a great price. In that i don't have that exactly in my tool kit…i took the plunge and bought it.
Old 4th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
ok here is my take on the psp fet comp.

1. it is pretty transparent. if you re looking for that 1176 tone and saturation look elsewhere

2. it feels likes the attack and release are much faster that an 1176 or any of the other emulations. Also not as grabby by a long shot.

3. briefly shot it out with ua 2-1176, ik 76, uad 1176ae, uad 1176 rev E, uad 1176 rev A, bomb factory 1176 and bomb factory purple mc77 on a vocal. The closest tone and vibe wise to the ua 2-1176 hardware was the bomb factory purple mc77. the psp fet is a lot cleaner and more transparent then all of the above.

4. in terms of actual musicality i preferred the psp Fet compressor to all of the above, especially for a vocal. now when I combined it with a saturation plugin (specifically RA by crane song/Dave Hill), it was a matter of preference between the combo and the hardware. Both sounded 3d and had vibe.

5. I tried a few other comps (ren comp, pa Vertigo comp, bx opto, mjuc, pa mpressor, massey ct 4-5) just to see. On vocals it is by far the most musical i've heard to date as far as actual compression. For character in and of itself it is way too transparent for my taste but it sounds very open which i love.

6. Because of what i can do with it in combination with ra, its musicality, transparency, punch and considering it is $50…it is a no brainer and I will buy.

ej
EJ my friend,

Do you have the VMR 116 Black/Modern/Vintage version?
That's the one I use on vocal's now-a-days 90% of the time.
I'm starting to get into the Arouser on vocals as it's really good but, it's hard to beat the ease of the 1176.

I may demo this since you've mentioned this.

Marc
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
EJ my friend,

Do you have the VMR 116 Black/Modern/Vintage version?
That's the one I use on vocal's now-a-days 90% of the time.
I'm starting to get into the Arouser on vocals as it's really good but, it's hard to beat the ease of the 1176.

I may demo this since you've mentioned this.

Marc
hey marc!!!

happy new year to ya.

No i don't have the vmr stuff although I hear it is pretty good. Like you i have so many 1073 emulations and 1176's that i just got tired…none sound as good as the real things so I have given up on the emulation game. I briefly thought about arouser but to be honest I have a distressor and vocals is not where it shines for me.

I either go for plugins that have a lot of mojo, are ultra transparent or are super unique. the psp fet is different enough from everything else and was at the right price to justify.

I'm working on my hardware game and filling the holes i have there. I hope to get a cl1b, api 2500 and manley vari mu by year's end (hopefully) after i take care of some other things...so i have to pull the plug on plugins…lol.

ej
Old 4th January 2017
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey marc!!!

happy new year to ya.

No i don't have the vmr stuff although I hear it is pretty good. Like you i have so many 1073 emulations and 1176's that i just got tired…none sound as good as the real things so I have given up on the emulation game. I briefly thought about arouser but to be honest I have a distressor and vocals is not where it shines for me.

I either go for plugins that have a lot of mojo, are ultra transparent or are super unique. the psp fet is different enough from everything else and was at the right price to justify.

I'm working on my hardware game and filling the holes i have there. I hope to get a cl1b, api 2500 and manley vari mu by year's end (hopefully) after i take care of some other things...so i have to pull the plug on plugins…lol.

ej
I hear ya man... I gave up the hardware a longtime ago but it's good to see that you are sticking with it.
When I visit LA, I'll have to stop by and check out the spot.

So, with the PSP, is it ultra Transparent or does it have that Mojo?

Marc
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

It possesses the rarest quality... Transparent mojo
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I hear ya man... I gave up the hardware a longtime ago but it's good to see that you are sticking with it.
When I visit LA, I'll have to stop by and check out the spot.

So, with the PSP, is it ultra Transparent or does it have that Mojo?

Marc
bgood is kinda telling the truth here. it doesn't really add harmonic color…but the way it hugs consonants and syllables in a vocal is uncanny. I tried it in conjunction with the hardware mas saturator by overstayer. the mas took care of the harmonic color and the psp fet made the vocal come alive…it was truly magical to me.

try the demo and let me know your thoughts.

ej
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Could you, please, do a little test / shoot out against Voxengo Marquis II...?
Can't demo FetPressor as i am on Snow leo
Thanks
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
bgood is kinda telling the truth here. it doesn't really add harmonic color…but the way it hugs consonants and syllables in a vocal is uncanny. I tried it in conjunction with the hardware mas saturator by overstayer. the mas took care of the harmonic color and the psp fet made the vocal come alive…it was truly magical to me.

try the demo and let me know your thoughts.

ej
I try to occasionally tell at least a partial truth...

Hey... Are you putting saturation in front of or after PSP?

I've been experimenting trying to feed eq and sat into my hw 1176s to get a blue stripe hybrid thing...
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Could you, please, do a little test / shoot out against Voxengo Marquis II...?
Can't demo FetPressor as i am on Snow leo
Thanks
But, what if it amazing? You still can't install it!
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I try to occasionally tell at least a partial truth...

Hey... Are you putting saturation in front of or after PSP?

I've been experimenting trying to feed eq and sat into my hw 1176s to get a blue stripe hybrid thing...
so far I have been putting the saturation before the comp but i am not sure if before or after will make that much of a difference. obviously the eq before or after can make a difference.

let us know if you are successful in achieving your blue strip thing…

ej
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
so far I have been putting the saturation before the comp but i am not sure if before or after will make that much of a difference. obviously the eq before or after can make a difference.

let us know if you are successful in achieving your blue strip thing…

ej
Will do... I was just pushing mid boosts into one the 1176 rev d's, but nothing remotely scientific... I'll have to dig up some real data on what freqs the bluey is boosting...
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's hard not to have a soft spot for PSP. Looking forward to trying this one out.
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But, what if it amazing? You still can't install it!
Ho boy, you're so damn right : please do nothing
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

Very taste dependent as always.
What makes me happy is that the modern SW comps start to clamp the signal down like hardware would do it...

I ABed the PSP-FET Pressor against Steven Slates FG - 116 Modern on Lead Vocal.

I tend to like the FG - 116 more both a great compressors and another reason is that I love the Slate subscription plan which makes sure I always get new tools and I get updated algorithms as well. But that's just me....happy new year to all....

Last edited by Mr.HOLMES; 5th January 2017 at 02:40 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search