The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Software clones now far out number the hardware clones on the market. And if you already own one good hardware clone you don't need to own all the rest. And I'm sure many people have more than a couple 1176s in software.
i have one 1176 and honestly i don't like the 1176 never have. i could never get it to sound right, almost always had to find that sweet spot.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

this doesn't sound like a 1176 to me which is why i love this thing.
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Addict
Wasn't to stoked on another 1176 plugin but had to give it a spin. Got to say it sounds great and for the price its a no brainer. Totally get the 3A comparison, to me its the release that has that opto feel in the slower settings but the attack is very much FET flavored. Also very versatile! Thumbsup PSP
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Bass + super fast release => distortion, no matter if it's in the analogue domain or digital domain. 1176, the hardware, distorts also very easily if you push it with fastest attack, fastest release on sub bass heavy material. It goes all stomp-box on ya.

There's just no way around it. Once you approach instant release and attack you are basically creating a waveshaper.
You're sure ?... because Stillwell's Rocket doesn't and it it said to emulate 1176
(I tried few more who are not 1176 emulations - directly or implicitly - with very short attack and/or release).

And mind you - with Rocket, it's not a matter of Milliseconds - it's frigging PICO SECONDS .

Lets call it a bug ?...
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
i have one 1176 and honestly i don't like the 1176 never have. i could never get it to sound right, almost always had to find that sweet spot.
Sfx: tires screeching, crashing glass
VO: whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

Lol... Good on you for being honest. Not any one thing is awesome for everyone. I read somewhere that the Tony Bennett duos stuff was tracked on a neve and 1176s were used a lot. It rocked my brain palace before it dawned on me, "yeah stupid... These things weren't made to distort, saturate and mangle... Of course you can run them clean."
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post

And mind you - with Rocket, it's not a matter of Milliseconds - it's frigging PICO SECONDS .
I'm not saying that fetpressor is bugless, I didn't try it, I will but...

You got it all twisted... Rocket has micro-seconds on attack, but mili-seconds on the release same as fetpressor, if you don't believe me check the manual...

You clearly see where are 30ms on Fetpressor, but on rocket, this is 30ms settings on the release (or 35 to be more precise):

If you'd look closer next to release knob you should see sign "ms" and not "us" like on attack.

I have a feeling that you compared fetpressor's 30ms release to rocket 300ms.
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Tried the FETpressor and I think the attack is great - excellent sound and punch. I compared with AA Rose FET and 'Rose' just seems to add a weight and glue particularly on lower frequencies whereas FETpressor sounds lighter like most algorithmic comps - as if they're not 100% wet. Having said that, I found FETpressor easier to set than Rose, making it easy to smooth out dynamics on bass etc.
Old 30th December 2016
Here for the gear

Just demoed this yesterday... the best way I can describe this plugin's quality is if UA made a MKIII plugin and one instance took up a whole octo card... but the difference is you can actually use a bunch of these without a card!!... if you don't own a UAD card, another way to describe it is when you're on Tinder and you swipe right on a smoking hot girl and you match! but then you come to find out she's a fake or a catfish... the difference is FETpressor is the real deal!... we live in good times ladies and gentlemen, plugins are starting to sound real good!
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
You're sure ?... because Stillwell's Rocket doesn't and it it said to emulate 1176
(I tried few more who are not 1176 emulations - directly or implicitly - with very short attack and/or release).

Lets call it a bug ?...
bmanic is correct: Compressors with very fast release times that are set too fast will distort bass frequencies. Here's a quote from an answer in Sound on Sound that describes the phenomenon:
"As was mentioned earlier, there's also the risk that too fast a release setting may result in the compressor trying to follow the amplitude waveform of low‑frequency signals, resulting in audible bass distortion."
Q. What release settings should I*use on a*limiter? | Sound On Sound
You might want to keep in mind that some compressor plugins either do not have extremely fast release times, have auto release times (as mentioned before) or are inaccurate in the release times shown on the plugin. For example, the Metric Halo Channel Strip has a hidden hold time in its release that was discovered when tested by another developer (I believe it was Andy from Cytomic) in a thread here on gearslutz.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Also keep in mind that an arbitrary label like "release" is just that.. random, without any real general consensus.

Think about it.. what does 30ms even mean? 30ms of what? Going from 0dB to -60dB? From +12dB to -90dB in 30ms?

The only measurement of attack and release envelope that can make numeric sense is what DBX used.. which was dB/s but even their label was ambiguous at best as the release shape wasn't linear.

So just because you read 30ms or 50ms on the front panel of hardware or software, in reality it means absolutely nothing. Especially if the release characteristic is program dependent (which is often the case), or at the very least non-linear (99% of the time the case.. as linear release sounds like dog poo).

The physics are still true to what I said: Fast release -> distorts lower frequencies.. the faster it goes, the more it'll approach a waveshaper, which is just a "compressor" with infinitely fast attack and release.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

FWIW I haven't noticed any unusual distortion with fast settings and bass, just typical saturation from the extreme settings.

I agree this isn't meant to be an 1176 clone. There are dozens of other FET comps in the hardware world (I've got three). They all tend to be useful in similar places, and I think that's where they should be compared. For me, this is the most useful comp of this type in the plugin world.
Old 30th December 2016
This plugin sounds nicely.. although many says this is not 1176 clone, but I get the behaviour that I want from 1176 in this plugin..

I also aware the heavy saturation in bottom, make this thing (IMHO) is not always suitable for all bass type track..
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

I didn't like for real low end bass. Vocals its perfect snares n drumsits magical.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

uhm....enuff of this distortion-release-debate please? EVERY plugin comp i have EVER tried distorts with super short release and lots of GR. totally normal.

and btw, i LOVED the controlled/intensional saturation/distortion with extreme settings (unlike in many other compressors).

also, don't forget to use the highpass filter, if you're unhappy with low end behavior!

I just find it ironic that someone mentions a "flaw" of a section (attack/release) that is actually one of the strengths (as many in this thread and myself can confirm) of this plugin.

Last edited by DrAudioBot; 30th December 2016 at 09:56 PM..
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias View Post
Just demoed this yesterday... the best way I can describe this plugin's quality is if UA made a MKIII plugin and one instance took up a whole octo card... but the difference is you can actually use a bunch of these without a card!!... if you don't own a UAD card, another way to describe it is when you're on Tinder and you swipe right on a smoking hot girl and you match! but then you come to find out she's a fake or a catfish... the difference is FETpressor is the real deal!... we live in good times ladies and gentlemen, plugins are starting to sound real good!
I've been catfished enough by plugins lol
Old 31st December 2016
Here for the gear
I think it was quite a bold decision by PSP to produce another compressor and especially 1176 clone. But recently they created such masterpiece (PSP E27) that I had to try FETpressor. Generally I like to throw every compressor I have on drums for comparison and this time I was really shocked by the behaviour and own character of this unit. It worked so well in serial chain with Vertigo VSC-2 that I couldn't resist not to buy it. Probably it was the first time I could glue drum bass so quickly. For me the results are just amazing, like somebody else said - a little bit of opto flavour but with very fast attacks. I hope that next year will bring us more plugins like that, simple, powerful and sounding extremely good for reasonable price.
Old 31st December 2016
Lives for gear

This is NOT a 1176 clone............ It doesn't act like it, and it doesn't sound like it............ But it is a great FET compressor w/ a hint of ***o behaviour.

Kudos to PSP for NOT naming it "the best 1176 clone ever made in a plugin, bla bla"..................

Kudos to PSP for making the FETpressor a great sounding (and versatile) plugin in its own right..................

Kudos to PSP for putting a very wise price on the FETpressor...............

Happy new year everyone
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias View Post
Interesting, I wanted this so badly to be as good as my UAD 1176 mk2.
I couldn't find one instance, not a one where this was even close to sounding as good as my UAD mk2.
I couldn't disagree with you more.
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Sure you were setting the controls properly on the PSP??
I believe they're backwards from the way the controls are on your UAD.
I know and they aren't even one to one, I used my ears not my eyes mostly.
Wasn't even close to my taste, sadly.

Do you own both?
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
I know and they aren't even one to one, I used my ears not my eyes mostly.
Wasn't even close to my taste, sadly.

Do you own both?
rsp
Are you under the impression that this is an 1176 clone? It isn't... But, it seems that you believe psp is a 1:1 emu of it.

Personal taste is the most important factor always... But, if you're judging it by comparing it to another 1176 you're not doing it right lol
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
No I don't have a UAD set up but I have been enjoying demoing the PSP.
Just wanted to remind you about the controls. Sorry you're not enjoying as much as most but it sounds like you have something you're happy with already.
I think that is indeed it for me.
It may be my favourite non-uad fet but yes for me it didn't touch the uad 1176 which is my defacto compressor for most vocals, especially voice overs for ads/commercials.
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Are you under the impression that this is an 1176 clone? It isn't... But, it seems that you believe psp is a 1:1 emu of it.

Personal taste is the most important factor always... But, if you're judging it by comparing it to another 1176 you're not doing it right lol
Apart from this thread I am not sure that indeed it isn't meant as a 1176 clone.
Did PSP say that anywhere?
Anyway I was directly responding, initially anyway, to the post saying/implying this was better than uad mk2's.

But for me my best FET is my uad 1176 mk2's so it is for me the most logical comparison.
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also what I meant one for one is that if the uad attack is at 3 o'clock, I wasn't imagining the psp 9 o'clock setting was comparable, that's all.
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apart from this thread I am not sure that indeed it isn't meant as a 1176 clone.
Did PSP say that anywhere?
Anyway I was directly responding, initially anyway, to the post saying/implying this was better than uad mk2's.

But for me my best FET is my uad 1176 mk2's so it is for me the most logical comparison.
rsp
Um. That's curious logic... Psp has not in any way suggested that it's an emulation.

But, I know how some of you UAD for life crew rolls... Ha!
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um. That's curious logic... Psp has not in any way suggested that it's an emulation.

But, I know how some of you UAD for life crew rolls... Ha!
Lol, but the flip is also true no? The most famous FET I believe is the and in no way does PSP suggest it isn't at least inspired by the 1176.
Certainly the Gui bares resemblance to the 1176.
You really think that is pure coincidence?

At the very least one may want to use them for similar applications, no?

Quote:
Great for vocals, guitars, bass,
drums, and whenever a classic 1970s-style FET compressor is needed.
rsp
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol, but the flip is also true no? The most famous FET I believe is the and in no way does PSP suggest it isn't at least inspired by the 1176.
Certainly the Gui bares resemblance to the 1176.
You really think that is pure coincidence?

At the very least one may want to use them for similar applications, no?

rsp
70s fet can easily mean 4 or 5 pretty famous units.

But, I'm not arguing with you or anything... Just pointing out that it's not being pitched as a 1:1 emu of anything so comparing how it holds up to uad, slate, ik or even hw 1176s isn't a useful comparison is all.

The uad stuff is pretty great, but dammit I still think the ik multimedia is the most similar to my rev d UA or wa-76... Slate a c%^t hair behind it... The new slate bluey 1176s are freaking great. I've not used the uad blue stripes in fairness...
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
70s fet can easily mean 4 or 5 pretty famous units.
This

Remember that it is not THE (as in one) FET compressor.............. The FET (Field-Effect Transistor) in this instance is a compressor design

I have a Drawmer FET compressor, and a Lindall Audio FET compressor (both hardware). One which is closer to the 1176 than the other, but both are equally good in its own right...........

PS. And there are probably 7-8 different FET types (MOSFet and JFet are the two main categories) to use within such designs. So the variables are large
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Nut

I've been trying it on more sources and it's pretty versatile without sounding too plain. I also notice that it has a pretty high CPU usage when compared to the Softube FET and CL1B. I'm always surprised by how good the Softube stuff sounds with extremely low CPU hit. I hope PSP is able to optimize it further. It might make it onto more tracks.
Old 1st January 2017
Lives for gear

to my ears sounds very close to the Cubase's Vintage Compressor.
Old 1st January 2017
Gear Addict

PSP is such a great company. Their pricing structure is awesome, their loyalty discount program is appreciable, and their products are top notch and incredibly stable.

I really like how PSP didn't make this another 1176, 1:1 clone. The additional features and different sonic characteristics are what makes this tool unique, and versatile.

I just finished a mix where I used the FETpressor on a live accordion that was all over the place, and it did a fantastic job on it. Quick. Easy. Sounds great. Done.

At my price of $43.50, plus the awesomeness of PSP behind it, I couldn’t pass it up. Purchased.

My only complaint (and this goes for all PSP products): When demoing a plugin, they revert to being deactivated after quitting and reopening Pro Tools (not sure if this happens in other daws). In order to reactivate it, you must select the plugin and click the demo message. This is obviously something that can easily go unnoticed. Something more obvious like a startup message would be appreciated.

Nice job on this one, PSP. Very nice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search