The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Surprised folks think this sounds like a 3a. FET would generally share few characteristics with a solid state opto.
Yeah my impression was also weird that some people think it is LA3A ish but what the heck..
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

I speak just for myself, but the la3a comparison is solely related to the extreme levels of GR that this comp can deliver while keeping a relatively clean sound... Does that make sense?

And when I say relatively clean I don't mean transparent...it's more like a nicely controlled saturation.

What do I know... I'm just an old dude that writes and records... I'm not an engineer!
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
Try Positive Grid FET compressor. The best attack action in sw form to me (because of look ahead feature)
Are you guys saying the attack action is better than AA products such as TAN, Sand, lime, N4 etc?

Just interested because after using the above products I always feel that algorithmic compressors always feel a bit 'light' and don't clamp down the signal enough without over compressing. Haven't tried the new PSP one yet because I have SO many 1176 esque plugins including UAD.

The FET in Nebula (Rose) is superb and reigns anything in like bass guitar and unruly vocals!
Old 29th December 2016
Here for the gear

This is the first 1176 plugin that works like hardvare.Nice job.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Are you guys saying the attack action is better than AA products such as TAN, Sand, lime, N4 etc?

Just interested because after using the above products I always feel that algorithmic compressors always feel a bit 'light' and don't clamp down the signal enough without over compressing. Haven't tried the new PSP one yet because I have SO many 1176 esque plugins including UAD.

The FET in Nebula (Rose) is superb and reigns anything in like bass guitar and unruly vocals!
It is interesting as I have opposite impression when compare nebula with algo. Nebula was great for sound and vibe but miss the "right" action I found on sw plugins. ON the other hand SW compressors without look ahead have somehow strange attack. I own sand, pink, titanium. When I compare sand compressor with NI solidbus, sand is bigger, more open but SolidBUS is more punchy to me
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Tastes differ and TuCo isn't bad at all (I like it but somehow don't use it that often. Can't really tell you why) but having a hard time finding its attack better sounding than the PSP's, especially since the attack is one of the highlights in FETpressor. Tweaking the attack from fast to slow makes it sound so versatile and "different" - I personally have never heard this behavior with any other ITB compressor.

I think this compressor has officially become my absolute favorite.

Love PSP. Long time supporter!
I went back and played with PSP FET again and have to change my initial assessment. It is indeed more snappy on the attack than TuCo. I think what was swaying me towards TuCo was that TuCo added a vibe and weight which was seducing me more. But PSP FET is a really great sounding compressor so damn I'm probably gonna have to buy this one now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I'm sure TuCo sound incredible, but isn't the attack stepped in 4 modes?
Yes it is you have fast and slow in either compressor or limiter. Could be limiting not being able to dial an attack time in but they seem to have chosen 4 good settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
Try Positive Grid FET compressor. The best attack action in sw form to me (because of look ahead feature)
Haven't tried this one but will check it out.

Quote:

I just added TAN to my test (forgot I had it) and yes it had the snappiest attack compared to PSP and TuCo. It's a fabulous compressor and seems to be more of a clean type of compression. The other two have a vibe. Also one instance of TAN uses 30% of my CPU on a one year old Intel Core i7 so not practical for me at this stage unfortunately.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have all compressors you mentioned plus PSP Demo of FET. AA is different and their compressors are different. My advice is to buy all of them. Seriously. Not helping i know.

But if you need to "elect" few ones - simply try and demo them and decide what works best for your music.

Regarding Attack AA compressors are a bit more variable so they offer more coloration with SHMOD. Sometimes you need this sometimes not.

To my ear PSP is different enough to make it in to "company" of compressors. It's not just sound it is workflow which is really fast. Whole PSP compressor is like one giant sweet spot. To me.
Old 29th December 2016
I would like a reverse knobs option, just for work flow reasons, years of getting used to that backward mode now i have to think again...
Sounds more 1176 then LA3 but its very smooth, not aggressive , versatile, i like what i hear so far.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Nut

More testing on vocals. It's interesting how much saturation they put in this plugin. I know we are all talking about how clean it is but I'm not sure that's accurate. At the fastest attack and release settings, PSP FETPressor really adds a lot of distortion/overdrive to the signal. I wished it got a bit bigger with more compression the way the Softube FET does, but they are very different in my estimation. I need to read up on the actual values of attack and release. They have a pretty extreme range available which is unique.attack at 2 oclock and release at 11 oclock sounds pretty great to my ears on many sources.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm Not getting alot of saturation. Been testing it on vocals and its pretty clean compared to others. It sounds good on the master bus as well. I tried fast attack and slowest release on vocals just to see how squashed i can get her before sounding ugly she held her own at big gain reductions. Still testing her. My go to for vocals used to be lindel 254 but this probably will take that place for most situations unless i need mite color. This and black rooster vla2a really made my itn mixing great again.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
I would like a reverse knobs option, just for work flow reasons, years of getting used to that backward mode now i have to think again...
Sounds more 1176 then LA3 but its very smooth, not aggressive , versatile, i like what i hear so far.
Me too...
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
I'm Not getting alot of saturation. Been testing it on vocals and its pretty clean compared to others. It sounds good on the master bus as well. I tried fast attack and slowest release on vocals just to see how squashed i can get her before sounding ugly she held her own at big gain reductions. Still testing her. My go to for vocals used to be lindel 254 but this probably will take that place for most situations unless i need mite color. This and black rooster vla2a really made my itn mixing great again.
I tested the FETpressor to smash drums and to tame the snare. I agree with McIrish, on the fastest attack and release there is a lot of saturation. Smashing drums was a mess until I use the SC filter all the way. It was really distorting the bass.

I compared it with Acustica FET Rose. FETpressor is a lot faster. The fastest setting on Rose is something like 10 o'clock on the PSP. Rose is a lot cleaner to my ear, on the other side.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

i'll have to do more testing. i heard distortion but distortion to me is not saturation in terms of that analog distortion. distortion is more fuzzy and i hear that. i consider saturation and distortion two different kinds of color.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I tested the FETpressor to smash drums and to tame the snare. I agree with McIrish, on the fastest attack and release there is a lot of saturation. Smashing drums was a mess until I use the SC filter all the way. It was really distorting the bass.

I compared it with Acustica FET Rose. FETpressor is a lot faster. The fastest setting on Rose is something like 10 o'clock on the PSP. Rose is a lot cleaner to my ear, on the other side.
I almost jumped on Nebula4 after trying Rose compressors but honestly I am a bit underwhelmed now that I am trying Fetpressor and VLA-2A...Seriously good stuff coming out
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'll have to do more testing. i heard distortion but distortion to me is not saturation in terms of that analog distortion. distortion is more fuzzy and i hear that. i consider saturation and distortion two different kinds of color.
I thought I was crazy, given the things heard here...

I was hearing distortion too. an ugly, full-on DigiFart.

Microtonic (gain staged) loop (mighty low end, stingy top end) ; <0.6att ; ~30rel...

That's what holding me off.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post

Microtonic (gain staged) loop (mighty low end, stingy top end) ; <0.6att ; ~30rel...

but its only at extreme settings. at normal more humble settings its smooth as butter. it works perfect on vocals, i need to test it more on drums, nebula killed my cpu so i couldnt add one more instance of fetpressor. I would say pull the trigger it really is a great compressor, just takes a bit to get the attack just right.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Bass + super fast release => distortion, no matter if it's in the analogue domain or digital domain. 1176, the hardware, distorts also very easily if you push it with fastest attack, fastest release on sub bass heavy material. It goes all stomp-box on ya.

There's just no way around it. Once you approach instant release and attack you are basically creating a waveshaper.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Didn't try the plugin, but 30ms release is to fast, no wonder you get distortion on lows... The fastest settings on hardware 1176 are 50-60ms... Even that is too much fast for some material
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

agreed would not do fast release with fastest attack on this especially drums. i haven't tested it at those settings as i rarely would ever use those settings with any material or compressor unless the attack was super slow.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
Didn't try the plugin, but 30ms release is to fast, no wonder you get distortion on lows... The fastest settings on hardware 1176 are 50-60ms... Even that is too much fast for some material
Yep, I think you are right. The release settings go waaay faster than any 1176. That makes the distortion much greater. With more subtle settings (50-100ms release) the FETPressor is pretty clean, given that the attack is not at full CCW.
I still wish this added a little girth but it is extremely versatile and keeps sources from becoming muddy with heavier compression (>10dB)

I bought it but I think it may be a little time before I find the perfect source to put it on.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post

I bought it but I think it may be a little time before I find the perfect source to put it on.
vocals and your welcome!
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
Yep, I think you are right. The release settings go waaay faster than any 1176.

snare, drum buss (parallel), vocals, bass
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Bass + super fast release => distortion, no matter if it's in the analogue domain or digital domain. 1176, the hardware, distorts also very easily if you push it with fastest attack, fastest release on sub bass heavy material. It goes all stomp-box on ya.
Tried three software compressors : DC8C2, MJUC, Plug and Play. all with fast settings.

None of them distorted at all (and I mean ugly, in-ya-face-inharmonic-hardclip distortion).

In regards to electronic music FET is (as of now) incompetent. sorry
Old 29th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Tried three software compressors : DC8C2, MJUC, Plug and Play. all with fast settings.

None of them distorted at all (and I mean ugly, in-ya-face-inharmonic-hardclip distortion).
Then they're simply not doing what the settings say.

If you change gain at a rate faster than a single cycle wave you will get distortion. That's the laws of physics. Some call it 'amplitude modulation'!
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

compressor-characteristics vary, some have longer attac/ release times which avoid distortion.

seems like you´re using the comp like a limiter, maybe trying an active eq or a clean limiter is what you should try
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
snare, drum buss (parallel), vocals, bass
Typically I use a CL1B on kick and two compressors for vocals; TLA100A into a Softube FET with 75% mix. I tried to replace the Softube FET with the PSP FETPressor but it just doesn't add the bigness I like. Possibly a combination of a CL1B into the FETPressor might give the color and size I'm looking for on vocals.

I'll give it a shot on the drum buss.

I know I'll find something that it really shines on.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tried three software compressors : DC8C2, , Plug and Play. all with fast settings.

I don't own DC8C2 and MJUC, but seeing from manual MJUC has program dependant recovery that varies from 20ms to 3 seconds, that means it's program dependant, it won't be 20ms all the time when you put it on fastest, it will probably be fast for big peaks, but slower for longer, meaning it will adapt to the program material. The recovery knob probably sets the global quickness of the recovery.

DC8C2 goes from 10ms, but it has 4 different types of compressors reacting differently, judging by the manual I see, if you go into "advanced mode" you'll see a little "prog dep" button that you can set.

Trust me 30ms on the compressor is way too fast

The compressor on a SSL channel is 100ms on fastest for example
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

I get that not every piece of gear/plugin is gonna be the end all for each of us; however, let's not get lazy and negatively critique something because it doesn't sound like something that it isn't supposed to emulate... It's a FET and has two big knobs, but PSP isn't selling this as am 1176 clone. If you dial in some ridiculously fast attack and/or release you should expect distortion. But, like most things audio, if you use it within "normal" parameters, it is a great compressor. This thing is particularly good at giant GR without a bunch of ugliness... With a "normal" amount of attack/release...

I'm just saying... Anyone can make anything sound like crap by using that thing incorrectly. I haven't opened the manual for this baby, but i'm sure it's expecting a set level to work optimally....
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

A lot of very odd comparisons here .

I like the saturation, but even at its fastest settings it only gets to the point of serious distortion when the output is smashed or with a very, very hot input, or both. Incidentally the distortion that does happen sounds great to me, but I'm a distortion junky, so it's not something I'd cry about. It's a great compressor, but in this case if distortion is happening in normal use, it's not the compressors fault.
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Especially when theirs numerous hardware clones but nobody says **** **** About that. As good as psp is emulating they can clone me as far as i care just make the code good.
Software clones now far out number the hardware clones on the market. And if you already own one good hardware clone you don't need to own all the rest. And I'm sure many people have more than a couple 1176s in software.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search