The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th December 2016
Yes - the knobs are opposite way which is confusing since most of the emus follow the original scheme and its kinda counterintuitive especially if someone was using it for years, like me. So a kind request - if I buy it (and I am pretty much sold...) - please make an option to reverse the knobs so they behave like the original unit...
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Wow - that thing is really great. And I have a hardware MC77. Not only sound wise, but it also feels like a hardware unit, meaning that it reacts immediately with any parameter changes. Respect. I really dont need another compressor, but I might just make a exception for this one and grab it while it has the intro price tag. Congratulations PSP
Yeah i agree. Just tried it. I said to my self "oh no not another FET comp" but after giving it a fair try i must say to my taste it does better then NI 76 and Softube and kinda different then Slate emu. Overall i like it better then Slate but will keep Slate because they have a bit different compression action.

Completely good plugin - good job PSP.

p.s. like GUI. If they add reverse knobs please make them as option so we keep current because i really like it.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Head

Hey Guys,

I'm loving this new compressor. Super easy to use and sounds amazing. HP Side chain great too.
Like fabfilter the more plugins you own the more discount you get, which for me means I get this
for $46 (intro) .. Sold
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
Seems like I have to check out that e27 eq! As you are talking about nebula, and I like the latest acqua-plugins alot, so I am curios: What are the other 2 top coders you are writing about?
PSP, Kush and Acoustica. They are seriously making me they seriously are doing outstanding things. I have no need for any other plugins. I can seriously mix with just those three companies. I will like to throw in Lindell for his TE-100 that baby is something special and the Lindell 254E i think LSR coded those. those are amongst the best i have came across. Keep in mind I have grew up on nothing but analog. I didn't even make the move to plug ins until around 2014 lol. thumbs up to PSP for this excellent compressor. Just need to try it on vocals which normally Lindell 254 does a good job there might be time to give her a rest and try this baby on it. I've only used it on drums and master so far. good results although i'm still fumbling around with it as I am used to the 1176 settings so i can trying to get used to the idea this is not a 1176...lol

somebody compared this to black rooster vl-2a. this sounds nothing the same as that. the vl-2a has a more more saturated sound and distortion. this is much cleaner, but a good analog clean and smooth. I can't test it too much as i'm on my laptop in the living room and hooked my laptop up to my surround sound and loaded up a project and my wife keeps giving me evil looks cuz i'm turning it up too loud so once i get to the studio tonight i'll be able to put it through its paces. but it sounds smooth.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

the other night i recorded a very uneven scratch vocal (could barely speak due to a cold, yet i was trying to bang out a vocal between coughing fits). using this plug, i dug super-deep into the compression and was pleasantly surprised how it was able to rescue the unevenness w/o going all wonky. so i bought yet another PSP plug.

i have quite the collection now. for those new to PSP, these are the ones getting the most use lately:

- E27
- NobleQ
- 2445 EMT
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

I agree with Trevon, PSP, Kush and Acustica (just Acquas, as I am starting with Nebula) are my top 3 as well. E27, Hammer, Lime and Purple are, by far, my favorites equalizers.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
PSP, Kush and Acoustica. They are seriously making me they seriously are doing outstanding things. I have no need for any other plugins. I can seriously mix with just those three companies. I will like to throw in Lindell for his TE-100 that baby is something special and the Lindell 254E i think LSR coded those. those are amongst the best i have came across. Keep in mind I have grew up on nothing but analog. I didn't even make the move to plug ins until around 2014 lol. thumbs up to PSP for this excellent compressor. Just need to try it on vocals which normally Lindell 254 does a good job there might be time to give her a rest and try this baby on it. I've only used it on drums and master so far. good results although i'm still fumbling around with it as I am used to the 1176 settings so i can trying to get used to the idea this is not a 1176...lol

somebody compared this to black rooster vl-2a. this sounds nothing the same as that. the vl-2a has a more more saturated sound and distortion. this is much cleaner, but a good analog clean and smooth. I can't test it too much as i'm on my laptop in the living room and hooked my laptop up to my surround sound and loaded up a project and my wife keeps giving me evil looks cuz i'm turning it up too loud so once i get to the studio tonight i'll be able to put it through its paces. but it sounds smooth.
Great...thank you for sharing your thoughts! Interesting to hear that from someone who comes from the analog domain.

In case you haven´t checked it out I recommend you to demo the new Titanium 2 comp which I absolutely love.

Gonna check out some PSP plugs now...
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear
People saying "we dont need another 1176" are misguided.

So somebody at some point made what they consider an 1176 emulation in software, so nobody else should?

Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Honestly, this la3a observation is the most interesting possibility to me..

Hmm... This might be my first psp purchase!
Well, if you wanted an LA-3A emulation VLA-3A will be out sooner than you think. PSP sounds more like 1176 than LA-3A to me.
Old 28th December 2016
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
mine is working. PT v12.6.1, OSX v10.11.6
I think it was a conflict with Avid Space, once I removed it from the session PSP FETpressor was fine.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
People saying "we dont need another 1176" are misguided.

So somebody at some point made what they consider an 1176 emulation in software, so nobody else should?

Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous.
Especially when theirs numerous hardware clones but nobody says **** **** About that. As good as psp is emulating they can clone me as far as i care just make the code good.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I just got it and I think it's fantastic. I'm not sure it's an 1176 or La3a clone as much as it is it's own thing. In so much as the UAD2 1176AE is not what I would call the traditional 1176 at all, but I really like it too. The PSP FetPressor is a smart well thought design that stands on it's own, doing it's own thing uniquely. I'm enjoying it on snare sends and lead vocals at the moment. Fine plugin and cheap as chips at 49 bucks.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'm away for the holidays, but I went ahead and purchased this since the intro price will be over when I get home. Long time psp user here, for the new psp users make sure you check out oldtimer as well. These guys consistently make great sounding plugins IMO.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Out of all the many plugin compressors I own, so far Sonimus TuCo has the best attack. I put the PSP FET up against it today and it was real close but I preferred TuCo. It's a great compressor for sure but so too is TuCo. Good times!

Last edited by screentan; 28th December 2016 at 07:31 AM..
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I get the comparison to the la3a... It's not as destructive with giant GR... Similar to the la3 that way... Honestly, they could've just as easily said this was their take on the La3a and most of us would've bought it faster AND had been happy..,

Hmm... What other psp stuff must I buy...?
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Are you talking about Black Rooster? If so, that's an la2a emu... Totally different kinda comp
Pressed the wrong quote button?
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Ok, I was sceptical at first, just as everyone seems to be... Who needs another compressor, right ?

But I had half an hour to kill this morning, so I thought whatever... And now I'm $59 less rich than when I woke up

Damn you little audio geek inside of me

This plug is just awesome to my ears, period.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Nut

Hey !
External Side chain doesn't work for me
Protools 12.5.1 / Mavericks.
Is it the same with you ?
59$ into price is until 31st but I'd like it fully fonctionnal...
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Nut

I wrote this over at KVR, so I just copied and pasted. Hope it helps someone.

From the manual, it looks like 1ms attack is at the 12 o'clock setting, which is half way up. I don't think the attack knob is anywhere close to linear. I bought it yesterday and compared it to five other compressor plugins I own. It's definitely its own thing. I find it to be very versatile. The attack setting have a huge range. Don't think that because the 1ms point is half way that somehow that makes the fastest attack .1ms or anything like that. FETpressor can have a super fast or pretty slow attack. Way more range than an 1176 clone. It can do some very 1176 things but I don't think it has the same sound, when compared to a Softube FET compressor. The Softube has a bigness to the sound that the PSP doesn't have. But the PSP can remain less murky at higher gain reduction.
What I compared it to on kick, snare, mandola and vocals in my tests were:
1) PSP FETpressor
2) Softube FET Compressor
3) Softube CL1B
4) Softube TLA100
5) PSP Old-timer
6) Klanghelm MJUC
7) Sonalksis

FETpressor is a great all-around compressor. It can cover the ground of most of the other compressors I tested yet has its own thing. The attack can get fast enough to do some extreme smashing of drum parts without any click at the beginning of a hit. The attack can also get slow enough to get a good pop out of a kick, which a 1176 doesn't do, because the attack is always too fast. The range of the controls on the FETpressor are wide so you can make it do just about anything. If you could only have one compressor, I think FETpressor would have to be in the top few plugins to get. Was it better than the others? It was different. It doesn't sound like a clone at all. It doesn't cloud over like many of the others do. And it doesn't have the bigness that the Softube FET has. So the PSP is somewhat unique. Honestly, it sounds like a vastly improved OldtimerME in the clear position. (I don't like the valve setting on Oltimer)
I'm not sure what I will use it on in my mixes yet. For very specific tasks it didn't win against the others, but it was never bad on anything. It has more color than a TLA100 but not as much as a CL1B or FET compressor.
I tend to use a couple compressors in series on vocals, with the second compressor having 20-25% dry mixed in. For that, the Softube FET is better. Lately, I've used a Softube Grand Channel feeding the FET. The Grand Channel TLA100 does a lighter, more transparent compression and the FET ads the body. FETpressor hasn't removed either of those on vocals but I do think it will replace Old-timer and the Sonalksis on just about everything else where I only want a single compressor.

I didn't really mention the Klanghelm MJUC. It's a beast unto itself and I need more time with it. Model 3 and FETpressor can be made to sound pretty similar on some sources. The MJUC is really great with it's three completely different models.

That's my take so far. If you don't have any great compressors, FETpressor could be just the thing. Very versatile and not too much color. If they added a hidden "tone" knob that could add a little low girth or add a little sizzle (when turned the other way) it would be pretty unbeatable as a One Compressor To Rule Them All kind of thing. I also like that the interface is very simple and quick to work with. That's #1 in my selection almost always. Complicated interfaces with tons of options are fine if you are an experimenter, but if you have to get mixes out the door quickly, simpler always always.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz View Post
Hey !
External Side chain doesn't work for me
Protools 12.5.1 / Mavericks.
Is it the same with you ?
59$ into price is until 31st but I'd like it fully fonctionnal...
It seems there is no external sideschain function. Just highpass SC.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I think the main difference between this and a standard 1176 clone is the shape of the knee - this is definitely softer and more musical, like a Distressor but with a rounder tone. Also, there's the wider attack range which others have pointed out.

I was able to pretty effortlessly get some good results with it on a rough mix. I've got plenty of software and hardware compression options, but I'm thinking this is worth the $.
Old 28th December 2016
kdm
Lives for gear
Attempting to move a knob in FETpressor crashes ProTools 12.7 with an access violation. Windows 8.1. Works fine in Nuendo 7 on the same system.
Old 28th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarLander View Post
It seems there is no external sideschain function. Just highpass SC.
External side chain is available with some plugins, and it is with fetpressor, as with API2500, but not with Elysia Alpha for example.
As it is available with fetpressor, it is with PSP buspressor too, but doesn't work too :-(
Seems to be a PSP specificity : available in Protools but does''the work.

Last edited by phaz; 28th December 2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Out of all the many plugin compressors I own, so far Sonimus TuCo has the best attack. I put the PSP FET up against it today and it was real close but I preferred TuCo. It's a great compressor for sure but so too is TuCo. Good times!
Tastes differ and TuCo isn't bad at all (I like it but somehow don't use it that often. Can't really tell you why) but having a hard time finding its attack better sounding than the PSP's, especially since the attack is one of the highlights in FETpressor. Tweaking the attack from fast to slow makes it sound so versatile and "different" - I personally have never heard this behavior with any other ITB compressor.

I think this compressor has officially become my absolute favorite.

Love PSP. Long time supporter!
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure TuCo sound incredible, but isn't the attack stepped in 4 modes? As McIrish said, FETpressor really have a wide attack range, you really can control the transients the way you want.

My first impressions is that FETpressor doesn't have the most wonderful color, and it is not the most transparent compressor (but it is not bad at all), but it is ultra versatile and have one of the best attack and release action I have seen.

I have to know it better, but, if I had to choose only one compressor to mix, it could be my choice.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

I wouldnt reach for this when you want color. Id reach for this for smooth compression. It does have some color but its subtle. The attack its the best itb in muy opinion.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Well, if you wanted an LA-3A emulation VLA-3A will be out sooner than you think. PSP sounds more like 1176 than LA-3A to me.
Yah... I'm looking forward to demoing that... But, not very encouraged with the cluster farck they had with the LA2A release...

I've got 4 outboard 1176 here, one old ass la2a various dbx boxes and an ART VLA 2 that still surprises me... And seemingly every SW comp released in the past ten years... I'm not saying that this PSP unit is an LA3A, but I agree with the previous poster when he says it's LA3A-ish... For me it's because of the massive amount of GR that this box can do without sounding like you're smashing the signal... Like an LA3A.

It's rather remarkable, really.
Old 28th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try Positive Grid FET compressor. The best attack action in sw form to me (because of look ahead feature)
Old 28th December 2016
Pulled the trigger. It was just too hard to resist. Its sooo good. Just noticed that the parameters on Push2 are all over the place. Not such a big deal but it would be cool if PSP would assign them nicely, so there is no need to wrap them with macros. Soundtoys does that really nice. No need to do anything - its just right under Your tips.
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

Surprised folks think this sounds like a 3a. FET would generally share few characteristics with a solid state opto.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search