The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PSP FETpressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Im buying this asap
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
1176 or no, PSP has made another great compressor.

A big plus in my book since they added an
  • easy mix knob
  • high pass key input
  • variable ratio
  • linked or unlined inputs
  • smooth sound
  • big drum sounds when pushed

If you already own other PSP vst plugins, you'll get an even bigger discount on purchasing this one. I just compared it to my Waves CLA76, mjuc, and the NI 76 .
This one brings a different tone, especially when pushed.
Pushed or not, very smooth sound. Sounds great on vocals and drums so far.
Without meaning to sound entitled, in this increasingly crowded and competitive plugin market PSP need to make a better incentive for existing users. I own a ton of their stuff but even with my loyalty discount I can still get it cheaper at one of the discounters.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20 View Post
thanks. is that non-intuitive or am i just hungover? i twisted the knobs, i would think that would be enough to enable the control...
Probably both?
I have their oldtimer, which behaves similarly. I guess its nice to set wet/dry and then toggle between settings.
Your idea of enabling them once you turn a knob sounds good though...
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
Probably both?
I have their oldtimer, which behaves similarly. I guess its nice to set wet/dry and then toggle between settings.
Your idea of enabling them once you turn a knob sounds good though...
i decided it's non-intuitive. there are labels and controls. controls are for controlling, labels are informational. from a UI perspective, we are not accustomed to interacting with labels.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
This one is really good. PSP is one of the best developers out there. The demo is very easy to obtain; no sign ins, emails, anus exams...or fingerprints....
In addition to that, the saturation on the FET is top notch. Feels very alive. Love it!!!
No anus exams? I'm out
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
No anus exams? I'm out
I was eating, thanks....

lol
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Head

Been demoing this on snare, and it's simple superb - both on how it sounds and how it behaves. In particular the attack reacts and grabs transients in a very convincing way.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artean View Post
Been demoing this on snare, and it's simple superb - both on how it sounds and how it behaves. In particular the attack reacts and grabs transients in a very convincing way.
yes, the attack in particular reacts so good and small changes are so audible (more than on any other software comp that I know).
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

i bought this. will test in the morning and i'm going to put this up against my 1176 and see how it does. anybody shot it out with a the real hardware? i am assuming this is a 1176 emulation correct? can't go wrong with psp their e27 is one of the best eq hardware emulations besides nebula i have used. tied with kush the hammer. i have high expectations from psp.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
i bought this. will test in the morning and i'm going to put this up against my 1176 and see how it does. anybody shot it out with a the real hardware? i am assuming this is a 1176 emulation correct? can't go wrong with psp their e27 is one of the best eq hardware emulations besides nebula i have used. tied with kush the hammer. i have high expectations from psp.
I think it's more an amalgamation than a direct 1176 emulation. PSP are such a brilliantly consistent developer they are one of the few companies I'll buy from without even testing.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Wow it sounds great... Better than the now released VL2...from another company for my ears... Great work PSP
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

you guys have me excited. i am ready to play with this beautiful gorgeous looking sweet thing in the morning.....oh and the the plugin...lol my wife is going to divorce me soon all the new toys i got i don't think i am coming out of the studio for some weeks.
Old 27th December 2016
WKG
Lives for gear
Love PSP stuff here.

Seems like there are always issues with AAX in PT. I have installed/uninstalled/installed both with and without the Multi-installer and the plugin is unresponsive. When I click on the knobs to change parameter I get this constantly:

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0xFFFFFFFF868AA170

When I click ok PT immediately crashes.

Last edited by WKG; 27th December 2016 at 04:47 PM..
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Addict

Wow, the color and attack/release characteristics of this are unique. Doesn't sound exactly like an 1176, but I like it more than any of the other emulations out there that I've heard in my albeit limited testing.
Old 27th December 2016
Gear Addict
Another long time PSP customer here.
Great job on this as usual.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Love PSP stuff here.

Seems like there are always issues with AAX in PT. I have installed/uninstalled/installed both with and without the Multi-installer and the plugin is unresponsive. When I click on the knobs to change parameter I get this constantly:

Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0xFFFFFFFF868AA170

When I click ok PT immediately crashes.
One of the reasons i never use protools anymore. Always had problems with axx. Vsts have been painless for me in sonar. If protools ever go vsts ill switch back.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Seems like there are always issues with AAX in PT.
mine is working. PT v12.6.1, OSX v10.11.6
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artean View Post
Are you talking about Black Rooster? If so, that's an la2a emu... Totally different kinda comp
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have hardware returns patched in Reaper to Purple MC77, The Brute and two real, unmodified LA3A units. From now on, I can easily substitute these unites with PSP. Honestly! It does not sound the same at all, but it sounds just as good. BTW I prefer MC77 to the real 1176 (black face) which I also own. In my very subjective, totally unscientific view, the PSP plug sounds in the same league. If it was a hardware unit, I’d also consider buying it. The dude who coded it deserves a medal. I think he discovered some secret, alchemical potion that makes his recent tools sound absolutely spectacular. In addition to that, I don’t think I’ll be upgrading to Nebula4. For me, all this chasing of analogue sound in the digital domain is over.

PS. I have only one request in regards to this tool. Please, add another GUI with a different metering option. I do not like analogue looking metering in digital domain. I hate it! Actually, I also hate those stupid needles in all my analogue gear. This is almost 2017!!! Dave Hill of Crane Song is a genius for designing super useful metering in every piece of equipment he made. This is the kind of metering that I find to be truly helpful. I can see it from the back of my studio and it is very precise. In other words, If it doesn't help - then it shouldn't be there at all.

Last edited by Sonic_Beast; 27th December 2016 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Do you think this plug sounds la3a ish?
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have hardware returns patched in Reaper to Purple MC77, The Brute and two real, unmodified LA3A units. From now on, I can easily substitute these unites with PSP. Honestly! It does not sound the same at all, but it sounds just as good. BTW I prefer MC77 to the real 1176 (black face) which I also own. In my very subjective, totally unscientific view, the PSP plug sounds in the same league. If it was a hardware unit, I’d also consider buying it. The dude who coded it deserves a medal. I think he discovered some secret, alchemical potion that makes his recent tools sound absolutely spectacular. In addition to that, I don’t think I’ll be upgrading to Nebula4. For me, all this chasing of analogue sound in the digital domain is over.

PS. I have only one request in regards to this tool. Please, add another GUI with a different metering option. I do not like analogue looking metering in digital domain. I hate it! Actually, I also hate those stupid needles in all my analogue gear. This is almost 2017!!! Dave Hill of Crane Song is a genius for designing super useful metering in every piece of equipment he made. This is the kind of metering that I find to be truly helpful. I can see it from the back of my studio and it is very precise. In other words, If it doesn't help - then it shouldn't be there at all.
metering does not bother me. but then again i never look at meters when mixing. i like to mix with my ears. i find it easier to get a sound i want when i am not going by meters. i've never used crane song products how is there metering different?
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
metering does not bother me. but then again i never look at meters when mixing. i like to mix with my ears. i find it easier to get a sound i want when i am not going by meters. i've never used crane song products how is there metering different?
Good for you!

My point was about usability of metering. I take it for granted that we mix with our ears. However, I don't think that metering was invented to make our equipment look like Christmas trees. If it is there -then it should serve a function. If it doesn't serve that specific function -then it shouldn't be there.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good for you!

My point was about usability of metering. I take it for granted that we mix with our ears. However, I don't think that metering was invented to make our equipment look like Christmas trees. If it is there -then it should serve a function. If it doesn't serve that specific function -then it shouldn't be there.
... But it looks so cool
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
It reminds me of a hardware Urei LA3A – I just used one recently at Avatar in NYC. I’ve been comparing the PSP FETpressor with some excellent VST compressors and nothing else seems to be able to do what the PSP FETpressor can do.
--Alan Silverman,

Honestly, this la3a observation is the most interesting possibility to me..

Hmm... This might be my first psp purchase!
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Honestly, this la3a observation is the most interesting possibility to me..

Hmm... This might be my first psp purchase!
you need to get their e27 eq its is superb. really one of the best eq's out there. idk how they do it, but i never used itb eq until nebula then i gave up on nebula for the e27. psp is hands down my top 3 coders for real good emulation of analog gear. i didn't much like their older plugins when i did test them, but now i might re-visit them and see if my mind changes. this and e27 are really amazing. i am really excited about the products of this company. if they can do just more compressors i might sell off some analog gear if their coded as good as their last products.
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
you need to get their e27 eq its is superb. really one of the best eq's out there. idk how they do it, but i never used itb eq until nebula then i gave up on nebula for the e27. psp is hands down my top 3 coders for real good emulation of analog gear. i didn't much like their older plugins when i did test them, but now i might re-visit them and see if my mind changes. this and e27 are really amazing. i am really excited about the products of this company. if they can do just more compressors i might sell off some analog gear if their coded as good as their last products.
Seems like I have to check out that e27 eq! As you are talking about nebula, and I like the latest acqua-plugins alot, so I am curios: What are the other 2 top coders you are writing about?
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just bought the compressor... Wow!

Just what I need another damn company that makes awesome stuff to take my cash

Psp is a great example of a company where a subscription makes sense... So many products!

#newPspFanboy
Old 27th December 2016
Wow - that thing is really great. And I have a hardware MC77. Not only sound wise, but it also feels like a hardware unit, meaning that it reacts immediately with any parameter changes. Respect. I really dont need another compressor, but I might just make a exception for this one and grab it while it has the intro price tag. Congratulations PSP
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Is the attack and release time knobs different from a 1176? Clockwise = Fast to slow................ instead of slow to fast (as in the 1176)?

If so, I hope those who compare have that one sorted out
Old 27th December 2016
Lives for gear

Just began to test it, damn, it sounds great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search