The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th December 2017
  #871
Gear Nut
 
plexus's Avatar
 

@Ain't Nobody

I was not an AA customer until earlier 2017 when I got N4. At first I didn't understand what AA's product offering was - when I would go to the site I'd see these 3D models of hardware (especially on the N3 page). Because there was no clear description of what AA sells, I thought this was a hardware unit. It was veyr confusing. When N4 came out I decided to check again and get a handle on this because people were raving about it. I figure out what it was and decided to get it - N4. Since then I have acquired pretty much all of the libraries out there for Nebula.

So first of all most if not all N3 libraries will work with N4. Some of the library devs are updating their libraries to be better. N3 skins will not work on N4 but again many of the devs are creating N4 skins. That N3 thing that lets you open multiple programs in one instances does not work with N4.

I use N4 a lot. However it has a lot of issues especially on macOS with LPX - primarily lots of latency and CPU soak even with no program loaded etc. I have been pressing AA support to address this.

AA was doing N4 updates fairly often at the start of the year but then this tappered off to nothing. So unsure what is going on with N4 now from an AA update perspective.

yes N4 is not represented on their site except in the store.

So I would say your impressions are not unfounded in that at the moment there is not a lot going on with AA N4... its there, it mostly works, N3 programs work with it. it sounds pretty good but there may be technical limitations for you as there are for me (eg. I can't use N4 as a console emu if I go beyond about 20 instances of N4 - which is not unfounded when used as a console emu with 1 or 2 instances on every track).

I can't speak to N3 vs N4 however.

I will tell you though, for myself, after experiencing AA through N4 I won't buy their Acqua products! N4, like N3, requires a lot of patience dealing with all it's idiosyncrasies and that's enough of a headache for me.

Check out the 3rd party libraries section on AA's forum to get a sense of the ongoing activity with respect to Nebula: • View forum - 3rd party libraries

I wish AA would put more work into N4 because it has so much potential.
Old 19th December 2017
  #872
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
1) Is Neb4 worth getting for Neb3 Pro user?
2) Will all my old libraries work?
3) What is upgrade procedure for N3 --> N4 as opposed to new purchase (zero mention of this even within customer portal on site)
4) Or, if N4 is NOT worth getting, is N3 finally 64 bit? If so, how do I get THAT version?

I should mention that I'm not particularly concerned with stacking fx unless something drastic has changed as it's always been a hog of a plugin. I am interested in any newer time fx, or whether the compressors finally actually work at... well... compressing.
1) Faster loading compared to default N3, better usability, a little less haziness to the sound when stacking multiple instances.

2) Most if not all.

3) There's no upgrade procedure, you're basically just buying it new. I thought this was a joke of a price for previous owners ($280) and haven't upgraded myself. The benefits are nowhere near asking price.

Acustica offered some discounts to previous owners at the time of release, but let's be honest. It's a $100 upgrade at best. The compressor modules they've added have been positively received, but I think it was more a way for them to increase the price (most developers would consider those subsidized freebies).

4) N3 has been 64 bit for quite awhile. Been using that for years.
Old 20th December 2017
  #873
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
Have you read the past 29 pages on N4? I wouldn't call that ghost town lol
About a third of it. Lots of bickering.

There used to be quite a bit more discussion, actually. Here and elsewhere. I made sure of it.

I was hopeful after briefly noticing a year or so back all the work being done on compression. Getting ready to start recording again, and figured it'd all be gloriously sorted by now.

Seriously. Google Nebula 4. Most of what comes up is a year or more old. Excitement for a new release, then poof. I'm a believer in the tech, but I'm beginning to think it's cursed.

What developer in history has ever buried the lead on their flagship product's new release to the point where the product's OWN PAGE doesn't even mention the release's existence a YEAR after the fact?

From day 1, the whole affair been a pointlessly convoluted and grotesquely mismanaged fustercluck designed to confuse and discourage customers. Hell, I still remember when nearly everyone who bought it either couldn't get it working or used it incorrectly, but I think we all assumed the dust would eventually settle.

Oh, well. SSDD.

Generally speaking, then, am I understanding correctly that the recent comps (that actually compress properly) require N4, and that all N3 pro users share the same red-headed stepchild discount of 0% off.
Old 20th December 2017
  #874
Lives for gear
 
Benj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
About a third of it. Lots of bickering.

There used to be quite a bit more discussion, actually. Here and elsewhere. I made sure of it.

I was hopeful after briefly noticing a year or so back all the work being done on compression. Getting ready to start recording again, and figured it'd all be gloriously sorted by now.

Seriously. Google Nebula 4. Most of what comes up is a year or more old. Excitement for a new release, then poof. I'm a believer in the tech, but I'm beginning to think it's cursed.

What developer in history has ever buried the lead on their flagship product's new release to the point where the product's OWN PAGE doesn't even mention the release's existence a YEAR after the fact?

From day 1, the whole affair been a pointlessly convoluted and grotesquely mismanaged fustercluck designed to confuse and discourage customers. Hell, I still remember when nearly everyone who bought it either couldn't get it working or used it incorrectly, but I think we all assumed the dust would eventually settle.

Oh, well. SSDD.

Generally speaking, then, am I understanding correctly that the recent comps (that actually compress properly) require N4, and that all N3 pro users share the same red-headed stepchild discount of 0% off.
I have N3 Server and N4. Both 64 bit. New comps behave the same in each program because the best Third Party developers (TimP, AlexB and Cupwise) are still fine tuning and developing with the older tech. TimP’s comps are preferred over here to many Acquas. Acoustica focuses mostly on Acqua, new tech (recently delays and distortion), their new delivery program, Aquarius, and building a new website. N4 isn’t the current focus or flagship but is working well as is at the moment. It’s not a huge step forward until more libraries are made using the new tech, which we would theoretically demo and purchase in Aquarius.
Old 20th December 2017
  #875
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
About a third of it. Lots of bickering.

There used to be quite a bit more discussion, actually. Here and elsewhere. I made sure of it.

I was hopeful after briefly noticing a year or so back all the work being done on compression. Getting ready to start recording again, and figured it'd all be gloriously sorted by now.

Seriously. Google Nebula 4. Most of what comes up is a year or more old. Excitement for a new release, then poof. I'm a believer in the tech, but I'm beginning to think it's cursed.

What developer in history has ever buried the lead on their flagship product's new release to the point where the product's OWN PAGE doesn't even mention the release's existence a YEAR after the fact?

From day 1, the whole affair been a pointlessly convoluted and grotesquely mismanaged fustercluck designed to confuse and discourage customers. Hell, I still remember when nearly everyone who bought it either couldn't get it working or used it incorrectly, but I think we all assumed the dust would eventually settle.

Oh, well. SSDD.

Generally speaking, then, am I understanding correctly that the recent comps (that actually compress properly) require N4, and that all N3 pro users share the same red-headed stepchild discount of 0% off.
AA have stated previously that they make money with Acustica Plugins, while N4 takes business away from them. So from an entrepeneur perspective, it´s normal that they put more focus on their plugins rather than N4, or otherwise they´d go bankrupt. You´d do the same.

However, Zab is still working on Setups, and N4 updates keep on being rolled out, so it is not a dead product, rather the contrary. Ask TimP, AlexB or Cupwise.

Another thing is this modern trend where people spend more energy bickering on forae rather than in trying to solve their issues. Regarding the N3 upgrade path, have you contacted support, as I advised previously? If yes --> wait for their reply. If not --> why are you complaining?
Old 20th December 2017
  #876
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
4) N3 has been 64 bit for quite awhile. Been using that for years.
So, will N3 Pro work on current Mac OS versions (Sierra, High Sierra)? Can't seem to find any info on that.
Old 20th December 2017
  #877
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
AA have stated previously that they make money with Acustica Plugins, while N4 takes business away from them. So from an entrepeneur perspective, it´s normal that they put more focus on their plugins rather than N4, or otherwise they´d go bankrupt. You´d do the same.

However, Zab is still working on Setups, and N4 updates keep on being rolled out, so it is not a dead product, rather the contrary. Ask TimP, AlexB or Cupwise.

Another thing is this modern trend where people spend more energy bickering on forae rather than in trying to solve their issues. Regarding the N3 upgrade path, have you contacted support, as I advised previously? If yes --> wait for their reply. If not --> why are you complaining?

I've contacted AA quite a few times (not counting many conversations with 3rd party devs), but then I've been at this a lot longer, and spent years keeping the fire burning on this forum and elsewhere. I've just been out of the loop for the past couple years. What's the phrase? Burn me a dozen times...

As for losing money on Nebula, it's not tough to see why. If that were my goal, I'm not sure I could do better. Seriously. If you were a new fully primed Nebula customer with money burning a hole in your pocket on the AA site ready to buy, I'd bet 10:1 against you pulling the trigger. The other 9 leave scratching their heads having tripped down a rabbit hole of unanswered questions they didn't even realize they had.

Hell, I considered VOLUNTEERING to run the marketing and community outreach a few years back just to settle my own frustrations.

That new customer attrition trickles down into less 3rd party development, and so on. In some ways, it actually used to be worse since even those who did buy couldn't get it working or get a decent response as to why it wasn't. I kept on because it was never really the product itself at fault, but I was under the impression that the dustcloud of obfuscation around it might have lifted by now with all the interest piqued a couple years back.

I've no interest in beating a perpetually undead horse, however. I came to see what had changed and what had not. I see a strong gravitational force in the latter column. Moving on.
Old 20th December 2017
  #878
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ain't Nobody View Post
I've contacted AA quite a few times (not counting many conversations with 3rd party devs), but then I've been at this a lot longer, and spent years keeping the fire burning on this forum and elsewhere. I've just been out of the loop for the past couple years. What's the phrase? Burn me a dozen times...

As for losing money on Nebula, it's not tough to see why. If that were my goal, I'm not sure I could do better. Seriously. If you were a new fully primed Nebula customer with money burning a hole in your pocket on the AA site ready to buy, I'd bet 10:1 against you pulling the trigger. The other 9 leave scratching their heads having tripped down a rabbit hole of unanswered questions they didn't even realize they had.

Hell, I considered VOLUNTEERING to run the marketing and community outreach a few years back just to settle my own frustrations.

That new customer attrition trickles down into less 3rd party development, and so on. In some ways, it actually used to be worse since even those who did buy couldn't get it working or get a decent response as to why it wasn't. I kept on because it was never really the product itself at fault, but I was under the impression that the dustcloud of obfuscation around it might have lifted by now with all the interest piqued a couple years back.

I've no interest in beating a perpetually undead horse, however. I came to see what had changed and what had not. I see a strong gravitational force in the latter column. Moving on.
If you were going to bet against me, you´d lose your bet 9 times out of 10. I can´t say what it was like on N3, but I can tell you my experience as a new customer on N4. Everything works as expected, since day 1, and everything I had to "learn" (ie how to install libraries and do some xml tweaks to tune the performance) I was able to find with a couple of clicks, on this thread, and on the AA site.

So, little to no effort from my side to achieve a great satisfaction when using tools like MFC or Opto 3A. I have to disagree with your point of view, which seems outdated, I´ve had 0 problems stemming from N4 in the last 2 years, but I´ve enjoyed the tools a lot! CPU cost is occasionally high (not as much as some claim), but disregardable with newer computers.

If you really want other people´s feedback as you asked on your first post, my advice is that N4 is very alive, that it works like a breeze, and that the sound is still the best ITB. It´s the best investment I´ve ever done in plugins as it has opened the doors to fantastic 3rd party libraries. But if all you want to do is complain about how bad it was 2 years ago, then indeed, move on!
Old 20th December 2017
  #879
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

He asked primarily whether it is worth him going to N4 or whether N3 can run 64 bit by now. That isn't 'complaining'.

And I for one share the view that it seems N4 at the moment is less than great value as an upgrade path if you already have N3 like I do. The thing it was advertised to do that N3 does not, it doesn't actually do now, and we don't know when it will. And in other ways it actually does less than N3 config wise as some 3rd party devs have pointed out. Plus the upgrade path from having N3 stings. That's all very real.

Also real is that mostly, the AA experience (completely disregarding sound for a minute) is one that slaughters your workflow on even decent machines in many cases, making them hiccuppy and unreliable. Which is deeply unappealing. My 4970k machine running Logic gets so itchy I have stopped running my acqua plugs and just use the odd Nebula instance here and there where nothing else does that tone. Can't do the twitchy rig thing anymore. Logic is twitchy enough as it is.
Old 20th December 2017
  #880
Lives for gear
 
Ain't Nobody's Avatar
 

I'll take your lack of familiarity with a wide range of issues as a reassuring sign.

I really only care about 2 things:

1) For those with a seasoned perspective (experience dialing in previous versions which were always the least stable plugs in the rack but could be tamed somewhat through manual configuration per patch), is N4 significantly more stable vs a manually optimized N3?

2) Is there significant value in the upgrade? I've started compiling a list based on what's been said thus far about backwards compatibility with existing libraries, as well as current compatibility (which new features and libraries require N4). Also can't find much regarding a roadmap (Core9 in N4 vs Core11 used by some Aqua plugs, for instance)
Old 20th December 2017
  #881
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
He asked primarily whether it is worth him going to N4 or whether N3 can run 64 bit by now. That isn't 'complaining'.

And I for one share the view that it seems N4 at the moment is less than great value as an upgrade path if you already have N3 like I do. The thing it was advertised to do that N3 does not, it doesn't actually do now, and we don't know when it will. And in other ways it actually does less than N3 config wise as some 3rd party devs have pointed out. Plus the upgrade path from having N3 stings. That's all very real.

Also real is that mostly, the AA experience (completely disregarding sound for a minute) is one that slaughters your workflow on even decent machines in many cases, making them hiccuppy and unreliable. Which is deeply unappealing. My 4970k machine running Logic gets so itchy I have stopped running my acqua plugs and just use the odd Nebula instance here and there where nothing else does that tone. Can't do the twitchy rig thing anymore. Logic is twitchy enough as it is.
I probably misused the word "complaining" on my post, so i apologise if I offended.

About the upgrade to N4, wouldn´t you see having access to the latest Core Engine a reason enough to justify going for it? I don´t know the cost of upgrading, so I can´t say if it´s worth or not, but with newer engines the plugin is meant to run more optimized, so maybe you´re missing something in that department? Other users state that there are also sonic differences between N3 & 4, with N4 "sounding better" (but it´s only something I´ve read here somewhere).

And your CPU might be right, but there´s a point when technologies advance and we have to upgrade. It happened to me when I used to play games ages ago, I had to get upgrade my machine if I wanted to play the latest releases, otherwise they were unplayable. And I´ve had to upgrade my 4th gen i7 laptop to a 6800k to be able to mix with AA without freezing.

Your processor is about 3-4 years old, which is quite recent on my eyes, so it must hurt to even think about an upgrade. But when I did mine, I got more than twice the processing power (speaking of plugin count and ASIO load), so I´d definitely recommend it. In my case, the weak link in my workflow was the CPU limit (sorted) and the DAW, not AA. I´ve yet to try Reaper (as the most optimised one), but so far I´m happy with my workflow, which I´ve built around the tone of Aquas and N4.

Just my 0.02
Old 21st December 2017
  #882
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
So, will N3 Pro work on current Mac OS versions (Sierra, High Sierra)? Can't seem to find any info on that.
Not sure, I'm not on a Mac myself. It would be odd if they didn't, though.
Old 21st December 2017
  #883
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
I probably misused the word "complaining" on my post, so i apologise if I offended.

About the upgrade to N4, wouldn´t you see having access to the latest Core Engine a reason enough to justify going for it? I don´t know the cost of upgrading, so I can´t say if it´s worth or not, but with newer engines the plugin is meant to run more optimized, so maybe you´re missing something in that department? Other users state that there are also sonic differences between N3 & 4, with N4 "sounding better" (but it´s only something I´ve read here somewhere).
The cost of upgrading has been covered. Believe it or not, for previous owners it is FULL PRICE. They had a time-limited discount at release for previous owners in addition to the pre-sale price... And that's it.

They sold Nebula 3 for too little too many times, it's cannibalizing their sales too deeply now, yadda yadda. I know why they're doing what they're doing every time they do it, but I'm a customer. Some of their choices are terrible for my experience. I've got money, I'll spend, I even have a loyalty coupon (which expired two weeks after I got it ). It's not about money, it's about whether I'm throwing it away.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #884
Gear Head
 

Just one mans story.

I picked up the newest version of Nebula 3 that they sold on the website about a year or so back over the newly released v4.

I was pretty familiar with the platform from working at a buddies studio from time to time. I even picked up some libraries to use while i worked there.

I didn't find authorizing or downloading the software to be nearly as difficult as some folks have. I didn't really have any issues understanding where files go...

When I got a new studio computer build going I decided to try out a bunch of the freeware products they offered like Tan, Red, and Orange. They all crashed my projects. I also knew Nebula 3 was stable on my buddies similarly specd machine and Neb 3 free worked fine on my new machine. I hold a few third party developed libraries near and dear, so I went with what I view as the most mature product they offer, to let me keep using what I know I like. So far so good, exept I can't figure out how to use Zabs Nebula setups utility to save my life. Also the new Aquarius download app thing doesnt seem to work at all for me. No biggie, since i havent needed to use it for anything.

I would totally buy Aquas for the simplicity of use and to support the technology if I thought they would work on my system or eventually be developed to a point that would make them stable. I just dont have confidence in AA making a priority of stability over pushing out 100 cool products a year.

I don't know maybe its just me, but reading the AA new product announcement threads does not inspire confidence.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #885
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
I probably misused the word "complaining" on my post, so i apologise if I offended.

About the upgrade to N4, wouldn´t you see having access to the latest Core Engine a reason enough to justify going for it? I don´t know the cost of upgrading, so I can´t say if it´s worth or not, but with newer engines the plugin is meant to run more optimized, so maybe you´re missing something in that department? Other users state that there are also sonic differences between N3 & 4, with N4 "sounding better" (but it´s only something I´ve read here somewhere).

And your CPU might be right, but there´s a point when technologies advance and we have to upgrade. It happened to me when I used to play games ages ago, I had to get upgrade my machine if I wanted to play the latest releases, otherwise they were unplayable. And I´ve had to upgrade my 4th gen i7 laptop to a 6800k to be able to mix with AA without freezing.

Your processor is about 3-4 years old, which is quite recent on my eyes, so it must hurt to even think about an upgrade. But when I did mine, I got more than twice the processing power (speaking of plugin count and ASIO load), so I´d definitely recommend it. In my case, the weak link in my workflow was the CPU limit (sorted) and the DAW, not AA. I´ve yet to try Reaper (as the most optimised one), but so far I´m happy with my workflow, which I´ve built around the tone of Aquas and N4.

Just my 0.02
I'm not about to upgrade my computer just to watch it twitch similarly with more cpu. The current one runs everything I need just fine. I am not as attached to Acquas as most here.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #886
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I'm not about to upgrade my computer just to watch it twitch similarly with more cpu. The current one runs everything I need just fine. I am not as attached to Acquas as most here.
Imho you´re making assumptions, but to each their own
Old 22nd December 2017
  #887
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
Imho you´re making assumptions, but to each their own
It isn't an assumption to realise that the general instability I get from running AA plugs don't stop when you beef up the cpu. Otherwise I would just have the instability when the computer is close to maxed out. But using them on my rig makes things unstable and cpu s***** long before the cpu is even warmed up, never mind close to maxed out, so how exactly am I going to cure that by more cpu???

I think the AA tech just seems to love specific cpu's more than the rest, and if one is fully into this game it is a case of buying one of those specific ones. But I am not invested enough to bend my whole otherwise totally sufficient rig out of shape for this.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #888
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It isn't an assumption to realise that the general instability I get from running AA plugs don't stop when you beef up the cpu. Otherwise I would just have the instability when the computer is close to maxed out. But using them on my rig makes things unstable and cpu s***** long before the cpu is even warmed up, never mind close to maxed out, so how exactly am I going to cure that by more cpu???

I think the AA tech just seems to love specific cpu's more than the rest, and if one is fully into this game it is a case of buying one of those specific ones. But I am not invested enough to bend my whole otherwise totally sufficient rig out of shape for this.
My experience is quite the opposite, that´s why I speak of assumptions, my sessions are stable as they can be with my new PC. The other element that might be causing instability is your DAW, Logic. Looking at several threads (ie Marconi 73 from SKnote), it looks like it´s the most "twitchy" DAW out there, causing troubles when the plugins work flawlessly on other DAWs. Imho, too many factors are involved, so I wouldn´t put all the blame on AA. Many of us use them without a hiccup.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #889
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
My experience is quite the opposite, that´s why I speak of assumptions, my sessions are stable as they can be with my new PC. The other element that might be causing instability is your DAW, Logic. Looking at several threads (ie Marconi 73 from SKnote), it looks like it´s the most "twitchy" DAW out there, causing troubles when the plugins work flawlessly on other DAWs. Imho, too many factors are involved, so I wouldn´t put all the blame on AA. Many of us use them without a hiccup.
Oh absolutely, Logic is its own liability. But two that interact like it does with the AA stuff (some more than others by the way, rig hates Pink and does much better with Honey) is too much for me and I am not going to swap DAWs over it.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #890
Lives for gear
 

Just a heads up.. a quote from the official forums:

Quote:
"-While we are speaking, franci is completing n4 setups for n4. We'll begin betatesting around the end of the year, during our holidays. N4 will be the product which will be our main focus during 2018, and you'll understand the reason why. I cannot anticipate too many things, but I would say It is the next big thing and Aquarius will help quite a lot there. About n4 and acqua plugins, people following me on instagram stories already know we are able TODAY to run acqua plugins in client/server mode. Everything will be merged in a single vision and product." -giancarlo
• View topic - 2018

I can indeed confirm that N4 is far from being a "dead" or "irrelevant" product. As always with Acustica Audio, they are juggling multiple sets of balls in the air at the same time. There's actually a lot of thought being put into N4 and it's future with 3rd party developers.. and how it all integrates. But for now, just be assured that things in N4 land are about to heat-up.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #891
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Just a heads up.. a quote from the official forums:



• View topic - 2018

I can indeed confirm that N4 is far from being a "dead" or "irrelevant" product. As always with Acustica Audio, they are juggling multiple sets of balls in the air at the same time. There's actually a lot of thought being put into N4 and it's future with 3rd party developers.. and how it all integrates. But for now, just be assured that things in N4 land are about to heat-up.
I welcome any value they can add to the product. Hopefully a good year for N4 owners.

I'll jump ship when these things are in the flesh.
Old 26th December 2017
  #892
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
So, will N3 Pro work on current Mac OS versions (Sierra, High Sierra)? Can't seem to find any info on that.
N3 x64, version 1.3.903 is working on my 2012 MBP with High Sierra (10.13.2) and Ableton 9.7.
Old 27th December 2017
  #893
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
N3 x64, version 1.3.903 is working on my 2012 MBP with High Sierra (10.13.2) and Ableton 9.7.
Yes! Thank you SO much for this info. It's one of the only things keeping me from upgrading. Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks again!
Old 27th December 2017
  #894
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It isn't an assumption to realise that the general instability I get from running AA plugs don't stop when you beef up the cpu. Otherwise I would just have the instability when the computer is close to maxed out. But using them on my rig makes things unstable and cpu s***** long before the cpu is even warmed up, never mind close to maxed out, so how exactly am I going to cure that by more cpu???

I think the AA tech just seems to love specific cpu's more than the rest, and if one is fully into this game it is a case of buying one of those specific ones. But I am not invested enough to bend my whole otherwise totally sufficient rig out of shape for this.

fwiw, in your terms my cpu is ancient ie. i7 4790k.Overclocked that bastard to 4,8 per core and haven't maxed out with aquas. I don't even use freeze function anymore in cubase9. It's all about cpu power per core, as life has showed (taking account that software runs together fine)
Old 27th December 2017
  #895
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Yes! Thank you SO much for this info. It's one of the only things keeping me from upgrading. Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks again!
Glad to help! To be honest I don't use Nebula much these days (I don't even know if I have the latest version), but I fired it up, loaded up some N3 factory library programs, ran some signals through, and twisted some knobs/sliders, and everything worked as it always has. I didn't do any extensive testing to know if there are any issues to be aware of, so I'd say a YMMV warning is in order...
Old 28th December 2017
  #896
Gear Maniac
 

Its been a year where is the promised multi rack system for loading N4 presets?
Old 28th December 2017
  #897
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Trying to move my library off the o/s drive as it's getting too big and I bought a new sample drive for xmas.

So I copied the nebula4temprepositoru to my F drive and then I deleted all the programs and vectors from my C drive except for the INIT files.
I then opened N4 and with the settings dialogue added an altdatapath to F:/Nebula4temprepository.

After restarting the plug this seemed to work OK but I decided to make a change to the finder options too. I changed to not open subfolders and reloaded the plug.
Now finder only shows the single INIT preset under preamps. I checked the settings and the ALtdatapath is still correct, i deleted and re-added but I cannot access any of my library on the new drive.

Any idea how I can get this working??

Thanks!
Old 28th December 2017
  #898
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Trying to move my library off the o/s drive as it's getting too big and I bought a new sample drive for xmas.

So I copied the nebula4temprepositoru to my F drive and then I deleted all the programs and vectors from my C drive except for the INIT files.
I then opened N4 and with the settings dialogue added an altdatapath to F:/Nebula4temprepository.

After restarting the plug this seemed to work OK but I decided to make a change to the finder options too. I changed to not open subfolders and reloaded the plug.
Now finder only shows the single INIT preset under preamps. I checked the settings and the ALtdatapath is still correct, i deleted and re-added but I cannot access any of my library on the new drive.

Any idea how I can get this working??

Thanks!
AFAIK some folders must be in the original folder (Skins and Properties being examples but I don't know the full list).
Old 28th December 2017
  #899
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
AFAIK some folders must be in the original folder (Skins and Properties being examples but I don't know the full list).
Thanks....but everything except program and vector files are still in the original location.
I also checked the xml and the altdatapath is correctly written to the xml.
Old 28th December 2017
  #900
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Thanks....but everything except program and vector files are still in the original location.
I also checked the xml and the altdatapath is correctly written to the xml.
Going for an obvious one here but worth checking: did you update both AU and VST XML files?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump