The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th May 2017
  #751
Lives for gear
 

Do the knobs reset to zero after moving them ? Might be an authorization issue.
Old 7th May 2017
  #752
Here for the gear
 
Kobfried's Avatar
 

no,they reset only-i know this issue,but thanks!
regards,chris
Old 7th May 2017
  #753
Gear Maniac
 

Nebula 4 & Pro Tools

Is N4 useful for Pro Tools users?
Old 18th May 2017
  #754
Gear Head
 
Antagon1st's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Is N4 useful for Pro Tools users?
For me, yes. I'm currently on Pro Tools 12.7 for Mac and I get very little headache from N4, as of recently. Mostly because of the updated bug fixes and PT12's "Freeze" feature, I'm able to quickly dial in eq or compression, hit the "freeze" button, grab a sip of water and move to the next instrument. Workflow is much faster than it was years ago, but I wouldn't recommend to engineers with low patience.
Old 18th May 2017
  #755
Gear Head
 

How do N4 compressors (inc the ones from TimP, AlexB, etc) compare with Acqua's offerings?

Does the Ultramarine3 offer more/better results than the Nebula libraries?
Old 19th May 2017
  #756
Lives for gear
 

N-4 now comes with a new compressor ... VIOLET. Very very nice. [there is also ROSE and YELLOW] Can't comment on those, as Violet still liking.

There are many compressor libraries and Acquas available. The very latest releases from AlexB and TimP really push the technology. It is important to know
that only the native N-4 compressors [mentioned above], and the ACQUAs access the latest Acustica technology. We all look forward to 3rd party Devs having the N-4 tools.

As to Compressor proper ... there are several criteria that bear consideration, and then to application and need.

It is a HUGE topic ... deserves its' own thread ... and opened to other User experience and comments.
Old 19th May 2017
  #757
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
N-4 now comes with a new compressor ... VIOLET. Very very nice. [there is also ROSE and YELLOW] Can't comment on those, as Violet still liking.

There are many compressor libraries and Acquas available. The very latest releases from AlexB and TimP really push the technology. It is important to know
that only the native N-4 compressors [mentioned above], and the ACQUAs access the latest Acustica technology. We all look forward to 3rd party Devs having the N-4 tools.

As to Compressor proper ... there are several criteria that bear consideration, and then to application and need.

It is a HUGE topic ... deserves its' own thread ... and opened to other User experience and comments.
Interesting. I'm reading that the highest quality N4 libraries (i.e. EQ, Preamp, etc) sound "the best" (albeit with additional workflow), but the acqua compressors behave more predictably. Perhaps its best using the N4 libraries with Ultramarine3/Gold/Tan compressors. Would like to hear any additional comments if you (or others) have thoughts on that.
Old 19th May 2017
  #758
Lives for gear
 

Till someone else jumps in ...

For my work, NEBULA is a major tool of choice ... the problem .... sooo many choices. This in combination with various ACQUAs.

The variable. The source, what I'd like to accomplish, and maybe ... my mood [?].

What I mean. There are plenty of projects that are 95% N-4. Other projects ... 95% ACQUA.

Granted, the introduction of ACQUA's have expanded the choices. There are products exclusive in each format. In full disclosure, I also have a very few remaining 'algos' that I call on, and work them purposefully into my Acustica chain.

My 'answer' may not help others, but for my work ... I use both formats. I have years experience with the various brands. Those 'new' to me are studied/learned, so that at a future project, I know my choices.

And as anyone else might, I also have my 'favorite of the month'. That could change ... and I don't mind.

Lastly ... I could work with only N-4. There are several ACQUA's that I find wonderful. The select 'algos' have earned their place [or they are gone/replaced], and fulfill specific role. The affordability of NEBULA libraries is pure treasure trove. [i mean, where could one get a tube EQ in pristine sonic condition, with multiple units available ... for 30 bucks. the cost of a single tube]. It's a no-brainer. Also ... where would I store the SSL, or API Console when the NEVE 88 is pulled in. [it took 6 of us to move the last Console ... don't want to do that anymore].

Important. Read up on products, get some opinions ... grab the DEMO/TRIAL, and put it on your music. In the end, that is what matters.
Old 20th May 2017
  #759
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Lastly ... I could work with only N-4. There are several ACQUA's that I find wonderful. The select 'algos' have earned their place [or they are gone/replaced], and fulfill specific role. The affordability of NEBULA libraries is pure treasure trove. [i mean, where could one get a tube EQ in pristine sonic condition, with multiple units available ... for 30 bucks. the cost of a single tube]. It's a no-brainer. Also ... where would I store the SSL, or API Console when the NEVE 88 is pulled in. [it took 6 of us to move the last Console ... don't want to do that anymore].
I just found some old comments of yours on this thread! • View topic - Nebula Signal Chain

I posted the below on a different forum, but if you (and others!) don't mind expanding on this, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the following. Note I realize this is all subjective.

1) How exactly do you use N4? For 1) tracking and 2) mixing. (assume using a great computer)

2) As a continuation from question 1) How do you get the most "real/analog" sound possible? i.e. recreating a full chain. Something like the below (with gain staging between each program)? Please add/subtract how you see fit and assume you are willing to torture yourself on the way to sonic bliss.

Tracking: Do you record with Nebula applied? Or do it post?
1. Preamp (Or Console Input-Mic)
1.1 - Console Line input (choose less colored strip)
OR
1.2 - Light comp (to control level)
2. Tape Preamp (or Tube)
3. Tape.
Render. Now you've tracked your tracks on Tape. After printing to tape ... you then have the return from 'tape' BACK into a console

Mixing:
Each channel:
1. Console Input
2. FX (EQ, Comp, bla bla)
2.1 If u want more saturation and color - TAPE.
Not each channel i'll be printin. Drums, Bass and guitars - 100%. Voco and other - it depends on you and sound u want.
Group Bus:
1. Console Group Bus
2. Whatever you want
Master Bus:
1. Console MixBuss
2. TapeMachine preamp (or Tube)
3. Tape

3) What is your process for EQ in Nebula? Say you have AlexB's MMeQ (with the individual bands). Do you load each band succesively? Does it matter the order? I imagine it wouldn't as you are affecting only certain frequencies... esp with proper gain staging in between each... Can quickly see how/why Acqua EQ is better for workflow, but "best" quality sound is what I am after (which I understand some of these N4 libraries are still "better" than Acqua).

4) Also, how are people side chaining (ducking) with Nebula / Acustica?

I'm not following what is happening in this demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXgQWOdp5w
Old 20th May 2017
  #760
Lives for gear
 

Hi jimmyjam ...

not a lot of time tonite for a detailed reply.

But off the top ... what you have posted would be a way to go. [maybe a few variations].

To one question raised ... I don't track much anymore, and most likely would not use plugins. [this ... totally opposite of many years in analogue only studio work ... but] Today ... my main work is Mastering/Restoration with some Mixing.

To Nebula EQ's. The AlexB MMeQ is an excellent EQ ... it has its' learning curve though ... but very well worth the study time in how it responds.

There is important information included in the AlexB MANUAL [pdf]. It would be good to review, as he outlines how to configure Presets ... particularly to match the original hardware. Read that ... post questions if you have.

Nebula and Acqua are different workflows. Each has units, features, that make both desired. They also have different workflows. They can be combined if you have both.

For example. With a recorded track, a Nebula PreAmp, Console, Tape, can be the starting point. Soloing the track might not knock your socks off ... although, one might want spare underware ... just for those times.

For general EQ'ing during Mix. Due to the number of tracks in a project, it is easy to see ACQUA as a main tool ... just for workflow convenience. As to Acqua 'sonics' ... lets just say, it is not an 'algo' plugin. In fact, an ACQUA plugin IS actually multiple N-4's in a single GUI.

NEBULA ... affordable, quality libraries ... and there are plenty to chose from. Can be overwhelming.

2. Take time to peruse the AA forum. Yeah ... it can be a bit scattered at times, hard to find specifics ... well worth the search.
You'll probably find the same questions being asked ... but at AA ... there's a lot of Nebulites, with all kinds of information, critiques, complaints, compliments,
shared.

Most everything there are 'audio nutz' in some passionate form ... or just nutz [but I don't mind ... I've been called worse]
One thing for sure, your with a group of people quite passionate about audio.

that's all the time I have for now ....
Old 22nd May 2017
  #761
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Hey guys i just updated nebula 4 to the latest version,my third party libraries seems to need adding over again,cool no surprise there,but is this going to be an ongoing thing?would we have to add the third party paths everytime there's an update..thanks.
Old 29th May 2017
  #762
Gear Addict
Im trying the free version of N4 and when I select a preset and try to adjust the controls, the knobs all revert back to zero, with the exception of the input and output knobs..... is this a deliberate limitation or is there something wrong here?

ALso the vst 2 version does not work... When installed, and I try to load it in Cubase 9, a small box comes up as to indicate that their is some graphical problem or something... But when I install the VST 3 version, it then comes up but I can't adjust any settings.... except for the input and output knobs.

So if there is any solution to this kinda annoying issue I would appreciate some info...

Already submitted a ticket and posted on the forum with no response thus far.
Old 29th May 2017
  #763
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

You need the pro version for 90% of the programs out there. Is this a program that comes with it? They should work ok.
Old 29th May 2017
  #764
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
You need the pro version for 90% of the programs out there. Is this a program that comes with it? They should work ok.
That's the thing, it was installed with N4 free.. So i was thinking that because the presets that i'm referring to were Installed with N4free, that should be able to access the controls.... Not So??? I mean, it is this way with n3free.. With the free presets in n3free I can access ALL the controls and move them around.... So that is what is confusing me here.....

And i'm wondering if it's a bug?? or is it how it supposed to be with n4free... It's a bit annoying to be honest.
Old 29th May 2017
  #765
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustream View Post
That's the thing, it was installed with N4 free.. So i was thinking that because the presets that i'm referring to were Installed with N4free, that should be able to access the controls.... Not So??? I mean, it is this way with n3free.. With the free presets in n3free I can access ALL the controls and move them around.... So that is what is confusing me here.....

And i'm wondering if it's a bug?? or is it how it supposed to be with n4free... It's a bit annoying to be honest.
Not 100% sure but I don't think N4 Free comes with any library.
Maybe you downloaded the trial libraries which need to be authorised before you can use them??

From the release thread:

Quote:
IMPORTANT:

-N4 free available, it doesn't require authorization
-Nebula4 TRIAL libraries for N4 FREE require authorization! (like our Acqua plugins)[/u]
-Nebula3 libraries are compatible with N4.
Old 29th May 2017
  #766
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Not 100% sure but I don't think N4 Free comes with any library.
Maybe you downloaded the trial libraries which need to be authorised before you can use them??

From the release thread:
Ahh.. Thank you for this information bro

I didn't realize that the n4 trial libraries needed authorisation....
And i had to do it the old way as well..

Ok.. it's working now (the vst 3 version)...

Thanks for the info..

Another question, do you know if the n4 trial libraries are time limited like how demo plugins are? or are they like n3free where you can use them for life.??
Old 29th May 2017
  #767
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

They are a 30 day trial of the library that comes with N4 full version.
Old 30th May 2017
  #768
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
They are a 30 day trial of the library that comes with N4 full version.
ok cool.. THanks for the info..
Old 5th June 2017
  #769
Anyone got any tips for the best nebula/Acustica tube 'preamp' for mix bus/mastering?
Old 5th June 2017
  #770
Lives for gear
 

AlexB Modern Tube Preamp.

deja vu
Old 11th June 2017
  #771
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Nebula4 update page at least please, so i can just check there for updates,because i'm guessing email notifications are a long shot. Thanks.
Old 12th June 2017
  #772
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
Nebula4 update page at least please, so i can just check there for updates,because i'm guessing email notifications are a long shot. Thanks.
There is a thread in AA for N4 updates @ https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB...p?f=11&t=29934
Old 12th June 2017
  #773
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Thank you very much!!

Just had a quick read through the n4 release thread so i think i'll wait as usual before i update,learned my lesson before.
Old 15th June 2017
  #774
Here for the gear
 

I will stay with N3 and everything works wonderful.
Old 15th June 2017
  #775
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holographic View Post
after having installed Nebula 4, here are two things to help with the installation:

there are two N4.SER files
- one for nebula 4, usually found in C:\nebula4temprepository
- one for rose, found where the plugin is installed (like with aqua´s plugins)

upload one of the SER files and place the license in the two locations.

if you have Nebula 3 installed and want to use your old libraries in Nebula 4 add this line to the configuration xmls (N4.xml and N4ZL.xml)
<ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>c:\nebulatemprepository\</ALTERNATIVEDATAPATH>


I ran into this issue last night, and have opened a ticket, but still have not heard from them. This was not clear to me as a new buyer, as I couldn't find it anywhere documented. Can someone from acustica get me going here? thnx
Old 15th June 2017
  #776
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland View Post
I ran into this issue last night, and have opened a ticket, but still have not heard from them. This was not clear to me as a new buyer, as I couldn't find it anywhere documented. Can someone from acustica get me going here? thnx
Which issue? Authorisation?
Old 15th June 2017
  #777
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybland View Post
I ran into this issue last night, and have opened a ticket, but still have not heard from them. This was not clear to me as a new buyer, as I couldn't find it anywhere documented. Can someone from acustica get me going here? thnx
What you had quoted [editing the XML file with Nebula-3 datapath] is NOT recommended.

Doing so may cause fundamental problems.

What should be done is COPY from the Neb-3 repository, the PROGRAM and VECTORS, to the new N-4 Repository.

2. As a 'new' User ... getting specific information, NOT directly from Acustica-Audio website, at your own peril. AA support is NOT here, and according to GS rules, cannot be practiced.
Old 16th June 2017
  #778
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
No worries. Anyway i think i got it sorted those analoginthebox libraries when you buy them they are only 32 bit versions. Last night i got email with 64 bit versions so will test it today later on.

Thanks to all the guys that were trying to help though !
I cant get my AITB Phonocamptica to produce a .ser file in N4. EAR worked fine.

Anyone know if it is possible to load a 32 bit version of N4? Or are there links to a 32 bit N3?
Old 16th June 2017
  #779
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Which issue? Authorisation?

Sorry this is my exact issue, as I just posted at AA forum.


Hello,
I had a huge issue understanding how to properly AUT N4 due to the TWO different AUT files, now my activations are 5 out of 5 used,meaning I cannot use ROSE or violet in N4.
This was caused becuz I wasn't aware I need to use a seperate ser. file for the aquas. Can someone reset my activations ?

When I load rose it says not authorized,but I was only given one aut file, god this is really confusing authorizing this plugin. N4 IS WORKING FINE, BUT NOT ROSE FOR WHATEVER REASON, I read gearslutz thread and it says this:

Originally Posted by holographic View Post
after having installed Nebula 4, here are two things to help with the installation:

there are two N4.SER files
- one for nebula 4, usually found in C:\nebula4temprepository
- one for rose, found where the plugin is installed (like with aqua´s plugins)

upload one of the SER files and place the license in the two locations.

This was unclear to me, anyways now I can't authorize rose, as my 5 out of 5 activations are expired?
Old 16th June 2017
  #780
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

There is only one aut file. Just copy the one for N4 into the folder with Rose.

And this would be a lot easier for you, if you just used the new Aquarius lite authorisation app that is on your dashboard page.

Last edited by stella645; 16th June 2017 at 10:21 AM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump