The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor For Music View Post
No I Just bought UAD's Chandler Curv Bender EQ and Zener Limiter, and it smokes all the nebula stuff and Pink, and tan lol
That's very relative and subjective, my experience is completely the opposite. You also need to add to the equation the price you paid for the UAD card, and the fact that you are limited on the number of plugins you can use. With my new i7, I can run as many Aqua and N4 instances as I want, can you do the same with UAD?

Soundwise and pricewise, there is nothing out there, nothing, that beats Aqua and N4.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

I got N4 at intro price and a loyalty coupon, pretty much a steal. That gave me instant access to the free commercial library and HO AYCE. That's a ton of (very usable) plugins. I bought TimP's Surge Eq and the mids Pultec for close to nothing. What other company gives so much value? Not even Klanghelm or TDR give so much bang for the buck.

As for the quality, I'll refer to the feedback provided by experienced engineers like Will the Weirdo. It's 2017, with modern CPUs, UAD is a bad investment. Period.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Addict

Bought Uad last year primarily for the unison tech,that alone i would say is a great investment, got about 12 plugins free and some coupons that can be combined together and with sales so thats a win.They have a lot of amazing sounding plugins and nice Gui.I can't knock them there,only thing i think could be revised is allowing or making native versions of their plugs to be used without the Hardware,which is underpowered compared to current cpu systems these days.But they are pretty good at marketing ease of use and stability,Slate has a great workflow really nice Gui and some stuff gets you a great sound pretty fast ,also their subscription model is genius and to be honest i can't stand ilok but it has it's uses it's the easiest re install and authorization every time i get a new comp or working on the go. So easy and seamless that's a win in itself plus they oofer you one for free if you don't have one. Nebula pretty much had and still has the power especially with amazing 3rd party libraries by AlexB CDS AITB and the incomparable Henry O AYCE to completely revolutionize the "in the box" audio world ,but dropped the ball on seemingly simple things like Gui ease of use, authorization and manual/tutorials,pretty much everything all the other majors are pretty good at,that's what i believe really sets Slate,Uad,Waves etc apart from Acustica audio,even though they pretty much might have the better product atm.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No I Just bought UAD's Chandler Curv Bender EQ and Zener Limiter, and it smokes all the nebula stuff and Pink, and tan lol
Man, I know you are frustrated with AA, and you do have your reasons. But don't try to spoil other people's excitement with a plugin.

There is no sense in saying that a Chandler's emulation is better than a API one, or SSL, or a huge library of preamps, tapes and etc. They are just too different, and serve different purposes.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Man, I know you are frustrated with AA, and you do have your reasons. But don't try to spoil other people's excitement with a plugin.

There is no sense in saying that a Chandler's emulation is better than a API one, or SSL, or a huge library of preamps, tapes and etc. They are just too different, and serve different purposes.
Just my honest opinion, have you tried them UAD and AA as I mentioned side by side yourself?

I have even put them up against my hardware of which I have an impressive collection and UAD are more real. As mentioned earlier I cant say how they compare to Coral as there are technical problems with the trial.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
As for the quality, I'll refer to the feedback provided by experienced engineers like Will the Weirdo. It's 2017, with modern CPUs, UAD is a bad investment. Period.
With my set up I am regularly mixing over 100-150 tracks in the box with no CPU hit with my UAD stuff, good luck with that statement in the real world.

I know Will on forums it was Will who put me onto AA last year but the CPU hit just amazingly high and having bands of EQ on separate plugs workflow killer. In a workflow sense you cant even compare UAD with AA, they don't compare UAD is miles ahead. In terms of sound UAD is top notch, Softtube are at the top of their game right now with the latest stuff.

I think the practical usage for AA is in Mastering and this is where I would concentrate my efforts if I was AA.

PS I own Nebula 3 with most of Alex B stuff, Pink and Tan, Redd Ochre
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just my honest opinion, have you tried them UAD and AA as I mentioned side by side yourself?

I have even put them up against my hardware of which I have an impressive collection and UAD are more real. As mentioned earlier I cant say how they compare to Coral as there are technical problems with the trial.
Ok, I will compare UAD Chandler's Zener with TimP 37J Tape. And then I will compare Pro Tools with Final Cut Pro. And then I will compare an apple with an orange.

All I am saying is that you can prefer one from another, but you can't compare them. Chandler's stuff can be awesome, but it is different from an API, and SSL, etc. It is like cooking, sometimes you need an ingredient, sometimes you need another ingredient.

Maybe you should compare plugins that emulates the same hardware, how about that?

BTW, I don't have and would love to have an UAD card. The Zener, especially, sounds sweet on the reviews that I saw.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
That's very relative and subjective, my experience is completely the opposite. You also need to add to the equation the price you paid for the UAD card, and the fact that you are limited on the number of plugins you can use. With my new i7, I can run as many Aqua and N4 instances as I want, can you do the same with UAD?

Soundwise and pricewise, there is nothing out there, nothing, that beats Aqua and N4.
I own most of the Hardware people go crazy about from API,SSL, Neve and the like, all the plugins from Waves, Most from UAD, cost isn't really an issue for me I have two Octo sats a quad sat 2 x black apollo 8 interfaces quad apollo twin duo (used mainly as a controller). I have audio interfaces by Lynx M Halo etc.

I also use Hybrid mixing so I have an API 1608 with automation.

Answer is yes I can run any amount of UAD plugs, My Mac is an I7.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you should compare plugins that emulates the same hardware, how about that?
UAD have the official licence to emulate a manufactures product, AA do not and I don't think that is there model. I don't care Neve, Chandler, API these are names, I don't care the name just what gets the job done, Coral could be a great mastering tool for all I know, it doesn't bother me its called Coral.

Some things have been around in the industry for so long they have gained and maintained their reputation to (Get The Job Done) and its for this reason they are sort after or desired in some cases.
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Ok, I will compare UAD Chandler's Zener with TimP 37J Tape. And then I will compare Pro Tools with Final Cut Pro. And then I will compare an apple with an orange.

All I am saying is that you can prefer one from another, but you can't compare them.
if we cannot compare an emulation plugin to another emulation plugin WTF ? everyone compares plugins to take best one. If they are EMULATIONS we MUST compare them.

NB I don't have UAD but friend of mine made a comparative test between UAD 32C Harrison and Harrison Mixbus 32C by Harrison. just common sense. we're not talking about oranges and apples but about apples and apples. if motor owns real hardwares and a lof of pro plugins I can mark his words. as drummer i can say what i think about emulations, a lot of them are simply CRAP because I have drums since 1986 and I own real sonorlite and zildjian. Some plugins sounds great (not the more expensive) other ones sounds like cheap carton. Some edrums (a few) sounds great other ones ( not some of the most expensive and standard and well known dunno why ? thx to marketing probably) are simply ridiculous. i know because i own some of the best ever.

If you own real hardware you MUST compare hardware to emulation.

And must admit I have a prb with AA names. Navy, pink, means nothing to me. Call them Neve... it's ok. When i play edrums with ddrum4Se I have the real names of soundbanks and instruments (zildjian, ludwig etc). it's easy to choose a paiste formula or a black beauty snaredrum... because I see REAL names on the list. AA might change this too.

Last edited by IPascal; 4th February 2017 at 01:46 PM..
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal View Post
And must admit I have a prb with AA names. Navy, pink, means nothing to me. Call them Neve... it's ok. When i play edrums with ddrum4Se I have the real names of soundbanks and instruments (zildjian, ludwig etc). it's easy to choose a paiste formula or a black beauty snaredrum... because I see REAL names on the list. AA might change this too.
I think AA or any other developer could face legal action if they name the devices they emulate without being endorsed by the company who make the original hardware.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal View Post
if we cannot compare an emulation plugin to another emulation plugin WTF ? everyone compares plugins to take best one. If they are EMULATIONS we MUST compare them.

NB I don't have UAD but friend of mine made a comparative test between UAD 32C Harrison and Harrison Mixbus 32C by Harrison. just common sense. we're not talking about oranges and apples but about apples and apples. if motor owns real hardwares and a lof of pro plugins I can mark his words. as drummer i can say what i think about emulations, a lot of them are simply CRAP because I have drums since 1986 and I own real sonorlite and zildjian. Some plugins sounds great (not the more expensive) other ones sounds like cheap carton. Some edrums (a few) sounds great other ones ( not some of the most expensive and standard and well known dunno why ? thx to marketing probably) are simply ridiculous. i know because i own some of the best ever.

If you own real hardware you MUST compare hardware to emulation.

I was talking about the claim that Chandler's Zener is better than "Pink, Tan and Nebula stuff". I don't think that you can compare a Chandler Limited with an API, an SSL, etc. But you can prefer one over the other one, that is fine.

You can compare Pink with UAD API 2500, for example, or Sand Bus Compressor with The Glue. That makes sense to me. But saying that UAD new plugin "smokes" all AA emulations, don't make any sense at all.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
I think AA or any other developer could face legal action if they name the devices they emulate without being endorsed by the company who make the original hardware.
We'll have official endorsements this year
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Great stuff! Presumably these will be for Aqua plugs?
Any clues as to manufacturers we can expect?
Old 4th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
A lot of nice and great things coming ! great !
Old 4th February 2017
Viking4
I 100% agree with the apples vs. oranges comment.

But guys I get the feeling we are being baited.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking4 View Post
I 100% agree with the apples vs. oranges comment.

But guys I get the feeling we are being baited.
Its funny because on UAD threads and in particular the Chandler Zener thread, engineers were comparing it to Sand, I dont say sand is a chandler emulation. If Sand sounds great who cares if its called Sand or Chandler?

I support AA and have purchased a fair few products as G will attest, I would have purchased Coral if the Trail version only worked. Iam not a fan boy of any system, I can get a job done with most stuff,. but the DSP in the UA stuff zero hit on your CPU has to have some value in the real world.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Perhaps guys if your getting mileage out of AA plugs u could post some songs/ music you mixed using these plugs,
Old 4th February 2017
Viking4
Quote:
Its funny because on UAD threads and in particular the Chandler Zener thread, engineers were comparing it to Sand, I dont say sand is a chandler emulation. If Sand sounds great who cares if its called Sand or Chandler?

I support AA and have purchased a fair few products as G will attest, I would have purchased Coral if the Trail version only worked. Iam not a fan boy of any system, I can get a job done with most stuff,. but the DSP in the UA stuff zero hit on your CPU has to have some value in the real world.
Well Ok lots of different equipment can get the job done. I don't think Coral makes or breaks my setup either. I do like it a lot though. And of course there are always other issues like CPU. But I find that this discourse is becoming more destructive than constructive. I still find it a bit silly to compare two pieces of equipment sonically that are quite different. Also, I agree that some aspects of AA's system could be improved, but to me it is nowhere near a dealbreaker. I am also not particularily brand loyal so I don't like to fight about particular brands. Finally IMHO it is unwise to use product demos on paid projects. However, others may do it with great success.
Old 4th February 2017
Viking4
Quote:
Perhaps guys if your getting mileage out of AA plugs u could post some songs/ music you mixed using these plugs,
My next project I want to use a lot of Lime on it. If I get permission I will post. I have limited permissions for some of my past projects.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally IMHO it is unwise to use product demos on paid projects. However, others may do it with great success.
I do this quite a bit with UAD as you can save all your setups in the daw and when it comes time just hit authorize and away you go

Unwise to do it with AA stuff though I agree
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think Coral makes or breaks my setup either. I do like it a lot though.
Yeah its funny cause that's how I felt about Nebula and Pink, I couldn't get enough instances of pink to work on a big mix so I tended to bypass it, same as Neb.

In the mastering process though CPU is less of an issue, that's why I was interested in Mastering tools, so I can get a quick master together to demo to an arist before it goes to mastering
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In Acustica's own forum there is a section where users can post songs. Some of the songs are made exclusively with AA plugins. Go check it out.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
In Acustica's own forum there is a section where users can post songs. Some of the songs are made exclusively with AA plugins. Go check it out.
Thanks it would be nice to hear what the guys in this thread are doing though, a lot of the links on the AA site are broken too.
Old 4th February 2017
Viking4
Quote:
I do this quite a bit with UAD as you can save all your setups in the daw and when it comes time just hit authorize and away you go

Unwise to do it with AA stuff though I agree
I do it as a rule of thumb. I've been burned in other instances with other brands as well. But Ok let's agree to disagree.

Quote:
Yeah its funny cause that's how I felt about Nebula and Pink, I couldn't get enough instances of pink to work on a big mix so I tended to bypass it, same as Neb.

In the mastering process though CPU is less of an issue, that's why I was interested in Mastering tools, so I can get a quick master together to demo to an arist before it goes to mastering
I think you're intentionally taking me out of context. So I give up. Bye.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do it as a rule of thumb. I've been burned in other instances with other brands as well. But Ok let's agree to disagree.

I think you're intentionally taking me out of context. So I give up. Bye.
Opps sorry fan boy detected lol
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks it would be nice to hear what the guys in this thread are doing though, a lot of the links on the AA site are broken too.
What are you talking about, man? You always have something bad to say. A lot of the users on acustica's forum are users here too.

Look, go here: https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9 there are a lot of songs with links that are not broken.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What are you talking about, man? You always have something bad to say. A lot of the users on acustica's forum are users here too.

Look, go here: https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=9 there are a lot of songs with links that are not broken.
Have you got a link on there ? I'd like to hear what you do with these plugs
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you got a link on there ? I'd like to hear what you do with these plugs
Sorry, I don't.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I don't.
I haven't been able to carry out a full mix with AA, the only way could try is render in place as I go, I was going to try mastering with Coral this week.

I only have a laptop i7 Macbook Pro 16mb ram as I travel with it. so it doesn't have an awful lot of CPU power.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search