The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
A bit late to the party here but couple of questions:

1) Is there an upgrade price going from Nebula 3 to 4? I can't seem to find it on the website, only the full price option.
There is 30% for Nebula 3 users. They not announced it on web, but sent discount coupon to existing users emails. Many of us (like me) didn receive this email, there was long thread about this on Acustica forum, but You need to open ticket and they send coupon really fast then. Now is the right moment for upgrade, because until 1 February is only intro price for N4, so now You can get 30% from intro price, later only from full price.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Yes. N-4 is a separate product. Projects with Neb-3 will load Neb-3.

Some confusion. Even though N-4 does load Nebula-3 libraries [and actually they sound even better], N-4 cannot directly link to the Neb-3 repository due to conflicts in Authorization [INIT] files.

So, unless something changes, you must duplicate libraries between the 2 repositories.
Which libraries sound better in N4 than N3?

Have you done phase cancellation tests?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEnd View Post
There is 30% for Nebula 3 users. They not announced it on web, but sent discount coupon to existing users emails. Many of us (like me) didn receive this email, there was long thread about this on Acustica forum, but You need to open ticket and they send coupon really fast then. Now is the right moment for upgrade, because until 1 February is only intro price for N4, so now You can get 30% from intro price, later only from full price.
Ah ok cool, thanks. Yeah I didn't receive an email. Is that 30% in addition to the presale discount?
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yes... Contact us, we'll provide coupons
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
Which libraries sound better in N4 than N3?

Have you done phase cancellation tests?
I've not done null testing.

Libraries comparisons are evaluated in our Mastering Suite. I've not been through all the 100+ libraries ... but those that I've have compared, each have sounded better through N-4.
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear

Question 1414706

N4 works fine for me (and sounds amazing!). only the "1414706" says master descriptor not found. any help out there?
regards
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

You need to rename it to nebula3 in order to use it as regular nebula plug-in
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
you must duplicate libraries between the 2 repositories.
Not necessary to do that which takes up more HDD space. Best is to have all 3rd party libs in a folder (without INIT file) hence making things easier. Both N3 and N4 can see the same libs by using/adding "Alternativedatapath" systax to the xml file.
Old 21st January 2017
Gear Nut

I haven't used Nebula until I got N4. Before that I didn't know what it was and I didn't understand what AA's schtick was. But I got curious and delved into it and then understood the big deal, and what Nebula is. I bought it and also some libraries. I ams sure you tenured Nebula users will laugh when I say I didn't realize that the cost of Nebula itself was the least of my concerns - the libraries get expensive as you accumulate them. and I have less that you guys do! so I know what I'm in for now.

Outside of the sound quality of Nebula I wanted to comment on the workdflow - I have only used typical plugins until Nebula and so I was used to GUI's like FabFilter, Elosis, Nugen, and all those fancy great UIs and also all the skeuomorphism that abounds. But with Nebula and no skins, it really forces me into a per-band per-device workflow. This actually works well for me in the way I work with typical plugins. I've been able to go back and re-mastered a bunch of tracks and improve them quite quickly with N4 and the 3rd party libraries I have.

Most of the time people complain about the UI, so I wanted to share my perspective on the side of the fence.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Not necessary to do that which takes up more HDD space. Best is to have all 3rd party libs in a folder (without INIT file) hence making things easier. Both N3 and N4 can see the same libs by using/adding "Alternativedatapath" systax to the xml file.
Well, what you state is true, IF ... and a big IF .... you are NOT using Neb-3 anymore.

I have a multitude of projects based on Neb-3. Even if I was to manually substitute each Neb-3 instance with N-4, I still need Neb-3 access to the library.

[or am I overlooking something] ?
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, what you state is true, IF ... and a big IF .... you are NOT using Neb-3 anymore.

I have a multitude of projects based on Neb-3. Even if I was to manually substitute each Neb-3 instance with N-4, I still need Neb-3 access to the library.

[or am I overlooking something] ?

I use both N3 and N4

I have multitudes of project on N3 as well and all of them recall the presets as per the saved project.

Simply put, i add both "Alternativedatapath" systax in N3 and N4 xml and point it to the folder i've made to hold all 3rd parties programs and vectors on another HDD or external HDD. Hence both N3 and N4 see the same libraries. Only AA commercial libs v5, I'll leave it as per installed location.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Hi davidgary73,

To better understand what you've done.

1. You set up a 'generic' location for 'nebulatemprepository', with Programs/Vectors holding all your libraries.
2. With the 'original' nebulatemprepository [from Install ... drive: C ?], you keep your authorized INIT files in programs/vectors.
3. N-4 repository basically holds no presets, only the authorizing INIT files in the Programs/Vectors folders.

correct ?

if so ... what about the specific N-4 presets?
Do they show up in Neb-3? or do you not even use Neb-3 for only loading past projects?

I've not tried this approach from a 'beta-tester' perspective. But it does make sense, with the addition of the ALT-PATH TAG pointing to the related repositories AND to the new, main Preset repository.

Will wait for your confirmation.

thanks
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi davidgary73,

To better understand what you've done.

1. You set up a 'generic' location for 'nebulatemprepository', with Programs/Vectors holding all your libraries.
2. With the 'original' nebulatemprepository [from Install ... drive: C ?], you keep your authorized INIT files in programs/vectors.
3. N-4 repository basically holds no presets, only the authorizing INIT files in the Programs/Vectors folders.

correct ?

if so ... what about the specific N-4 presets?
Do they show up in Neb-3? or do you not even use Neb-3 for only loading past projects?

I've not tried this approach from a 'beta-tester' perspective. But it does make sense, with the addition of the ALT-PATH TAG pointing to the related repositories AND to the new, main Preset repository.

Will wait for your confirmation.

thanks
1. Yes, a generic location Preset repository and it can be on a few locations too in different internal drive or ext drive.
2. Neb-3 'original' nebulatemprepository, only authorized INIT files in Programs/Vectors folder.
3. N-4 only authorized INIT files in the Programs/Vectors folders.

N4 specific presets like all AA Corm v5 libs, i'll keep it as per the installation setup and they will not show up in N3. I can always move them to another location when i need to.

I have Neb-3 on older projects and they load up fine and i'll still use Neb-3 in tandem with N4.

You need to edit both Neb-3 and N4 xml file and have the ALT-PATH TAG pointing to the generic location Preset repository while keeping the <DATAPATH> systax as per the installation setup location.

Last edited by davidgary73; 21st January 2017 at 12:44 PM..
Old 21st January 2017
Here for the gear

thanks for replys.is this "1414706" version better than my n3 server (also core 9?). i have just a few alexB and analoginthebox plux and they are working fine in N4 - so maybe i cancel N3.also had to check setups with "agent".
regards,Chris
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobfried View Post
thanks for replys.is this "1414706" version better than my n3 server (also core 9?). i have just a few alexB and analoginthebox plux and they are working fine in N4 - so maybe i cancel N3.also had to check setups with "agent".
regards,Chris
N4 is definitely has a better engine (Core9) than Neb3 (Core 7) and best to use both Neb3 and N4. Neb3 still has it usage for backward compatibility for your older projects and your Agent setup.

Perhaps you can move to N4 at a later stage
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

I purchased N4 yesterday. The installation and authorization worked without any problems but only Rose got authorized. N4 is still asking for authorization.

This is on Win10 64 running Protools 12.7 AAX.

I've opened a ticket with AA and hope they can resolve this soon.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Copy the aut file also in your nebula repository
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

I tried that and it didn't work.
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

VST-2 or 3 ?
Old 22nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

AAX actually. I installed the vst2 and ran it in S1 to see if it would generate a new ser file but it didn't.

I also tried putting the N4.ser and N4.aut files that are only authorizing Rose right now in the N4 vst folder but they don't authorize the vst either.

I'm sure it's a simple fix and AA will get it fixed for me.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Head

To N3 owners, is this upgrade worth it? I had a lot of problems with N3 despite the great sound quality, and it seems like most posts in this thread are about issues/bugs.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

N4 is not an 'upgrade' ... it is a separate, new product ... that happens to also share the ability to load Neb-3 libraries.

Though we have report of some issues [as mentioned], everything working on my PC, Win7[64], Reaper[64] rig.

Slowly, I'm transferring over to N4. I am finding that every library sounds better in N4.

I'd caution ... I cannot simply replace every Neb-3 instance with the same in N4 ... due that N4 sounds 'clearer', with less muddiness [for example],
so in some cases, I would need to modify eq settings ... or eliminate an instance all together.

All new Mastering sessions will be N4 based from now on.

N-3 and N-4 will coexist [having separate repositories]. They should have a TRIAL version available.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
N4 is not an 'upgrade' ... it is a separate, new product ... that happens to also share the ability to load Neb-3 libraries.
I hear what you're saying... but, if it's not an upgraded version, why did they name it Nebula 4?
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Edwards View Post
To N3 owners, is this upgrade worth it? I had a lot of problems with N3 despite the great sound quality, and it seems like most posts in this thread are about issues/bugs.
same here
Quote:
How do I find my libraries (AlexB, TimP etc)? In Nebula3, I would right click on Init but you guys have taken that away apparently and I have no idea where to find my libraries. Your manual mentions something about a Browser but do I find that?
pfff.... i have the same prbs i cannot use my N3 so i won't pay for N4 .

my N3pro is still not usable. Bought N3pro 3 years ago because pros told me it was the best sounding system. And I couldn't not use it, never. I have many many plugins, from harrison to klanghelm, waves, slate, even open source plugins on ardour works when ...i simply clic on them ! What's the matter ? I'm still trying to use my nebula3 and ... it's still a total pain.

Last edited by IPascal; 25th January 2017 at 06:36 PM..
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I hear what you're saying... but, if it's not an upgraded version, why did they name it Nebula 4?
I thought they named it .... N4

For clarity ... I do not consider 2 separate products that can coexist, an upgrade.

An 'upgrade', imo, would OVERWRITE the previous version.

I'm intentionally ignoring the similarities of basic functions, and that N4 can read Neb-3 libraries. [Neb-3 cannot read N4 libraries as best I know].

OK ?
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thought they named it .... N4

For clarity ... I do not consider 2 separate products that can coexist, an upgrade.

An 'upgrade', imo, would OVERWRITE the previous version.

I'm intentionally ignoring the similarities of basic functions, and that N4 can read Neb-3 libraries. [Neb-3 cannot read N4 libraries as best I know].

OK ?
It's the same company, same developers, same product name and same general purpose of use and function. Of course it's an upgrade. 4 follows 3. It isn't a coincidence.

And with regard to your claim of "muddiness" for N3 libraries, we are still waiting on those phase cancellation tests.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Addict
Ok. Lads, it's a new, 'improved,' model. " 'Cos your worth it!"
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Ok. Lads, it's a new, 'improved,' model. " 'Cos your worth it!"
Agreed
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
It's the same company, same developers, same product name and same general purpose of use and function. Of course it's an upgrade. 4 follows 3. It isn't a coincidence.

And with regard to your claim of "muddiness" for N3 libraries, we are still waiting on those phase cancellation tests.
You are welcome to maintain your serial view of products, I will not agree with that perception.

I will not be allocating any time to do 'phase cancellation tests'. I do have some level of trust, with 40+ years in Pro Audio and in my Mastering Control Room listening environment.

As to my 'muddiness' claim ... it has been in conversation we've had in the Beta-Testing forum. Since I work with the latest beta-Nebula-Engines [over 100+], I am not sure of what version is out commercially. So I was surprised when we received the first N4 release. I did not expect a significant improvement over the latest beta versions.

Though there has been no official statement or claim to this, it is suggested that the N4 architecture, with advancements in internal sample alignment and timing may be the reason.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You are most welcome to maintain your serial view of products, I will not agree with that perception.

I will not be allocating any time to do 'phase cancellation tests'. I do have some level of trust, with 40+ years in Pro Audio and in my Mastering Control Room listening environment.
So you're saying we should trust your ears rather than actual data. You allocate an awful lot of time on these boards. Two minutes to flip the phase on an N4 pass and an N3 pass would be time well spent for all of us.

But whatever ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search