The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th December 2016
  #331
Lives for gear
 
ROCKER STUDIOS's Avatar
I'm going back to Nzero hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
N4 (Nebula4) is finally out!-fb_img_1482951670648.jpg  
Old 28th December 2016
  #332
Lives for gear
 

Uhm why people are writing new XML and alternative data paths what not. I simply copied my old library Programs and Vectors in to new N4 repository folder and everything is working just like that out of the box

I am still keeping old N3 repository and a plugin but slowly revising every my session and just exchange n3 with n4 and everything is working. No hacking now xml script no anything it simply work flawless.
Old 28th December 2016
  #333
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Same here, but won't you have to keep Neb3 for past projects?
No, maybe i was not clear. I am revising every project and exchanging N3 with N4 with same settings/presets and programs. So i can recall project but it will be with N4 plugin then not N3 anymore. I am at 40% of everything. Once when i "translate" every project session from N3 to N4 i will simply delete old N3 repository and a N3 plugin and from that point i will simply use N4 instead.

N3 goes in hall of fame.
Old 28th December 2016
  #334
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
Im getting a headache, at this point Analog is easier to set up I mean with the crazy file import and setup and having to render the tracks all the time to keep cpu down its not like i can run a whole session anyways // Love the sound but Man at this point ill just grab a knob ///the Whole point of ITB Mixing is for recall if I have to render the tracks all the time it kind of throws recall out the window you guys are on to something sound wise but a long way to go for USER EASE and STABILITY
Honestly, it's not THAT bad.
Before I bought n3, I did hear horror stories about it, but it wasn't nearly that bad, TBH.
I bought N3, and sure, it was different, but it didn't take me that long to get it. It's fairly easy if you just read the info (authorize it, then place the programs and vectors in their own folders).
I don't even own n4 yet, but reading what's been written here, I think I already get it based on what I understand about n3.
Old 28th December 2016
  #335
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
Exactly, the xml tag is a sort of manual hack
A lot of time ago it was requested by several users, but imho it's time to wait it will be managed by the interface. Just install libraries in the repository and it will work.
Very soon we'll have an update on this exact matter, and you'll be able to point to different libraries easily.
@ROCKER STUDIOS: this is nebula! now you understand the reason why we've released acqua plugins. Anyway there are so many things where the workflow if exactly the same: preamps, microphones, tapes, compressors. Specifically about equalizers, we'll have soon acqua libraries, so featuring the same workflow you find in acqua plugins. It is not just a matter of gui: the new acqua format is heavily optimized compared with older nebula format, as you experienced in acqua plugins (cpu load is lower!)
Old 28th December 2016
  #336
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
having to render the tracks all the time to keep cpu down
Once you can load multiple instances (February I think) that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I'm jelous you even have the thing running, I can't load any libraries that come with it.
Old 28th December 2016
  #337
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Specifically about equalizers, we'll have soon acqua libraries, so featuring the same workflow you find in acqua plugins. It is not just a matter of gui: the new acqua format is heavily optimized compared with older nebula format, as you experienced in acqua plugins (cpu load is lower!)
Please say you have some badass (and also lofi and crusty) tape machines coming for n4? Or are some already bundled?
Old 28th December 2016
  #338
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalb View Post
Once you can load multiple instances (February I think) that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I'm jelous you even have the thing running, I can't load any libraries that come with it.
Combining presets into single instance will be great but I would imagine they will still use a similar amount of cpu.
Old 28th December 2016
  #339
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER STUDIOS View Post
Im getting a headache, at this point Analog is easier to set up I mean with the crazy file import and setup and having to render the tracks all the time to keep cpu down its not like i can run a whole session anyways // Love the sound but Man at this point ill just grab a knob ///the Whole point of ITB Mixing is for recall if I have to render the tracks all the time it kind of throws recall out the window you guys are on to something sound wise but a long way to go for USER EASE and STABILITY
Oh how I miss the physical touch of knobs and faders, both hands interacting. Close your eyes, and zero in on the sweet spot.

A mouse and pointer just ain't the same.

This will be the year to serious look into hardware controllers that focus on flexible configuration specific for EFXs [EQs, Compressors].

To the workflow ...

Back when my Quad-Core and Win-XP seemed all I needed, Nebula was the first plugin that actually produced a 'wimper' from my computer. First time that ever happened ... very sad.

Freezing tracks was always an option ... but I was not always ready to commit.

A substitute work-flow was employed.

I had some top ALGO's, [DMG-eq, Fab-eq, etc].

Whenever I used them, they did the corrections, but I lost the vibe and 3d depth and musicality. The improvement .... follow any ALGO with a NEBULA. Some type of PreAmp. It could come from an EQ, compressor, Console, etc.
Not as nice as a full NEB chain, but better than without.

2. CONSOLES ... these guys can be a CPU beast. There are no user adjustments, but Devs like AlexB go heavy on kernels.

The concept of 'Pre-conditioning' tracks ensued. Either with a stand-alone RENDERMaN app [by ZAB], or freezing in Reaper. The only thing running real-time was the final BUS presets, as I prefer them at the end of the chain as in a normal console flow.

This definitely help get work down. Obviously ... my new computer build was the best thing I did [after my XP burned up and forced a new build].

With Mastering, I rarely 'freeze' to continue. When I render, it is to establish a new reference point to continue from. I also don't need zero-latency, and comfortable with buffers of 2048.

A key point. When using Neb Pre-amps and such, it seems to lessen the amount of other processing needed. That's not to say that a source might definitely need some serious eq twists to shape to what's wanted ...

For old-time NEB users, we have an improved perspective from todays implementation. A newer generation computer lets NEB/ACQUA access newer instruction sets of efficiency.

IMO ... quality does come with a price. I know NEBULA/ACQUA are criticized for CPU use ... but if anyone tests DMG-EQualibrium with some of its higher FIR buffer settings, they'll see some heavy CPU use too. Similar with REVERBS. Compare algo's to IR reverbs. It is the nature of the beast.

Finding the best/smart compromise is key.
Old 28th December 2016
  #340
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Combining presets into single instance will be great but I would imagine they will still use a similar amount of cpu.
there is some serious cpu saving when instances are combined. It happens normally in our acqua plugins, for example equalizers. Basically more eq instances are combined in a single one. Also latency is reduced accordingly.
But I want to be straight on this point: this sort of optimization at the beginning will be on the developer side, not the user side. I mean: the developer will be able to merge equalizers, not the user. This feature will be released later to users (but later)
Old 28th December 2016
  #341
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

You should make a 140 style reverb acqua plug in if I'm gonna be stuck with them instead of nebula
Old 28th December 2016
  #342
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Did you guys activate the trial libraries with the free vesion of n4 before you bought n4 or you just went straight to the paid version? I'm running out of ideas on what could be messing this up. In the dashboard it still says the trials are 'active', maybe I need them to not be active in order to use the paid ones?
Old 29th December 2016
  #343
Here for the gear
Speaking of reverbs. Nebula 3 has some *great* sounding reverbs, but I can not for the life of me use them in real time. This despite having a very powerful computer. I've got a CUDA-enabled video card and thought that would be the answer, but the guide for activating CUDA appears to be outdated and I've read here that it's been all but abandoned by the AA devs. Has Nebula 4 made any progress with this? Even basic cards are CUDA-capabable these days. I even have a mid-range Dell from six years ago can do CUDA. Surely this would help a lot of people.

Also, kind of annoyed that N4 comes out only a few months after I bought N3 (August), but these things happen. Where is this €100 upgrade others mention? I got the 20% coupon but €167.30 (current promo) less 20% = €133.84.

Finally, do the new stock libraries come with 96k? I hope so!
Old 29th December 2016
  #344
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalb View Post
Did you guys activate the trial libraries with the free vesion of n4 before you bought n4 or you just went straight to the paid version? I'm running out of ideas on what could be messing this up. In the dashboard it still says the trials are 'active', maybe I need them to not be active in order to use the paid ones?
I understanding this must be frustrating ... but you're bouncing around every idea imaginable ... that is not a good way to proceed.

I don't even know what computer platform you're on ... but a first question:

1. do you have both the Trial and commercial versions of N4 [plugin] installed ?

1b. [PC] Did you install VST-3 or VST-2 [or both] ?

2. What libraries have you already installed. ?

lets start with that ...
Old 29th December 2016
  #345
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
No, maybe i was not clear. I am revising every project and exchanging N3 with N4 with same settings/presets and programs. So i can recall project but it will be with N4 plugin then not N3 anymore. I am at 40% of everything. Once when i "translate" every project session from N3 to N4 i will simply delete old N3 repository and a N3 plugin and from that point i will simply use N4 instead.

N3 goes in hall of fame.
Sorry, you were clear. I pulled the comment because I reread yours and realised my head and eyes were worse than I thought. Bummer of a day.
Old 29th December 2016
  #346
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I understanding this must be frustrating ... but you're bouncing around every idea imaginable ... that is not a good way to proceed.

I don't even know what computer platform you're on ... but a first question:

1. do you have both the Trial and commercial versions of N4 [plugin] installed ?

1b. [PC] Did you install VST-3 or VST-2 [or both] ?

2. What libraries have you already installed. ?

lets start with that ...
What you call "bouncing around every idea imaginable" I call systematically eliminating every possibility. I'm on windows 10 64x, everything I've tried has been in studio one 3 pro and reaper 5.3, I first installed the free version and the trials of the libraries-I now own the paid version but the trial of the libraries still says "active' in the dashboard (nebula free is deleted),it's vst 3(first it was vst2 which didn't work so I tried vst3), for the libraries I first installed all of them but right now I have one of the comps and one other library.

The library trials did show up in nebula 4 free.
Old 29th December 2016
  #347
Lives for gear
 
zaphod's Avatar
Please rely on support. If they cannot fix your issues we'll refund you. They are slow these days because we had in unexpected amount of requests - support, coupons, questions
Possibly the protection cannot work in your system and in such case there is nothing to do. But you'll never know that just trying random things. They know what to do and how to proceed, and they need a but if info about your system, otherwise we'll never know. They will ask to produce logs, for example. There is a point where you need support, you reached the point.
Old 29th December 2016
  #348
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalb View Post
What you call "bouncing around every idea imaginable" I call systematically eliminating every possibility. I'm on windows 10 64x, everything I've tried has been in studio one 3 pro and reaper 5.3, I first installed the free version and the trials of the libraries-I now own the paid version but the trial of the libraries still says "active' in the dashboard (nebula free is deleted),it's vst 3(first it was vst2 which didn't work so I tried vst3), for the libraries I first installed all of them but right now I have one of the comps and one other library.

The library trials did show up in nebula 4 free.
Did you download the files that came with Neb4. Use only say compressors. unzip them. There is an installation loader with it. Direct it to Neb4 repository root folder. Your Neb 4 must be authorised and in the root also.
If you have done these things then N4 should pick up the files and load them. The more you stray from this method, the more mixed up you can get.
Old 29th December 2016
  #349
Lives for gear
 

I won't even begin to explain how difficult it can be to help troubleshoot another's computer without being able to see it up close.

All we have to go on is what we are told. and NOT purposefully ... oft times what we are told, leaves out important info. So it can be confusing
for everyone involved.

First thing. Installing VST-2 of N4. Did not work. What did not work?

1. did you install N4 with 'Administrator' rights ? You know Win-10 has been sure to go overboard with internal protection.

2. Installed to the DEFAULT location? C:\Nebula4TempRepository

3. Then installed a factory LIBRARY ?

4. Load up N4 in DAW ... wait a bit [I DID find a bug if clicking FINDER to quickly after N4 GUI shows ... can crash.]

With a slight wait ... load a preset. It may go to INIT afterward, or if loaded, the Knobs/faders may Snap to ZERO.

Good ... that means N4 is NOT registered.

Look in C:\Nebula4TempRepository and there will be N4.SER, which gets sent to AA ... and emailed AUT will follow to put in the same C:\Nebula4TempRepository

[there may also be a N4.SER in your VST folder. this is for the ROSE compressor. put the same N4.AUT file there [we as beta-tester don't have ROSE as an ACQUA yet ... or maybe just me].

Now loading up the DAW, and N4 ... wait for it ... FINDER to presets ... anything ???

BTW ... we/I confirm that the VINTAGE SS eq is bad ... as in, don't use. N4 will blowup. it's been reported.

NOTE: I'm not much of a VST-3 user. From my understanding, if you install both VST 2 and 3 ... ONLY 3 will show up.

If that is the case ... it may be possible that the AUT file needs to be in the VST3 default folder [which I hear is a standard local, and cannot be changed].

This is just an overview off the top ... not a critique. Just trying to explain a roadmap. Since it seems you've had no success with this [except maybe the Trail - which I would had un-installed from the start]. Stay with default locations, except to be sure the VST-2 location is what you are using [I have to change mine everytime when installing ... yeah, a pain].

Anyway ... I hope some of this helps get to the solution.
Old 29th December 2016
  #350
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
From the viewpoint of someone who has never quite "gotten" the Nebula thing, I've never seen a rollout of a product so fraught with bugs, issues, complexity . . . it leads one to think "Why do these acolytes even bother? Is this software THAT much better than everything else that they are willing to wade through the apparent swamp of compatibility issues each upgrade presents?" This thread, to me anyway, stands as perfect evidence why one would never want to purchase Acustica products.
Old 29th December 2016
  #351
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Please rely on support. If they cannot fix your issues we'll refund you. They are slow these days because we had in unexpected amount of requests - support, coupons, questions
Possibly the protection cannot work in your system and in such case there is nothing to do. But you'll never know that just trying random things. They know what to do and how to proceed, and they need a but if info about your system, otherwise we'll never know. They will ask to produce logs, for example. There is a point where you need support, you reached the point.
Thanks, I made a ticket yesterday and they got back to me. I'm waiting on a response again.
Old 29th December 2016
  #352
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
Did you download the files that came with Neb4. Use only say compressors. unzip them. There is an installation loader with it. Direct it to Neb4 repository root folder. Your Neb 4 must be authorised and in the root also.
If you have done these things then N4 should pick up the files and load them. The more you stray from this method, the more mixed up you can get.
Downloaded as administrator, everything is loaded in the repository. I have compressor's and one other library in the program and vector folders (n2v and n2p).
Old 29th December 2016
  #353
Lives for gear
 

Did you mean INSTALLED N4 as administrator ?
Old 29th December 2016
  #354
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I won't even begin to explain how difficult it can be to help troubleshoot another's computer without being able to see it up close.

All we have to go on is what we are told. and NOT purposefully ... oft times what we are told, leaves out important info. So it can be confusing
for everyone involved.

First thing. Installing VST-2 of N4. Did not work. What did not work?

1. did you install N4 with 'Administrator' rights ? You know Win-10 has been sure to go overboard with internal protection.

2. Installed to the DEFAULT location? C:\Nebula4TempRepository

3. Then installed a factory LIBRARY ?

4. Load up N4 in DAW ... wait a bit [I DID find a bug if clicking FINDER to quickly after N4 GUI shows ... can crash.]

With a slight wait ... load a preset. It may go to INIT afterward, or if loaded, the Knobs/faders may Snap to ZERO.

Good ... that means N4 is NOT registered.

Look in C:\Nebula4TempRepository and there will be N4.SER, which gets sent to AA ... and emailed AUT will follow to put in the same C:\Nebula4TempRepository

[there may also be a N4.SER in your VST folder. this is for the ROSE compressor. put the same N4.AUT file there [we as beta-tester don't have ROSE as an ACQUA yet ... or maybe just me].

Now loading up the DAW, and N4 ... wait for it ... FINDER to presets ... anything ???

BTW ... we/I confirm that the VINTAGE SS eq is bad ... as in, don't use. N4 will blowup. it's been reported.

NOTE: I'm not much of a VST-3 user. From my understanding, if you install both VST 2 and 3 ... ONLY 3 will show up.

If that is the case ... it may be possible that the AUT file needs to be in the VST3 default folder [which I hear is a standard local, and cannot be changed].

This is just an overview off the top ... not a critique. Just trying to explain a roadmap. Since it seems you've had no success with this [except maybe the Trail - which I would had un-installed from the start]. Stay with default locations, except to be sure the VST-2 location is what you are using [I have to change mine everytime when installing ... yeah, a pain].

Anyway ... I hope some of this helps get to the solution.
What didn't work was seeing libraries/programs to load when clicking "finder". Both vst2 and vst3

1. Yes
2. Yes
3.Yes

The aut file is where the ser files are but nebula still says 'init' instead of a preset/library, or whatever.

The only thing I can think of is since I used the trial libraries with the free version first is that the trial libraries are messing up the paid libaries.
Old 29th December 2016
  #355
Lives for gear
 

I wonder ...

If the VST-3 is installed ... and will be the only one accessed ... if the location of the AUT file needs to change, or be added to where the VST-3 folder is ?

I don't know the answer to this, and is just wondering out loud ... but did you try putting N4.AUT in the VST-3 folder ??
Old 29th December 2016
  #356
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
The aut file is where the ser files are but nebula still says 'init' instead of a preset/library, or whatever.
to be clear ... when N4 first loads in ... it will always show INIT.

When you click on FINDER .... nothing there ???
Old 29th December 2016
  #357
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
I had the same feeling the first time I tried Nebula back in 2007 (I think... Maybe it was 2006, can't remember anymore)... How on earth is this supposed to work for me if I have to use one instance per band to EQ something? Well, soon I understood that I wasn't working with a simple plug-in and I had to go back to my analog workflow with it but in this case I didn't have to take pictures or write on recall sheets because even when it was a tedious step by step process I could simply go back and recall my settings way faster than I could before. Yes, it was a frustrating period of time for me but it was well worth it because that strange plugin called Nebula deserved all my time, just because it sounded way ahead than anything else by that time.

So my advice is: listen to your results with it, take your time and decide if it's worth it.
Old 29th December 2016
  #358
Gear Addict
 
Sgalb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
to be clear ... when N4 first loads in ... it will always show INIT.

When you click on FINDER .... nothing there ???
Correct.
Old 29th December 2016
  #359
Gear Nut
 

It works well for me on Mac OsX Yosemite. Had a few issues with the AUT file. I placed it additionally into MacHD-Library-Audio-Presets-AcusticaAudio-Nebula4 and finally I could use it.
When putting a second instance of N4 after another the second one crashes; maybe it´s a bug?
Sound- and presetwise it´s really great! The preamps, the eqs, the compressors, the reverbs - top notch!! Good work for the first release of N4!
Old 29th December 2016
  #360
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalb View Post
Correct.
OK ... go inside C:\Nebula4TempRepository

There are 3 folders PROGRAMS, VECTORS and TEMP.

if you already have installed libraries ... then go into the TEMP folder, select all files inside TEMP ... and DELETE them.

N4 will rebuild the listing inside TEMP when you load N4 again. Wait for N4 to totally load [there is a buglet that can cause N4 to crash if you click FINDER too soon ... I've reported this and been confirmed].

I'm getting ready to go into session ... but I'll try to look in on this.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump