Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Relab releases the VSR S24 Plug-In (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1129518-relab-releases-vsr-s24-plug.html)

davidgary73 12th January 2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansbjerg (Post 12363305)
Just to let you know, we are working on an iLok dongle free option to use our plugins. It will still require the iLok License Manager installed on the computer where you want to use our plugins though - but still, one less hassle for you to deal with :)

I no longer have an ilok (blinking led) and can't use it anymore.

I would really like to demo VSR S24 and eventually buying it.

So any idea when will this be ready?

bmanic 12th January 2017 03:24 PM

.. and if you go the iLok Manager way, please make sure you provide 2 licenses per purchase, like most companies do. That'll give you a one-up on TC and their VSS3 which apparently gives you only 1 license (extremely annoying for people who have a main studio computer and a laptop). :)

zvenx 12th January 2017 03:40 PM

+1 what bmaniac said, it is the only thing preventing me from buying your reverbs.

rsp

PistolP 12th January 2017 04:17 PM

Relab's VSR sounds fantastic. Just downloading the TC version. Theory aside, has anyone already compared the two. I am likely to get 1 of them. Will decide after some testing and also which one goes on sale first :P

PistolP 12th January 2017 04:21 PM

also when is the update for the menu happening? no pull down menu kinda sucks.. :)

F5D 12th January 2017 09:59 PM

Just bought the VSR S24. Was really disappointed in TC releasing the native versions after really long wait and discontinuing the Powercore platform. I lost hundreds in that platform. Bought the VSR S24 without even demoing. I have been using the Relab LX480 as my main reverb for several years now. Waiting for the license to arrive. Thank you very much for developing these plugins! kfhkh

Welkin 12th January 2017 11:13 PM

So S24 is VSS6 and P4N is VSS5? Why copy TC's limitations, why not create a single plugin with the option to run as either but also combine the best sides of both?

btfnk 13th January 2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmanic (Post 12371223)
.. and if you go the iLok Manager way, please make sure you provide 2 licenses per purchase, like most companies do. That'll give you a one-up on TC and their VSS3 which apparently gives you only 1 license (extremely annoying for people who have a main studio computer and a laptop). :)

This is very important!

Stergios T. 13th January 2017 05:44 AM

I love vsr s24...i find it great!
It has a different sound than any other plugin. (and i own almost..all reverb plugins+uad)
I think that its big strength is to glue elements.. :)

parografik 13th January 2017 04:21 PM

Is this similar to the recent TC Electronics release of the VSS3 plugin?
VSS3 Native | TC Electronic

Jantex 13th January 2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parografik (Post 12373816)
Is this similar to the recent TC Electronics release of the VSS3 plugin?
VSS3 Native | TC Electronic

It is much better actually.

parografik 13th January 2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12373833)
It is much better actually.

I would hope so for the price, but that means nothing more than I'd like.

So this unit is modelling a different TC piece of gear? (Edit- I went over posts and got this answer).

Let me ask how you think it's better, then. Tweakability seems to be their big sales point, but is the sound better out of the box, too? Anything else?

Rico Sergeant 13th January 2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12373833)
It is much better actually.

In your opinion, All this better nonsense is silly, they are different reverbs, I like them both for different reasons.

Jantex 13th January 2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 12374283)
In your opinion, All this better nonsense is silly, they are different reverbs, I like them both for different reasons.

When comparing apples to oranges it would really be a nonsense. But in this case we are comparing two TC algos, one very old TC algo (VSS3) with the much more advanced and modern algo that was developed with the same ideas (VSS6), but they had available stronger processing power and more memory, so they could implement it in a much more detail (more advanced early reflections, true stereo...).

It would be nonsense when one wanted to compare Lexicon algo to the TC algo, but in this caseIt it is like saying 2016 BMW 730i is just different than 1990 BMW 730i. No, it is not just different, it is improved in every way.

Whether you like to drive an older car, it is your personal preference. But objectively it is better in every possible way.

Rico Sergeant 13th January 2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12374296)
When comparing apples to oranges it would really be a nonsense. But in this case we are comparing two TC algos, one very old TC algo (VSS3) with the much more advanced and modern algo that was developed with the same ideas (VSS6), but they had available stronger processing power and more memory, so they could implement it in a much more detail (more advanced early reflections, true stereo...).

It would be nonsense when one wanted to compare Lexicon algo to the TC algo, but in this caseIt it is like saying 2016 BMW 730i is just different than 1990 BMW 730i. No, it is not just different, it is improved in every way.

Rubbish, but hey you carry on.

Jantex 13th January 2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 12374299)
Rubbish, but hey you carry on.

Nope, not rubbish at all. There is a reason why you find it only in a top TC HW boxes, while VSS3 is available in lesser. You see VSS3 -> VSS6...last digit tells you it is a newer version of the same basic thing :)

Rico Sergeant 13th January 2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12374312)
Nope, not rubbish at all. There is a reason why you find it only in a top TC HW boxes, while VSS3 is available in lesser. You see VSS3 -> VSS6...last digit tells you it is a newer version of the same basic thing :)

Yes because we all know as music engineers that new is always better, you can see that everywhere, anyway all I am saying is that it is only in your opinion that it is "BETTER" the truth is it's just different reverbs and you prefer one over the other, anyway if you want to argue this then you are obviously just looking for an argument and I don't have the time.

Jantex 13th January 2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 12374344)
Yes because we all know as music engineers that new is always better, you can see that everywhere, anyway all I am saying is that it is only in your opinion that it is "BETTER" the truth is it's just different reverbs and you prefer one over the other, anyway if you want to argue this then you are obviously just looking for an argument and I don't have the time.

I don't want to argue. And I respect it if you say you prefer any of them over the other. But objectivelly it is more advanced and better (and "in my opinion" this improvement is obvious from their sound as well).

parografik 13th January 2017 08:37 PM

I'm interested on Jantex's take on it specifically for the reason that I had an old TC reverb plug-in (pre powercore, and I thought it was very clean and transparent). I was wondering if all that extra "convolution" (I think I'm using this term only half sarcastically) actually added some character that he could describe. So Jantex's answer makes some sense in regards to processor speed, etc. Newer in the case of sampling has certainly gotten better, so perhaps in this type of thing, added depth delivers a qualitative difference also.

I don't have experience with the hardware (that I know of), so for me the differences would be in the plug-ins, and I certainly have reverbs modeled on the same piece of equipment that I have clear preferences for. One example that comes to mind is the Native instruments lexicon and the UAD version. I like the UAD much better as far as depth and overall quality.

parografik 13th January 2017 08:41 PM

So the question of "How." I'm wondering what you heard that you felt was better.

ghostwriter 13th January 2017 08:48 PM

So, for the record, a person's post is their opinion and not a definitive point of fact.

Didn't we all know that already? IMO anyway.

Bring in the cowbell police. :cop::cowbell:

Jantex 13th January 2017 08:49 PM

Everyone has a chance to demo both. I believe this is the best way to evaluate what you prefer and what are you going to spend your money on. :)

Rico Sergeant 13th January 2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12374366)
I don't want to argue. And I respect it if you say you prefer any of them over the other. But objectivelly it is more advanced and better (and "in my opinion" this improvement is obvious from their sound as well).

I don't prefer one over the other, I like them both depending what effect I'm after, they are both undoubtedly different, but I like the VSS3 for somethings and the VSR S24 for others, and then I use Bricasti M7 reverb or many of the other reverbs I have when they sound right, I am really happy that Relab have released the VSR S24, I love it, I really love it, but I am also really happy to have the VSS3 back as well, because the VSR S24 won't give me that particular sound that I like and have missed, So my point is simple, the VSR S24 and the VSS3 are different reverbs and sound different, both have something to offer, I have all these reverbs and hardware like Bricasti M7's and I will still use the VSS3 because it is the Best at what it does, just like the VSR S24 is best at what IT does, get it.

parografik 13th January 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantex (Post 12374412)
Everyone has a chance to demo both. I believe this is the best way to evaluate what you prefer and what are you going to spend your money on. :)

Didn't realize you could demo this one.

folkfreak 13th January 2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 12374299)
Rubbish, but hey you carry on.

No, he is right
What I used to do with my vss3 I can get out of the VSR S24, but I cant do things with the VSR S24 that I can't do with the VSS3

Rico Sergeant 13th January 2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkfreak (Post 12374508)
No, he is right
What I used to do with my vss3 I can get out of the VSR S24, but I cant do things with the VSR S24 that I can't do with the VSS3

No he is wrong so are You, but it doesn't really matter.

comfortablynick 13th January 2017 11:25 PM

Everybody knows the Lexicon 480 is much better than the 224...they had so much more processing power and memory for the 480.

robert82 14th January 2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynick (Post 12374774)
Everybody knows the Lexicon 480 is much better than the 224...they had so much more processing power and memory for the 480.

No! You're wrong! And so are You!

:facepalm: :lol:

js230 14th January 2017 12:30 AM

I compared them both on drums and vocals.

VSS3 sounds good, but this reverb does a better job in terms of the width and depth of the stage and making it sound like a source (especially stereo) and the simulated early reflections are part of the same acoustic space. No contest, in my opinion. Nor do the 480 ambience algorithms compete in how you can tailor the ER.

Doesn't mean the other reverb doesn't have its own character and uses, particularly in those situations where you want to hear the reverb as a distinct effect, like on snares and vocals.

folkfreak 14th January 2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant (Post 12374582)
No he is wrong so are You, but it doesn't really matter.

If it doesn't matter, why is it so important foro you to answer and write you opinion once more ?