The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Professional reigns supreme with new MPC X Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
no digital I/O what-so-ever? wow. IMO this takes a lot of professionalism away from the unit.
Why on earth do you want an MPC if you want digital I/O? Just stay ITB. It does perfect digital no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Please, you are way off the mark, MPC live, MPC X, then a year or so down the road MPC XXL "Wow, look at us, we have VST in our new mega expensive standalone now" it has nothing to do with instability, it has everything to do with drip feed marketing.
Good luck to them, i have no idea why so many people are screaming for VST support anyway, just put a computer next to it.
Again, I agree. Why does anyone want VSTs on their MPC??? It's an MPC. You can get a much cheaper computer that will do VSTs much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
Why do people want more audio tracks? This isn't a multitrack recorder. If you want a multitrack recorder, buy one.
I personally think this is getting silly, it's an MPC. Do people not know what an MPC is? I personally don't understand why everybody is asking for all these 'features'.

Well, I personally said I'd actually buy one if they made a new totally stand alone unit with 4 MIDI outs - and I'm not going back on my word. AS SOON AS there have been MIDI tests run on the unit, and I'm satisfied they actually put a large focus on getting MIDI timing perfect, rather than 'vsts' and 'audio tracks'

It seems like this could be the perfect sequencer for my Emax and ASR10 and S950, and maybe even replace my 2kXL (if they got it right)
Old 30th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Why on earth do you want an MPC if you want digital I/O? Just stay ITB. It does perfect digital no problem.
I agree with the rest of your post but not this. Digital connectivity is a good way to avoid AD/DA conversion stages. I run most of my gear into my 2500 via SPDIF, and from there, I dump it all into Ableton digitally (mostly via file transfer, but sometimes via SPDIF).
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
I agree with the rest of your post but not this. Digital connectivity is a good way to avoid AD/DA conversion stages. I run most of my gear into my 2500 via SPDIF, and from there, I dump it all into Ableton digitally (mostly via file transfer, but sometimes via SPDIF).
... I realize this isn't an S950, but, saying you'd want to avoid the AD/DA conversion stages of an S950 (or any vintage pieces for that matter) would be defeating the entire purpose of owning one. If you really want clean, there's ITB that will do that better than anything else. Considering the MPC X conversion stage will surely be far far cleaner than any of the revered classics, I don't see it as being any kind of 'issue'. And, these days, the only thing I really use the MPC itself for is chopping from vinyl (which digital won't be much help with) to put into dirtier units with far more limited sample time and chopping functionality. Therefore I have zero use for digital.

I will again stress however, how much I hope they didn't throw in MIDI as an afterthought, and the timing doesn't depend on how many 'VSTs' you've thrown in. It's an MPC - MIDI should be its primary focus. If its timing is at LEAST as tight as the 2kXL (I'm sure we aren't getting 3K perfection here) Akai can take my money.
Old 30th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I realize this isn't an S950, but, saying you'd want to avoid the AD/DA conversion stages of an S950 (or any vintage pieces for that matter) would be defeating the entire purpose of owning one.
I don't totally disagree with that, but this conversation was not about vintage gear. (converters and analog stages only account for part of the sound character of an S950; granted its a big part, but its not the whole story)

Quote:
If you really want clean, there's ITB that will do that better than anything else.
That's beside the point too.

Quote:
Considering the MPC X conversion stage will surely be far far cleaner than any of the revered classics, I don't see it as being any kind of 'issue'.
Cleanliness is not the point. Its control over degradation. Every digital-to-analog-and-back-to-digital conversion is a degradation (whether its pleasing to the ear or not). I personally like to be the one to determine whether I want that degradation. So I like gear with digital I/O, because it puts that control into my hands.
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

So, 30 mins ago I sold an old synth (Z1, thanks Gumtree!) to a local guy. As we chat about stuff and he roadtests the synth, he mentions he works with a guy called Dan, and does hardware development, and that he used to have an MV-8800 like the one sitting on my desk. A few minutes later, he pops out to the car and comes back with... an MPC X. He demos it for a few minutes...

So much want!

The mini displays giving dynamic text labels for the 16 rotaries makes it so easy to see what's going on and you see the parameter values for each one as a bar. I'm still learning the MV-8800 and now I'm wondering whether I should just sell it and get this - the workflow looks super, super streamlined. 8 outs, 4x MIDI out, CV outs, too!

Quiet as a mouse, very light, but still feeling solid.

I'm not familiar with MPC-land, so can't give you guys any significant insight into the important stuff, but it is very cool.

Decisions...
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are MANY reasons for digital I/O and NONE of them have to do with the color of the sound or something being "perfect digital" or not. Wow. This is honestly a pretty ridiculous and un-knowledgeable statement.
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cleanliness is not the point. Its control over degradation. Every digital-to-analog-and-back-to-digital conversion is a degradation (whether its pleasing to the ear or not). I personally like to be the one to determine whether I want that degradation. So I like gear with digital I/O, because it puts that control into my hands.
Exactly. If you had a completed work on the MPC and then went to a studio to track it, the preferred method would be SPDIF. If not, you could be looking at 2 or 3 more AD/DA stages which would not be beneficial to the material.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. If you had a completed work on the MPC and then went to a studio to track it, the preferred method would be SPDIF. If not, you could be looking at 2 or 3 more AD/DA stages which would not be beneficial to the material.
Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Because I thought the MPC Live and X both let you transfer the files via SD card (or hook it up via USB, or even wifi). No conversions required.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

I just made my own Akai MPC XXX.

I synced my MPC 4000 to an Akai DPS 24--

The DPS24 brings 24 audio tracks of 24-bit .wav
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? Because I thought the MPC Live and X both let you transfer the files via SD card (or hook it up via USB, or even wifi). No conversions required.
For samples most definitely. All previous units allowed this. If you really want the samples 'perfect' in the unit, just transfer them via USB or copy them to an SD card.

For finished tracks, it's a more interesting question. I don't see any reason the unit couldn't bounce the entire track to your SD and then transfer it out as a wav many many times faster than realtime, if that's what you're after.

Quote:
There are MANY reasons for digital I/O and NONE of them have to do with the color of the sound or something being "perfect digital" or not. Wow. This is honestly a pretty ridiculous and un-knowledgeable statement.
I don't think it's ridiculous or un-knowledgeable to argue that you have many other arguably better options to transfer digital audio in and out of this computer (which is what it is), and that 'digital I/O' isn't really a feature that can't be done better in other ways, or that 99% of the time I use my MPC with the 8 outs to my console. If I didn't want the analog outs (plus MIDI out for more analog units), I would have just stayed ITB.

Which is why I'm excited they actually made (or tried to make) another REAL MPC.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, 30 mins ago I sold an old synth (Z1, thanks Gumtree!) to a local guy. As we chat about stuff and he roadtests the synth, he mentions he works with a guy called Dan, and does hardware development, and that he used to have an MV-8800 like the one sitting on my desk. A few minutes later, he pops out to the car and comes back with... an MPC X. He demos it for a few minutes...

So much want!

The mini displays giving dynamic text labels for the 16 rotaries makes it so easy to see what's going on and you see the parameter values for each one as a bar. I'm still learning the MV-8800 and now I'm wondering whether I should just sell it and get this - the workflow looks super, super streamlined. 8 outs, 4x MIDI out, CV outs, too!

Quiet as a mouse, very light, but still feeling solid.

I'm not familiar with MPC-land, so can't give you guys any significant insight into the important stuff, but it is very cool.

Decisions...
Interesting! Thing is, the MPC being a digital instrument profits from all the technological progress that were made in this regard in the last years. That in itself makes those new units something quite different compared to the "super" workstations and grooveboxes of the 2000-2009 era, I reckon, MV and MPC 4000 look like battleships right now. Still very workable of course, but one can't argue the benefit in comfort with these new releases if they deliver what's promised.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think it's ridiculous or un-knowledgeable to argue that you have many other arguably better options to transfer digital audio in and out of this computer (which is what it is), and that 'digital I/O' isn't really a feature that can't be done better in other ways, or that 99% of the time I use my MPC with the 8 outs to my console. If I didn't want the analog outs (plus MIDI out for more analog units), I would have just stayed ITB.
So you only have an MPC so you can introduce an extra AD/DA stage for the character (on most MPCs there is none - just degradation) and besides that you would just get a computer? lol. Uh, how about the workflow, regardless of how you track it? Also, wit SPDIF in you can sample digital synths and CD players, etc.

Last edited by mike vee; 31st January 2017 at 05:23 PM..
Old 31st January 2017
roc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Do either of the new MPC's have an arpeggiator ?
Anybody ?
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
They released the 5000.
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Interesting! Thing is, the MPC being a digital instrument profits from all the technological progress that were made in this regard in the last years. That in itself makes those new units something quite different compared to the "super" workstations and grooveboxes of the 2000-2009 era, I reckon, MV and MPC 4000 look like battleships right now. Still very workable of course, but one can't argue the benefit in comfort with these new releases if they deliver what's promised.
Everything you havd mentioned is digital ?
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you only have an MPC so you can introduce an extra AD/DA stage for the character (on most MPCs there is none - just degradation) and besides that you would just get a computer? lol. Uh, how about the workflow, regardless of how you track it? Also, wit SPDIF in you can sample digital synths and CD players, etc.
No, I have an MPC primarily to sequence my racks of vintage synths/samplers, and to have a drum/sampler machine which has another 8 outputs I can run to my console through various hardware EQ/compressors and send to various hardware effects units. I can completely finish a track before even turning on my PC.

If my primary concern was 'the MPC workflow' and I didn't care about working in analog, and didn't have a console and massive racks of analog gear, I would have just got an MPC studio or the MPC ren or a Maschine. They're perfectly capable of giving an 'MPC workflow' while allowing you to keep everything in digital.

Product design and features are driven by requirements. This is why the target audience and how they will use the product is very important to identify before trying to design it. Adding a bunch of unnecessary requirements to a product just takes away from the design and features of other elements. For example, I will be honestly surprised if they put nearly as much effort into making sure MIDI is tight as trying to implement 'flashy VST type bling' to sell the kids. I actually pulled the effects card from my 2K because they sell for $275 USD or something ridiculous. Why do I want some cheesy reverb in my MPC when I have a rack of Lexicon?
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I have an MPC primarily to sequence my racks of vintage synths/samplers, and to have a drum/sampler machine which has another 8 outputs I can run to my console through various hardware EQ/compressors and send to various hardware effects units. I can completely finish a track before even turning on my PC.

If my primary concern was 'the MPC workflow' and I didn't care about working in analog, and didn't have a console and massive racks of analog gear, I would have just got an MPC studio or the MPC ren or a Maschine. They're perfectly capable of giving an 'MPC workflow' while allowing you to keep everything in digital.

Product design and features are driven by requirements. This is why the target audience and how they will use the product is very important to identify before trying to design it. Adding a bunch of unnecessary requirements to a product just takes away from the design and features of other elements. For example, I will be honestly surprised if they put nearly as much effort into making sure MIDI is tight as trying to implement 'flashy VST type bling' to sell the kids. I actually pulled the effects card from my 2K because they sell for $275 USD or something ridiculous. Why do I want some cheesy reverb in my MPC when I have a rack of Lexicon?
So because you want to move backward. Akai and its user base should as well?
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Akai has outdone themselves with the MPC Studio and I am completely satisfied. The only thing at this point that would make me jump for a purchase is if the name Roger Linn was on the device.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
Akai has outdone themselves with the MPC Studio and I am completely satisfied. The only thing at this point that would make me jump for a purchase is if the name Roger Linn was on the device.
Don't hold your breath. Seems there's a bit of ' aggro' between RL and the dude who's bought the Akai brand.
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't hold your breath. Seems there's a bit of ' aggro' between RL and the dude who's bought the Akai brand.
Oh wow, that's disappointing I have honestly been expecting to see some with that classic signature for a long time. Welp it always seems like some of the best collaborationselection with companies or groups split up. What a pity
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
I was wondering about the Studio, with the new 2.0 software about to drop, couldn't you basically do the same thing with the Studio using 2.0 if you didn't need standalone? With time stretch and scene launching, where would the differences be?
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I was wondering about the Studio, with the new 2.0 software about to drop, couldn't you basically do the same thing with the Studio using 2.0 if you didn't need standalone? With time stretch and scene launching, where would the differences be?
Yes you can
Old 2nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
So because you want to move backward. Akai and its user base should as well?
Nope, not saying that at all. I don't mind them adding effects and other crap, as long as their primary focus was on making an MPC (from when it was a MIDI Production Center), and the rest was secondary.

I'm saying I hope they finally have a product that will convince the people still using 2Ks and 3Ks to switch, because I would love something modernized that meets my requirements. If they've nailed MIDI, it pretty much does. I hope they've learnt from the 5K.
Old 7th February 2017
Gear Addict

Dont really care for the touchscreen. Cant wait to see the specs,im pretty excited for this. I was thinking of buying a 2500 a while back but ended up with a 500 for more portability. But this may possibly be a game changer in an otb production solution for me. Looks great!
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuyLocs602 View Post
Cant wait to see the specs
MPC X : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC
Old 7th February 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

Roger Linn: Numark -Jack's a Bastard (2013)
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
USB is NOT professional digital I/O
Because noone ever used an USB interface to make money with, right?
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Because noone ever used an USB interface to make money with, right?
that's irrelevant to my comment
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Professional" surely means to earn a living? I think that many thousands of musicians/producers are making a living with USB gear.

Moreover, if it sounds good and the workflow is inspiring, any studio types that got 'sniffy' about the X's lack of high-end digital IO would be missing out. That'd be like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old 19th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No it is not. In any case you give no argument whatsoever for why your position is valid.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search