The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Professional reigns supreme with new MPC X Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yes, this is nonsense, it runs Linux, yes it is optimised, but compared to the brute force power an X64 processor is able to throw at what you can do on a desktop, even after contending with your myriad of sub systems, you probably just made the most ridiculous comparison possible !!
I just reread what you said, missed the keyword "infinite" so my apologies.

I do think that writing for a closed system vs a general purpose stack, with infinite hardware and legacy options to consider are two worlds apart.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

i didn't read all 6 pages so I don't know if this had been discussed but I gotta say: I tried to check this thing out at NAMM Saturday and was basically told to scram. They had the door guarded by venue staff and I was told you could not get into the Akai room without an appointment. I calmly told them that I was a legitimate customer that has used Akai products since the 90s and they weren't budging. I took a few steps back to inhale what was happening and watched person after person after person get turned away. No other room I saw was like this. From what I could see through the door there was hardly anyone inside and I sure as **** didn't hear any music coming out of the room. Wow! If you were wondering how out of touch Akai/Numark really is I think this is a great indicator. I bought a 2000XL the day it was released. Have used it ever since. I will definitely be sticking with it after this. I watched the demo video on it and in my opinion you would be much better off getting yourself some nice supporting outboard than "upgrading" to this if you are still using the old classic standalones.
Old 23rd January 2017
Here for the gear

I was also turned away. They told me that they were only making reservations for the press until Sunday, when they might let the public in. Then I saw a press person turned away, because the reservations for the weekend were filled. Assuming they have more than one unit available this is done typically because the software isn't quite done and they want to control the presentation without prying eyes, fingers, and questions. Any weakness in the software could be taken as weakness in the final product. So I feel they are trying to build up buzz about the instrument (and have been successful based on what I have seen). Yes, I feel the general public was short changed by Akai at this show. However, I do wish the Akai team the best of luck with these products. We will just have to give them more time to see what the final product is really capable of.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox View Post
I was also turned away. They told me that they were only making reservations for the press until Sunday, when they might let the public in. Then I saw a press person turned away, because the reservations for the weekend were filled. Assuming they have more than one unit available this is done typically because the software isn't quite done and they want to control the presentation without prying eyes, fingers, and questions. Any weakness in the software could be taken as weakness in the final product. So I feel they are trying to build up buzz about the instrument (and have been successful based on what I have seen). Yes, I feel the general public was short changed by Akai at this show. However, I do wish the Akai team the best of luck with these products. We will just have to give them more time to see what the final product is really capable of.
That's somewhat unconscionable, considering they hyped the sh*t out of it and many people have already pre-ordered it.

I had seriously considered pre-ordering, but thank goodness...dodged a bullet there.

This is no way to release a product, no way to restore/instill confidence in a brand. All the kinks, at least most of them so people can get a first hand look, at a major trade show no less, should have been ironed out before letting people actually pay for the thing. That ain't right...
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear
They obviously did that because its not finished yet. They still need the hype and by only allowing a few people in who get the same presentation as the guy before and the next guy.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Thats hilarious !!
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

I think Akai has been rather open with it that they are still developing the Live and X. Several times the presenter says that the development team in the UK are working on it and he wasn't sure what will be included at release.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Maniac

Winter Namm 2016, they claimed the software for 2.0 would be released mid year, that never happened obviously. So we that don't give a rats ass about new hardware, have been forced to wait on them to build new hardware, and still they have no real date for 2.0. Great job Akai.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

I wrote a huge rant about my situation trying to view the Akai room, despite having an apointment, I too was turned away. Wonder if I should post it.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I wrote a huge rant about my situation trying to view the Akai room, despite having an apointment, I too was turned away. Wonder if I should post it.
You should post it. This story is getting really interesting now.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I heard April 1st for release hahaha but now I bet we will not see this until June.

This is no longer a game changer but a deal breaker.

Cheers
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I once dated a woman who invented toys for a living. Just like music has these trade shows, toys have them too. So she attends this trade show in NYC, and the Lego "booth" is actually a giant Lego castle, roped off and "guarded" by life-size Lego castle guards. Entrance into the castle is by appointment only, and apparently Lego does this every year. So, this certainly isn't unprecedented trade show behavior.

The fact that they did have it by appointment only so the masses couldn't get in there and get their hands on the Live and X, and every demo video seemed to for the most part follow a specific script leads me to believe there's still a good bit of work to do - likely on the software side. I"m not sure where the original dates of right after NAMM release for the Live came from - Akai, rumors or the fact that stores began accepting pre-orders with obviously incorrect dates in order to gain pre-sales orders, and I'm not sure how much control Akai has on any of that. But I for one understand if there's still a good amount of instabilities, why Akai wouldn't open it up to the public. I'd much rather not hear all the reports of the timing sucks, this didn't work, this crashed it, etc. Akai wouldn't be doing anything to solidify their reputation by allowing early access to something that still has some kinks to be worked out.

Let's just hope they get this thing working the way we all want it prior to release.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Akai have no reputation anymore, they are starting from scratch with hardware, this is not an Akai that has ever released anything of note, all rumours of these things were leaked by Akai specifically to create hype that right now they are unable to live up to, last years NAMM they made announcements they could not fulfil because the developers left to make IOS apps, this year they are right on the edge, they have to release these things soon or they not only look silly to consumers but also to retailers, so expect these things to be released with bugs out the ying yang.
Old 24th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

They released the 5000.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Blah.. I was turned away, we have an 8 room facility in LA we share with a certain engineer that EVERYONE on gs look up to and love. We could put both of these in each room (minus the aforementioned engineer's ofcourse).
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
They released the 5000.
Thank you for proving my point.
Old 25th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point.
Well, shaky history is not the same as no history. If that was your point, then forgive me, I misread.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, shaky history is not the same as no history. If that was your point, then forgive me, I misread.
I said they had released nothing of note, not had no history ??
Old 25th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said they had released nothing of note, not had no history ??
Yeah that's kinda the way I interpreted your statement, that's why I apologized. But anyway, if the 5000 is 'nothing of note', then you and I navigate in different circles, my friend!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

We do onviously, 5000 was a product that nobody wanted, why do you think it took them so long to release a new standalone, ask Akai, the 5000 was NOT a succesful product.
Old 25th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Well it was a big deal for the segment of the music making scene that I'm familiar with. Yuuuge.

Regardless, market success and notability are not mutually exclusive. I'd hazard a guess the 5000 outsold quite a few products that you would consider notable... AFAICT, Akai has never released an MPC that wasn't noted in a major way, that includes old Akai, middle-aged Akai, and new Akai.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well it was a big deal for the segment of the music making scene that I'm familiar with. Yuuuge.

Regardless, market success and notability are not mutually exclusive. I'd hazard a guess the 5000 outsold quite a few products that you would consider notable... AFAICT, Akai has never released an MPC that wasn't noted in a major way, that includes old Akai, middle-aged Akai, and new Akai.
I hear you, the 5000 really was a debacle.. or the 3500 is actually what I should call it as it was never meant to be the 4k's successor
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

They need to get the Software right and I think most people will be pleased. Even with whatever limitations people think it has, if there is a solid workflow, great sound, and no headaches or project crashes, it'll be a winner.

For me, I could care less about pluggins, all I need is a good master glue compressor and I'm rolling, everything else is outboard and effects pedals... Real gear. Haha!

But really, the two front inputs, back 2 inputs, and 6 outs is pretty sweet for a stand alone. 8 stereo tracks? I thought about, just bounce what you got down and start with 6 more stereo overdubs. Old school. No problem really.

I'm looking at the X first and foremost as a sampler, something I NEED, with the ability to record and timestretch and launch 16 stereo loops from the pads. Let me create an arrangement with that and have 8 stereo tracks for overdubs and its golden, beautiful even. 6 outputs to run to my mixer using analog effects and back in? Brilliant. I'm even considering buying a new computer to run the software and have a nice, bigger reference screen. For what u do, if the X does what it claims, it would be the centerpiece and heart and soul of my craft.

Get this right Akai.... Make it so.
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just make it Right!

They need to get the Software right and I think most people will be pleased. Even with whatever limitations people think it has, if there is a solid workflow, great sound, and no headaches or project crashes, it'll be a winner.

For me, I could care less about pluggins, all I need is a good master glue compressor and I'm rolling, everything else is outboard and effects pedals... Real gear. Lol

But really, the two front inputs, back 2 inputs, and 6 outs is pretty sweet for a stand alone. 8 stereo tracks? I thought about it, just bounce what you got down and start with 6 more stereo overdubs. Old school. No problem really.

I'm looking at the X first and foremost as a sampler, something I NEED, with the ability to record and timestretch and launch 16 stereo loops from the pads. Let me create an arrangement with that and have 8 stereo tracks for overdubs and its golden, beautiful even. 6 outputs to run to my mixer using analog effects and back in? Brilliant. I'm even considering buying a new computer to run the software and have a nice, bigger reference screen. For what I do, if the X does what it claims, it would be the centerpiece and accomplice to my craft.

Get this right Akai.... Make it so.
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

Can anyone please answer the following based on what they' e seen or know from the live the x and what was told about mpc 2.0. When I connect my master keyboard, can I use the Live as a soundsource? (Lets say I want a decent piano sound and play it through my keys instead of pads.) If yes; given that it for sure doesnt do VSTs, how good will this sound? Would it do multilayered/multisampled decend sounds? Will it be multitimbral? And can I then (just like ableton) use clips to play back midi sequencen with those sounds? Sorry, I never owned any Akai gear...
Old 29th January 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Have a look at the Ren/Studio/touch and MPC SW v1. Should answer all your questions.
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

@mp3 thanks, much appreciated, but I'm genuinly scouting the net for a few days now and didnt get the answer I was looking for. (Seen the faq on the mpc, tried looking up the sound libs, those turned out to be vsts... and for the touch, its not clear to me which things are vst versus something else) Would you mind giving the high level summary please? I hope it is nothing short of "yes" on all aspects tbh...
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

I’m disappointed only if MCP X decides to choose indolent step to backward compatibility with S1000/3000 library. Naturally, that would also spell Emu. MPC X’s side of specs is rather shy of anything related to legacy libs. Is this definitive or only in works?
Old 30th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstof View Post
@mp3 thanks, much appreciated, but I'm genuinly scouting the net for a few days now and didnt get the answer I was looking for. (Seen the faq on the mpc, tried looking up the sound libs, those turned out to be vsts... and for the touch, its not clear to me which things are vst versus something else) Would you mind giving the high level summary please? I hope it is nothing short of "yes" on all aspects tbh...
It has 10gb of onboard content, made by 3rd party sound designers;

It will probably have some multiinstrument type sounds, but I'm sure they won't be the quality of dedicated vsti like Ivory or Keyscape etc etc....

If you watch the standalone challenge videos they are playing a keyboard part on a midi keyboard connected to the x and the touch. It's "standalone" which would mean the keyboard patch is included in the sound library.
Old 30th January 2017
roc
Lives for gear

Do either of the new MPC's have an arpeggiator ?

Last edited by roc; 31st January 2017 at 05:24 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search