The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Professional reigns supreme with new MPC X Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I don't doubt that, but when Bernie Madoff tell you to chill...well, that reflexively moves you to taken aback mode, you know what I mean?

Not to mention the ESL misspellings, and the smug drug reference...too bad there's not an internet kick 'em in the booty app, like Smell-O-Vision, but instead there's like a big ass Timberland boot with a reinforced toe area at the ready to give a swift kick at the other end, once the trigger is sent...
Bravo... you get two points, one for facial recognition and the second for being an English major...still I say cut back on the hard drugs and relax. Happy new year.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

So it begins an mpc Ren in my local market for $300
Old 17th January 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
Oooh, this is gonna have some killer bugs.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Uk ebay is loaded with MPC touch that nobody is bidding on, those things are doorstops now
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalimo View Post
Still though, Ren + an FW mixing desk (Onyx, Midas, A&H, etc) is still greater than an MPC X w 8 analog outs.

The only reason to upgrade to X is if the underlying engine is as rock solid as a 3k or 4k and the touch screen is faster than working with the computer... then, yes, take my Ren for $300
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Uk ebay is loaded with MPC touch that nobody is bidding on, those things are doorstops now
there not doorstops thats a little over the top ..theres nothing wrong with the touch it will run mpc 2.0 it will do everything that the others can do but i do think £499 compared to the specs of the new range is a little high.

i do think akai need to restructure the pricings and they will need to agressavilly discount the touch and other controllers too seel them to new buyers or they will have a lot of stock gathering dust in there warehouses.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
there not doorstops thats a little over the top ..theres nothing wrong with the touch it will run mpc 2.0 it will do everything that the others can do but i do think £499 compared to the specs of the new range is a little high.

i do think akai need to restructure the pricings and they will need to agressavilly discount the touch and other controllers too seel them to new buyers or they will have a lot of stock gathering dust in there warehouses.
You completely misunderstood me "Those things are doorsteps NOW" as in right now, the Touch owners are trying to panic sell, the point was not that the Touch is out of date or useful, it was that the owners of them are trying to shift them NOW.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You completely misunderstood me "Those things are doorsteps NOW" as in right now, the Touch owners are trying to panic sell, the point was not that the Touch is out of date or useful, it was that the owners of them are trying to shift them NOW.
that happens anytime anything new comes on the scene .
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
that happens anytime anything new comes on the scene .
Erm OK, I didn't say it doesn't happen, i was pointing out that it was happening right now.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

I got rid of my Ren about 6 months ago for 400 aud to a pawnshop.

Strapped for cash at the time but I kind new something else bigger and better was on its way.

Sure I lost money which is not a good thing but it's better to get 50 percent of something than a 100 percent of nothing.

Cheers
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

8 stereo tracks maximum. It's 2017, this is just sad.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post

In the current version, this might be changed in the future.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
That's only for full length tracks.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
That's only for full length tracks.
No it is for linear audio tracks, they do not have to be full length, it can be a ton of snippets of audio, why are people struggling with what an audio track is ?
Old 18th January 2017
8 stereo audio tracks is amazing. MPCs have never been about audio tracks.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No it is for linear audio tracks, they do not have to be full length, it can be a ton of snippets of audio, why are people struggling with what an audio track is ?
So if you had a project with 8 drum sounds each on their own track/channel/lane, that would be your lot??
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
So if you had a project with 8 drum sounds each on their own track/channel/lane, that would be your lot??
No, there are 127 tracks. On an MPC, you could conceivably have 1000 drum "sounds" (samples) on one track. Tracks can be assigned to MIDI out, CV out, audio tracks, or internal samples.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, the "eight audio tracks" refers to eight stereo linear audio tracks that run ON TOP OF the zillions of one shot samples making up the programmed bed of your music.

Think of the eight tracks as a way to lay in vocals, live guitar, etc. - just like laying eight audio tracks from a DAW on top of your programmed stuff. Except these eight tracks can automatically follow the tempo of the MPC programmed stuff, and be re-pitched and time-stretched by wild amounts, like you can do in Ableton Live. Some folks will use the eight stereo tracks to play back whole stems of songs, which will play back while programmed stuff from the internal sequencer / sampler plays alongside.

The 127 tracks in the sequencer side of the MPC is separate to the eight audio tracks, and how many you need to use depends on how you like to work and how many external synths you want to use. Some folks will program a whole beat, using all of the drum pads / internal samples all on one track - some like to use a separate track for each drum or group of sounds, to make it easier to erase, copy, paste, etc. Each external synth (MIDI or CV+Gate) probably needs one of the 127 tracks to itself, for ease of routing the contents of that track to that device, but in general 127 sequencer tracks is going to be WAY more than most people need.

I can't find info about the total polyphony of the MPCX's internal sample playback, but it's got to be at least 64 voices or so - which would mean you could have 64 stereo drum samples all playing at the same moment AT THE SAME TIME as the eight stereo audio tracks. So don't worry. Looks like the MPCX is a beast.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
No, the "eight audio tracks" refers to eight stereo linear audio tracks that run ON TOP OF the zillions of one shot samples making up the programmed bed of your music.

Think of the eight tracks as a way to lay in vocals, live guitar, etc. - just like laying eight audio tracks from a DAW on top of your programmed stuff. Except these eight tracks can automatically follow the tempo of the MPC programmed stuff, and be re-pitched and time-stretched by wild amounts, like you can do in Ableton Live. Some folks will use the eight stereo tracks to play back whole stems of songs, which will play back while programmed stuff from the internal sequencer / sampler plays alongside.

The 127 tracks in the sequencer side of the MPC is separate to the eight audio tracks, and how many you need to use depends on how you like to work and how many external synths you want to use. Some folks will program a whole beat, using all of the drum pads / internal samples all on one track - some like to use a separate track for each drum or group of sounds, to make it easier to erase, copy, paste, etc. Each external synth (MIDI or CV+Gate) probably needs one of the 127 tracks to itself, for ease of routing the contents of that track to that device, but in general 127 sequencer tracks is going to be WAY more than most people need.

I can't find info about the total polyphony of the MPCX's internal sample playback, but it's got to be at least 64 voices or so - which would mean you could have 64 stereo drum samples all playing at the same moment AT THE SAME TIME as the eight stereo audio tracks. So don't worry. Looks like the MPCX is a beast.
8 is better than none, but it wouldn't hurt to have more...I mean there are $400 HD porta Studios that have 32 tracks.

It could have given the MPC X more functionality as a stand alone full blown HD recorder/sequencer as well as a midi/sampler production hub. I don't get some of their decisions, tbh...
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

MPC5000 had 8 full length audio tracks years ago. For all its bugs, its an MPC thru and thru. The last great hardware MPC. These new MPC software boxes? Not convinced yet.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

GS: "Why isn't this 10x better than Ableton Live? FAIL Akai, FAIL"
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Head
Wow so much complaining! Lots of people haven't even played with it yet?! If you want Ableton just s*** up and continue using Ableton with a Push controller?!
This is a MPC! All I'm hoping for is that the timing of its Midi, CV and Gate is tight and that the OS is stable and the converters sound decent. It will be the first powerful standalone sampler on batteries! whats not to like?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdekay View Post
Wow so much complaining! Lots of people haven't even played with it yet?! If you want Ableton just s*** up and continue using Ableton with a Push controller?!
This is a MPC! All I'm hoping for is that the timing of its Midi, CV and Gate is tight and that the OS is stable and the converters sound decent. It will be the first powerful standalone sampler on batteries! whats not to like?
Why are you conflating things that don't exist, at least for me.

I use Ableton w/Push 2, also have Maschine Studio, though I primarily use Cubase.

My pointing out that Akai could easily have had more than 8 audio tracks is just pointing out the obvious - where do you get the notion I'm comparing it to Live?

I am very interested in the MPC X (will probably get it), but that doesn't mean I have to express myself as an Akai fanboi/apologist. To me the biggest omission AFAICT is not having legacy analog filters on board - maybe I'm wrong but I can't find any info on that. All the rest are minor quibbles.

If anything I'd wish they'd step up their game more, as I feel if all manufacturers strives for excellence, that'll not only be beneficial to the consumer, but also trigger competition among developers to create better products.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes if they are loaded on to the audio tracks, but if they where loaded in to the sampler, then no.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Head
Dear Mr 12tone, Don't you think that if they could have put more channels in they would have? why wouldn't they? Anyway sure express your wishes but saying that Akai needs to step up their game more? I think they just did that and you don't? but you're still gonna get one? doesn't make sense to me but anyway I guess thats what forums are for instead of being excited. So meanwhile I will shut my mouth as it obviously doesn't motivate manufactures to make better products...

Last edited by matthewdekay; 19th January 2017 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: I don't know how to reply
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Mr 12tone, Don't you think that if they could have put more channels in they would have? why wouldn't they? Anyway sure express your wishes but saying that Akai needs to step up their game more? I think they just did that and you don't? but you're still gonna get one? doesn't make sense to me but anyway I guess thats what forums are for instead of being excited. So meanwhile I will shut my mouth as it obviously doesn't motivate manufactures to make better products...
First, I will say this, again, I'm very interested in the MPC X...and I will probably get it, but in a gear forum, I don't see the harm in the pointing things out, and engaging subsequently in the discussions that ensue - why is that taken for complaining...I don't get it?

I own several Akai products, most notably all of their current EWI series. Which I really like, but in all honesty, there is like zero support on them in terms of SW development and otherwise...it's like sad, that Akai assumes everything is perfect with that line, and they really don't put much of an effort to expand the line, try to engender enthusiasm among its base, etc...it probably speaks more to the lame state of wind controllers in general, in that supply and demand dictates that no effort is needed by manufacturers to try to entice that particular customer base...but I digress.

That said, I've owned many legacy Akai product over the years - of which the S1000 was my absolute favorite. I've probably done more stuff with that particular machine than any other single piece of kit I've ever had. Because of that, I've always had an affinity and a soft spot for Akai, most likely for nostalgic reasons.

That warm feeling has been hard to hold on to, in all honesty of late. IMHO, they've been totally bungling the brand. I don't want to be too harsh, but they've been pretty lame of late - Timbre and Rhythm Wolf to cite recent embarrassments, recent MPC's which essentially were dongles, etc...wtf?!?

Yeah, I'm harsh...but better than being feckless bystanders taking potshots at people who raise legitimate points about gear in question...
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't you think that if they could have put more channels in they would have? why wouldn't they?
Drip feed marketing, they feed you features at a given pace knowing that they have the next line of features and upgrades in the pipeline, do you think for instance that Intel are giving you the fastest available processors that they can currently manufacture at consumer cost, no, why, because they don't have to, which means their next line of product is ready and waiting.

If you think that any business ever succeeded by providing its customers with the perfect product, you are quite simply, mad.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Drip feed marketing, they feed you features at a given pace knowing that they have the next line of features and upgrades in the pipeline, do you think for instance that Intel are giving you the fastest available processors that they can currently manufacture at consumer cost, no, why, because they don't have to, which means their next line of product is ready and waiting.

If you think that any business ever succeeded by providing its customers with the perfect product, you are quite simply, mad.
Of course the danger is alienating the dedicated user base with inept, illogical marketing desicions. Where such marketing mistakes result in surplus of unsold goods causing massive price discounts, and leaving the initial buyers a tad nonplussed.

Too many cycles like that will doom any company...Akai better get this right, they're running out of cat lives...
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

No they aren't, Akai are owned by a company that will recycle (Already has) any hardware they create, so while this is out as an MPC, expect it to be out as a blah by blah too, a lot of Inmusic product is interchangable with small differences, look at all the VIP keyboards that are near enough the same product with a different name.
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No they aren't, Akai are owned by a company that will recycle (Already has) any hardware they create, so while this is out as an MPC, expect it to be out as a blah by blah too, a lot of Inmusic product is interchangable with small differences, look at all the VIP keyboards that are near enough the same product with a different name.
...well, that's not exactly a blueprint for excellence, nor fomenting enthusiasm for a brand, nor generating a loyal customer base.

I just don't get it...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search