The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Professional reigns supreme with new MPC X Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th January 2017
  #31
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Anyone thinking this is too expensive can get the MPC Live for half the price. It's smaller and with less features, but has rechargeable batteries.
yep just saw that one its about £799..from what i read it does sound as though its basically the same as the flagship (software wise/function wise)but it doesnt have all the encoders/in/outs/cvgate stuff the flagship model does.
in some ways i think the live version will sell alot and be more popular down to its smaller size and rechrgable batterys.

the akai live is a true poratable solution it doesnt need a computer,it can host vst instruments without the need of a computer,it doesnt need a power supply so itd be great for taking out for insperation and out of studio sampling.

one thing i do feel though is that it may have hit the market a little late.this should have come out a few years ago when there wasnt as many companys pumping out drum controllers or new drum machines.

i also think the flagship model is way over priced..me personally would rather it had a normal screen and been cheaper than have it more expensive because it has a touchscreen.i think touchscreens have lost the wow factor now and lets be honest in 99% of occassions the touchscreens were cumbersome and never as acurate as you wanted them too be.

im intrested in the live model but i wont pay £799 for it ill wait a year or so until its around the £499 mark..one good thing though is with these coming out hopefully akai will do a big sale of the akai touch if that goes for less than £299 il get one of those too tide me over until the big price drops on the live or flagship models
Old 10th January 2017
  #32
Gear Nut
 
ivoonline's Avatar
 

The first unit that does what it does imo. Price seems ok for what you get. A PC + soundcard, sequencer, instruments and FX in one box. To use as a VST in your DAW. Realtime time stretching and pitch. And to go. You can put an eq on your tracks, real cool for live, leave your outboard at home?
Old 10th January 2017
  #33
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
i see theyve posted some new vids on youtube
its got launch clips too and it automatically warps audio too be in time ..that will be a big plus for tons of djs.
the screen does seem too display some lag though :(
but one big plus is theyve finally upgraded mpc software !!!!!!!!! im really liking the gui on 2.0 i use mpc software sometimes i do like the quickness of it but the gui has always put me off using it more it looks dated and the bundled plugins wernt that great the only decent plugin was hybrid 3 but ive got 4 copys of that now i got it free with my advance 49..etc
Old 11th January 2017
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Akai: putting the Ka-Ching! back into Ka-Ching! again
Old 11th January 2017
  #35
Gear Nut
44.1 in standalone mode... too bad, I will have to stick to Ableton...
Old 11th January 2017
  #36
Gear Nut
 
ivoonline's Avatar
 

On a Dutch site the specs are:

maximale opnameresolutie:
standalone-modus: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz
standalone-modus: 24-bit, 96 kHz

http://www.bax-shop.nl/studio-workst...#specificaties
Old 11th January 2017
  #37
Gear Head
 
pluto_ro's Avatar
 

What about the USB ports, are these able to add class compliant external soundcards with more outs than the unit?

This will be really really good!
Old 11th January 2017
  #38
Gear Head
 
pluto_ro's Avatar
 

also I saw in some presentation in standalone mode we can have "8 audio tracks for the moment", that means there is any possibility to upgrade the number of the audio tracks?

Is this influenced by the speed of the SSD?
Old 11th January 2017
  #39
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoonline View Post
On a Dutch site the specs are:

maximale opnameresolutie:
standalone-modus: 24-bit, 44.1 kHz
standalone-modus: 24-bit, 96 kHz

AKAI MPC X kopen? | Bax Music
great!
so it took them 10 years to make another 24bit MPC.
finally!
Old 11th January 2017
  #40
Gear Nut
 
ivoonline's Avatar
 

it's the first unit that does what it does, maybe for a reason?
Old 11th January 2017
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
so it took them 10 years to make another 24bit MPC.
Make that 15 years, lol. Crazy, but the MPC 1000 and 2500 were based on the engine of the S3200XL and the MPC 5000 on the engine of the Alesis Fusion. That's why those were all 16bit.
Old 11th January 2017
  #42
Gear Nut
 
Oni.'s Avatar
OMG this is unit is horror-grade ugly!
Old 11th January 2017
  #43
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni. View Post
OMG this is unit is horror-grade ugly!
i think it looks fine. but yea, looks are important
Old 11th January 2017
  #44
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni. View Post
OMG this is unit is horror-grade ugly!
i'll judge when i see it with my own eyes.
i've noticed that the "pictures" on AKAI's website show slightly different mock ups of the new X.
but yes, those fancy rendered pics aren't quite my taste.
we'll see when it's finally out.
Old 11th January 2017
  #45
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Make that 15 years, lol. Crazy, but the MPC 1000 and 2500 were based on the engine of the S3200XL and the MPC 5000 on the engine of the Alesis Fusion. That's why those were all 16bit.
didn't even know that, thanks for enlightening me.
(btw, you're right. the 4k was released in 2002)
Old 11th January 2017
  #46
Gear Addict
 
Pilotwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's about on-par with how much the MPC's generally cost when they first come out, less than some of the top-tier ones. Believe it or not, the MPC5000 was $3499 when it first came out: Akai MPC5000 | Sound On Sound
49 Years old here

When the original "Akai" MPC60 came out, the list price was $5,500! I worked for a family owned musical instrument distributing company at the time and was able to buy one at a great price when they first came out. When it finally arrived via UPS, I saw the driver literally throw it off the back of his truck into the warehouse. When I turned it on for the first time, one of the 16 pads didn't work at all, and I had to send it back for a replacement. It only took a couple weeks but it seemed like an eternity. Eventually I sold the 60 and replaced it with a new blue MPC4000 which I still have. It is the center of my setup and has always worked without a single problem.

The MPCX is the first MPC since the 4000 that has piqued my interest. I'll have to wait and see reviews and get my hands on one before making a purchase decision. IMO the software needs to be rock solid, and I'm very curious to see if the MIDI timing will be as tight as the 4000 controlling external gear. I sincerely hope Akai has done this right and has a hit on their hands. I'm glad the standalone MPC is back!!!
Old 12th January 2017
  #47
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
yep just saw that one its about £799..from what i read it does sound as though its basically the same as the flagship (software wise/function wise)but it doesnt have all the encoders/in/outs/cvgate stuff the flagship model does.
in some ways i think the live version will sell alot and be more popular down to its smaller size and rechrgable batterys.

the akai live is a true poratable solution it doesnt need a computer,it can host vst instruments without the need of a computer,it doesnt need a power supply so itd be great for taking out for insperation and out of studio sampling.

one thing i do feel though is that it may have hit the market a little late.this should have come out a few years ago when there wasnt as many companys pumping out drum controllers or new drum machines.

i also think the flagship model is way over priced..me personally would rather it had a normal screen and been cheaper than have it more expensive because it has a touchscreen.i think touchscreens have lost the wow factor now and lets be honest in 99% of occassions the touchscreens were cumbersome and never as acurate as you wanted them too be.

im intrested in the live model but i wont pay £799 for it ill wait a year or so until its around the £499 mark..one good thing though is with these coming out hopefully akai will do a big sale of the akai touch if that goes for less than £299 il get one of those too tide me over until the big price drops on the live or flagship models
Where did you read that it can host Vst instruments without the need of a computer?
Old 12th January 2017
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSheep View Post
Where did you read that it can host Vst instruments without the need of a computer?
I think it's a pseudo-assumption. MPC-X runs MPC Software 2.0 which can host VST's, so maybe it will have that same capability in the hardware. Doubt it, but it's possible.
Old 12th January 2017
  #49
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSheep View Post
Where did you read that it can host Vst instruments without the need of a computer?
it comes with the air tech collection (hybrid 3/loom/riser ...etc)and akai have said the program works the same plugged into computer or no computer so that should mean it works with the plugins that come in the mpc2.0.

now if the vst bundle will only work if its hooked up to your computer then thats a massive letdown and ill pass on it .you might as well buy the mpc touch which is nearly half the price of mpc live.

but from the info ive read and vids ive seen it looks like it does run vsts in standalone as well as hooked up to a computer.power wise the new mpcs are basically a souped up ipad/laptop spec i run vsts on my windows tablet which cost me £40 it runs massive/fm8/ableton live lite 9 no problem so if a cheap tablet can do it the new mpcs should easily do it.
Old 12th January 2017
  #50
Gear Addict
 

The hardware units do not host VST.
Old 12th January 2017
  #51
Gear Nut
 

From AKAI site: "Whether you prefer to go computer-free or not, it can’t be denied that there are some fantastic sounding VST instruments and effects out there. For those times when you need your favorite plug-ins, the MPC X effortlessly goes from formidable standalone to high-powered MIDI controller, explicitly designed to run the feature-rich MPC Software 2.0 in your favorite DAW", hence my previous question.
Old 12th January 2017
  #52
Lives for gear
 
ImNotDedyet's Avatar
Everything I've seen has suggested it won't be able to host 3rd party VSTs when in standalone mode, but will be able to host Akai VSTs that run "natively" in MPC 2.0.
Old 13th January 2017
  #53
Gear Maniac
 

MPC Live PDF said:

"Powerful AIR Hybrid 3 virtual instrument built-in" probably same for MPCX. This is probably a specially coded version that runs internally but is not a VST.

"For those times when you need your favorite plug-ins, the MPC X effortlessly goes from formidable standalone to high-powered MIDI controller, explicitly designed to run the feature-rich MPC Software 2.0 in your favorite DAW"

This sounds like they're saying you can use it as a controller for your VST which run INSIDE YOUR DAW. Pretty clear.

VSTs run on x86/64 processors and these units are powered by ARM (same as in your phone). They would need devs to rebuild plugins for their platform.
Old 13th January 2017
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
MPC Live PDF said:

"Powerful AIR Hybrid 3 virtual instrument built-in" probably same for MPCX. This is probably a specially coded version that runs internally but is not a VST.

"For those times when you need your favorite plug-ins, the MPC X effortlessly goes from formidable standalone to high-powered MIDI controller, explicitly designed to run the feature-rich MPC Software 2.0 in your favorite DAW"

This sounds like they're saying you can use it as a controller for your VST which run INSIDE YOUR DAW. Pretty clear.

VSTs run on x86/64 processors and these units are powered by ARM (same as in your phone). They would need devs to rebuild plugins for their platform.
See this is what Im talking about! If there are versions of the Air instruments built in and available for use in stand alone mode, that gets me very excited!!!
Old 13th January 2017
  #55
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
See this is what Im talking about! If there are versions of the Air instruments built in and available for use in stand alone mode, that gets me very excited!!!
meh...

If they really wanted it to be powerful, they would have made it open ended, instead of some BS integration with specific content providers.

BS...

Air compared to if they'd allow for full VST integration, you're talking like Washington Generals vs the Globetrotters...

f#cking weak if you ask me...
Old 13th January 2017
  #56
Gear Addict
I think the fact that they have included the Air plugins for free is really good. The product is not yet out and already people are complaining

I don't think Akai will stop any developers from porting over their VSt, but it takes considerable time, money and effort to do so. Also though powerful they have a limit and expecting the same level of features as a modern computer if really naive.

I'm looking forward to the release so that I can get a better understanding of the MPC X capabilities and features. So far it looks promising especially if you produce in the studio and perform on stage.
Old 13th January 2017
  #57
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
I think the fact that they have included the Air plugins for free is really good. The product is not yet out and already people are complaining

I don't think Akai will stop any developers from porting over their VSt, but it takes considerable time, money and effort to do so. Also though powerful they have a limit and expecting the same level of features as a modern computer if really naive.

I'm looking forward to the release so that I can get a better understanding of the MPC X capabilities and features. So far it looks promising especially if you produce in the studio and perform on stage.
Really?

How are they supposed to 'kompete' with NI and Maschine and Komplete control?

I'm sorry...but some lame Air plugins ain't cuttin' it...just sayin'
Old 13th January 2017
  #58
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Really?

How are they supposed to 'kompete' with NI and Maschine and Komplete control?

I'm sorry...but some lame Air plugins ain't cuttin' it...just sayin'
I think people need to first understand these products before making comparisons.

You can actually use both the MPC X and MPC Live in the same manner as with the Maschine or Komplete Kontrol which are just controllers (They have to be tethered to a computer). You can load Komplete Plugins as well into MPC 2.0 running on the Computer just like you world in any other DAW.

But the MPC X and MPC Live are not just controllers, they also work standalone. Meaning you don't have to have it hooked up to a computer. In standalone mode while you don't currently have access to all plugins like when tethered to a computer, you still have access to a lot of legacy MPC plugins and some 3rd party plugins included for free.
Old 13th January 2017
  #59
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
I think people need to first understand these products before making comparisons.
how dare you ?!
this is gearslutz.
we complain about looks, prices and features of products that don't even exist, yet.

that is our l i f e .
Old 13th January 2017
  #60
Lives for gear
 
El-Burrito's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
meh...

If they really wanted it to be powerful, they would have made it open ended, instead of some BS integration with specific content providers.

BS...

Air compared to if they'd allow for full VST integration, you're talking like Washington Generals vs the Globetrotters...

f#cking weak if you ask me...
MPC 2.0 has full VST/AU support. What are you talking about?

No standalone machine run NI Komplete plugins.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump