The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in
Old 19th December 2016
Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Toneboosters, just passing the news.

Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in-screen-shot-2016-12-19-10.59.36-am.png
Improve the quality of your headphones, simulate a wide variety of brands and models, or customize your own headphone sound with TB Morphit.

Introduction

Every headphone has its own, characteristic sound. Did you ever consider how the specific sonic attributes of your cans change your mixing results? Do you ever wonder how your mix would sound on different headphones?

Virtually every existing headphone introduces unwanted changes to the audio.

TB Morphit helps to reduce these unwanted artifacts by improving the response of supported headphones. Moreover, it can simulate the sound of any of the other supported headphones. Hear how your mix translates from one set to another. Monitor how your mix will sound for your audience. This is especially important since several market studies have indicated that the majority of audio content is actually consumed over headphones. For this purpose, Morphit does not only include studio headphones, but also includes stock ear buds.

For faint-hearted headphone enthusiasts, TB Morphit also includes free-field and diffuse-field equalization modes and customizable target functions.

TB Morphit is an excellent companion to TB Isone, our environment simulation plugin for headphones. The cascade of headphone equalization (Morphit) and room acoustic simulation (Isone) together provides an unprecedented accuracy for simulation of loudspeaker reproduction on headphones.

Processing modes
Morphit operates in one of three modes. These modes are explained below.

Correct
In this mode, Morphit will correct and improve the response of the selected headphone. Unwanted resonances will be reduced, too much or too little bass response will be corrected, and alike. The graph in the user interface indicates the correction that is applied as a function of frequency.

Simulate
In this mode, Morphit will simulate the response of one headphone while using another. Two identical lists of headphones will appear: the top list is used to indicate what the headphone is you are wearing; the bottom list is used to select the headphone to simulate. Besides specific brands and types, the list includes ‘generic’ models to simulate a generic HiFi headphone, a typical ear bud, a studio reference headphone, as well as dummy-head responses (such as a free field and a diffuse-field response).

Custom(ize)
This mode is somewhat similar to the “Improve” mode, as it will improve the response of the selected headphone in the list. However, the target response (e.g. the desired response after correction and improvements) is customizable using 4 nodes in a way very similar to that used in many equalizers. Contrary to what some believe, the target function of an ideal headphone (when measured at the level of the ear drums) is typically not flat.

Integrated peak limiter
Morphit supports peak limiting to facilitate easy application on a master bus without causing clipping. The peak limiter is similar to our flagship peak limiter Barricade. The level reduction that is being applied is visualized by the gain control.

Features
  • Real-time, zero latency processing*
  • Fully resizable user interface supporting many color themes
  • Supports more than 100 popular studio headphones
  • Includes models of stock earbuds to simulate listening on the go
  • VST, VST3 and Audio Unit (Mac) versions
  • High-quality peak limiter integrated
  • Any sampling rate supported between 32 and 392 kHz
  • *When enabled, the limiter introduces approximately 3 ms of latency that will be fully compensated by hosts that support plugin latency compensation

System requirements

Windows 7 or better
32 or 64-bit DAW host program supporting VST or VST3 plugins

OSX 10.9 or better
32 or 64-bit DAW host program supporting Audio Units, VST or VST3 plugins

Click here for further information, full list of headphones and price.
Attached Thumbnails
Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in-screen-shot-2016-12-19-10.59.36-am.png  
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting!

I'm going to give this a try. If anyone uses Sonarworks headphones, I'd be interested to see how they thought this compares.
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting, plus the price
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear

Incredible! Personally, I prefer this to Sonarworks. Seem to be easier on my ears with a lot more options to choose from, plus the GUI seem to be better thought out...
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Awesome i have 4 tb plugins and i i use them in every projects great developer!!
I will buy it!
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Incredible! Personally, I prefer this to Sonarworks. Seem to be easier on my ears with a lot more options to choose from, plus the GUI seem to be better thought out...
Same here Simulating towards the "Generic Studio" preset sounds more natural and less piercing than what I remember Sonarworks was. This alongside a calibrated Isone with 50% HRTF and CSC "off" is giving me the most natural balanced sound while not being fatiguing at all.
Old 19th December 2016
This thing makes my DT 990 Pro 250 ohm sounds completely different on corrective mode, it's like a whole new set of cans. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, I'm kind of confused by this thing and a bit shocked to be honest, because it "feels" right.

I've also tried matching the DT 990 to the SR60, and although it gets it in the ballpark it's not as shocking as the corrective mode.

Need to test more.
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict
Please add support for Sennheiser HD-26 pro! Will buy it same day you do
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Addict

I've got sonarworks and after initially thinking it made my headphones better it just confused me too much how much it would alter the sound of a mix from what I was used to hearing.

I didn't have time to learn something new all over again and I felt a bit uncomfortable making eq decisions based on some other eq curve.

I will add that I didn't have my headphones calibrated by them which is really what your supposed to do. I just used the averaging curve.

I will test these out and compare directly as I see tonebooster supports the Audiotechnica ATH-M50's. I can't imagine I'd use it but it will be interesting to hear how similar the two sound or don't sound.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

I've got Sonarworks with custom calibrated KRK KNS-8400's which I'm very happy with but I'll check it out to see how it compares.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Guru

If it gives me at least as good as. Sonarworks without having to choose cpu hit and phase or latency & transient weirdness...i m switching in a sec
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
This thing makes my DT 990 Pro 250 ohm sounds completely different on corrective mode, it's like a whole new set of cans. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, I'm kind of confused by this thing and a bit shocked to be honest, because it "feels" right.

I've also tried matching the DT 990 to the SR60, and although it gets it in the ballpark it's not as shocking as the corrective mode.

Need to test more.
Diogo , don t compare , but mix with it ....it s night and here with sonarworks ( even with stuff i mentionned before ) , mix will translate way better and compression , eq , reverb duties will waaaaayyyyyyy more precise ....
Old 20th December 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Yes, I agree, you have to mix with it.
I have the Sonarworks and it works!
If this one does better than hey, I'll buy it but if it's the same, then why buy it.

Sonarwork has changed the way I mix and I love it. So much that I bought the hardware one as well.

Marc
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Man, this is just too cool.

With my MDR7506s, it changes the frequency response in a manner similar to Reference 3, but IMO, in a much more natural and transparent way.

In Sonarworks' defense, I haven't had my headphones custom calibrated, and I haven't played around much with different filter phase types. This is also just one set of headphones — I'm sure Reference 3 has some profiles that could knock any competition out of the water.

However, I am totally blown away by how well Morphit works with my Apple EarPods. I've never relied on EarPods for anything other than general listening, occasional mobile editing, and using them as a consumer headphone reference. But Morphit completely transforms these things — I could definitely see this being a viable approach to making "general" EQ decisions while mobile, in addition to being a great way for beginners to get working with a pair of headphones they likely already have.

I also tried Morphit with my cheaper Sennheiser HD201s, and the results were similar.

The "simulate" feature is also really cool, although I can't see myself using it often. Nevertheless, it seems to work very well — simulating the MDR7506s with the EarPods and HD201s seems about as accurate as such a process could get.

I recommend playing around with the custom EQ's low shelf, as well as inserting a trim plugin pre-Morphit. The limiter is handy, but it seems to produce LF pumping (and sometimes distortion) quite easily. I found myself dialing back the low shelf by a few dB and trimming the stereo bus by about -8dB pre-insert, as this seemed to produce a more even sound. I tested this with several fully-mastered commercial tracks, so as always, YMMV.

All that said, I'm still not totally sold on the idea of studio headphone calibration, and I absolutely love Sonarworks for speaker calibration. But I can absolutely see this becoming irreplaceable for situations where I need to use my EarPods or HD201s to get work done.

Fantastic work, Toneboosters!

Last edited by tkaitkai; 20th December 2016 at 09:19 AM..
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

You guys comparing it Sonarworks:

Am I missing something here? Sonarworks and this are doing different things... Sonarwork "corrects" your cans to simulate different monitors/speakers... This makes your cans sound like other cans... Right?
Attached Thumbnails
Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in-cqsipmu.gif  

Last edited by bgood; 20th December 2016 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: broken link
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
You guys comparing it Sonarworks:

Am I missing something here? Sonarworks and this are doing different things... Sonarwork "corrects" your cans to simulate different monitors/speakers... This makes your cans sound like other cans... Right?
Both plugins also give you the option to correct (i.e. flatten) the frequency response of your headphones. That's how I've been comparing them.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Both plugins also give you the option to correct (i.e. flatten) the frequency response of your headphones. That's how I've been comparing them.

Ah... Gotcha.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
With either of these plugins, are you mixing through the Flattening curve? If so, how do you find your mixes translate? Also, do you use a "room simulator" like waves NLS (?) or the one from TH?

I know it's not as awesome as an amazing, treated room... And there are no rules blah blah blah... Just curious what "best practices" are.

I have sonarworks headphones and the waves room deal. I find that I haven't been using them both together as much as I was when I first got them
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Nut
Tested alongside Sonarworks.
Obviously the real point is that TB does not provide (and I think they never will, being that a whole different story) personalized profiles of your cans.
The difference with my custom sonarworks profile is light years in front of the TB approximation of the Senn HD650 which is far more piercing and foggy. Not even close.
As per "approximated" profiles, the sonarworks HD650 generic profile sounds more dense than the TB one, and less "EQed"...
My two cents.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
With either of these plugins, are you mixing through the Flattening curve? If so, how do you find your mixes translate? Also, do you use a "room simulator" like waves NLS (?) or the one from TH?

I know it's not as awesome as an amazing, treated room... And there are no rules blah blah blah... Just curious what "best practices" are.

I have sonarworks headphones and the waves room deal. I find that I haven't been using them both together as much as I was when I first got them
I'm not too fond of headphone calibration, mostly because I don't feel like I can trust it. Since the room is effectively removed from the equation when using headphones, you're typically hearing them the way they were intended to be heard, and with a solid pair of studio headphones, I'm not sure that flatter is necessarily better.

Then again, I rarely use headphones for mixing — if this were my only option, I'd be more inclined to use corrective software. But in my situation, I've become familiar with the 7506s, and I find their stock frequency response particularly useful for sorting out "micro" issues within a mix.

I'm more excited about the possibility of being able to use Morphit with my EarPods and HD201s to do more serious mobile/pre-production work.

I'm not really interested in the Waves NX or other room simulation software. I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful for some, it just kinda weirds me out, personally.

I definitely love the Sonarworks speaker/room calibration, though. I can do decent work without it, but now that my ears have adjusted to the change, I would hate to be without it.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

AudioCore?

Either sonarworks or this one have a driver for audiocore, which i miss a lot, would be nice to have though
Old 20th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Diogo , don t compare , but mix with it ....it s night and here with sonarworks ( even with stuff i mentionned before ) , mix will translate way better and compression , eq , reverb duties will waaaaayyyyyyy more precise ....
Hell yeah, I didn't had the time yet to work on a full mix so I just pulled out a few finished ones because I was so curious about this. I'm also on the skeptical camp but since its coming from TB I thought it was worth a shot. I'll try to make a full mix using Morphit asap.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Nut

I tried sonarworks with factory profile for KRK KNS 8400 and the same profile in TB. Both in default setting, without changing anything. I was suprised how big difference was. TB produced much more HI frequencies than i like. Maybe after tweaking EQ and chaning wet/dry level i can reach better result.
Old 20th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digipope View Post
I tried sonarworks with factory profile for KRK KNS 8400 and the same profile in TB. Both in default setting, without changing anything. I was suprised how big difference was. TB produced much more HI frequencies than i like. Maybe after tweaking EQ and chaning wet/dry level i can reach better result.
Put in simulate mode and choose "Generic Studio"... this takes care of the excess hf and is actually the recommended starting point for mixing purposes.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

They have AudioTechnica ATH M50x, but I have ATH M50. It´s a pity
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Well this definitely makes my Shure 940's more fun to listen to. Of course, I didn't buy those for pleasure listening...I'll have to see if it actually improves tracking/mixing decisions.

One feature request that immediately jumped out at me: volume trim with the limiter disengaged. I'd much rather just pull back the volume post correction than leave a limiter on my mixbus while I'm working - way too much chance of the limiter effecting my balance and compression decisions.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
They have AudioTechnica ATH M50x, but I have ATH M50. It´s a pity
Supposedly the 50's just don't have the removable plug. Same drivers as far as I know....I use them with Sonarworks no problem....
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
One feature request that immediately jumped out at me: volume trim with the limiter disengaged. I'd much rather just pull back the volume post correction than leave a limiter on my mixbus while I'm working - way too much chance of the limiter effecting my balance and compression decisions.
+ 1

Rather strange that you can't change the volume without the limiter on.

Been testing this and Sonarworks, on DT 990. Both give nice results (headphones sound better), but i feel that Morphit adds too much lows and Sonarworks sounds weird in the highs. Anyone else experience this ?
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

The more I use it, the more I like it! Done some very important adjustments to my mixes that otherwise would've gone unnoticed.

P.S Any chance to add Superlux HD 681 and AudioTechnica ATH M30?
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
Been testing this and Sonarworks, on DT 990. Both give nice results (headphones sound better), but i feel that Morphit adds too much lows and Sonarworks sounds weird in the highs. Anyone else experience this ?
This seems to be the case for me as well. With Morphit, this can be mitigated by using the Custom EQ mode and simply lowering the LF shelf.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search