The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Toneboosters releases Morphit - Headphone correction plug-in Studio Headphones
Old 17th March 2017
  #91
Gear Head
 

I have been a TB Isone (HRTF plugin) and Sonarworks user for more than a year. I like them both and use them everyday.

After comparing TB Morphit with Sonarworks, I would say Sonarworks is a clear winner.
On my DT880 pro, with the TB Morphit supplied curve, tonal balance is way off and bass is not tight at all.

One should ask "where do all the curves supplied by TB Morphit come from?" and "how accurate are those curves"? Then take a look of how Sonarworks comes up with the average and individual calibrated profile.

I am sorry TB, I really like the Isone, but to me, Morphit should measures headphones accurately and provide accurate profiles, instead of throwing 100 curves for different headphones and hope the users to make their own twists in custom settings.
Old 17th March 2017
  #92
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolee View Post
I have been a TB Isone (HRTF plugin) and Sonarworks user for more than a year. I like them both and use them everyday.

After comparing TB Morphit with Sonarworks, I would say Sonarworks is a clear winner.
On my DT880 pro, with the TB Morphit supplied curve, tonal balance is way off and bass is not tight at all.

One should ask "where do all the curves supplied by TB Morphit come from?" and "how accurate are those curves"? Then take a look of how Sonarworks comes up with the average and individual calibrated profile.

I am sorry TB, I really like the Isone, but to me, Morphit should measures headphones accurately and provide accurate profiles, instead of throwing 100 curves for different headphones and hope the users to make their own twists in custom settings.
You work for Sonarworks?
Old 17th March 2017
  #93
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
You work for Sonarworks?
of course not, although I agree I sound like one since I am an advocate of SW.
Old 4th April 2017
  #94
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolee View Post
I have been a TB Isone (HRTF plugin) and Sonarworks user for more than a year. I like them both and use them everyday.

After comparing TB Morphit with Sonarworks, I would say Sonarworks is a clear winner.
On my DT880 pro, with the TB Morphit supplied curve, tonal balance is way off and bass is not tight at all.
This is odd. The correction curves for Morphit and Sonarworks for DT880 are very similar, especially in the low frequency range. Perhaps something went wrong? Also the effect of both plugins sound extremely similar on my 880s.
Old 4th April 2017
  #95
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryMango View Post
This is odd. The correction curves for Morphit and Sonarworks for DT880 are very similar, especially in the low frequency range. Perhaps something went wrong? Also the effect of both plugins sound extremely similar on my 880s.
If you are using Linear Phase Filter on Sonarworks, the effect difference is huge.

The corrections curves look similar, but the differences are still there, especially at
below 100hz and above 5khz.

Anyway, try each of them for a week and see which one suits you better.
Old 10th April 2017
  #96
No Samson SR850 correction mode but I see the Superlux 668B.
Some people said that the Superlux was supposed to be the same as the Samson.
Is this true?
Old 8th June 2017
  #97
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolee View Post
I have been a TB Isone (HRTF plugin) and Sonarworks user for more than a year.
basic question.

isone first...then headphone correction after?
Old 8th June 2017
  #98
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Could this be used to pick new headphones?

If you can't go to a store and test for real, could this type of plugin conceivable be used with your old headphones to test which ones you might prefer to get if you were looking to get a new or extra pair of headphones?

Or is the sound still way to different to make any serious quality/preference decisions?

Thanks.
I did exactly this.

I used the plugin to shoot out headphones...I decided on Beyerdynamic dt 990 for my budget after shooting out a bunch with different source material.. I was very happy with my decision.. I also have made a really good shortlist of headphones i like.

j

0=0
Old 8th June 2017
  #99
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbalcubo View Post
OT
will be nice a mp3 player app for android and ios with this plugin inside.
I think about this everyday.

j

0=0
Old 8th June 2017
  #100
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0e0 View Post
basic question.

isone first...then headphone correction after?
Yes, of course.
Old 8th June 2017
  #101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0e0 View Post
I did exactly this.

I used the plugin to shoot out headphones...I decided on Beyerdynamic dt 990 for my budget after shooting out a bunch with different source material.. I was very happy with my decision.. I also have made a really good shortlist of headphones i like.
Thank you
Old 17th September 2017
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

Resurrecting this thread to provide a review of Morphit compared to the Sonarworks. As I wrote previously in the thread, I am a fan of their room correction software. I also use a lot of the TB plugins. So I have no preferential attitude towards one company or the other.

My testing was done at three settings. 100%, 75% and 50% wet. Bellow that the differences were so subtle, it wasn't worth testing. After thorough listening, I decided to focus only on the 75% and 100% wet signal. At 50% blend, the differences are fairly small between the two. The characteristic of each correction is there, but it has a lot less obvious effect on the signal.

As far as the source material, I used a bunch of tracks that I know very well(nothing personal, just to keep things neutral), flac files.

I also adjusted the levels between the plugins to the same loudness and to the uncorrected version, using a bunch of metering and obviously my ears. I have mapped the fx racks so that i can easily switch between different versions seamlessly, and I could choose easily which version to listen to. The comparisons were always done between the same correction amount, not between 100% Morphit and 75% Sonarworks etc. When switching between correction amounts, I always ran through the baseline.

The headphones used were Beyer 990 Pros, with a lot of available signal to drive them beyond any decent level of listening. But I tried to keep things in line, listening at multiple volume, but mostly around a comfortable range.

I love these headphones and have been using them for years on and off and always was happy with checking mixes on them. However, they do have a few characteristics. A slightly recessed mid range and very particular top end sparkle (some love it, some don't) but they can show you a lot of details in the material. They do not sound like they have that typical hifi smile curve to them, but like any other headphones, the response is not perfect. They've been around for years, they are in most studios, a lot of love goes around for these headphones.

To get down to the results, I personally preferred the Morphit version of the correction. I used the standard calibration profiles and in Sonarworks case, I used the linear phase setting, to get the most out of it.

100%: The differences I think are enormous between the two. While they both try to address the same issues, I found that sonarworks takes things to extremes, the resulting sound having a very obvious "filtered" tone to it. the high end gets almost muffled (most likely just masked by the insane amount of mid range). The bass is bigger than on Morphit but I find it exaggerated and if I had to rely on that calibration to adjust a mix, it would probably not have enough low end for electronic music. On Morphit, the overall sound was tighter, with obviously tamed highs but the details were not missing. On some Jamiroquai records you could still hear the sticks hitting the hihats which through Sonarworks just sounded much lower in the mix and that kind of detail was just lost. Although the midrange is pushed forward, I still found that vocals sounded muffled/muddy through Sonarworks, the effect being more that guitars or mid range synths were being prominent, and again a lot of high end detail being lost, especially in the vocals and cymbals.

75%: The same overall characteristics were there, slightly less emphasised but pretty much the same points apply to this setting as well. I still felt that the TB version sounded a lot more natural, keeping the overall character of the headphones, but adjusting it to give you a better image. Overall I found that this level of correction was my choice as I felt that everything was tighter, tamer, but still keeping the feel that the headphones have and not losing their sonic signature.

I also ran this as a blind test to a couple of my friends, musicians, and their preferences were the same, the conclusion being the more natural sound coming from TB and the very obvious filtered character of Sonarworks. One of them even saying (at 100%) that it was like the music was coming from a radio.

So I will just go for Morphit personally, using it at 75% wet.

I haven't tested any individually calibrated headphones from Sonarworks but I have heard great things about it. Maybe some day in the future I'll get a chance. But as far as the general profile, for this particular model, I found it to be off.

This of course applies to this pair that I own. Can't really say how much they would differ from other ones, but like I said, I have used a bunch of them in all sort of places and I don't feel that my personal pair sounds any different than the ones I listened to in the past.

But as both companies offer their plugin in demo version (TB unlimited, Sonar 21 days) just try it for yourselves and see what sounds best. Just be careful with the loudness as they don't have similar ranges of adjustment on their output stage so you will have to do this in whatever DAW you use to test it.
Old 17th September 2017
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Benj's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
Resurrecting this thread to provide a review of Morphit compared to the Sonarworks. As I wrote previously in the thread, I am a fan of their room correction software. I also use a lot of the TB plugins. So I have no preferential attitude towards one company or the other.

My testing was done at three settings. 100%, 75% and 50% wet. Bellow that the differences were so subtle, it wasn't worth testing. After thorough listening, I decided to focus only on the 75% and 100% wet signal. At 50% blend, the differences are fairly small between the two. The characteristic of each correction is there, but it has a lot less obvious effect on the signal.

As far as the source material, I used a bunch of tracks that I know very well(nothing personal, just to keep things neutral), flac files.

I also adjusted the levels between the plugins to the same loudness and to the uncorrected version, using a bunch of metering and obviously my ears. I have mapped the fx racks so that i can easily switch between different versions seamlessly, and I could choose easily which version to listen to. The comparisons were always done between the same correction amount, not between 100% Morphit and 75% Sonarworks etc. When switching between correction amounts, I always ran through the baseline.

The headphones used were Beyer 990 Pros, with a lot of available signal to drive them beyond any decent level of listening. But I tried to keep things in line, listening at multiple volume, but mostly around a comfortable range.

I love these headphones and have been using them for years on and off and always was happy with checking mixes on them. However, they do have a few characteristics. A slightly recessed mid range and very particular top end sparkle (some love it, some don't) but they can show you a lot of details in the material. They do not sound like they have that typical hifi smile curve to them, but like any other headphones, the response is not perfect. They've been around for years, they are in most studios, a lot of love goes around for these headphones.

To get down to the results, I personally preferred the Morphit version of the correction. I used the standard calibration profiles and in Sonarworks case, I used the linear phase setting, to get the most out of it.

100%: The differences I think are enormous between the two. While they both try to address the same issues, I found that sonarworks takes things to extremes, the resulting sound having a very obvious "filtered" tone to it. the high end gets almost muffled (most likely just masked by the insane amount of mid range). The bass is bigger than on Morphit but I find it exaggerated and if I had to rely on that calibration to adjust a mix, it would probably not have enough low end for electronic music. On Morphit, the overall sound was tighter, with obviously tamed highs but the details were not missing. On some Jamiroquai records you could still hear the sticks hitting the hihats which through Sonarworks just sounded much lower in the mix and that kind of detail was just lost. Although the midrange is pushed forward, I still found that vocals sounded muffled/muddy through Sonarworks, the effect being more that guitars or mid range synths were being prominent, and again a lot of high end detail being lost, especially in the vocals and cymbals.

75%: The same overall characteristics were there, slightly less emphasised but pretty much the same points apply to this setting as well. I still felt that the TB version sounded a lot more natural, keeping the overall character of the headphones, but adjusting it to give you a better image. Overall I found that this level of correction was my choice as I felt that everything was tighter, tamer, but still keeping the feel that the headphones have and not losing their sonic signature.

I also ran this as a blind test to a couple of my friends, musicians, and their preferences were the same, the conclusion being the more natural sound coming from TB and the very obvious filtered character of Sonarworks. One of them even saying (at 100%) that it was like the music was coming from a radio.

So I will just go for Morphit personally, using it at 75% wet.

I haven't tested any individually calibrated headphones from Sonarworks but I have heard great things about it. Maybe some day in the future I'll get a chance. But as far as the general profile, for this particular model, I found it to be off.

This of course applies to this pair that I own. Can't really say how much they would differ from other ones, but like I said, I have used a bunch of them in all sort of places and I don't feel that my personal pair sounds any different than the ones I listened to in the past.

But as both companies offer their plugin in demo version (TB unlimited, Sonar 21 days) just try it for yourselves and see what sounds best. Just be careful with the loudness as they don't have similar ranges of adjustment on their output stage so you will have to do this in whatever DAW you use to test it.
Is there any particular reason why you're using linear phase on Sonarworks? I find it unacceptable for doing any work from all of the pre-ringing (smearing of transients). I hardly even use mixed phase anymore for the same reason.

I have morphit and really like the customizing one can do... also running morphit around 70-75% for my Audeze LCD2r2. Using Sonarworks for my Sennheisers 650s around 90% but haven't done a detailed comparison to Morphit there. Only know that initial tests had me preferring Sonarworks, but I might be able to best it with Morphit customizing their 650 profile (similar to what I did with my Audeze).

I'm surprised Morphit doesn't get more attention!
Old 17th September 2017
  #104
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

Hey @Benj, when testing the plugin, i found that linear phase had the best response. I know about the issues regarding the bass freqs but the overall sound was much better to my ears, and with these headphones. Also, the CPU hit on my machines is massive. Just running a stereo track through the Sonarworks goes from 3-4% with linear phase to 20% with min filter phase. I only need it at mixdowns and by that point I'm already running a few plugins so that kind of CPU loss is not something I can afford. This is on both my macs (2014 models). Morphit is great from that respect, but I only judged it for sound alone, regardless of CPU needs.

Again, it might be that for these particular headphones my results are the ones above and I would be very curious to try it out with other cans. Honestly, I never tried Sennheiser headphones (apart from the HD25s for DJing) and have mostly been a fan of Beyerdynamics for a long time. When I was working in a pro studio I had the pick between Ultrasones, Beyers, Shure, AT and always went for the Beyers. But I was really surprised of the differences one notices when putting them head to head.
Old 25th December 2017
  #105
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodulf View Post

Independently from Harman guys .... We measured a pair of headphones, calibrated them to "instrument-flat" and then hand tuned so they match the sound of a calibrated speaker system in a well treated room. Unsurprisingly our target curve isn't too different from Olive-Welti.

So - a pair of custom calibrated cans from us will sound just like a flat-measuring system in a treated room. Sans tactile impact and imaging, of course.
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that you can only get the "tweak" away from "instrument flat" that provides your comparable Olive-Welti curve if you send in a pair of headphones to be custom calibrated? If not, then what target curve does one select in the plugin that corresponds to tweaking the headphones to produce your comparable Olive-Welti curve - surely that is not what is happening with the "flat" setting selected in the plugin?
Old 3rd January 2018
  #106
0e0
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post

So I will just go for Morphit personally, using it at 75% wet.
depending on the setting and the cans i'm using my findings are very close to this too.

j

0=0
Old 3rd January 2018
  #107
Lives for gear
 

I compared Morphit (demo) and Reference 4 (purchased upgrade from v3) with my AKG K702 headphones the other night. The difference between them was not subtle - huge infact - and I preferred Reference by far. It tamed the crispiness and put some natural weight in the lows that are missing in the headphones.

I wanted to love Morphit too because I have almost all of the ToneBoosters stuff and they tick the boxes: price, quality, CPU efficiency, features etc - one of my favourite developers.

Admittedly I didn't delve too deep into trying to match them. Could be partly a case of user-error (ie: grain of salt..)
Old 3rd January 2018
  #108
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
You work for Sonarworks?
Since when did having an opinion=employment? Man Slate, Soundtoys and Kush, must have a gazillion employees! Who knew......
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump