The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Youlean Loudness Meter - FREE Plugin Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th December 2016
Gear Head

Software Youlean Loudness Meter - FREE Plugin

Hi guys, I am Youlean and I am the creator of Youlean Loudness Meter.

This is a free loudness meter that supports many international standards, featuring distribution display, histogram, resizable interface and more. This was released as part of KVR Developer challenge, so if you like it you can also vote for it (until 18. December).

If you have any questions, or feature requests for the future versions, please post here.
NOTE - You need to have playback engaged in your DAW in order for meter to work. .

macOS/Windows - VST, AU
Download and vote HERE

Vote by clicking on numbers right to the download buttons.
By voting you may get free trip to the NAMM show 2017 (Anaheim, CA, USA)!

Old 15th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Wow, thank you for this, very generous
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Very nice, thanks!
Old 15th December 2016
Here for the gear

Nice, thanks!
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

An AAX version please!
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

How about RMS?
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,
You're obviously very skilled at programming. Why don't you focus your talent on something more original? it seems you were more than inspired by another plug-in
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hato74 View Post
Very nice, thanks!
Thanks!
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchr View Post
Nice, thanks!
Thanks!
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
An AAX version please!
It is coming, though I will need to sort this with AVID and this can take some time, but this is on high priority.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
How about RMS?
Why would you care about RMS when you have accurate loudness measurements with LUFS/LKFS?
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi,
You're obviously very skilled at programming. Why don't you focus your talent on something more original? it seems you were more than inspired by another plug-in
I definitely will, but to be honest I was really sick for companies charging 300+$ for simple meter (for example), so I ended making my own. :D

If you are referring to NUGEN VisLM 2, yes this had huge inspiration on me. I think that they did great job with their meter. What they did with this meter was like people invented car with 4 wheels, and since then all cars have 4 wheels. It is same thing with my meter, I couldn't really make it that different. Anyways, in the end users win, NUGEN VisLM 2 - 449$ / Youlean Loudness Meter - 0$

Also, future updates will bring more features that will definitely differentiate my meter from the rest.
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Both nice work and Thanks for the gift !

BTW ... you've been missed at another forum [FS]
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Both nice work and Thanks for the gift !

BTW ... you've been missed at another forum [FS]
Thanks! I am always there, but now I am in ghost mode. I don't have time to reply, as this plugin is sucking all my free time... :D
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Maniac

...."sucking all my free time"...was that a pun?.../s~
Old 16th December 2016
ukm
Gear Nut

Many thanks.
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveGS View Post
...."sucking all my free time"...was that a pun?.../s~
Not everyone has English as their native language, he meant "sucking up"
Old 16th December 2016
wow! Looks as good as my Nugen metering plugin which cost me a few hundreds!
Old 16th December 2016
Just downloaded it ... vst3 doesn't appear in plugins list and vst crashes Cubase 9.0.1
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
Why would you care about RMS when you have accurate loudness measurements with LUFS/LKFS?
Because RMS is still crucial when mastering for CD, ITunes and basically all none streaming products. I prefer not to, but it's still a demand for some of my customers, so I don't have much of a choice...
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Fantastic plugin. Just saved me some serious cash!

Voted :¬)

It lacks in the UI department though, and has some shortcomings. I took the liberty of mocking up an updated UI for you (I used to be a Lead Usability Consultant for MasterCard, Barclays, Sky TV and various other global corporate bastards).

Changes:
  • Colour assigned to particular function/output
  • Used simple gradients as backgrounds for panels - they catch the eye
  • Removed the LUFS after each reading to make the value clearer
  • Colour co-ordinated Short Term LUFS panel with the ST LUFS arrow on the meter
  • Simple (sexy) gradient on the meter
  • Base of the meter (-23) matches the colour on the graph
  • Made the Momentary and ST Max readouts easier to read
  • Matched the Momentary Max value colour with the corresponding line graph (yellow)
  • Colour co-ordinated the ST Max value colour with the line on the graph (rust)
  • All buttons have a distinct look - it's obvious what can be pressed
  • Graph toggles (ST, Moment and Time) buttons colour co-ordinated with graph lines and ST/M max values
  • Drop downs have a consistent look (distinct from simple buttons)
  • Removed the (huge, and I dare say completely pointless) banner. It looks *far* more professional without it
  • True Peak dBs value colour co-ordinated with peaks on graph
  • Added a tooltip/help bar at the bottom - incredibly useful. You can use content from the manual to populate
  • Used meaningful words for the Standard types (Broadcast, YouTube, Radio etc)
  • Spaced things out a bit better

Note: I was intending to add the Settings cog bottom right (next to the jump to end button) but forgot :¬)

I kept to your original layout as much as possible. Adding a gradient in code is very easy too. It's all basically slight positional tweaks and intentional use of colour (to draw the eye), and to make elements of the interface obvious (readout panel, button, dropdown etc).

While functionality is key—and this plugin rocks—UI should never be underestimated. It can make or break something (just look at FabFilter).

If you'd like the PSD file for colour hex codes and whatnot it's yours.

Last edited by b0se; 16th December 2016 at 07:26 PM..
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Fantastic plugin. Just saved me some serious cash!

Voted :¬)

It lacks in the UI department though, and has some shortcomings. I took the liberty of mocking up an updated UI for you (I used to be a Lead Usability Consultant for MasterCard, Barclays, Sky TV and various other global corporate bastards).

Changes:
  • Used simple gradients as backgrounds for panels - they catch the eye
  • Removed the LUFS after each reading to make the value much easier at a glance
  • Colour co-ordinated Short Term LUFS panel with the ST LUFS arrow on the meter
  • Simple (sexy) gradient on the meter
  • Base of the meter (-23) matches the colour on the graph
  • Made the Momentary and ST Max readouts easier to read
  • Matched the Momentary Max value colour with the corresponding line graph (yellow)
  • Colour co-ordinated the ST Max value colour with the line on the graph (rust)
  • All buttons have a distinct look - it's obvious what can be pressed
  • Graph toggles (ST, Moment and Time) buttons colour co-ordinated with graph lines and panel values
  • Drop downs have a consistent look. Also different from simple buttons.
  • Removed the (huge, and I dare say completely pointless) banner. It looks *far* more professional without it.
  • True Peak dBs value colour co-ordinated with peaks on graph
  • Added a tooltip/help bar at the bottom - incredibly useful. You can use content from the manual to populate.
  • Used meaningful words for the Standard types (Broadcast, YouTube, Radio etc)
  • Spaced things out a bit better

Note: I was intending to add the Settings cog bottom right (next to the jump to end button) but forgot :¬)

I kept to your original layout as much as possible. Adding a gradient in code is very easy too. It's all basically slight positional tweaks and intentional use of colour (to draw the eye), and to make elements of the interface obvious (readout panel, button, dropdown etc).

While functionality is key—and this plugin rocks—UI should never be underestimated. It can make or break something (just look at FabFilter).

If you'd like the PSD file for colour hex codes and whatnot it's yours.
As a counterpoint: I prefer the look of the original plugin.. except the banner. You are completely correct on that point. Your color choices are, in my opinion, worse than the original. A gradient is not needed on the metering.. it's neither sexy nor nice. It looks tacky and old.. not modern and flat like the original GUI is going for.

EDIT: On second thought, I do like some of your choices. I'm just extremely allergic to the gradient on the metering. It's horrible.

The yellow tracking line for the metering on the graph looks cool though.
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
As a counterpoint: I prefer the look of the original plugin.. except the banner. You are completely correct on that point. Your color choices are, in my opinion, worse than the original. A gradient is not needed on the metering.. it's neither sexy nor nice. It looks tacky and old.. not modern and flat like the original GUI is going for.

EDIT: On second thought, I do like some of your choices. I'm just extremely allergic to the gradient on the metering. It's horrible.

The yellow tracking line for the metering on the graph looks cool though.
You don't like gradients; fine. You like the original because it suits a specific aesthetic taste you have. That's fine, but it lacks any insight for en-masse usability.

That's a minor point and personal to you. There are huge benefits of using colour in meters. The audio world is used to them. Familiar. Intuitive. The colours mean things instinctively at a glance; green good, red bad (as such). Don't underestimate the power of something so simple.

The major points are twofold; co-ordinating linked functions/elements and the differentiation others (over a short time the colours become associated with a particular function).

The current design looks as it is; a purely functional UI to display data. While that works, it doesn't tick any boxes for making it easy to link at a glance.

One word: Apple.

Last edited by b0se; 16th December 2016 at 07:21 PM..
Old 16th December 2016
Gear Guru
I like the changes and think it's awesome to take the time to help out a guy who's launched a freebie!.......
Old 16th December 2016
Here for the gear

Fantastic freebie, thank you Youlean!
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
b0se;12317161]........[*]Simple (sexy) gradient on the meter
A difference of opinion but I Intensely dislike gradient meters. Really like the original layout/colors....especially the solid color meters. Immediate, concise visual feedback is what I'm after when I'm looking at meters.

Nice plug and congrats. There is usefulness in RMS and especially K-System meters.

Good stuff.
Old 17th December 2016
Here for the gear

The gradient rainbow peakmeter above is completely missing the point of a loudness meter. To keep the Integrated Loudness of TV/radio programs in the same "target" zone, it needs a clear color break at the important LUFS/LU. Based on the local regulations (EBU R128, BS-1770-4, ARIB), the integrated Loudness should match - 23 or -24 LUFS/LKFS = 0 LU. The tolerance zone can be 1 dB or 2 dB around that level. If there is an additional Loudness range display (e. g. Izotope), it could use a gradient towards it's borders, but for the Loudness meter clear color breaks at the correct positions are essential for professional work.
The TRUEPEAK meter, which is similar to a PPM/VU meter also needs visible color breaks for the important level points (-1 or -2 dB, based on the standard). This is the reason, why professional loudness metering tools on the market avoid fancy gradients (RTW, TC, Nugen, Izotope, Penguin, LAWO).

Great plugin with all essential information! Please continue the development.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

To repeat: The key is colour coded differentiation and linking of UI elements for a more intuitive experience. There are a lot of tweaks in the design, the gradient on the volume level and/or panels are quite minor in comparison. They can replaced by a flat colour with zero effort :¬)

@Gearhansi - that makes sense, thanks for the constructive feedback. Completely agree, the volume meter should be linked to the chosen standards and limits. I'll make a V2 version tomorrow with that added.

Edit: although there is no point if @Youlean has no plans to update it :¬)
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

Thanks everyone for support!
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
Not everyone has English as their native language, he meant "sucking up"
Indeed! Thanks Lesha!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search