The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone
Old 21st November 2016
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone

Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone-chandler_limited_redd_microphone_banner_pr_2b2.jpg

Chandler Limited, the only company in the world authorized to develop, manufacture and market the ʻOfficial Equipmentʼ of EMI/Abbey Road Studios, delivering the classic analog sounds recording and professional musicians seek, adds to their growing Abbey Road Studios series with the ground-breaking ʻREDD Microphoneʼ.

Continuing in the rich tradition of innovation at EMI, dating back to the early 1930s with Alan Blumlein, the father of ʻStereoʼ, the companyʼs first coil microphones, velocity ʻribbonʼ mics and the “Blumlein pair” technique, Chandler Limited and Abbey Road Studios introduce the first new EMI badged microphone in over a half century, the ʻREDD Microphoneʼ.

Designed by Chandler Limited Founder and Chief Designer, Wade Goeke, the patent pending REDD Microphone represents a shift in traditional microphone design, bringing together historic circuitry and the heralded EMI REDD.47 preamplifier sound in a new and unique way.

The REDD Microphone is a large diaphragm tube condenser microphone, combining mic and preamp into a single, beautifully handcrafted professional recording device. Featuring the vacuum tube based REDD.47 Mic Amplifier circuit directly coupled to a custom handmade premium platinum membrane capsule, the REDD Microphone can be used with or without an external preamplifier.
Visually, the aesthetic is unmistakably classic, an ode to a gilded age of audio; however, the REDD Microphone is not a U-Type clone or derivative of any other microphone.

This new and unique microphone design, with its built-in REDD.47 preamplifier, yields the shortest possible distance between the two most important elements in the recording chain. The result is a microphone that produces a larger than life full-bodied sound with a velvety smooth top-end.
Rigorously tested at Abbey Road Studios against some of the most famous and classic microphones in recording industry history, and on a variety of sources, the REDD microphone excelled.

Abbey Road Studiosʼ Head of Audio Products, Mirek Stiles had this to say about what the REDD microphone represents- “This project has been a dream come true. Abbey Road and Chandler Limited co-developing the first new microphone to feature the EMI logo in over half a century is a historic moment for the studios. Itʼs incredible to think Wade has been able to incorporate the classic EMI REDD.47 preamp design into a single microphone unit - this is a game change, the first of its kind. It was really fun trying out different ideas and capsules with the Abbey Road engineers and watching the microphone come to life. The end result is truly a thing of beauty.”

The REDD Microphone was designed to handle a variety of source material, including: vocals, strings, piano, drums, bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitars.

Features available from the microphone body, include: REDD.47 Mic Amplifier, providing nine gain selections, from +4 to +33db in the ʻNORMʼ position, extended gain and punch in ʻDRIVEʼ mode for more tonal and coloration possibilities, switchable Cardioid/Omni patterns, 10db Pad, and Phase reverse. Continuous output and low-contour control are accessible from the high-quality external power supply.

Abbey Roadʼs former Chief Engineer, Peter Cobbin added- “During the development I have had the opportunity to road test this mic on the best of acoustic applications. Abbey Road has one hell of a mic collection and by making comparisons to other legendary and vintage microphones has given us a serious benchmark to work to.

Typically for recording an artist like Sting I would use 3 classic microphones and choose the best. For recording rare Stradivarius cellos worth millions I would reach for something really special.

On almost every application from acoustic guitars, hand percussion, vocal artists to full symphonic orchestras, in my comparative testing The REDD mic shines above them all.

Switchable full bodied Omni and Cardioid patterns in conjunction with the on-board preamp and tubes allows my recordings to have a deep, warm and rich sonic character. But this well-rounded sound also displays exceptional clarity and detail, which is so compelling especially for recording soloists.
This microphone literally glows and has already become part of my serious audio arsenal.”

The REDD Microphone has been in development for years, and Chandler Limitedʼs Founder and Chief Designer, Wade Goeke, provided insight into the inspiration for the unique microphone, along with some of itʼs unique features- “My initial microphone designs began about six years ago with my concept of including a mic preamp and a microphone in a single unit. Later I began thinking how appropriate it would be to have an Abbey Road microphone that uses historical EMI circuitry and paid homage to those sounds, while at the same time pushing the boundaries of microphone technology. Being that many of the most classic microphones were made famous by being used at Abbey Road, I felt they deserved a microphone of their own that stood on even ground with past designs. The REDD Microphone has been tested side by side withe mics used to record the Beatles and Pink Floyd, and the results have been beyond expectation.”

Abbey Road Studiosʼ Technical Services Engineer, Lester Smith, whom has maintained the studiosʼ microphones since the ʻ70s, including classics used by The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Adele, Frank Ocean and countless motion pictures, gave his take on the new addition to historic studiosʼ mic locker- “After the war, Abbey Road bought the first commercial ʻcondenser microphonesʼ from Neumann in West Berlin. The U47 and U48 valve microphones were loved and used by the many pop groups, singers and classical artists. In fact, these original microphones are still the most popular and in use every day at the studios. Abbey Road always wanted our own special microphone, so consequently worked with Chandler Limited to create this brand new valve microphone. Itʼs similar in appearance to the original U47 but incorporating a new circuit design and diaphragm together with the EMI designed REDD.47 valve amplifier from the ʻ60s. The result is the ʻChandler/Abbey Road REDD Microphoneʼ, beautiful in style, sound and quality.”

What comes in the REDD Microphone kit?
REDD Microphone, External PSU, Shockmount, 25ʼ Mogami microphone cable, and a custom molded flight case, featuring high-density rigid foam are included.

When can you you get the Chandler Limited REDD Microphone?
The REDD Microphone is available for immediate purchase. U.S. street price: $4,499.


To learn more about Chandler Limitedʼs REDD Microphone visit: http://chandlerlimited.com/redd- microphone
Attached Thumbnails
Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone-chandler_limited_redd_microphone_banner_pr_2b2.jpg  
Old 21st November 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
Brilliant. This is like something I would doodle in a notebook "Wouldn't it be cool if somebody could build me this. . . . ", then crazy old Chandler builds it. Wade is genuinely one of the most interesting designers in pro audio. I may have to buy this thing.
Old 21st November 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Nico@SunnySide's Avatar
 

Waow. Aarghff. Drooling. The upcoming new year's resolution of hitting the brakes on gear purchase I see in front of me. Flying out the window in advance.

Congrats Wade and team for developing such a tempting & novel product.
And thank heavens this is not an umpteenth clone.

The question is not "do I want one?" But "how MANY do I want?"

Can't wait to hear it.
Old 21st November 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Looking forward to this one.
Old 21st November 2016
  #5
Here for the gear
Can't wait to hear it!
Old 22nd November 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

Another product to lust over.

Chandler. Right at the top of the heap.
Old 22nd November 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
After seeing and hearing the Waves Abbey Road vinyl plugin, I was starting to think the value of the Abbey Road endorsement had run it's course and gotten played out
This looks really interesting and knowing Chandler has a hand in it means a lot to me. I'd be curious who and where the microphone itself is being built..
Old 22nd November 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
This looks really interesting and knowing Chandler has a hand in it means a lot to me. I'd be curious who and where the microphone itself is being built..
The REDD Microphone like all Chandler Limited products are built by hand in Shell Rock, Iowa; Wade has been working on the design for years.
Old 22nd November 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
zimv20's Avatar
 

sheesh, just add it to the list of Chandler gear i'd like to have. i love my TG-2 to bits and it's getting lonely.
Old 22nd November 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Has Chandler ever attempted a microphone design before? Seems a big step from their previous offerings. I love my TG2..I can't wait to hear this.
Awesome news !!
Old 22nd November 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall View Post
Has Chandler ever attempted a microphone design before? Seems a big step from their previous offerings. I love my TG2..I can't wait to hear this.
Awesome news !!
Hi Gene, Wade has been working on mic designs in secret for years, testing, waiting, evaluating until he got it just right, plus tested against Abbey Roads historic collection too. The REDD Microphone is not for the faint of heart; large sounding with big lows and an smooth top-end.

'DRIVE' mode is like having a second microphone; tantamount to what 'Superfuse' means to the RS124 Compressor.

The platinum membrane capsule married to the REDD.47 just works! You're driving the capsule signal with the preamp in that close proximity, right upfront, makes a difference; plug it directly into your converter.
Old 22nd November 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
GeneHall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Hi Gene, Wade has been working on mic designs in secret for years, testing, waiting, evaluating until he got it just right, plus tested against Abbey Roads historic collection too. The REDD Microphone is not for the faint of heart; large sounding with big lows and an smooth top-end.

'DRIVE' mode is like having a second microphone; tantamount to what 'Superfuse' means to the RS124 Compressor.

The platinum membrane capsule married to the REDD.47 just works! You're driving the capsule signal with the preamp in that close proximity, right upfront, makes a difference; plug it directly into your converter.
Well, now I just want it....
Old 22nd November 2016
  #13
Old 22nd November 2016
  #14
Here for the gear
 

What is the tube set? EF86 and ECC88?
Is there another tube between the capsule and pentode as impedance converter? Or capsule hits the pentode with no xformer in between?
Old 23rd November 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
Wade

Do that thing where you give us your personal insight into the new gear. I'm kind of mad at you for building this, 'cause I was thinking about financing a new car, but now I just want to buy this mic and record white album sounding songs all winter.
Old 23rd November 2016
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Congrats on the new release Wade! We're excited to put this in front of some talented musicians! Wow! Can't wait to fire one of these up!
Old 23rd November 2016
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

So much new and great gear I can hardly decide what I can't afford next.
Old 25th November 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
gutr2's Avatar
 

This looks amazing! And so good to know Wade is behind it - can't wait to hear it.
Old 25th November 2016
  #19
Gear Head
 

Its really heartwarming to see a new mic with an EMI badge

so very excited for this. keep going chandler!!!!
Old 28th November 2016
  #20
Here for the gear
 
Fummunda's Avatar
It sounds fantastic, and I'll vouch for the typically superb Chandler construction.
Old 5th December 2016
  #21
Just wanted to pop in to say that Chandler customer support is second to none. Very down to earth, reasonable, and helpful folks who consistently provide amazing tools/toys. I've talked with Judy and Adam on multiple occasions before, and every time it has been a pleasure. As of today, I own waaaay too much Chandler (is that even possible?) for my small but successful business.

Speaking of which, Adam really took his time with me a few days ago. He answered most of my questions, and got me very excited about the new REDD mic... So much, that I immediately placed an order via Sweetwater (I'm the second order!). Should arrive in a few weeks. Thanks man!

Completely off-topic, but first thing I do, I'm going to try it with and without my BAE... next, I'm going to try to get the "revolution" guitar sound using it with my rack version redd pre... then maybe plug it into the tg channel and just to hear what an EMI franken-channel sounds like... jeez, im excited about this mic.
Old 6th December 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
Where is the capsule being built?
Old 6th December 2016
  #23
Lives for gear
 
adam_f's Avatar
Hi all, I've posted this on the other thread, to help add clarity where I am able to, see below; again I sincerely hope this is helpful.

Wade felt that Abbey Road, whom helped make some 'classic' mics well known, deserved their own tube microphone. If we were going to do it, it had to be something that could rival the great microphones that we've all heard on countless records from the studio and would be unique to them. He thought, to employ his mic & preamp in one unit idea, what better tribute to Abbey Road, than to use the EMI REDD.47 circuit for this endeavor.

The REDD Microphone is not a clone of any other microphone, it has its own sound; the body is only a nod to the classics we feel it's on par with. Being that the REDD Microphone is not a clone of anything, I feel comparisons to clones are not apropos.

Sound wise, if anything, it fits in the vintage sound category not modern.

The 6 micron platinum membrane capsule, which is custom made for us, is from Europe, handmade and hand-milled, and around $500 each.

There are indeed two tubes inside the body.

The circuit board is gold traced and we use through-hole components, not surface-mount.

We build our microphones by hand in Shell Rock IA.

If anything, I feel the microphone should be more expensive.

If you are seriously considering the REDD Microphone, please do PM me.


For fun...here's a picture of the REDD Microphone being tested on Sting at Abbey Road against one of their historic U47s...(photo by P. Cobbin).


Last edited by adam_f; 30th December 2016 at 04:33 PM..
Old 9th December 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Hi all, I've posted this on the other thread, to help add clarity where I am able to, see below; again I sincerely hope this is helpful.

Wade felt that Abbey Road, whom helped make some 'classic' mics well known, deserved their own tube microphone. If we were going to do it, it had to be something that could rival the great microphones that we've all heard on countless records from the studio and would be unique to them. He thought, to employ his mic & preamp in one unit idea, what better tribute to Abbey Road, than to use the EMI REDD.47 circuit for this endeavor.

The REDD Microphone is not a clone of any other microphone, it has its own sound; the body is only a nod to the classics we feel it's on par with. Being that the REDD Microphone is not a clone of anything, I feel comparisons to clones are not apropos.

Sound wise, if anything, it fits in the vintage sound category not modern.

The 6 micron platinum membrane capsule, which is custom made for us, is from Europe, handmade and hand-milled, and around 500 Euros each.

There are indeed two tubes inside the body.

The circuit board is gold traced and we use through-hole components, not surface-mount.

We build our microphones by hand in Shell Rock IA.

If anything, I feel the microphone should be more expensive.

If you are seriously considering the REDD Microphone, please do PM me.


For fun...here's a picture of the REDD Microphone being tested on Sting at Abbey Road against one of their historic U47s...(photo by P. Cobbin).

Fantastic.
Old 10th December 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
For some reason I'm imagining plugging this directly into my Retro STA Level then into my HEDD 192 (touch of tape FX .... just a touch) would make me rather happy and smile a lot.

I wonder how it would be different to my Wunder CM7/BAE 1073D or CM7/Millennia tube pre?
Old 12th December 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

I'm excited about this mic. It sure is an innovative approach - for which I see many advantages. A bold move. We all love the classic mics (for which there are many clones) but I get the feeling this is a new classic in the making! If Wade made it - you know its going to sound really good. Can't wait to hear it / try it.
Old 15th December 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Hamburg58's Avatar
 

Got to try the new mic today up against my Telefunken USA U48. I can't post audio, but I'll try and explain as best I can !

On vocal. Immediately noticeable extended low end compared to my U48. That could be many factors with my U48 since it's made by Telefunken USA, I have shot my 48 out with other vintage U47's and it held its own, the low end between my Telefunken USA and other vintage U47's was never an issue. The REDD seems to have quite a nice bump down there. The midrange was sweet but not as detailed as the U48. There was a higher extended top end that exceeded the top end on my U48 (mine has a Thiersch PVC M7). It wasn't the type of high end perhaps you would get on an M269 comparing to something like a U67, but something maybe a little lower like 8-12K. The vocalist reacted to the mic being very impressed. He's someone I've done 2 records with always using the 48 for vocals.

On acoustic guitar, very much the same. A larger amount of low end than my U48, even a few feet back. It didn't sound like too much low end, having recorded acoustics with large diaphragm tube mics, knowing they can be boomy.

The DRIVE feature is nice. It's a subtle but effective tone that pushes the tube preamp. I can see it being very useful on something like a mono drum room or front of kick mic or a bass cab. The vocal with the DRIVE engaged was cool too, just more subtle than I expected.

All in all a very impressive microphone. For the $, I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful in their studios. I certainly intend to have one or 2 !
Old 16th December 2016
  #28
Gear Nut
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
For some reason I'm imagining plugging this directly into my Retro STA Level then into my HEDD 192 (touch of tape FX .... just a touch) would make me rather happy and smile a lot.

I wonder how it would be different to my Wunder CM7/BAE 1073D or CM7/Millennia tube pre?
You have a wild imagination
Old 23rd December 2016
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
Got to try the new mic today up against my Telefunken USA U48. I can't post audio, but I'll try and explain as best I can !

On vocal. Immediately noticeable extended low end compared to my U48. That could be many factors with my U48 since it's made by Telefunken USA, I have shot my 48 out with other vintage U47's and it held its own, the low end between my Telefunken USA and other vintage U47's was never an issue. The REDD seems to have quite a nice bump down there. The midrange was sweet but not as detailed as the U48. There was a higher extended top end that exceeded the top end on my U48 (mine has a Thiersch PVC M7). It wasn't the type of high end perhaps you would get on an M269 comparing to something like a U67, but something maybe a little lower like 8-12K. The vocalist reacted to the mic being very impressed. He's someone I've done 2 records with always using the 48 for vocals.

On acoustic guitar, very much the same. A larger amount of low end than my U48, even a few feet back. It didn't sound like too much low end, having recorded acoustics with large diaphragm tube mics, knowing they can be boomy.

The DRIVE feature is nice. It's a subtle but effective tone that pushes the tube preamp. I can see it being very useful on something like a mono drum room or front of kick mic or a bass cab. The vocal with the DRIVE engaged was cool too, just more subtle than I expected.

All in all a very impressive microphone. For the $, I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful in their studios. I certainly intend to have one or 2 !

Can you go into more detail about the detail on the Mids? What kind of vocals/vocalist were you recording? Any opinions on the mic for spoken word?
Old 26th December 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
Wow that looks nice!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump