Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone - Page 6 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler Limited introduces the REDD microphone
Old 7th May 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
The Manley Ref C and the M149 combo would cover a ton of ground, you would have smooth and bright covered, if you work with many different artists I would rather have these two over just a REDD mic. I've used both many hundreds of times and the M149/Ref C will provide quality.

Now then, I predict the REDD mic will be the "it" Pop, Hip Hop mic over the next few years, so having a REDD could be a good thing, only a demo in your spot will tell you. The REDD is similar to the C800G and Manley Ref C, as you have the Ref C already, for half the price of the REDD you can add a used M149. It's hard for me to recommend you just throw cash around today, especially when you have a Ref already and know it. I will also say maybe you are bored with the Ref C and the REDD could be inspiration for you, again a REDD demo would tell you if that was the case.

I personally found that the M149 delivered the best results on a ISA 430 while the Ref C was a vintage Neve 1084/1073/1272 pre into a tube comp. ISA 430's ridiculously go for around $1200 on Ebay these days, Focusrite destroyed their brand name, but the ISA 430 MK I is a killer bang for the buck strip, but anything Focusrite after the original 430 is to be avoided IMHO.

What I found working nightly in major studio's was I always had 2 mic's up at all times, a modern C800G/Ref C/VM1 type mic and a U47/U67/Geffel smooth vintage type mic. Between those two I covered almost ever artist coming in fast. I find mic's as tools need to help you with the job at hand, knowing what the job is, is very important. I currently have a Horch Rm2J for a smooth classic sound teamed with a Brauner VM1 for the modern bright sound.

As always, to each their own.
Thank so much for taking to the time and going into detail.
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Guru

I don't think the Redd sounds like a Sony c800.
At all.
Old 7th May 2017
SEED78
I disagree - someone shared a shootout with me between the Redd and the C800g and they were def in same ballpark. Obviously not all bright and detailed tube mics sound 100% alike, but they where so close I'd see no reason to have both if a budget was tight and you already had a C800g.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I don't think the Redd sounds like a Sony c800.
At all.
To each their own and we all have our opinions, but I have zero problem grouping the REDD, C800G and Manley Ref in the same ballpark. Yes, each have their own particular sound but IMHO they are way more similar to each other than they are different, and all 3 are considered modern sounding bright mic's.
Gear Guru

Quote:
To each their own and we all have our opinions, but I have zero problem grouping the REDD, C800G and Manley Ref in the same ballpark. Yes, each have their own particular sound but IMHO they are way more similar to each other than they are different, and all 3 are considered modern sounding bright mic's.
Having been using the mic daily for months In normal mode it doesn't sound super modern or bright to me.
The bock 251 is closer to modern bright to my ears.
The Redd sounds nothing like the bock.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considered to be a modern sounding bright mic by whom? I've never heard the REDD described this way. I just heard this from someone who deals with a ton of mics, and has experience with the Chandler "it's about as far from a modern voiced mic as you can get in an LDC". If course, this quote means nothing to anyone, but you're the first I've heard to describe the REDD as a modern bright mic.
Old 7th May 2017
SEED78
To me it's detailed, and characterful.

Still bright compared to the classic Nuemann's etc though (people's main ref) - def closer to subjectively 'modern' mics, but not in a negative way at all (consider its price inc preamp compared to Sony). But that's a good thing, there are a million mics trying to to sound like UXX...

Like Will said, it's going to be a classic!
Old 8th May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Considered to be a modern sounding bright mic by whom? I've never heard the REDD described this way. I just heard this from someone who deals with a ton of mics, and has experience with the Chandler "it's about as far from a modern voiced mic as you can get in an LDC". If course, this quote means nothing to anyone, but you're the first I've heard to describe the REDD as a modern bright mic.
It not a "modern" "bright" mic.
I've had it next to u47's,48's,67's 269's km56's etc.
To my ears It leans more toward the Neumann camp than say the C800 or AKG 251,C12 camp.
The contour mode can give it more presence but never gets brash or hard.
Old 6th June 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
Posting again for easy access and reference in the thread. This is an capture using the mic directly into the converter.

MONO MALE VCL/AC GTR

This track - "Time Never Moves Slower," written and performed by singer songwriter Ben Danaher, was recorded using the Chandler Limited EMI / Abbey Road Studios REDD Microphone, in mono, simultaneous vocal and guitar performance, captured directly into Pro Tools at Ryan Hewitt's house of Blues Studio C, in Nashville TN.

The performance was captured with the REDD Microphone placed three feet from the artist, and pointed at the artist's chest.

Microphone Settings

Mode: Drive
Gain: +27db
Pattern: Cardioid
Voicing: Standard
Output: Unity

UAD EMT 140 plate reverb added for ambience

HI, do you found it also suitable to Brass instruments in "normal" mode may be? I Know there are too many options to brass, i just want to know. I'm very interested in the redd mike.

Thanks
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mativas View Post
HI, do you found it also suitable to Brass instruments in "normal" mode may be? I Know there are too many options to brass, i just want to know. I'm very interested in the redd mike.

Thanks
Not Adam but I find it works on pretty much everything.
Vox,guitars drums percussion etc
Amazing mic.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
I used it on Alto Sax last week for a session. About 2'sh feet away and loved it.
Here for the gear

excellent! Thanks for your comments
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks
Hi Mativas, it will work nicely on Brass.
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Great Adam!

I just ordered mine
Old 7th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great Adam!

I just ordered mine
Awesome! Hit me up when you get it...
Old 30th June 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
It not a "modern" "bright" mic.
I've had it next to u47's,48's,67's 269's km56's etc.
To my ears It leans more toward the Neumann camp than say the C800 or AKG 251,C12 camp.
The contour mode can give it more presence but never gets brash or hard.
Not having hands on experience with any of the vintage Neumanns, I still want to agree with this. My AR-51 sounds scooped in the mids comparatively speaking. The REDD fills in the mids in my voice so nicely. Made me feel that the AR51 was basically missing half my voice. ymmv of course.
Old 30th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Not having hands on experience with any of the vintage Neumanns, I still want to agree with this. My AR-51 sounds scooped in the mids comparatively speaking. The REDD fills in the mids in my voice so nicely. Made me feel that the AR51 was basically missing half my voice. ymmv of course.
And of course it's all about context.
Sometimes my sony c37a or maybe the shure sm7 is the preferred tool as it's not overly big or colored sounding but just "sits & fits" takes eq and compression whatever well.ie works with everything else in a mix.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone had the chance to listen to 2 of them side by side? Heard 2 here in Perth this week and they sounded a bit different. One was soft and airy (possibly the best mic I have ever heard) and the other was harder sounding with a bit of a 1k boost. Almost sounded boxy next to the other one. One was serial in the 90’s and one in the 240’s. If I was going to be dropping that kind of cash I want to know that it sounds like the soft one so I was wondering what factors could be at play here. Tubes being the first thing. They are all going to sound slightly different but I would not expect that much. Also does the mic soften over time as one was a demo and one was brand new. Appreciate any thoughts on this cheers

Last edited by Callison; 22nd October 2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old 22nd October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Anyone had the chance to listen to 2 of them side by side? Heard 2 here in Perth this week and they sounded a bit different. One was soft and airy (possibly the best mic I have ever heard) and the other was harder sounding with a bit of a 1k boost. Almost sounded boxy next to the other one. One was serial in the 90’s and one in the 240’s. If I was going to be dropping that kind of cash I want to know that it sounds like the soft one so I was wondering what factors could be at play here. Tubes being the first thing. They are all going to sound slightly different but I would not expect that much. Also does the mic soften over time as one was a demo and one was brand new. Appreciate any thoughts on this cheers
Hi Callison, tubes will vary (sometimes eye opening) and can also be mercurial day to day or over time...we’ve had clients getting stereo pairs and Decca trees, for which we offer a matching service to get everything tight. That said, I’ve also been in the presence disparate serial numbered unmatched mics that sound identical. Please feel free to email me [email protected] if you have further questions.

Last edited by adam_f; 22nd October 2017 at 04:10 PM..
Old 25th January 2018
I got a chance to demo the Chandler Limited REDD Microphone. Hear it on male crooning & classical vocals.

📝 Reply