The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
soothe: a dynamic resonance suppressor plugin released
Old 26th October 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Software soothe: (Mac/Win) a dynamic resonance suppressor plugin

Hello gearslutz!

Windows version released! Reintroductory pricing until Monday the 5th of December!

oek-sound has released soothe,
a dynamic spectral audio processor for suppressing resonances in the
mid and high frequencies. soothe saves the sound engineer from having
to manually notch problematic frequencies often present especially in
vocals and other close miced sources. Sporting unique sonic capabilities,
flexible parametrisation and modern, informative GPU accelerated user
interface, soothe paves the way as the first in oek-sound's range of
novel audio processors.

"soothe is a useful and unique addition to sound engineers' palette
of tools. Even prior to its release, it has already found its place on
the mastering chain of a number of international and front line national
releases, giving me all the reason to believe in its success.",
oek-sound's founder Olli Keskinen says.

soothe works by automatically detecting the resonances in the audio
material and then applying a reduction that matches the input signal.
It can be used to achieve very transparent de-essing and dynamic
equalisation, or to fix often encountered problems: excessive handling
noise and fretboard noises on acoustic guitar and double bass, overly
bright eletric guitar tracks, whistling drum and cymbal close mics.
The amount of audible artefacts is minimised, and the process doesn't
introduce cross-over artefacts or pre-ringing.

The initial release is for Mac OSX as 32/64 bit VST, AU and AAX,
with the Windows version currenly under development to follow shortly.

Introductory price of 99€ (reg 149€) until 6th of November.
No dongle required. Free 14 days trial.



Further reading, downloads and trial:
oeksound.com
Old 26th October 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Great idea! When are you planning the release of windows version? I can see you said "shortly", does it mean this year, or the next? :-)

Last edited by Sonic_Beast; 26th October 2016 at 11:40 AM..
Old 26th October 2016
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Great idea! When are you planning the release of windows version? I can see you said "shortly", does it mean this year, or the next? :-)
Thanks! Haha, very good question. Maybe I should've said asap, I'm aiming to getting it out before christmas.
Old 26th October 2016
  #4
Gear Nut
I tested today .
Honestly, amazing and Piece of cake
I think it must be owned by all sound engineers
I’ll Buy it
Old 26th October 2016
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmz View Post
I tested today .
Honestly, amazing and Piece of cake
I think it must be owned by all sound engineers
I’ll Buy it
Hi ahmz,
Thanks for the feedback!
Happy to know that the two years I've spent on developing this have been useful.
Old 26th October 2016
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

This looks very interesting, I will demo for sure when I get a bit of time.
Old 26th October 2016
  #7
WTF? Where the h ell has been this plugin all my life? Just test it for a voiceover and damn!!!! Instant magic. I told me to stop the GAS until Black Friday but I can't resist
Old 27th October 2016
  #8
is there a video for us with windows?

Thanks,
Old 27th October 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Looks very interesting.

I can't try the demo for a few hours.
Specs say up to OSX 10.11.

Is it going to work on 10.12.1 ?

cheers

Last edited by Beatworld; 27th October 2016 at 02:47 AM..
Old 27th October 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
tkaitkai's Avatar
 

This looks awesome!

Would you mind explaining how this differs from a more traditional dynamic EQ or de-esser?

This sounds like it would be extremely useful for some rather harsh overhead tracks I received recently.
Old 27th October 2016
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
dariva's Avatar
I've needed this since forever.

Waiting eagerly for the windows version. Is there an email list I could subscribe to?

+1 for a video

EDIT: Could someone compare this to Melda's Spectral Dynamics? Are these using similar processes?
Old 27th October 2016
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Looks very interesting.

I can't try the demo for a few hours.
Specs say up to OSX 10.11.

Is it going to work on 10.12.1 ?

cheers
Hey!
We've yet to find out! There shouldn't be any problems, but with Apple updating their SDK's, one might never know. Let me know if it doesn't run, and I'll get to work fixing it.

Olli
Old 27th October 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
This one's looking good and up my alley! Will be checking asap.

[Ihan kingi homma; pistin teille mailia ]
Old 27th October 2016
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
This looks awesome!

Would you mind explaining how this differs from a more traditional dynamic EQ or de-esser?

This sounds like it would be extremely useful for some rather harsh overhead tracks I received recently.
With traditional dynamic EQ you have to dial in the frequencies and amounts that should be cut. soothe deducts this based on the material and general overall parameters, so it can have hundreds of simultaneous bands.

De-esser typically works as two band compressor, the control signal is based on the overall level. soothe works with unlimited amount of bands and the control signal is the point-likeness of the spesific frequency. So soothe will remove the whistling tone from s without affecting the noise-like components too much.

It was designed to eliminate the harshness, so give it a go!
Old 27th October 2016
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
I've needed this since forever.

Waiting eagerly for the windows version. Is there an email list I could subscribe to?

+1 for a video

EDIT: Could someone compare this to Melda's Spectral Dynamics? Are these using similar processes?
There is news letter signup on the soothe product page. Sorry to hide it, I try to make it stand out more!

When doing the R&D for soothe, I checked Melda's Spectral Dynamics as a starting point for it. I think Melda works more as a spectral compander, remapping spectrum's dynamic range on per frequency basis. Of course I can't be sure as I'm not able to have a look inside. It is a great piece of software, but I found it to be useful elsewhere.
Old 27th October 2016
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
WTF? Where the h ell has been this plugin all my life? Just test it for a voiceover and damn!!!! Instant magic. I told me to stop the GAS until Black Friday but I can't resist
Hi!

Very happy to hear you liked it!

Olli
Old 27th October 2016
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Ah, you people are correct, a video has to be done!
Old 27th October 2016
  #18
Looking to the plugin in a 24" screen at 1m the GUI seems a little bit small. A bigger one or resizable could be a great implementation.
Old 27th October 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Please, harry up with the windows release...There is an army of us waiting to through some money at you.
Old 27th October 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 

Damn, after trying it on three sources my wallet started to open automatically. Wooow, now this is something revolutionary, IMHO much more useful than Acon Defilter or Zynaptiq Unfilter. I wanted these two to do what this does, but they worked differently. This actually does the perfect notching work to get rid of the resonances and the detection is superb. I am amazed!
Old 27th October 2016
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Does this effect apply different resonance correction that is unique for L + R channels?

Or is the resonances detected using stereo summed to mono so that both LR channels gets exactly the same frequency response changes?

Or does it apply different resonance correction that is unique for mid + side channels?
Old 27th October 2016
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Looking to the plugin in a 24" screen at 1m the GUI seems a little bit small. A bigger one or resizable could be a great implementation.
A very good point, thanks for the idea!
Old 27th October 2016
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedinhopy View Post
Does this effect apply different resonance correction that is unique for L + R channels?

Or is the resonances detected using stereo summed to mono so that both LR channels gets exactly the same frequency response changes?

Or does it apply different resonance correction that is unique for mid + side channels?
When running a stereo instance of the plugin, the stereolink-parameter controls this. On 100% it will use same processing for both channels, and on 0% it will be dual mono. You can adjust it to your liking, the dual mono will sound narrower but will be more effective. At this point the reduction graph won't visualise this, it was simply too heavy to plot two graphs simultaneously!

M/S mode has been requested.
Old 27th October 2016
  #24
Gear Maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Damn, after trying it on three sources my wallet started to open automatically. Wooow, now this is something revolutionary, IMHO much more useful than Acon Defilter or Zynaptiq Unfilter. I wanted these two to do what this does, but they worked differently. This actually does the perfect notching work to get rid of the resonances and the detection is superb. I am amazed!
Very happy to hear, thanks!
Old 27th October 2016
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Fanu's Avatar
Pulled out a pretty horribly resonant funk break that is my favorite when it comes resonant testing.
Soothe totally wiped out the resonances – in a very musical way. I'm seriously impressed.
Already feels good to say this'll be one for the toolbox!
Old 27th October 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
balanceman's Avatar
 

I haven't tried the demo yet but immediately wondered - can this be used to INCREASE as well as decrease resonances? I would think it could be used to great effect to enhance the character of an instrument, etc...
I'm heading into the studio early today so I can demo your plugin. Great idea!
Have been playing with Izotope's free Neutrino for a couple of weeks. It's interesting swell.
Such great software coming out. Thanks!!
Old 27th October 2016
  #27
Gear Addict
 

This looks promising, looking forward to Windows version
Old 27th October 2016
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Keith Moore's Avatar
 

Video Demo?

Gonna demo this today, but are there any video demos?
Old 27th October 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Mania's Avatar
 

How would this compare functionally to the Sknote Soundbrigade? SoundBrigade
Old 27th October 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Wow! This plugin is really great - I spend so much time pulling down harsh resonances on vocals - this makes it so simple! Great graphic design too - I'm really into these Valhalla and Fabfilter style clean graphics .

-Brian
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump