The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IK Multimedia unveil MODO BASS - the 1st physically modelled electric bass for Mac/PC Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

Here's my latest tune w/ modo

Not done mixing, but decent idea of how it fits in a mix
Old 18th June 2017
Gear Maniac

@bgood — Your tracks convinced me to buy a copy of MODO because they demonstrated how convincingly the bass can sit in a home-brew mix. The $199 upgrade price is an especially good value if you already own a IK product valued at at least $99.
Old 18th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
@bgood — Your tracks convinced me to buy a copy of MODO because they demonstrated how convincingly the bass can sit in a home-brew mix. The $199 upgrade price is an especially good value if you already own a IK product valued at at least $99.

Cool!

My workflow with virtual bass instruments is:

Play part
Go back and add trills, slides, etc in piano roll
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

I had an older tune that had a less than stellar electric bass recording with poor intonation. I converted the track's audio to MIDI using Melodyne, then cleaned up the MIDI for MODO. Drum replacement for bass, and it worked great.

The "left-hand" control in this plug-in, along with the ability to set mute, force string, and "noise" are fantastic. You can get good results quickly or MidiTweak towards perfection.

I do wish there was an acoustic upright!

Also, there is nothing in the manual regarding MIDI velocity. I'm assuming velocity response curves need to be set in the DAW, but are there recommended ranges for each style (pick, finger, slap)? I'm finding medium velocities are working best for most stuff...
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had an older tune that had a less than stellar electric bass recording with poor intonation. I converted the track's audio to MIDI using Melodyne, then cleaned up the MIDI for MODO. Drum replacement for bass, and it worked great.

The "left-hand" control in this plug-in, along with the ability to set mute, force string, and "noise" are fantastic. You can get good results quickly or MidiTweak towards perfection.

Also, there is nothing in the manual regarding MIDI velocity. I'm assuming velocity response curves need to be set in the DAW, but are there recommended ranges for each style (pick, finger, slap)? I'm finding medium velocities are working best for most stuff...
I've done the same thing with melodyne! Smart
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

How do you use the left hand control?
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac

After I have the main bass part where I like it, I go back and listen for anything that sounds odd, unnatural or needs embellishment. Then I loop that portion and experiment holding different modifiers. As an example, I had a bass part that played half notes up a scale. MODO naturally played the last couple of notes on a higher string and sounded wrong a little unnatural to me, so I forced them to play on the same string and they sounded much better. Easy to then layer the modifier note to effect just the bass notes needed. It sounds like you're doing something similar...

When I have this time this week I plan on experimenting with only MODO DI output, and running that through my favorite bass plug (Cerebrus) with Redwire BR-15 IRs, and also trying some reamping through a Helix floor unit (which has some tasty bass simulations).
Old 20th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
After I have the main bass part where I like it, I go back and listen for anything that sounds odd, unnatural or needs embellishment. Then I loop that portion and experiment holding different modifiers. As an example, I had a bass part that played half notes up a scale. MODO naturally played the last couple of notes on a higher string and sounded wrong a little unnatural to me, so I forced them to play on the same string and they sounded much better. Easy to then layer the modifier note to effect just the bass notes needed. It sounds like you're doing something similar...

When I have this time this week I plan on experimenting with only MODO DI output, and running that through my favorite bass plug (Cerebrus) with Redwire BR-15 IRs, and also trying some reamping through a Helix floor unit (which has some tasty bass simulations).
I've di'd it out through my la610 mkii, api, neve preamps... Outboard comps... Even through combos and my one real bass rig (ampeg). Sounds great.

Also sounds great "reamped" through amplitube
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

This Japanese youtube video is very useful for learning how to embellish MODO using CC and keyswitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woca...Y#t=466.740133

The audio is in Japanese but it includes good subtitles, but you'll need to have one finger on the pause button.

There's another decent tutorial on youtube, but its in Portuguese with no subtitles!

I wish IK would provide some in-depth tutorials, especially on using the Control stuff within DAWs; this is where the plug-in really shines when tweaking convincing bass parts. They provides plenty of videos of pro keyboardists playing MODO live. Yeah, they sound fantastic and are surely effective for selling MODO. But what about us mere mortals in their home studios who bought it? Teach us to fish.

Last edited by stonelark; 23rd June 2017 at 01:47 AM..
Old 22nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This Japanese youtube video is very useful for learning how to embellish MODO using CC and keyswitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woca...Y#t=466.740133

The audio is in Japanese but it includes good subtitles, but you'll need to have one finger on the pause button.

I wish IK would provide some in-depth tutorials, especially on using the Control stuff within DAWs; this is where the plug-in really shines when tweaking convincing bass parts. They provides plenty of videos of pro keyboardists playing MODO live. Yeah, they sound fantastic and are surely effective for selling MODO. But what about us mere mortals in their home studios who bought it? Teach us to fish.
Thank you for posting this video for the Gearslutz audience to view and thank you for the suggestion which I will relay to the team.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

It is indeed a good instrument. However I noticed the playing style a little limiting.

As a bass player myself there are more subtler ways I can hit those strings that aren't really covered in the 3 styles.

I could pluck the strings a little bit more that does not sound like it's Finger or Pick. I can also switch between this and a Pull-Out and Slap quite quickly. Then there is Thumb style of playing.

So what I propose is IK looks a bit further into more flexible ways of playing different articulation. But at also being able to customise how we access it by keyswitching, controller or velocity switching.

To some extent velocity switching seems more natural because we generally like to use different articulation to accent certain notes as we play.

Additionally, I tried to recreate my own Jazz Bass as an interesting experiment so I could compare, but also use it for rough sketching of ideas. I got a rough approximation, however the main issue was you MODO doesn't offer the same humbucker setup.

Yes you read correct. I have a 5-string Satin J-Bass with humbuckers with a 4-way switch. One of those modes emulated the traditional Jazz pickup setup. When all pickuos are on it sounds like a Jazz with a bit more grunt and edge.

I don't expect IK to really emulate this, I was just offering my experiences with MODO.

Overall I'm quite happy with it though, despite a few limitations. It covers the basic styles well enough, but I simply can't play it with the same variation I get from my real bass. So it's really only suitable for a narrower range of playing styles.

It would be nice to see improvements made to articulation.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
It is indeed a good instrument. However I noticed the playing style a little limiting.

As a bass player myself there are more subtler ways I can hit those strings that aren't really covered in the 3 styles.

I could pluck the strings a little bit more that does not sound like it's Finger or Pick. I can also switch between this and a Pull-Out and Slap quite quickly. Then there is Thumb style of playing.

So what I propose is IK looks a bit further into more flexible ways of playing different articulation. But at also being able to customise how we access it by keyswitching, controller or velocity switching.

To some extent velocity switching seems more natural because we generally like to use different articulation to accent certain notes as we play.

Additionally, I tried to recreate my own Jazz Bass as an interesting experiment so I could compare, but also use it for rough sketching of ideas. I got a rough approximation, however the main issue was you MODO doesn't offer the same humbucker setup.

Yes you read correct. I have a 5-string Satin J-Bass with humbuckers with a 4-way switch. One of those modes emulated the traditional Jazz pickup setup. When all pickuos are on it sounds like a Jazz with a bit more grunt and edge.

I don't expect IK to really emulate this, I was just offering my experiences with MODO.

Overall I'm quite happy with it though, despite a few limitations. It covers the basic styles well enough, but I simply can't play it with the same variation I get from my real bass. So it's really only suitable for a narrower range of playing styles.

It would be nice to see improvements made to articulation.
Not all instruments are as readily captured in virtual instruments my friend... Keyboards and drums are like pre-school compared to bass, gtrs or any horn

I'm always impressed when someone can play a virtual bass dynamically... I'm talking articulations. I've always just added all that stuff in later!

The Frankenstein bass concept in modo is one of the most innovative thing I've seen
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Not all instruments are as readily captured in virtual instruments my friend... Keyboards and drums are like pre-school compared to bass, gtrs or any horn

I'm always impressed when someone can play a virtual bass dynamically... I'm talking articulations. I've always just added all that stuff in later!

The Frankenstein bass concept in modo is one of the most innovative thing I've seen
True enough.

I'm just offering my feedback both as a competent keyboard and bass player. There are things I can do on bass I believe is achievable in a plugin, especially if it's algorithmic.

I just think they need to know where to look.

It could be that more flexibility was considered but may have been dropped or pushed back in development to save on time and costs.
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
True enough.

I'm just offering my feedback both as a competent keyboard and bass player. There are things I can do on bass I believe is achievable in a plugin, especially if it's algorithmic.

I just think they need to know where to look.

It could be that more flexibility was considered but may have been dropped or pushed back in development to save on time and costs.
I know you were, buddy!

The one critique I have with modo is that I'd prefer that all articulations were mapped to the Keybed. Again, I don't play articulations in realtime, but, it's nice to be able to have all of them easily drawn in within piano roll
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know you were, buddy!

The one critique I have with modo is that I'd prefer that all articulations were mapped to the Keybed. Again, I don't play articulations in realtime, but, it's nice to be able to have all of them easily drawn in within piano roll
This just demonstrates that users have their own style and approaches to working with articulation

I often draw articulations in too through the midi editor, but then there are times I have a "feel" for how it should sound as I play it in and would like that added flexibility to set Modo up to compliment my playing style.
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Heads up IK Multimedia

Really love the demo. The control keys really let you go to down with getting a sense or realism or delicacy! I could spend all day playing with MODO but then the frustration hit me.. There's a big issue - the difficulty forcing notes..

Sometimes I will force a note to play on a certain string with a control, IE, I want to play a D, 5th fret on the A string. The graphic will show the note playing but the sound is the octave higher (as if it's from on the 17th fret) even if you select 'first position'. There is a graphic & sound mismatch as well as a bug in trying to get Modo to play the correct note. It sounds like it's fighting to stay on the 5th first note but then jumps to the 17th for the rest of the loop. There are no other CC messages. (Logic x)

Other than that, i'm looking forward to a fix so I can play more. It's easy to get Modo to sit in a mix. Some more 'sub' bass sounds is my only addition for a request. Deturnings?

Last edited by musicl; 16th July 2017 at 07:22 AM..
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Heads up IK Multimedia

Really love the demo. The control keys really let you go to down with getting a sense or realism or delicacy! I could spend all day playing with MODO but then the frustration hit me.. There's a big issue - the difficulty forcing notes..

Sometimes I will force a note to play on a certain string with a control, IE, I want to play a D, 5th fret on the A string. The graphic will show the note playing but the sound is the octave higher (as if it's from on the 17th fret) even if you select 'first position'. There is a graphic & sound mismatch as well as a bug in trying to get Modo to play the correct note. It sounds like it's fighting to stay on the 5th first note but then jumps to the 17th for the rest of the loop. There are no other CC messages. (Logic x)

Other than that, i'm looking forward to a fix so I can play more. It's easy to get Modo to sit in a mix. Some more 'sub' bass sounds is my only addition for a request. Deturnings?
I hate to be that guy, but pleAse submit a cs ticket at IK. I've not noticed this niggle here, but, make sure to make ik aware for all of our sakes
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hate to be that guy, but pleAse submit a cs ticket at IK. I've not noticed this niggle here, but, make sure to make ik aware for all of our sakes
Nah, it's a good point. I just checked out the IK site for reference but it seems people have submitted tickets and not gotten a reply or a fix in months.. Maybe IK Peter knows is aware of the issue?
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah, it's a good point. I just checked out the IK site for reference but it seems people have submitted tickets and not gotten a reply or a fix in months.. Maybe IK Peter knows is aware of the issue?
I put in a ticket and then contact Peter with the claim #... Otherwise I've never been satisfied with the cs response. Peter always seems to run it down and escalate until something gets fixed (if it's a true bug as opposed to just a behavior we don't like lol)
Old 16th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those would be outliers/exceptions (also note that many times when someone is frustrated the length of time gets a bit exaggerated, or the whole story about the progress and process is not relayed). Our support team handles many tickets daily and expediently. The support ticket system is a much more expedient way to get direct technical support than via a 3rd party forum. Thanks!
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Also using Logic X with MODO here, and use the "force string" feature frequently. I thought I was going nuts when I encountered this. Glad to know its not just in my head!
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Submit tickets my friends!

I've always found ik to be responsive to bug fixes...
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yes, and the more detailed information they have the more likely they are to recreate an issue and be able to either give a resolution right then or get the proper information to the devs to implement a fix if that is the necessary course of action.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Quote:

Yes, and the more detailed information they have the more likely they are to recreate an issue and be able to either give a resolution right then or get the proper information to the devs to implement a fix if that is the necessary course of action.
I have to weigh in here about my most recent experience w/IK support which was, frankly, dismal. (I had a couple previous encounters which were excellent).

I had current Logic, OSX and Sampletank 3 and was getting a repeatable NASTY loud spike -- and crash -- from one of my multitimbral Sampletank 3 instances. But--- there was no midi region being fed to Sampletank at the spot the crash was happening.

1) It repeatedly took the IK support guy several days to get back to me -- EACH TIME -- in a PROLONGED back and forth troubleshooting affair. On more than one occasion I had to write twice to get a follow up response after several days had gone by.

2) It felt as if I was expected to do virtually all of the heavy lifting in troubleshooting. And the problem was only repeatable towards the end of the song -- IF IT had been played IN REAL TIME from the beginning -- so it took me massive amounts of time-- I had to play the song in real time each time I tried eliminating something. A nightmare. (The source of the crash was actually somewhere well in advance of the spot where it occurred -- where, as I said, there was no Sampletank playing)

3) When _I_ (not he) by the process of elimation FINALLY identified the source of the problem as a patch from one of the older Sampletank expansions (properly imported into Sampletank 3), he just said they weren't gonna bother to fix it.

End of story. HOURS AND HOURS of wasted time -- stretching over several weeks due to EXTREMELY slow response times from the guy I was dealing with. All for the result of "Yes it's a bug, but we're not gonna do anything about it."

I had been a bit of an IK fanboy prior to this experience but it really changed my perception of the company and left a bad taste.

What I SHOULD'VE done was contact Peter -- whom I find always to be responsive.

To be fair to IK, my previous encounters with support were excellent and nothing like this one. But this one was...TERRIBLE.
Old 17th July 2017
Lives for gear

@SongShark - thank you for relaying your experience which was an exception compared to your other tickets. You can still shoot me the ticket number via PM and I'll get it over to the Support Manager so he can use it as an example for his team as an opportunity to grow and improve. Thank you.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
@SongShark - thank you for relaying your experience which was an exception compared to your other tickets. You can still shoot me the ticket number via PM and I'll get it over to the Support Manager so he can use it as an example for his team as an opportunity to grow and improve. Thank you.
Thanks. PM sent.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Here's a home-brewed tune and recording using a 5-string Precision MODO bass:

Vampire

Last edited by stonelark; 24th July 2017 at 07:38 PM..
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

As some may be aware, I do play bass as well as keys. I am actually starting to find this a great tool at building song ideas.

You can edit midi notes all you like without ill side-effects. You play with arrangements, keep changing key and even chord structure, record over and over without wearing away the strings. The when you have the crux of the arrangement of the song figured out you could with plugin in the real thing and know exactly what you're going to play, or you can opt to use the plugin.

It does open up a lot of creative choices and workflow.
Old 26th July 2017
Lives for gear

As some may be aware, I do play bass as well as keys. I am actually starting to find this a great tool at building song ideas.

You can edit midi notes all you like without ill side-effects. You play with arrangements, keep changing key and even chord structure, record over and over without wearing away the strings. The when you have the crux of the arrangement of the song figured out you could with plugin in the real thing and know exactly what you're going to play, or you can opt to use the plugin.

It does open up a lot of creative choices and workflow.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search