The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APOGEE ANNOUNCES NEW MAC OS X FIREWIRE AUDIO DRIVER VERSION FOR ENSEMBLE Digital Converters
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

APOGEE ANNOUNCES NEW MAC OS X FIREWIRE AUDIO DRIVER VERSION FOR ENSEMBLE

APOGEE ANNOUNCES NEW MAC OS X FIREWIRE AUDIO DRIVER VERSION FOR ENSEMBLE; BETA TEST PERIOD NOW CONCLUDED

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Santa Monica, CA-February 26, 2007 —Today, Apogee Electronics Corporation announced the release of a new version of the FireWire Audio Driver for Ensemble, Apogee’s multi-channel, digital audio interface designed specifically for use with Apple Macintosh computers. With this release, the Beta test period for the driver is now concluded.

This Firewire Audio driver supports a single Ensemble used with any G4, G5 or Intel-based Macintosh in conjunction with OS X v. 10.4.8 or later, providing consistent sample accurate performance at all sampling rates. This version also features enhanced stability on supported Macintosh computers and resolves the few remaining issues associated with previous versions of the beta driver.

“We are pleased to announce the release of a new Mac OS X FireWire Driver Version for Ensemble, thus bringing beta testing to a close,” says Betty Bennett, Co-Founder and CEO of Apogee Electronics. “This driver will allow our users to achieve the full benefits of Ensemble’s sonic quality, flexibility and integration, without compromise.”

The new FireWire Driver Version for Ensemble is available immediately via Apogee’s Ensemble Updater software.

For more information, please visit the Apogee Web site at:
http://www.apogeedigital.com/downloa...?show=ensemble
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi Max.
So does this driver now support standalone mode?
Zak
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakmakhak View Post
Hi Max.
So does this driver now support standalone mode?
Zak
This release was for the FireWire driver. We wanted to get the official FW driver up and end the beta period. Standalone Mode (which is a firmware update) should be out in the next few weeks once testing is completed.
Old 27th February 2007
Lives for gear

Will a similar driver be available for the X Firewire card?
Old 27th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
This release was for the FireWire driver. We wanted to get the official FW driver up and end the beta period. Standalone Mode (which is a firmware update) should be out in the next few weeks once testing is completed.
Blaz told me it would be sometime this week for the Standalone Mode firmware update. Is Apogee having a problem during the testing of the standalone firmware that would account for the delays?

I'm also getting a weird thing with my Ensemble where no sound comes out of the unit until I switch the clock source and then switch it back to Internal. It happens when just playing iTunes or when using the unit in my DAW setup. What's that about? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkev07 View Post
Blaz told me it would be sometime this week for the Standalone Mode firmware update. Is Apogee having a problem during the testing of the standalone firmware that would account for the delays?

I'm also getting a weird thing with my Ensemble where no sound comes out of the unit until I switch the clock source and then switch it back to Internal. It happens when just playing iTunes or when using the unit in my DAW setup. What's that about? Am I doing something wrong?
Seriously? No one wants to comment?

While I love how the Ensemble sounds, I think it's absolutely ridiculous business practice to advertise that a product currently has a certain feature when it does not. It is no excuse that they are beta testing it or that it will be available at the rather uncertain date of "soon." It is not a small, insignificant feature either. Apogee obviously thinks it's a marketable feature as they've changed a great deal of the copy on their website regarding the Ensemble to boast about this new feature. Boo, Apogee. Boo.

Max, why didn't the website simply say, "Coming Soon!"? I bought this product BECAUSE of the implementation of Stand-Alone Mode. Without it, I would have looked for a different solution. Obviously the marketing tactic worked because I bought it, you have my money, and now I have to sit here and wait for the release of the stand-alone firmware... but you've created quite the unhappy customer-- one that will have to double and triple-check every claim that is made on your website from now on.
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Max, why didn't the website simply say, "Coming Soon!"? I bought this product BECAUSE of the implementation of Stand-Alone Mode. Without it, I would have looked for a different solution. Obviously the marketing tactic worked because I bought it, you have my money, and now I have to sit here and wait for the release of the stand-alone firmware... but you've created quite the unhappy customer-- one that will have to double and triple-check every claim that is made on your website from now on.
I apologize for the confusion and will have the website updated to more accurately reflect the status. In the meantime, you should return the unit to your dealer if it does not meet your needs.
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Nut

Max, it's great to see that Apogee/Apple have really stayed on top of this one. So many issues have been addressed with the Ensemble and its drivers in the past 6 months... really impressive. Stable, CPU efficient, low latency, sample accurate performance is a lot to brag about. I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Ensemble!
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I apologize for the confusion and will have the website updated to more accurately reflect the status. In the meantime, you should return the unit to your dealer if it does not meet your needs.
Ha, Max, I see you took my suggestion about what to put on the website verbatim! I do appreciate the promptness. And I'm looking forward to using it in Stand-Alone Mode. thumbsup
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Seriously? No one wants to comment?

While I love how the Ensemble sounds, I think it's absolutely ridiculous business practice to advertise that a product currently has a certain feature when it does not. It is no excuse that they are beta testing it or that it will be available at the rather uncertain date of "soon." It is not a small, insignificant feature either. Apogee obviously thinks it's a marketable feature as they've changed a great deal of the copy on their website regarding the Ensemble to boast about this new feature. Boo, Apogee. Boo.

Agreed! This was a significant reason why i purchased the Ensemble as well, and I was not clear that it was going to take many more weeks to get the standalone mode, as the announcements on the website were rather misleading. Boo indeed.
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakmakhak View Post
Agreed! This was a significant reason why i purchased the Ensemble as well, and I was not clear that it was going to take many more weeks to get the standalone mode, as the announcements on the website were rather misleading. Boo indeed.
Right after we announced stand alone mode we had a major breakthrough on the FireWire driver. We had to make a choice: end the beta period and resolve all of the driver issues now, or put that off for stand alone mode. I think everyone would agree getting rid of the sample offset bug and other issues surrounding the driver trumps stand alone mode in priority.

I neglected to have our webmaster update the status on the website but that is now corrected. There was no intent to decieve or mislead, just a simple mistake.

Again, you have my sincerest apologies.
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Right after we announced stand alone mode we had a major breakthrough on the FireWire driver. We had to make a choice: end the beta period and resolve all of the driver issues now, or put that off for stand alone mode. I think everyone would agree getting rid of the sample offset bug and other issues surrounding the driver trumps stand alone mode in priority.

I neglected to have our webmaster update the status on the website but that is now corrected. There was no intent to decieve or mislead, just a simple mistake.

Hi Max.
Yeah, I understand. I'm sure your hard at work going down the list of things that need to be done. I am very happy with how the unit sounds, and once the standalone mode gets figured out I am confident that it will end up having been the best choice for the job i need it for around here. Looking forward to working with it once the standalone mode gets figured out.
Peace.
Zak
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Head

Driver for X Firewire card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
Will a similar driver be available for the X Firewire card?
I would really like to know this as well
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman672 View Post
I would really like to know this as well
X-Firewire uses the currently shipping OS driver.
Old 1st March 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
If that driver that you are referring to is the one in 10.4.8, then it is causing random offsets. I tried the XFirewire on several macs and they all had the random offsets. I am using Logic Pro 7.2.3 with a Rosetta 200/XFirewire.
Old 1st March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So are you saying we have to wait for Apple to figure out how to fix the random sample offset problem?
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

OK, but now... WHEN APOGEE WILL RELEASE THE STAND ALONE UPDATE ???

i going to write a review on a magazine and was lucky to read this thead...

otherwise:
1) i surely will gone mad to know HOW the ensemble cant run in SA mode as advertised,
2) i going to write wrong infos to mag readers... and isnt really professionally correct !
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

care to share the breakthrough? performance? etc... Since you're working with apple... could one guess that the breakthrough might show up in 10.4.9? perhaps i'm headed down the wrong path...
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gruv View Post
care to share the breakthrough? performance? etc... Since you're working with apple... could one guess that the breakthrough might show up in 10.4.9? perhaps i'm headed down the wrong path...
The breakthrough is out in the form of the new Ensemble driver.
Old 2nd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I completely agree with Max's 'proposal'. Return the unit if it does not function as originally advertised.

Stop giving your hard earned money to companies that put products on the market before they meet advertised claims. This business 'practice' needs to stop.

Demand that you are getting what you pay for and have the resolve to return the product if it fails to meet advertised claims.
Old 2nd March 2007
Gear Head

Is anything going to be done in regards to the Xfirewire card's driver cause like I said earlier , it does not work now. I have had this card for almost a year sitting inside my Rosetta 200 doing absolutely nothing. It is nice to see that the Ensemble is working but what about those who bought the XFirewire? I have tried this card with 5 different macs each with fresh installs of 10.4.8 and Logic Pro 7.2.3. Every one of them had random offsets .
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Head

Hey Caveman, I have the Rosetta 200 with firewire card using a quad 2.5 running 10.4.8. Everything seems to be running fine. What do you exactly mean "random offsets"?
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

hey max - plans for 2 channel version of the ensemble at messe? same features set, specs etc.. just stripped down to two input channels.

$699 - $799 sell 'em like hot cakes
just a guess/thought

perhaps too soon... next year...
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonrw View Post
Hey Caveman, I have the Rosetta 200 with firewire card using a quad 2.5 running 10.4.8. Everything seems to be running fine. What do you exactly mean "random offsets"?
If you do a loopback test , you will have your audio late by say 61 samples. You then go into Logic's Hardware And Drivers pref window and put -61 as the value in the Recording Delay box. Now repeat the loopback and this time , the new recoding you make should line up with the original that was placed. If it lines up then quit Logic , restart the computer and repeat the loopback test. This time , the new file will not line up right. I have not tried this yet on a G5, but I have one in my studio now, that I am setting up for a friend so I will try the test today.
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Head

I just tried the loopback test on a G5 and sure enough, I get random offsets. I am using the X-Firewire with the Rosetta 200. The X Firewire uses the same broken AppleFW driver so anyone using this combo on OSX should have the same problem. Those who feel they have no problem , most likely have not done a loopback test to comfirm if it really is working correctly. I have done this test on six different G4 macs and one G5 and every time I get the same result. Last year I spoke to tech support and they acted like my card may be defective , they sent me a new one and I still had the same problem. I went so far as sending screenshots of every step of the loopback test that I was doing but that was when Apogge stopped responding. If the Ensemble now has the randon offset problem fixed using the new AppleFW driver , then why not make it available for X-Firewire users? Now considering the fact that I have tried 2 X-Firefire cards and they both have the same random offset problem, then how could the "supplied driver" in
OSX 10.4.8 really work? Why is it also that whenever I mention random offset on X-Firewire, suddenly the lines of communication stop with Apogee?https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...u/confused.gif
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Head

I just tried the loopback test on a G5 and sure enough, I get random offsets. I am using the X-Firewire with the Rosetta 200. The X Firewire uses the same broken AppleFW driver so anyone using this combo on OSX should have the same problem. Those who feel they have no problem , most likely have not done a loopback test to comfirm if it really is working correctly. I have done this test on six different G4 macs and one G5 and every time I get the same result. Last year I spoke to tech support and they acted like my card may be defective , they sent me a new one and I still had the same problem. I went so far as sending screenshots of every step of the loopback test that I was doing but that was when Apogge stopped responding. If the Ensemble now has the randon offset problem fixed using the new AppleFW driver , then why not make it available for X-Firewire users? Now considering the fact that I have tried 2 X-Firefire cards and they both have the same random offset problem, then how could the "supplied driver" in
OSX 10.4.8 really work? Why is it also that whenever I mention random offset on X-Firewire, suddenly the lines of communication stop with Apogee?https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...u/confused.gif
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OSX 10.4.8 really work? Why is it also that whenever I mention random offset on X-Firewire, suddenly the lines of communication stop with Apogee?
Whoah, you freaked me out for a second. I thought you were talking about Ensemble.

I think that unless there is something different to the firewire implementation for Ensemble, the new firewire driver should work for you and be included in the 10.4.9 update...in theory.

I don't really understand why Apogee's website requires you to log-in to download drivers for an owner's Ensemble, but whatever. If you want to live on the edge, I think you should install the latest OS X firewire driver from the Ensemble Updater! :p
Old 8th March 2007
Gear Head

I have a feeling that you are right about the driver working also for the X Firewire. Due to the logging in issue , I would have to have a serial number for an Ensemble that I do not own or I would have to be at the mercy of someone kind enough to email it to me so I can try it out. Arrrgggggghttps://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/angryfire.gif
Old 8th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman672 View Post
I have a feeling that you are right about the driver working also for the X Firewire. Due to the logging in issue , I would have to have a serial number for an Ensemble that I do not own or I would have to be at the mercy of someone kind enough to email it to me so I can try it out. Arrrgggggghttps://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/angryfire.gif
PM me with your e-mail addy
Old 9th March 2007
Gear Head

Well , I tried using the new AppleFW Driver 2.0.1 with the X-Firewire and sadly it still gives random offsets. This thing is finding its way closer and closer to ebay. I originally thought of getting a Lynx AES card but chose the X-Firewire instead, big mistake. I cant even get a confirmation that it is possible to get random offsets with the X-Firewire from Apogee meanwhile it is obvious from here and other boards that something is not right. One would think that a company would test to see if their products work before selling them.
All I get now is an answer such as "the X-Firewire works with the supplied driver" or I get complete silence at the mention of random offset .Tech support would tell me that they cannot reproduce my problem , and offer no other help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search