The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition
Old 1st October 2016
News Desk Editor

Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition

Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-ltl-silverbullet-vc-artwork_reva4-2-outlines-014-rgb-4700.jpg

Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition. This limited edition version of drBill's Stereo Tone-Amp™ offers all the same features of the original Silver Bullet, but distinguishes itself with a couple exclusive tweaks to the MOJO Amps:
  • Vintage-style ROGUE SIX discrete op amps (2520 footprint) used in "A" MOJO Amp
  • Carnhill transformers used in "N" MOJO Amp
MOJO Amps + Tone Shaping = Tone-Amp™
The Silver Bullet represents a new, innovative class of hardware designed to infuse missing analog mojo into your digital world. MOJO Amps capturing the vibe of vintage American and British consoles are coupled with a musical results-driven set of tone shaping features. Together they create a Tone-Amp™ capable of handling all mixing, tracking, and microphone preamp duties.

Integrated signal routing functionality not only enhances creativity and workflow, but also makes the Silver Bullet a single unit solution for the modern hybrid studio.

The Silver Bullet is very effective at introducing desirable analog artifacts (i.e. "mojo") into digitally produced mixes without expensive summing solutions, consoles, or never-ending chains of emulation plugins. The Silver Bullet was designed to enhance and shape tracks to sound “like a record” during every phase of audio production – from composition to the final mixdown.

Principal features:
  • Tone-Amp™ analog Mix and Tracking processing modes with dedicated I/O
  • "A" and "N" cascading MOJO Amp circuit topologies inspired by classic American and British consoles from the 70's
  • Mix and Tracking Modes allows both Mix processing and Overdub / Tracking processing without any re-patching of cables or need for patch bays
    • Mix: process the 2-bus, bounce digitally recorded tracks and stems, combine with a DAW controlled summing system, or use with a passive summing in Folcrom™ mode.
    • Track: connect after your mic preamp, synth, sampler, etc.
  • Mic Modes allow Silver Bullet to function as a fully featured stereo microphone preamplifier with Polarity Reverse and 48V phantom power
  • Stereo signal path throughout with single set of easily recallable detented controls
  • Visually stunning 20-segment stereo high resolution output meter
  • MOJO LEDs provide visual feedback of signal level intensity
  • Tone shaping EQ suite designed specifically for mix sweetening and broad stroke tone sculpting of individual tracks
    • Tight: 12 dB/oct, 20 Hz high pass filter with slight resonance at 40 Hz for tightening bottom end and increasing low frequency headroom
    • Baxandall Tone EQ, +/-9 dB boost/cut
    • LF: Pultec-inspired Subsonic (30 Hz) and Bass (60 Hz) frequencies
    • HF: Presence and Air frequencies
    • Vintage: softens high frequency response to emulate vintage British consoles
  • Transformers by Carnhill and Cinemag
  • Class-A biased op amps
  • Exclusive Void Corp Edition features:
    • ROGUE SIX discrete op amps designed by Louder Than Liftoff, conforming to standard 2520 footprint used in "A" MOJO Amp
    • Carnhill transformers used in "N" MOJO Amp
  • All circuit components chosen by ear for maximum MOJO
  • Includes robust external universal (100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz) power supply and IEC power cord (14 AWG - U.S. only)

Direct price: $2199
Early adopter price: $1999 (with coupon code, see blog/Facebook)

Available for order now. This is a limited edition build-to-order product offered from 10/1/16 to 10/31/16 only. Future offerings are at the discretion of the Void Corp Board of Trustees. First release ships on or before 1/16/17.

Made by tone geeks for tone geeks. Designed and assembled in Silicon Valley, California, USA.

For more information visit: http://www.louderthanliftoff.com
Attached Thumbnails
Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-ltl-silverbullet-vc-artwork_reva4-2-outlines-014-rgb-4700.jpg   Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-silver-bullet-rear-2048x698.jpg  
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Mega bitchin'. Can't wait.
Old 1st October 2016
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Nut

Already placed my order. I've been looking forward to a Void Corp model!
Old 2nd October 2016
SEED78
Will it sound much different?
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
Will it sound much different?

Subtly different shades of color. Sorry, hard to put into words. If you need 2 silver bullets, I'd check out one of each. I need 6 silver bullets ultimately, so I'll be getting a couple of the void corp editions to go along with the silver silver bullets in my racks.

EQ is the same, Filters are the same, metering is the same, N side the same with exception of transformer (Carnhills in the VC version), A side the same with the exception of different (a little more vintage style) op-amps. So.....it's more similar than dis-similar.

We talked about just changing the front panel only for the Void Corp editions, but wanted to give guys who will have multiple units (there are many out there already) a little "something different" beyond the color of the faceplate.

Cheers!

bp

ps - I'm excited to get one of these, they look awesome.
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

FYI...

In case anyone was having problems checking out on the website yesterday... there was a shipping estimator issue, but I fixed it. So everything is working properly now.

Brad
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

So it's Carnhills in place of the Cinemags for the N side? Any subjective description of the differences there? A little more vintage like the A side opamps?
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Guru

The standard Silver Bullet does not utilize Cinemag's on the Neve side - it's got Ed Anderson's. Only the Void Corp Edition of the SB will come with Carnhills for the N circuitry - the originals will remain Ed Anderson transformers for the N circuitry. Brad and I generally view the differences as : The EA's are a little more "hifi" sounding, and the Carnhills are a little "woolier" sounding. There's a place for both. My only option if to have both. Actually, multiples of both.

When we decided to do a Void Corp Edition of the SB, we made a decision to outfit it with slightly different tonal aspects - so we chose a combo that we also loved when we first designed the original SB. We tested all kinds of OpAmps and Transformers when we designed the original, and chose the combo we wanted to release first - which resides in the original SB. This Void Corp rendition has another of our favorites in it - the more vintage sounding Rogue Six opamp on the API side, and the Carnhill vibe on the N side for a more "traditionalist" approach if you will.

Honestly, having used both Carnhills & EA's in Silver Bullet's, I'm OK with either one. I can make adjustments to individual mix elements or tweak the SB to get where I want to go. I like having options though, and that's what this is all about. Giving you guys some options. Hope you enjoy it!!! Cheers, bp

Last edited by drBill; 3rd October 2016 at 05:45 PM..
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The standard Silver Bullet does not utilize Cinemag's on the Neve side - it's got Ed Anderson's. Only the Void Corp Edition of the SB will come with Carnhills for the N circuitry - the originals will remain Ed Anderson transformers for the N circuitry. Brad and I generally view the differences as : The EA's are a little more "hifi" sounding, and the Carnhills are a little "woolier" sounding. There's a place for both. My only option if to have both. Actually, multiples of both.

When we decided to do a Void Corp Edition of the SB, we made a decision to outfit it with slightly different tonal aspects - so we chose a combo that we also loved when we first designed the original SB. We tested all kinds of OpAmps and Transformers when we designed the original, and chose our favorite combo - which resides in the original SB. This Void Corp rendition has another of our favorites in it - the more vintage sounding Rogue Six opamp on the API side, and the Carnhill vibe on the N side for a more "traditionalist" approach if you will.

Honestly, having used both Carnhills & EA's in Silver Bullet's, I'm OK with either one. I can make adjustments to individual mix elements or tweak the SB to get where I want to go. I like having options though, and that's what this is all about. Giving you guys some options. Hope you enjoy it!!! Cheers, bp
Given that you're favorite tranny/op amp combo is in the original SB, do you think this Void Corp edition is the right choice for a first purchase, or the original SB?
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Given that you're favorite tranny/op amp combo is in the original SB, do you think this Void Corp edition is the right choice for a first purchase, or the original SB?
Hi Adam,

I think it's fair to say that we have two favorites. When designing the Silver Bullet Bill and I deliberated on the choice of components for a very long time. We went back and forth, back and forth. Some weeks we'd vote one way, and then other weeks we'd vote the other. I'm a little company with a finite number of resources so in the beginning it was only feasible to create one version. A year later, the Void Corp Edition finally allows us as users to have our cake and eat it, too...and give others the same opportunity. If I may draw a comparison to mic preamps... Many of us have multiple flavors of preamp in our studios. We choose things that we think sound awesome. But yet we still lust after other flavors of awesome. The Void Corp Edition is another flavor of awesome.

So to directly answer your question. Yes, either will rock your ITB world. The best choice would of course be both.

Brad
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input guys. So it sounds like the two versions are more similar than different, but the Void Corp one might be a little more vintage sounding vs hi-fi for the regular version.. That about right?

I've been looking at picking up a Silver Bullet mainly for use as a line level hardware insert at mix time for saturation, etc. My original plan was to pick up a couple of 1073 and API style preamps (possibly a pair of AML ez1073's and CAPI VP28's), but the Silver Bullet seems like it'll do what I want and I could put the extra $$ towards something else, so would the Void Corp version be a little closer to those pres?
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I've been looking at picking up a Silver Bullet mainly for use as a line level hardware insert at mix time for saturation, etc. My original plan was to pick up a couple of 1073 and API style preamps (possibly a pair of AML ez1073's and CAPI VP28's), but the Silver Bullet seems like it'll do what I want and I could put the extra $$ towards something else, so would the Void Corp version be a little closer to those pres?

vp28's and ez1073's were my first experimentation into getting some color into my mix buss. The Silver Bullet is the culmination of those experiments, and IMO is significantly better for that application.

I still love the vp28 and EZ1073, but now I use them for what they were designed for - mic pre's. The SB has a lot more subtly and ability to tweak more than the other two.

Seeing as the EZ has Carnhills, I'd say yes, the Void Corp Edition of the Silver Bullet should get you closer to "that" specific sound. The color of the vp28's is determined a lot by the DOA you use. I like the transformers in the SB better than the vp28's, and if you WANT TO, you can easily mix and match DOA's in the Silver Bullet if you want to play around with its sound.

As far as which SB to choose.....in practice, how hard I drive the SB, whether or not I cascade the A/N mojo blocks and in what order, what kind of EQ I use, and how I approach my mix - I'm happy with either version of the Silver Bullet, and my mixes are not radically transformed by switching between the two. It's a feel / preference thing and my ears and approach just adjust a little differently to each one as I veer towards whatever I'm looking for. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They are both flavors of awesome for me!!

Hope that helps.

bp

IMO,
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I haven't heard the Void edition SB, but I have been using the original version for about a year now, and I can say that the number of different subtle-to-not-so-subtle versions of saturation you can get out of it is huge. Once you get used to how the Mojo blocks work and how they respond to gain staging and cascade, the regular SB is capable of a pretty broad range of tones including plenty that sound more "vintage" than "hifi," IMO.

Over the years I went from Folcrum-summing-through-pres to summing-in-the-box-into-pad-into-pres to summing-in-the-box-into-SB. All three of those approaches can help a mix, but the SB is hands-down the easiest from a workflow and dial-in-the-sound standpoint.

In other words, I can't help you with Void vs regular, but I can tell you that in my experience the SB is easier to work with than pres-on-the-mix-buss. The extra money saved vs buying two pairs of nice pres to have a similar "tonal palette" is kind of just a bonus. (And the SB is no slouch as a pair of mic pres either, FWIW.)
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,
do you have reseller in UK or do I need to order from https://store.louderthanliftoff.com... shipping to UK.
Thank you...
Old 17th October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Hi,
do you have reseller in UK or do I need to order from https://store.louderthanliftoff.com... shipping to UK.
Thank you...
Brad @ Louderthanliftoff.com sells directly into the UK and the EU. Cheers, bp
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Brad @ Louderthanliftoff.com sells directly into the UK and the EU. Cheers, bp
Thank you
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

I thought I would share this pic with you all. So you can get an idea how snazzy this thing is going to look.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-img_8992.jpg  
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I thought I would share this pic with you all. So you can get an idea how snazzy this thing is going to look.

Brad
Looking forward to it!!! Gimmee now!
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Guru

Yup. That looks amazing Brad!!
Old 21st October 2016
Lives for gear

Status update

Thanks, guys!

Here's a status update on the build for everyone:

Enclosures, transformers, knobs, faceplates, and meter windows are all on order. I'll be ordering PCBs and electronic components later today. So I'm ahead of schedule at the moment.

Brad
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Status update #2

Just a quick status update on the build... I'm picking up PCB assemblies tomorrow from my vendor and will be doing final assembly on the first batch of orders this week. Boxes/packaging are showing up today so I can actually ship these out to everyone. Enclosures arrive Wednesday I believe. My goal is to get units in everyone's hands in time for Xmas.

Brad
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

status update #3

Game on! I have word from Tone Santa that it won't be long now.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-img_9279.jpg  
Old 21st December 2016
Lives for gear

Can't wait!!

Old 21st December 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Game on! I have word from Tone Santa that it won't be long now.

Brad

That's a sweet pic Brad!!! Those Carnhills look dead sexy..... (in my best fat bastard voice....)
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Merry Christmas @ Talljoe , Patrick, Johan, Daryl, and Michael. Your VC Silver Bullets just shipped.

Brad
Old 22nd December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Merry Christmas @ Talljoe , Patrick, Johan, Daryl, and Michael. Your VC Silver Bullets just shipped.

Brad
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Nut

It's here! Dang does it look nice.

Old 31st December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:

Brad
See that 2U empty hole?
Literally sitting here waiting for mr Postman...

Attached Thumbnails
Louder Than Liftoff is proud to present the Silver Bullet - Void Corp Edition-dsc_0624.jpg  
Old 31st December 2016
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talljoe View Post
It's here! Dang does it look nice.
V nice - do you ever sum a mix through the Redd's?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search