The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 30th September 2016
News Desk Editor

Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre

Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre-dada90_d307e2a660cb4ea5b8109f991c21e8fc-mv2.jpg

The WA-412 provides 4 channels of classic "312 style" American console preamps in a sleek 1RU design. This style of preamp is often referred to as "the sound of Rock n' Roll" for its BIG punchy low end and smooth open top end. The price/performance ratio of the WA-412 is almost unfathomable to the experienced studio engineer who has possibly paid much more for preamps of this style during their career. Featuring fully discrete socketed "2520 footprint" 6-pin opamps and custom wound Altran USA input and output transformers, the WA-412 leaves nothing to be desired. If you are looking for multiple channels of world class tone in an affordable package, the WA-412 might be the right choice for you.

Inspiration behind the WA-412.
When I first started holding regular studio sessions years ago I always desired to have more channels of high-end mic pre's. I could only afford to have one or two in my studio at a time, which was never enough to record a full band or drummer. I knew very well that if signals were not recorded well "on the way in" they wouldn't be salvageable later, but my budget constrained me, so many of the sources were recorded through poor-quality mic pre's. If the WA-412 was available back then I likely wouldn't have had to settle for poor, low-quality tone. The WA-412 was designed "for the people" (if you will) and we believe it will become a serious work-horse in many professional and home studios. - Bryce Young (founder)

More features.
The WA-412 has all of the features one would expect from this style of preamp... and more. Output Trim has been added to every channel for precise control and creative gain structuring. We also added a Tone switch (transformer input impedance) to each channel, which allows you to choose the warm and punchy classic console tone, or a more open & neutral sound.

Better components.
Each channel utilizes a fully discrete 2520-style socketed opamp that can be swapped with other "2520 footprint" opamps. Discrete opamp circuitry is known for its high headroom and low distortion characteristics and has much to do with the coveted sound of these classic console preamps.

We are proud to be using input and output transformers that are made in the USA by high-end transformer manufacturer, Altran. We worked closely with Altran to create unique transformers that extend the low frequency response of the design. The transformers also use a vintage winding technique that produces a very distinct smooth & open character.

Carefully choosing the WA-412 components has resulted in an amazing four channel ‘workhorse’ preamp/DI that performs at the highest levels, while still adding a touch of vintage console magic to your signal.

Specs:
  • 4 Channel "312-style" microphone Preamplifer + Instrument DI.
  • Fully discrete, transformer coupled, through-hole component topology.
  • All channels utilize custom wound, premium input and output transformers made by Altran USA.
  • X520 discrete op-amp in every channel, socketed for convenience. Can be user-
  • replaced with most "2520 footprint" 6 pin,discrete op-amps.
  • 65db gain.
  • Inputs - Microphone XLR & Active Instrument DI.
  • Outputs - Transformer balanced XLR & TRS.
  • TONE button – Input impedance switches from 600 ohms to 150 ohms (changes the tone of both
  • the mic and DI inputs).
  • -20db pad - pads both mic and instrument DI inputs.
  • +48 volt phantom power.
  • LED metering.
  • Output trim knob for precise level control and tone sculpting possibilities.
  • Internal power supply (grounded, 3 pin IEC cord).
Coming this December (MSRP $1,199.00)

Link : Warm Audio | Serious Gear. Seriously Affordable.
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre-dada90_39043c3c7da24d95a5f59a5bc93b9532-mv2.jpg   Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre-dada90_d307e2a660cb4ea5b8109f991c21e8fc-mv2.jpg   Warm Audio presents the WA-412 4 Channel Pre-dada90_da0a05776fba4232a93b46ba6c1e7c0d-mv2.jpg  
Old 30th September 2016
I like how they put the gut shots of it up on the first post This would be a great addition for many studios looking to expand their color palette of pres without breaking the bank
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Head
Agggghhhh + out ADAT (24bit/96kHz To 2 lightpipe) and perfect!
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Looks promising. Cant wait to hear how it sounds.
Old 1st October 2016
This is gonna force API to modify their 3124 like their 512v and add an output knob. On their website it says: "We worked closely with Altran to create unique transformers that extend the low frequency response of the design. The transformers also use a vintage winding technique that produces a very distinct smooth & open character."

I can't wait to hear a shootout between these two. Also wonder why they went with Altran vs Cinemag on this one.
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Nice, Bryce. Just brilliant.
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks lord, it's in black color
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Head

Looks great and a great price.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

The phrase is admittedly overused but this is going to be a No Brainer for many studios out there.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
The phrase is admittedly overused but this is going to be a No Brainer for many studios out there.
No doubt. I've got two WA12 500 series, but I would prefer having four in 1RU. Very excited to see Bryce doing this.
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah why the transformer change? Will this be across the board all products from here out?
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
This is gonna force API to modify their 3124 like their 512v and add an output knob. On their website it says: "We worked closely with Altran to create unique transformers that extend the low frequency response of the design. The transformers also use a vintage winding technique that produces a very distinct smooth & open character."

I can't wait to hear a shootout between these two. Also wonder why they went with Altran vs Cinemag on this one.
I can't wait too. Couple reasons on the different transformer but mostly because we wanted to try something different and try to get them wound and assembled to a slightly more vintage style, and Cinemag (whom we do have a great partnership with) are already making the input part used on current 312's. It provides a good separation for this product. The modern 2520's are also quite clean and use at least some surface mount technology. We did our 2520 closer to the older version as well, all through-hole/hand made. in general more inspired by the earlier consoles than the later rack pieces. subtle but noticeable. -Chad
Old 3rd October 2016
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
I can't wait too. Couple reasons on the different transformer but mostly because we wanted to try something different and try to get them wound and assembled to a slightly more vintage style, and Cinemag (whom we do have a great partnership with) are already making the input part used on current 312's. It provides a good separation for this product. The modern 2520's are also quite clean and use at least some surface mount technology. We did our 2520 closer to the older version as well, all through-hole/hand made. in general more inspired by the earlier consoles than the later rack pieces. subtle but noticeable. -Chad
Say no more Chad, I'm in! When is it going to be available?
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
Say no more Chad, I'm in! When is it going to be available?
hoping Dec.
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear
Talk about a no brainer (I hate that expression!)

I really want two API 512V's for my 500 series rack to record rockier guitar sounds but 2 x API 512v in the UK is going to set me back a shade under £2000!!!! ($2575)

This will be 4 great pre's for less than half that ..... pretty amazing.
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Addict

16 channels of meaty discrete analog pres for under $5k list... internal power, in a nice package, classy look. Wow!
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iorio76 View Post
Agggghhhh + out ADAT (24bit/96kHz To 2 lightpipe) and perfect!
I certainly wish this would be an option! Even without it looks stellar, but for myself (and obviously yourself) this would solve some of our problems hah
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear
Does this sound the same as the four WA12s?
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Altran xformers and output attenuators on each channel so probably a little different.
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear

I didn't like the WA12. Hoping this sounds different as I'm looking at getting another 4 channel pre. But at that price, a few hundred more will get you a Daking IV.
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Maniac

RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Similar as in part of the same family of mic pre but we put a different spin on it, as coming back to that preamp design nearly 5 years after developing the first WA12 gave us all a fresh perspective on what we might try differently so that each unit was sort of its own animal. One important reason to do that is that we still make WA12's and WA12-500's, and we don't want to consider them interchangeable, though they are definitely close enough to use together for the same applications... They all have their place. The differences get fairly geeky, but here goes:

1.) The WA12 uses a reproduction of the Melcor 1731 discrete op-amp, and the WA-412 uses a reproduction of the old style 2520. The Melcor is sort of the grand-daddy to the 2520 for those who know their API history, so you could view this as moving forward a decade or so down the timeline, though still not up to date with the more modern cleaner surface-mount 2520's.

2.) There is a minor difference with regard to a transformer loading resistor, which is bit higher in value on the WA12, intentionally, to impart greater warmth, and closer to the API norm on the WA-412 (warmth still achieved in other ways).

3.) Input transformer differences... The WA12 uses a Cinemag input transformer that is custom. It has the turns ratio of the older style API part (1:4/1:8) but is a larger part (higher headroom) and has just a tiny bit of midrange bump actually built into the transformer. The WA-412 uses an Altran part that is custom. It has the turns ratio of the modern API (1:5/1:10) and employs a random winding technique that attempts to emulate the warmth of the older input part on the classic consoles (vs the slightly cleaner modern part).

4.) Major output transformer differences (that only geeks will appreciate, haha). The WA12 uses a custom Cinemag output transformer that is in line with the standard 'CMOQ' style API output transformer, but fixed to its steepest output turns ratio (1:3). API's output part can always be wired 1:3 or 1:1, but are usually found set at 1:2 on most applications. This transformer also has a 'butt stacked' lamination style, which allows the transformer to impart greater sonic character on the circuit. This style also has greater DC rejection; but the trade-off is a loss in efficiency. It has to be wired 1:3 in order to have even close to the same relative output (most of the time, depending on load) as an interleaved transformer when wired 1:2. The WA-412 uses a custom Altran output part that is interleaved lamination style, and wired 1:2, and is mechanically much closer in line with the standard API part.

So there you have it... we basically got a rare opportunity to have fun and play with different approaches that add up to a very similar mic pre that still stands out as its own thing. It's neither better nor worse; just unique.

Chad/Warm
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I didn't like the WA12. Hoping this sounds different as I'm looking at getting another 4 channel pre. But at that price, a few hundred more will get you a Daking IV.
$600 more, not really chump change. And no output trim, which is a really nice feature.

Wondering when we might hear some audio samples? Some kind of shootout would be great. I have 4 channels of my best pres in the shop right now, would already have picked this unit up if it was available now.
Old 25th October 2016
Excellent info regarding the new preamp @cdkelly I have to say that it's already on paper an amazing value, and seeing how most of Warm Audio customers are very happy with their other Warm audio gear's quality/ sound we can already appreciate the extra time and tweaking of components to make this Pre sound the best it can.
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

I think it's time that they do a really super good stereo, 4 channel and 8 channel super high quality AD conversion with a couple of output options on them. Or at least linkable stereo units so that you can have as many as you need. None of the lower end manufacturers seem to be doing them for some reason. Or... put an optional ADAT output on this 4-pack!
That, and a really good SSL style mix buss compressor.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Will be getting this!

Next make a similar product 4x Neve style pre/DI and I'm in warm audio heaven.
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

On Order!

Ordered mine! I already have 4 512c and I suspect these will be a nice addition for drums and guitar.
Old 6th December 2016
You did? Where? On the Warm page it still says "coming in December". Or did you pre-order?
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
You did? Where? On the Warm page it still says "coming in December". Or did you pre-order?
Warm Audio WA-412 - 4-channel mic preamp/DI | Sweetwater.com
Old 6th December 2016
Ah, thanx for pointing that out. Seems it's not available in Germany yet...

EDIT: Haha, an hour after I wrote this, it suddenly appears on the German audio sites. One says it's coming in on Dec. 16th, another on Dec. 30th. Maybe I should order from the US anyway, they are much more expensive over here.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Ah, thanx for pointing that out. Seems it's not available in Germany yet...

EDIT: Haha, an hour after I wrote this, it suddenly appears on the German audio sites. One says it's coming in on Dec. 16th, another on Dec. 30th. Maybe I should order from the US anyway, they are much more expensive over here.
Beware of import fees from your government. Duty or whatever it is called.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search