The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 29th September 2016
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone

Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone-h4_2mb-197x450.jpg

The classic ‘87 is arguably the most widely-used large diaphragm condenser microphone in pop recording history. Rather than base our WA-87 circuit on current incarnations of this mic, we decided to closely follow the early circuit designs that date back nearly half a century. As is true with many classic microphones, engineers who have worked with different versions of these microphones often prefer the warmer, more forgiving nature of the earlier commercially available models. The desire to re-introduce the warm tone of this classic mic at an affordable price to an all new generation of recording artists was the inspiration behind the WA-87.

Quality components make a better mic.
The WA-87 features all discrete, premium components such as Fairchild FETs, tantalum, polystyrene, and WIMA film capacitors, and is rounded off with a Cinemag USA output transformer. The WA-87 proudly uses our own Lens Kondensator custom reproduction of the classic K-87 dual backplate/dual diaphragm capsule, as found in early ‘87 mics.

It all starts with the microphone.
The importance of a good microphone cannot be understated; but unfortunately, finding a truly great microphone within a budget has always been a challenge for aspiring engineers. There are very usable microphones available for those on a budget; but top shelf, classic studio microphones have simply been out of reach for most people. We applied all that we know about bridging this barrier into crafting a microphone that reaches the level of quality and sonics mostly found only in top shelf products, yet sells for a price that is down to earth.

Coming this December...


Link : Warm Audio | Serious Gear. Seriously Affordable.
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone-h4_2mb-197x450.jpg  
Old 29th September 2016
  #2
WarmAudio New Product Announced WA-87

-⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆-
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone-750-wa87_detail3.jpg   Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone-750-wa87_detail5.jpg   Warm Audio unveils the WA-87 microphone-h4_2mb-197x450.jpg  

Last edited by callmelaub; 30th September 2016 at 03:27 AM..
Old 29th September 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
_Mark's Avatar
Let's hear that price! I'm guessing $600.
Old 29th September 2016
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
Let's hear that price! I'm guessing $600.
$400 I think. With different transformer and no information on the capsule, I'm not so sure how similar it'll sound to an 87 but whatever. Not very impressed at the moment but I'll definitely give it a try if I get a chance.
Old 29th September 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

1k from what I remember.
Old 29th September 2016
  #6
UA 1176 is $2000, WA76 is $599, UA LA2A is $3499, WA-2A is $899, Neumann U87Ai is $3200, so I would say WA87 will be priced at $799 or less.
Old 29th September 2016
  #7
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

It seems the new Warm Audio WA-87 will be $599 street, will be confirmed soon enough I think.

War
Old 29th September 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Cgbravo's Avatar
 

Man oh man.
Old 29th September 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Shame they couldn't save up a few dollars for a better logo.
Old 29th September 2016
  #10
The capsule is what will make or break this mic... interested in seeing what they chose...
Old 29th September 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

I remember Rode got sued by Neumann for copying the U87 look back in the days and they had to change it. Let's see how this goes down.
Old 29th September 2016
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
I remember Rode got sued by Neumann for copying the U87 look back in the days and they had to change it. Let's see how this goes down.
Check out the thread with Stam Audio SA-87, they're using the SAME body that Rode was using, they also don't really care about that.
Old 29th September 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Stimmt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Check out the thread with Stam Audio SA-87, they're using the SAME body that Rode was using, they also don't really care about that.
Would be good for us users. Clients only care about looks
Old 29th September 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
Wasn't there suppose to be a second product announced as well?
Old 29th September 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

I know its not the correct name for the capsule but its something like heisman.
Old 30th September 2016
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Cgbravo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I know its not the correct name for the capsule but its something like heisman.
They just mentioned that its a K-87 capsule, a new custom capsule that they developed and then said its an original k-87 capsule, hmm?

https://microphone-parts.com/product...ophone-capsule ?

On their Facebook page*

And they also announced the 312 4 ch preamp!
Old 30th September 2016
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I know its not the correct name for the capsule but its something like heisman.
The Stam audio mic will employ an Eric heiserman k87 style capsule. My guess is that warm audio is using 3u audio capsules specifically designed for their mics, meaning made by 3u Audio to warm specs, that's my guess!


What FET and transformer does the WA87 employ?


Fairchild FET, Cinemag Transformer, tantalum and polystyrene Wima caps, lens kondensator capsule

Weird how warm audio changes their wa87 product page. It originally featured their capsule and a big pic of the capsule and talking about how they came up with it and that they were working with a respected Australian capsule maker etc, now it's just specs on the mic, and the specs/ parts/ components are awfully similar to another mic!
Old 30th September 2016
  #18
Neumann is not going to dig Stam using the grille that RODE used. My guess is that they will receive a cease and desist pretty quickly. It was specifically the grille that Neumann was pissed about, so i think WARM is in the clear here.

Did anyone confirm what capsule it is? Eric Heiserman makes a great capsule, but his volume is low and his lead times are long. I'm sure WARM will need a lot more than he can provide. Chinese caps can sound good, but compared to a real high end capsule the difference is pretty drastic. Of course, capsules are easy to change, and yes, the real deal can be bought straight from Neumann for about $650 USD, so for the adventurous.....
Old 30th September 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Cgbravo's Avatar
 

In this video on sweetwaters facebook they elaborate a bit more on the capsule used.

https://www.facebook.com/sweetwater/...PAGES_TIMELINE
Old 30th September 2016
  #20
Gear Nut
 
DrewSCS's Avatar
 

Very interesting, congrats to Warm - a great modern company. Full support. Tho, have a feeling with this foray/product they'll potentially be up against it in comparisons a little moreso than their hardware units. It'll need to prove itself to survive. Best of luck
Old 30th September 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Neumann is not going to dig Stam using the grille that RODE used. My guess is that they will receive a cease and desist pretty quickly. It was specifically the grille that Neumann was pissed about, so i think WARM is in the clear here.

Did anyone confirm what capsule it is? Eric Heiserman makes a great capsule, but his volume is low and his lead times are long. I'm sure WARM will need a lot more than he can provide. Chinese caps can sound good, but compared to a real high end capsule the difference is pretty drastic. Of course, capsules are easy to change, and yes, the real deal can be bought straight from Neumann for about $650 USD, so for the adventurous.....
Shane, you should check out the 3U capsules. Not your grandad's overseas caps....

And yeah, Stam is using Eric's K87.

Delays have been the name of the game with Stam so maybe his customer base is used to/expects it?
Old 30th September 2016
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Thank the Lord it's not orange!
Old 30th September 2016
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Thank the Lord it's not orange!
Could be orange and you'd still want it!
Old 30th September 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
Could there be a burgeoning competition between Stam Audio and Warm Audio? First the La2a clones...now their 87 takes. Can't wait to see what's next!
Old 30th September 2016
  #25
Gear Addict
 
ManMulcahy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
Wasn't there suppose to be a second product announced as well?
That was the hype...what's the other piece?
Old 30th September 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Cgbravo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
That was the hype...what's the other piece?
On the video link I posted above they mentioned the 312 Preamp (API)
Old 30th September 2016
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Shane, you should check out the 3U capsules. Not your grandad's overseas caps....

And yeah, Stam is using Eric's K87.

Delays have been the name of the game with Stam so maybe his customer base is used to/expects it?
I'd like to. Dennis (RIP) had nothing but great things to say about 3U. In fact, they were one of his favorite subjects. Drop me a line if you get the time with any details you might have.

Hope you guys are well Ragan!
Old 30th September 2016
  #28
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Could there be a burgeoning competition between Stam Audio and Warm Audio? First the La2a clones...now their 87 takes. Can't wait to see what's next!
no competition til Stam can consistently deliver orders on time.
Old 30th September 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
 
gutr2's Avatar
 

Gosh I wish it was orange! Doesn't everybody get tired of audio products looking so boring? That's quite strange for a "creative" industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Could be orange and you'd still want it!
Old 30th September 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Squawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
Gosh I wish it was orange! Doesn't everybody get tired of audio products looking so boring? That's quite strange for a "creative" industry.
Here you go. Not orange, but close enough for rock n' roll (and bees).

Neat Microphones - King Bee
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump