how much gain does a WA 87 require? only got 56 db on an audient id14
you should be fine
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
you should be fine
"should" wont cut it friend

it seems through a look around in the forums here i should be able to scrape enough clean gain so all good

anyone care to explain the +10db software gain boost advertised by audient?

cant you do that in any DAW? and surely it would raise the noise floor by 10db also?

marketing ploy or what? haha

Jacob
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre96 View Post
"should" wont cut it friend
with condenser mics the usual concern is padding down loud sounds, not the opposite. most condenser mics will have plenty of output.

hence, "you should be fine"
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre96 View Post
how much gain does a WA 87 require? only got 56 db on an audient id14
You'll be fine mate. Unless you're recording ants crawling on pillows.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
with condenser mics the usual concern is padding down loud sounds, not the opposite. most condenser mics will have plenty of output.

hence, "you should be fine"
of course, i just heard it was unusually low and couldnt find the specs

i sent a wink to convey I only meant it light heartedly, but then forgot it might not show on a computer, my bad thanks for the help guys!
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis White View Post
You'll be fine mate. Unless you're recording ants crawling on pillows.
im trying to record batfinks super sonar radar actually
Old 3rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Bought one last week, after listening to tons of audio online.

I own a TLM 103 and find it has great bass but a weird midrange that lacks detail and a very distinctive high-end that can sound harsh on some sources. I understand the love / hate this mic gets.

The WA-87 has a high end that's much more neutral and natural, still open but not harsh. From what i've heard the U87 sounds smoother, more compressed, more refined, more neumann in other words. But for 1/4th of the price i'm very pleased with it, it's a great tool, if you're not obsessed with having the same exact sound.
Old 3rd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post

I own a TLM 103 and find it has great bass but a weird midrange that lacks detail and a very distinctive high-end that can sound harsh on some sources. I understand the love / hate this mic gets.

The WA-87 has a high end that's much more neutral and natural, still open but not harsh. From what i've heard the U87 sounds smoother, more compressed, more refined, more neumann in other words. But for 1/4th of the price i'm very pleased with it, it's a great tool, if you're not obsessed with having the same exact sound.
I've listened back to a few of the recordings I made when I had one and to be honest they're all in the upper echelon of vocal sounds I've gotten from any mic.
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post

Great experience here as well. I’ve occasionally worked with Neumanns when doing vocals on other people’s records, but I’m used to working with mics in the $400 and below range on my own projects, This beats out everything else I’ve worked with. 6-12 inches away, drop it in the mix, compress, done. It’s the first mic I’ve worked with where I feel like I’m not fighting just to make a vocal sound the same as it does in the room.

The output *is* lower than my original condenser, and I’ve had to boost gain in the box, but I see that as a shortcoming in my interface rather than the mic.
Old 31st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
WA-87s already showing up on the used market. I agree Neumann should go after them. Why can't they just make a mic of their own design like all the other 500 or so U87 wannabes? They seem to be relying on the gullibility factor by making all their products look just like the originals yet fall far short on sound and quality.
Wa87 better than neumann
Old 31st March 2020
Gear Guru

I did a few of the WA 87 vs Neumann U87 listening tests. I came out with a strong respect for the Neumann.

The warm is a good "budget" microphone but IMO that is exactly what it is.

At least from a listening test. I have never owned any Warm gear, and most likely never will. Since DIY projects are the same money.

just tossing in my .02 c for whatever its worth
Old 31st March 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy_jhb View Post
Wa87 better than neumann
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

What color is the WA87? It says Nickel, but do they have a yellowish tint to them?
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
What color is the WA87? It says Nickel, but do they have a yellowish tint to them?
its a nickel paint, and yeah, it does have some hue artifacts that aren't quite perfect... as well as it doesn't hold up as well as real nickel electroplating. we looked at that process, and wound up having to go with nickel plating over those concerns... even then, it's nearly impossible to pin down the 'german' nickel look. ours came out a tad shinier even after a few attempts.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
its a nickel paint, and yeah, it does have some hue artifacts that aren't quite perfect...
You mean like yellow hue artifacts? So it is normal that the microphone has that hue?
Old 8th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomiletea View Post
You mean like yellow hue artifacts? So it is normal that the microphone has that hue?
well, I never thought they were yellow. I mean maybe under a certain light and in a certain photograph it could come out that way? But I don't remember the WA87s ever looking yellow. The WA251 is yellow. The 87 always looked basically nickel, even though you could tell it was paint and not real nickel.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

anyone compare the Warm Audio 87 to the Roswell?
📝 Reply