The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundelux USA Releases U195 Microphone
Old 29th September 2016
News Desk Editor

Soundelux USA Releases U195 Microphone

Soundelux USA Releases U195 Microphone-unnamed-3.jpg

Soundelux USA has released the U195 cardioid fet P48 microphone. Based on the original Soundelux U195 in production from 1996-2006, and the Bock 195 in production from 2007-2014, the Soundelux USA U195 features a new improved k67 capsule while maintaining the famously innovative "FAT" switch low-frequency control and it's unparalleled massive output transformer.

The U195 is a versatile phantom-powered single, low-noise, wide-band fet mic coupled with Soundelux USA's new super smooth k67 capsule. Add to this a classic, massive output transformer along with a unique "FAT" switch, and you have the ultimate Swiss Army Mic capable of handling any studio chore you can throw at it.

"The U195 can satisfy a wide range of applications for engineers and studios that may have a few expensive models, but need to fill out their mic cabinet without breaking the budget," said David Bock, who makes the microphones in California. "This mic provides remarkable fullness and presence with exceptionally low background noise on everything from vocals and acoustic instruments, to guitar cabinets and drums."

While the U195 is based on the platform of a very famous mic, this new Soundelux USA version was optimized removing the patterns, removing bandwidth restrictions, multiplying the transformer size and removing the atonal inharmonic fet bias system, resulting in superior musicality at a shockingly lower cost.

The Soundelux USA U195 features a pad switch, lo-cut switch, and a "fat" switch, allowing you to carve the desired tone. The also mic comes with a metal threaded stand mount.

Specs:
  • Capsule size: 1" dual symmetrical backplate K67 type
  • Impedance: 200 Ohms true transformer balanced
  • Amp: Class A fet/transformer, no switching supplies/oscillators
  • Amp Controls: fat/norm, lo-cut, pad
  • Freq Range: 20Hz-16kHz, +/-2dB
  • S/N: 81dB "A", 72dB unweighted
  • Dynamic range: 111dB
  • Sensitivity: 8mv/Pa

Price and availability:
The Soundelux USA U195 Microphones carries a US MSRP of $1,249.

Link : Bock Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Soundelux USA Releases U195 Microphone-unnamed-2.jpg   Soundelux USA Releases U195 Microphone-unnamed-3.jpg  
Old 30th September 2016
Always loved this microphone; worth every penny
Old 1st October 2016
News Desk Editor

Old 1st October 2016
When Soundeluxe microphones were re-released (and updated) to Bock Audio mic's that was ok. But then on the Bock web site to call a new mic a Sounddeluxe 195 is a little confusing. Why not just call it a Bock 195 again? Going to the Soundeluxe name makes people think the old company is back again. Soundelux Sound Effects
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

Big fan of David's mics (Soundelux U195, 251, two E47s).

Although certainly not relevant to the sound/quality of this product, the mic being a 'Soundelux USA' does have me curious. Is this a separate company from Bock Audio?

Will there be other Soundelux USA mics in the future? Or will the current Bock line retain the Bock name?
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Maniac

Never again after a total lack of support for my U99. I'm not even talking about free support, but the ability to pay to have a very expensive mic repaired. It's a brick and now a regretted purchase of what was once a wonderful product.
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
Never again after a total lack of support for my U99. I'm not even talking about free support, but the ability to pay to have a very expensive mic repaired. It's a brick and now a regretted purchase of what was once a wonderful product.
I understand. I had an E47, one of the early ones with continuously variable pattern. I sold it to a friend who used it for a while and began having trouble. There was no support from the defunct Soundeluxe or the newly minted Bock company. In fact, from what I understand, they refused to release a schematic so he could get the mic repaired.

When I finally bought a replacement for the E47 I went with a Flea 47 Vintage. I loved the way the Soundeluxe sounded but I prefer some level of support. Hope Flea is better.
Old 12th October 2016
Yikes, how do potential customers know this won't happen again... Didn't Bock build the mics for Soundeluxe or did he just design them? Either way, that's not a good look for a high end microphone company selling mics that retail over $5k
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I understand. I had an E47, one of the early ones with continuously variable pattern. I sold it to a friend who used it for a while and began having trouble. There was no support from the defunct Soundeluxe or the newly minted Bock company. In fact, from what I understand, they refused to release a schematic so he could get the mic repaired.

When I finally bought a replacement for the E47 I went with a Flea 47 Vintage. I loved the way the Soundeluxe sounded but I prefer some level of support. Hope Flea is better.
I wouldn't question your or your friends experience, but my understanding is that David still offers an upgrade of the E47 to the newest specification. I would assume he would do repairs as well but maybe I'm wrong.

Up until recently I've never had any issue and therefore haven't had any personal experience with support/repair, but due to careless placement on a crappy stand the 195 now needs a new grill. It hit the floor as hard as concrete from 8 ft with the weight of the boom behind it and though the grill is offset by 15-20 degrees it still works as new.

I'll try to remember to report back....
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Way off topic... but as someone mentioned, after sale service/repair is extremely important. Had a similar exoerience with PSI speakers and their terribly expensive and arrogant demeanour with regard to repairs... so I got rid of them and got some Focals... On the other end of the spectrum I have nothing but praise for Brauner Microphones. So! Moral of the story not only to Bock but also to other manufacturers... with so many fantastic alternatives, remember. What goes around comes around!
Old 13th October 2016
I'm still pretty excited to hear the thing in action.
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Customer service is something they will have to amend...Soundeluxe name carries great mics and awful customer service.
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS View Post
Customer service is something they will have to amend...Soundeluxe name carries great mics and awful customer service.
As referenced above, I used the Contact page to send a note to Bock Audio re: fixing my 195 last night and received an email reply from them earlier today.

I'll be sending it to them for repair tomorrow. So I personally found them to be quite responsive.
Old 24th August 2018
Anybody have experience comparing the new U195 (with the new capsule) and the old one? I loved my old one but always hated the sibilance. That was supposedly fixed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search