The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation (booth #410)
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Addict

Software Introducing Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation (booth #410)

Dear Gear Addicts,

We are happy to introduce today Blue Cat's Destructor, our new comprehensive distortion and amp sim modeling plug-in, capable of simulating any kind of distortion.

This new plug-in gives access to an unlimited number of non-linear processing models, ranging from harsh digital destruction to smooth analog compression or guitar amp simulation (and it works for clean tones too).

It is delivered with hundreds of presets and predefined models, many of them inspired by real gear. It offers the ability to create completely custom distortion simulations beyond these models, thanks to its flexible yet simple signal processing chain - no need to purchase extra presets or amp models to build the perfect custom tone.

Based on a perceptual model rather than on electronic designs or impulse responses, it simplifies the process of tweaking the tone and making it fit into the mix. Thanks to its exclusive adaptive shaper, it is reactive to the playing of instrumentalists, providing a very natural feeling, similar to analog gear.

In order to make the look and feel of the plug-in match the tone, the plug-in is bundled with more than 1400 visual styles that can be selected separately for each module.

The plug-in is currently being demonstrated at the 141st AES Convention in Los Angeles, on booth #410. It will be available for purchase and download on October 11th, delivered as a plug-in in multiple formats for Windows and Mac.

You can get more information and listen to the plug-in on bluecataudio.com.

Whether you are a guitarist, bassist, into electronic music, or mixing and mastering, this plug-in was designed for you:

Main Features:
- Powerful distortion and amp modeling tool.
- Simulate any kind of distortion: analog or digital, guitar and bass amps, saturation, clipping, compression, bit crushing...
- Works for "clean" sounds too.
- Get started with several hundreds of fully editable presets, inspired by real gear.
- More than 1400 visual styles to customize the user experience.
- Control the dynamics with the input gate and compressor.
- Control the tone with the pre and post filters.
- Exclusive shape dynamics control: adapt the tone to the dynamics of the signal.
- Use the internal or external side chain to trigger the distortion.
- Protect your ears with the output brickwall limiter.
- Comprehensive visual feedback: real time spectrum analysis, dynamic distortion curve display with embedded signal histograms.
- Load reference curves for tone matching.
- No latency.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5 or newer.
- PC running Windows XP or newer.

Pricing:
Blue Cat's Destructor: 79 EUR or $99 (excl. VAT)
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Nut
Will other plugs be updated to match new gui style?
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Addict

It is likely that some - if not most - of them will get an update at some point. Do you like the new GUI style?
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Addict

If you are not at the AES and cannot wait for a week to put your hands on the plug-in, you might be interested in this in-depth Q&A session about the "dark side" of Blue Cat's Destructor!

Why is it different? Where does it come from? All answers are here!
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
It is likely that some - if not most - of them will get an update at some point. Do you like the new GUI style?
I do yes. Much nicer looking.

Great stuff!
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Nut
looks like a huge improvement looks wise!!
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Addict

Glad that you like it!
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Addict

Here is a short guitar demo of the plug-in, by Hans Van Even:
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Addict

Here is another video showing a few clean and crunch factory presets on a funky guitar riff:

Old 11th October 2016
Gear Addict

This looks DEEP and the sound is impressive! The new GUI is a BIG plus too. Nicely done Blue Cat.
Old 11th October 2016
Here for the gear

Today is release day ... where can we buy this plugin??
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

it's up!

After an hour playing I'm speechless. There is so much in here I just can't get my head around it (in a good way).
Old 11th October 2016
Gear Addict

@ Twrogstudio : Glad that you like it, thanks for telling us!

Blue Cat's Destructor is indeed now available for purchase with 20% off until 11/11, while existing customers get an extra 10% discount during the same period (check your email!).

More details about the plug-in and demo downloads can be found on the Destructor plug-in page. You can now try it by yourself and tell us what you think!

You may also want to check out these first reviews of the plug-in:
- Pro Tools Expert Video Review of Blue Cat's Destructor for Guitars
- Studio One Expert Video Review of Blue Cat's Destructor for Guitars
- Blue Cat's Destructor Review on Audiofanzine (French), with many audio examples - sounds are not in French though :-)

Enjoy!
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

That's some really nice reviews there...

Two questions...

1. How hard is it on the CPU?

2. Is it possible to bypass the speaker simulation?

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2016
Gear Addict

1. It should be pretty light on CPU, but it depends on the number of channels and your actual configuration, so it's hard to give accurate numbers.

2. Yes, you can disable post-filtering.
Old 12th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
That's some really nice reviews there...

Two questions...

1. How hard is it on the CPU?

2. Is it possible to bypass the speaker simulation?
I demoed this last night. First impression was that it sounded really good. It does the crunch and hi gain tones really well; cleans also. I kept a/b testing it with revalver and s-gear and you can definitely get as good a sound or better from Destructor with the amps and distortion.

The presets were great and there are tons of them.

Where it seemed to fall short was in the cabinet simulation. I compared it to the newest Ownhammer cabs and it just lacked the realism that those have. The good news is you can bypass the cab section in Destructor. I'll be messing with that tonight to see how it sounds with my own cab IRs. Overall though, it's a quality amp sim and distortion effect, no doubt.
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Addict

Glad that you like it! For cabinets, you may want to try to tweak the post filter to your taste. The final result is also quite dependent on the effects/processing performed after the plug-in (reverbs for example).

By the way, if you use your own IRs after the plug-in, you may still want to keep the post filter active (but with no cabinet loaded of course) for subtle EQ tweaks, to reproduce the post filtering that happens in the power amp: sometimes "just a cabinet impulse" is not enough.
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Addict

By the way, if you want to know more about what the plug-in can do, or if you just want to learn how to get the best of it, Groove 3 has released a great in-depth training for Blue Cat's Destructor that really covers all features (including side chain distortion - yes you can do that too!):

We have partnered with them so that you can get a free 30 days access pass to watch this tutorial or any other (there is more than 1200 hours of videos). No account is required to watch the intro video by the way, which is already a good overview of the plug-in if you are new to it.
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxterbrown View Post
I demoed this last night. First impression was that it sounded really good. It does the crunch and hi gain tones really well; cleans also. I kept a/b testing it with revalver and s-gear and you can definitely get as good a sound or better from Destructor with the amps and distortion.

The presets were great and there are tons of them.

Where it seemed to fall short was in the cabinet simulation. I compared it to the newest Ownhammer cabs and it just lacked the realism that those have. The good news is you can bypass the cab section in Destructor. I'll be messing with that tonight to see how it sounds with my own cab IRs. Overall though, it's a quality amp sim and distortion effect, no doubt.
Great, good to know. Let us know how you like it... Thanks.
Old 13th October 2016
Quote:
Glad that you like it! For cabinets, you may want to try to tweak the post filter to your taste. The final result is also quite dependent on the effects/processing performed after the plug-in (reverbs for example).

By the way, if you use your own IRs after the plug-in, you may still want to keep the post filter active (but with no cabinet loaded of course) for subtle EQ tweaks, to reproduce the post filtering that happens in the power amp: sometimes "just a cabinet impulse" is not enough.
Thanks for the tips. I'll give those a try. So far, pleasantly surprised by this one. I own or have tried most all amp sims and I like the simplicity and ease of use this one offers, while also providing plenty of tweakability and depth "under the hood," if that's what you're looking for. A lot to play with still.
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Addict

Glad that you find it simple yet powerful, that's exactly what it was built for
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear
To my ears, you guys offer the best poweramp sim. till now (best amp breakup dirt) and its a shame the preset menu doesn't match the preamp section :( Like; say I select a brit 45 preset on the preamp section+the cab section is also understandable but on the poweramp...no idea :(

The section(s) matching preset approach makes more sense (like amplitube etc.) to nail a sound, adjusting poweramp sound is still a too new concept for guitar players so its better for the developer to handle this for them.

The factory presets are nice but there are to me too many amp presets that it complicates the experience. Would have been better to keep them less for guitars and more for the other uses like tube, tape fx etc. cause while demoing I always forget its not just an amp sim.
Old 15th October 2016
Gear Maniac

this plugin is impressive, the destruction module is the best sounding and most versatile distortion i heard so far, great job
Old 15th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here is a short guitar demo of the plug-in, by Hans Van Even:

Nice playing.
Old 17th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
The section(s) matching preset approach makes more sense (like amplitube etc.) to nail a sound, adjusting poweramp sound is still a too new concept for guitar players so its better for the developer to handle this for them.
Do you mean having similar names for the presets of the "Destruction" section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
The factory presets are nice but there are to me too many amp presets that it complicates the experience. Would have been better to keep them less for guitars and more for the other uses like tube, tape fx etc. cause while demoing I always forget its not just an amp sim.
There are many non-guitar presets too! Also, did you know that you can build you own presets banks by simply saving the presets you like in your own folders hierarchy?
Old 17th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holographic View Post
this plugin is impressive, the destruction module is the best sounding and most versatile distortion i heard so far, great job
Thanks!

BTW here is another very good review of the plug-in, with more sound examples (not only guitar).
Old 17th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do you mean having similar names for the presets of the "Destruction" section?

There are many non-guitar presets too! Also, did you know that you can build you own presets banks by simply saving the presets you like in your own folders hierarchy?
Yes exactly, while other sections are great too to me what distinguishes from other amp sim.s is the destructor sections role. Similar names would be great so when we select a preamp we'll know what suits best on the destructor section.

Yeah but my comment is more about the arrangement you guys did with the presets rather than system itself.

For example I haven't noticed much user comments about those presets yet from other forums and I think reason is cause of the crowded factory presets...maybe it would be best to make 2 sections when clicked on factory presets, one for guitar+bass guitar related and the other for mixing.
Old 18th October 2016
Too Good to Not Buy

Will definitely be buying this one. Love that it's an all-in-one package. I don't have to go the 'amp store' to buy additional cabs or amps. It has all the gear you'd ever need in one package; cleans, crunch, and distortion.

I tested this over a few days and was able to match and exceed every other setup I had with other sims. The benefit of this one is the CPU hit is significantly lower, the versatility of the distortion section can be used on any track (not just guitar), and it covers all the amp sounds in one simple package.

I didn't think I'd be this impressed, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Couple thoughts for improvements - not only allow the compressor and gate to be bypassed, but allow that section of the gui to be closed entirely - then move the amp/dist/cab space into that section to make them larger.

Also, I like the enlarged view when you activate the eq on the bottom unit. It would be great if the whole plugin could be enlarged; even better, make the whole gui re-sizable.

Like I said though, overall this plugin sounds really, really good.

EDIT: Bought it! Love it!

Last edited by Baxterbrown; 20th October 2016 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

I must say, this looks interesting.
Old 27th October 2016
Lives for gear

Just bought plug and I love it!
But found one bug
when set oversampling in Destructor module to x2 or x4 it reports wrong latency and can not be used in parallel processing
Using Mix knob leads to comb effect in this case
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search