The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solid State Logic launch Nucleus2 at AES 2016 Control Surfaces
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Head

You're right Jim.. it is 4ms! although in use I've found DVS to just not be fast enough for real time monitoring from the DAW.

With Thunderbolt interfaces the days of USB/ Firewire speeds are gone, and we can all monitor the way God intended... straight from the DAW, without the clumsy Mbox style input mix function.

It's a shame DVS can't be made quicker, as Dante is really fast. It's definitely the weak link in the system. Not SSL's fault!!

DVS is a great application for live recording. I've used it for a few years now. Totally revolutionary.

This unit will be brilliant with bigger Dante networks that don't require DVS to operate.

I have a Focusrite 4pre which connects Dante to Thunderbolt, so in my system this thing would very much rock!!. Elsewhere though The analog EXT in's may be the preferred connection method of course Superanalogue being seriously adequate!!.

Just have to work out if I sell the X-desk or have both.
Old 25th October 2016
Here for the gear
La Nucleus 1 era de por si un gran producto, se tenía una superficie de control de alta calidad, con total integración a los DAW más populares del mercado, un control de monitoreo con calidad de mastering, una muy buena interface de audio, algo limitada tal vez, pero de calidad excelente, dos plugins de nivel top, convertidores AD/DA, dos previos SSL de altísima calidad, los mismos de las mesas grandes de la marca y posiblemente lo mejor… tener el sonido SSL en nuestras mezclas mediante el suming, en otras palabras un aparato genial.
Con la Nucleus 2 tenemos todo eso más los agregados que tanto habíamos solicitado los consumidores y amantes de la marca SSL…, con la adición de la interface Dante, la posibilidad de conectar un segundo par de monitores y el talkback, los de SSL lograron mejorar lo que parecía difícil de mejorar, enhorabuena para los de Solid State!!!
El punto débil de la Nucleos 1 para muchos era lo limitado de su interface, con la adición de la tarjeta Dante, asunto resuelto, creo que esta superficie de control es la adición perfecta para quienes producimos ¨in the box¨
Old 29th October 2016
Here for the gear

Question to Jim @ SSL
Are all compatibility issues with LogicPro and latest Mac processors now a thing of the past ?
In other words - does the audio interface work with LogicPro ? do the meters function perfectly ? Or, as a whole, will the Nucleus2 do everything specified with LogicPro and Sierra ?
Marc
Old 7th November 2016
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inid View Post
Question to Jim @ SSL
Are all compatibility issues with LogicPro and latest Mac processors now a thing of the past ?
In other words - does the audio interface work with LogicPro ? do the meters function perfectly ? Or, as a whole, will the Nucleus2 do everything specified with LogicPro and Sierra ?
Marc
Soundcard yes.
Logic now has Nucleus L and R in control surface setup, metering sorted.
Sierra a bit wonky with IPMidi, update in the works for this
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Addict

As others have said, looking for the right control surface... but without pres/conversion.

I feel like there is a market of people out there who already invested in high-quality AD/DA and pres - but haven't bothered getting a control surface yet as they've been waiting on the right level of quality and for the technology to improve, and the right integration/features.... waiting... and waiting... for 5 years or more. Too many all in-one packages, and a lot of cats don't like all in one packages, because if one thing in it breaks... the whole unit has to go in for repair. In Canada, a lot of the time (if you're on the westcoast) that means shipping things out to the East side of Canada waiting a month or more.

Still looks like a really great product for some though, whole market of people coming into audio who want high-quality and an all-in-one box like this is a great starting point.
Old 25th November 2016
Lives for gear

I would love to see an 8 channel, maybe 4 channel version that is just a control surface with possibly having knobs laid out in the same format as console EQ / dynamics channel strip. Even having knobs laid out for the Bus Comp too. I can't imagine how this wouldn't be successful. This is where I see SSL could have an advantage making a control surface. Maybe make a higher end version that you could send analog signal to but is digitally controlled. Kinda how FMR Audio does their compressors.

SSL If you do this all I ask is that you send me a free unit please lol.......maybe a 1% royalty to keep the household content with my obsession for all things audio.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Head

If it's just a quality control surface most are requesting, why not consider a Presonus Faderport 8? I think the idea of having "SSL quality pre-amps" is a selling point for them. I think for that price though it should offer more inputs, maybe even some type of summing/analog processing interface.
Old 24th December 2016
I'd love to hear from some feedback people who have used analog for years and are using a Nucleus. I'm a project studio guy with a modest budget, but as a composer I do a lot of mixing, especially tape parts for live electro-acoustic music. I own 2 full Supernanalogue channel strips in the XRack format. I was working on something last night, a multitrack thing that overlays many spoken voices, and was wanting to do a bit of filtering and EQ to separate the tracks. I have an Allen and Heath R16, with 16 decent parametric EQs, but I really needed the filters and the greater options for lf and hf. And I was going to have to pre-process a bunch of short stereo clips before assembling, so even though I had the hardware I decided to just use the Waves SSL channel, cause I could just bounce in place rather than using real-time playback and record.

I honestly couldn't do it. I wasted an hour, never feeling certain about anything, and then just decided to run each clip through the hardware channel strips and record and then assemble them afterwards. I am fully prepared to accept that you can get just as good results with a plugin, but I seem to be incapable, so I'm wondering for all the analog guys that moved on to comprehensive control surfaces, is it just having knobs for everything? Is it just the mouse that makes it so impossible? I'm not even sure if it's just psychological on my part, maybe I am just more excited about using the modules than what's on the computer screen.

I'm considering the new Nucleus though. I've come to rely on the specific feature set of the SSL channel, and the behavior of the channel comp especially. I held off buying the mic inputs but now I can't imagine life without those filters. I'm sure the Duende channel strip sounds great, honestly I'm sure someone other than me can get the Waves channel to sound equally great. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to drop the requisite money on 8 stereo EQs and 8 stereo dynamics, let alone the filters, anytime soon, so this seems like the most reasonable solution. Maybe I just need to get away from the mouse, and then I'll be able to get where I'm going with plugins? Anyone have a similar experience and reliance on hardware but found the Nucleus can get you over the gap?
Old 24th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempertemper View Post
If it's just a quality control surface most are requesting, why not consider a Presonus Faderport 8? I think the idea of having "SSL quality pre-amps" is a selling point for them. I think for that price though it should offer more inputs, maybe even some type of summing/analog processing interface.

That looks really sweet. Glad that someone is invading the Behringer dominated low priced controller space with a better product. I might pick one up to control my SSL Sigma. Then I don't have to run my Avid S3 in MCU mode.
Old 24th December 2016
Gear Addict
SSL

@ augustusarnone
You might find the most comfortable option to be the Softube Console 1 controller along with the SSL plugin for it. It will give you that analogue feel which will help psychologically with the Mix..
Old 25th December 2016
@ Lifer
Thx. You know what, I had heard about that console 1 but never seriously looked into it. I checked it out and saw some demos and ended up buying it, as well as the 9000K plugin for it. It's a great concept, and the workflow seems ideal, hopefully it will get me over my plugin difficulties because I sure can't afford filling up 3 xracks like I'd like to.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
That looks really sweet. Glad that someone is invading the Behringer dominated low priced controller space with a better product. I might pick one up to control my SSL Sigma. Then I don't have to run my Avid S3 in MCU mode.
How does the s3 work in MCU mode? I also have a sigma and use an artist mix right now but would love to get more faders.
Old 19th October 2017
News Desk Editor

SSL Releases Nucleus 2 Dark

Solid State Logic launch Nucleus2 at AES 2016-ssl-nucleus2-dark.jpg
SSL Releases Nucleus 2 Dark

Solid State Logic is extremely pleased to announce that the unique Nucleus2 DAW & Studio Controller is now available in both the ‘Light’ version released in 2016 and a new ‘Dark’ colour scheme.

SSL’s Nucleus remains a unique proposition for professional studio owners. It combines advanced multi-DAW hardware control, heavy duty transport controls, monitor switching, talkback, two fully featured SSL SuperAnalogueTM mic pre’s, and a Dante audio interface in a single compact package. It also offers the rugged solidity and feel of an SSL control surface.

The packed feature set and reassuring feel distinguish SSL’s Nucleus2 as the clear choice for professionals seeking a centre piece for their DAW centric production studio.

Both Light and Dark versions of Nucleus2 are available now.

For further information please visit: Home | Solid State Logic
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic launch Nucleus2 at AES 2016-ssl-nucleus2-dark.jpg  
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Looks way better than the light version IMO.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Addict

Much better
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Before you bring a pink Nucleus, could you please update the drivers for Nucleus 1?
When I payed EUR 3780.67 on 3rd Jan 2014, I couldn't imagine that such a unit will NOT be supported any more in only 3 years.
Or should I buy now a pink or yellow one and sell it in 3 years?

BTW a Studer C278 (1990) TAPE MACHINE is still supported.
Old 9th December 2017
White is Nice

OK I have to admit I was one of those people who did not like the white Nucleus 2 color........ Based on photos only.

I got to actually see one in person and I have to say it looks great. There are so many consoles out there from different companies that are a light colored and no one complained about it. So I am here to tell you the lighter one is really pretty nice.

Thinking about selling my Dangerous D Box and Mackie Controllers for this unit. People don't remember that this unit also has great Converters as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search