The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Audio Introduces SoundGrid® Connect
Old 25th September 2016
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio Introduces SoundGrid® Connect

Waves Audio, a leading provider of digital signal processing solutions, announces the introduction of SoundGrid® Connect, a game-changing feature of the SoundGrid driver. With SoundGrid Connect, users can connect any ASIO/Core Audio-compatible audio interface to SoundGrid technology and dramatically boost the capacity of their system – run hundreds of plugins simultaneously, stream audio, record and mix from multiple computers and DAWs at the same time, and more.

SoundGrid Connect lets users add massive processing power to their system by connecting any ASIO/Core Audio interface to a SoundGrid DSP server and processing their SoundGrid-compatible Waves and third-party plugins on the server instead of their computer. By offloading their plugin processing to the server, users can smoothly run hundreds of plugins on their sessions and free up their computer’s CPU for other tasks.

SoundGrid Connect also allows users to connect any ASIO/Core Audio interface to the SoundGrid network, which lets them stream audio, record and mix from many different computers and DAWs simultaneously – all with incredibly simple Ethernet connections.

Users who already have a SoundGrid I/O can also use SoundGrid Connect to expand their SoundGrid network and add to it any ASIO/Core Audio interface.
SoundGrid Connect is available free of charge to any owner of at least one Waves software product.

SoundGrid Connect allows users to:
  • Connect non-SoundGrid (ASIO/Core Audio) audio interfaces to a SoundGrid server and offload plugin processing to the server
  • Connect non-SoundGrid (ASIO/Core Audio) audio interfaces to the SoundGrid network for audio streaming, mixing and recording
  • Patch and mix from multiple computers, DAWs and I/Os in the SoundGrid network

Collaborate on projects and move between studios with different systems. Any musician or engineer working with a host computer and ASIO/Core Audio driver can now connect to other users’ SoundGrid network and vice versa.

Learn more: SoundGrid Driver | Waves
Old 25th September 2016
Gear Nut

Waves SoundGrid Connect

Hey Guys,

This is very excited news and feature from Waves!

The SoundGrid driver connects your Mac or PC to SoundGrid I/Os and the SoundGrid audio network. Use it to:

Play back and record with any DAW using a SoundGrid I/O, as part of a SoundGrid audio network (in this case the SoundGrid driver serves as your ASIO/Core Audio playback engine)Connect non-SoundGrid I/Os to the SoundGrid network for plugin processing and mixing (using the driver’s “SoundGrid Connect” feature)Stream your PC or Mac audio content to the SoundGrid network: Use the SoundGrid driver’s WDM and Core Audio Sound engines to monitor and record audio from web browsers (e.g. YouTube), media players, games and other applications via SoundGrid interfaces.

long story short: Now you can use your existing IO devices with Waves SG system... Very exciting!

SG Connect is a new SG Driver feature that bridges between an ASIO/Core Audio device and SoundGrid network, allowing transport of audio and clock between the device and the network. A SG network can be established by connecting a Pc/Mac with attached usb/firewire/tb/etc device to a server, without the need of a ‘real’ SG-IO.
This setup will add StudioRack processing to any system with the addition of a server only. The bridged IO device will exhibit added latency when used in SG network, reflecting the use of its ASIO/Core Audio buffer.

The Asio/Core audio device can be used to share IOs with SG IO devices in an existing SG network. Utilizing ‘old’ IO devices, expanding IOs on a USB/TB/FW based system, aggregating different devices of different qualities and features....

Cheers
Thomas ümit
Old 25th September 2016
Lives for gear

If the Soundgrid Servers became a little cheaper...
Old 26th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
If the Soundgrid Servers became a little cheaper...
I agree.
Old 26th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Cool stuff more options.
Old 27th September 2016
Here for the gear

If this worked for multirack too I'd buy a server today.
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoles View Post
If this worked for multirack too I'd buy a server today.
Yeah, it'll work soon(SG Connect) for MR and LV1....

Cheers
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Addict

As far as I understood, it will offload plugin processing but won't give us low latency during tracking through plugins unless one is using the Digigrid interface. Correct me if I am wrong.

So in essence it is the same as running a UAD card - it will offload plugin processing but for low latency tracking we need a UAD interface.
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Head

This looks like some extremely promising technology. It will be awesome to see how this works in a real world environment. It definitely opens up the game a bit.
Old 1st October 2016
Gear Nut

Nice dante adaption
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 View Post
As far as I understood, it will offload plugin processing but won't give us low latency during tracking through plugins unless one is using the Digigrid interface. Correct me if I am wrong.
This is true.... you can have low latency feature during tracking with any SG IOs( DiGiGrid+Apogee+ SoundStudio) devices.

Quote:
So in essence it is the same as running a UAD card - it will offload plugin processing but for low latency tracking we need a UAD interface.
Yes, but now you can run Waves Servers with your UAD interface in the DAW and 8 computers could be connected to the network and each running an ASIO/Core Audio device.

Cheers
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
This looks like some extremely promising technology. It will be awesome to see how this works in a real world environment. It definitely opens up the game a bit.
trust me it works so far so good!

Cheers
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric View Post
This is true.... you can have low latency feature during tracking with any SG IOs( DiGiGrid+Apogee+ SoundStudio) devices.

Yes, but now you can run Waves Servers with your UAD interface in the DAW and 8 computers could be connected to the network and each running an ASIO/Core Audio device.

Cheers
Thanks for your response. I am currently using a Steinberg UR824 and looking to upgrade my interface. I wold like something that allows me to get low latency tracking with plugins on monitor without leaving the Pro Tools mixer.

So as far as I see the only Waves DSP solution is the Digigrid IOS. As an alternative to a Pro Tools HDX system this looks great. I would use it as my main interface but I am looking for something with 16 line ins/outs preferably on DB25 connections. I do not need any preamps on the interface.

One interface I was eyeing is the Focusrite's Red 4Pre since I can use it as thunderbolt and later it will let me expand to a HD native card. Is there any cheaper Digigrid solution with just DSP (no interface) that will allow low latency tracking with plugins while using the Focusrite as my interface?

Will the SoundGrid Impact Server let me do this?

NOTE:
By the way I am on Pro Tools 12 vanilla now. I am considering the Focusrite interface because it keeps my options open should I want to upgrade to HD.

Thank you
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric View Post
Cheers
I just re-read your post. I think I understand now. The interface itself needs to support sound grid servers otherwise the latency will actually increase. What confused me at first was that you mentioned apogee but after visiting their webpage I saw that Symphony II is expected to have Soundgrid support. I guess it's not out yet thats why I did not hear much about it.
Old 3rd October 2016
News Desk Editor

Old 4th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post
Judging from this video low latency through plugins can be achieved with ANY interface as long as one has their dsp server. Even if your buffer size is at 1024. If thats the case then it is truly a revolutionary breakthrough.
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Judging from this video low latency through plugins can be achieved with ANY interface as long as one has their dsp server. Even if your buffer size is at 1024.
I don't think that is what's being said here.
In the past DSP for Waves plugins had only been available in conjuction with Digigrid Interfaces.

Now you can add DSP by simply adding their server to your network with Soundgrid Connect.

That's a big deal!

I don't hear anything about low latency tracking with ANY interface though.
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dangamira View Post
I don't think that is what's being said here.
In the past DSP for Waves plugins had only been available in conjuction with Digigrid Interfaces.

Now you can add DSP by simply adding their server to your network with Soundgrid Connect.

That's a big deal!

I don't hear anything about low latency tracking with ANY interface though.
Yes you are right. He did say about doing overdubs at 1024 buffer in the video but maybe he meant offloading the processing so one can lower their buffer to do an overdub. Theoretically using a DSP box should actually increase latency - like the UAD cards. If you are not using the apollo mixer, and running UAD plugins in your pro tools mixer, ( and want to track through them ) they will actually cause more latency than native plugins.

When using DIGIGRID IO you wold have to set digigrid as your playback engine and even if Pro Tools was on 1024 the record arm track would not have latency. Here is a video that explains it better than me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccd88OnpRxI

Listen form 6:10

But thats Digigrid IO not just their DSP (soundgrid) servers.

I got excited thinking it would be like HDX functionality at a fraction of the cost. Oh well one can dream
Old 18th October 2016
Lives for gear

I too would like their servers to be sold a bit more cheaply. Or they can give me one for free I certainly wouldn't argue it.

Such a great idea allowing us to use our already paid for interfaces. It should have happened sooner.

At least their plugins are one cost for both Naive & Soundgrid licences. That makes their plugins more accessible.
Old 20th November 2016
Gear Head

Totally enjoy using this technology with my Digigrid IOS and Presonus 16:4:2! I'm surprised that the IOS isn't talked about like UAD's Apollo. I've used the Apollo in my studio and I find the Digigrid IOS sounds/plays better. Anyway that just me.
Old 21st November 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Can you have and use more than 1 Server yet for more DSP power?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

Thanks,

Marc
You can assign only one server On SGStudio (for now) but IOS inputs/Outputs will work so far so good..
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

Thanks,

Marc
I was actually under the impression you could. However, Im getting the impression I'm wrong about this.

I wouldn't put it past Waves, though. I imagine they are working on the capability to network multiple Grid units foe increased processing power.
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

You know these so called servers... this is so wrong.

Take the Impact server:

you could buy all the parts for $300 and have a spare PC.

Waves cream $500 the top, with a 6 month warranty. lol

Here is the MB:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-H81N (rev. 1.0)

And CPU:

Intel

RAM is so cheap.... 4gig $75.

WHY NOT JUST RELEASE THE SOFTWARE THEN WE CAN ALL NETWORK OUR OLD LAPTOPS, DESKTOPS AND SERVER PCs? Cool and very GREEN.

Waves, how can you state your excited by the network capabilities ? Its an old idea FX Teleport

You could of made it so simple.

The facts are now out for all to read. Waves, you should be ashamed.

Btw. For $800 i could build you a i5 system that would run 16 H verbs as a benchmark, not 4.... just saying.
Old 22nd November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post

Take the Impact server:

Here is the MB:

And CPU:

Intel

WHY NOT JUST RELEASE THE SOFTWARE THEN WE CAN ALL NETWORK OUR OLD LAPTOPS, DESKTOPS AND SERVER PCs? Cool and very GREEN.

Waves, how can you state your excited by the network capabilities ? Its an old idea FX Teleport

Btw. For $800 i could build you a i5 system that would run 16 H verbs as a benchmark, not 4.... just saying.
you know you're right. Totally right and I agree! I guess I feel a little better because I have the IOS and that comes with converters and what not. Still I like that idea of waves giving us the software!
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Because it's not just a computer you're paying for. I don't know much about them and yeah they are basically computers at the heart, but there is a lot more going own under the hood than you realise. At least that's what I was informed.

I believe they just went this route to actually keep cots down believe it or not. Apparently its also easier to develop for as well.
Old 24th November 2016
Quote:

Take the Impact server:

Here is the MB:

And CPU:

Intel

What a stupid post though. It is 2016. A 16 year old with internet access can build a computer. You can build millions of them if you like, but you still end up in the same position, grovelling to Waves to give you their software to make it work. Software has always been the defining aspect of any digital system. It is what makes the system tick.

Just ask IZ Corp. The Radar 24 was build on BeOS of all things, and Pentium 4 processors. It is still an industry renowned device for one reason and one reason alone. It works. Reliably and in a hugely predictable way. That is also the reason digidesign became so prominent. You can build the most powerful computer in the world, but it is meaningless to an engineer who is unfamiliar with it. A touring engineer has no idea what a mystery box in the bottom of a live rack can do. Consistency is key, in performance, latency, stability and familiarity. That is one of the massive benefits of creating and using combined hardware/software systems.
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
What a stupid post though. It is 2016. A 16 year old with internet access can build a computer. You can build millions of them if you like, but you still end up in the same position, grovelling to Waves to give you their software to make it work.
"STUPID!" mmm.

You would not need the software to make it work. You would have a shiny new PC for $800 not a crappy I3 consumer CPU designed for Word Processing.

Like you stated, anyone can build a PC. So.... save your money and build one!

Or buy a Server and be laughed at.

BTW, since Win7 you can hotswap drives, no more installation BS... so there really is no reason to not buy a new PC over a Server.

4 years ago I built an I7 System for a client and he still has never had a need for extra CPU, and he is a heavy Omni2 user.

Waves have created something not many users need and those that do are better off building a new System for the same cost. I think economists use the term false economy?

But hey, if my stupid post saves a friend, a like minded producer, musician or even the hobbyist $800 I am more than happy...
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Because it's not just a computer you're paying for. I don't know much about them and yeah they are basically computers at the heart, but there is a lot more going own under the hood than you realise. At least that's what I was informed.
There is nothing more than stated in the specs. Networking additional CPU is nothing new any 16 year old with internet access could code it.

I think this is how they cracked the human genome - could be wrong.

I personally had a conversation with a UK H/W S/W dev about creating these types of servers in a job interview 4 years ago. Boy, they chuckled. Like they said, the only way to add value with dsp and not look lke your mugging the consumer is with I/O else the end user may as well upgrade his PC.. cause CPU IS SO CHEAP.....
Old 24th November 2016
Quote:
"STUPID!" mmm.

You would not need the software to make it work. You would have a shiny new PC for $800 not a crappy I3 consumer CPU designed for Word Processing.

Like you stated, anyone can build a PC. So.... save your money and build one!

Or buy a Server and be laughed at.

BTW, since Win7 you can hotswap drives, no more installation BS... so there really is no reason to not buy a new PC over a Server.

4 years ago I built an I7 System for a client and he still has never had a need for extra CPU, and he is a heavy Omni2 user.

Waves have created something not many users need and those that do are better off building a new System for the same cost. I think economists use the term false economy?

But hey, if my stupid post saves a friend, a like minded producer, musician or even the hobbyist $800 I am more than happy...
Unless you have actually created a system that integrates within industry standard equipment like Pro Tools HDX and digital consoles like those by Yamaha, Digico, Cadac and Allen & Heath, you are just self-aggrandizing to a massive degree.

Waves obviously cater to much different clients than you. And a lot of them are associated with big acts - Live Sound Artists | Waves

My Grand dad still uses the computer I built him 14 years ago. You clearly ripped your client off by making him something he doesn't need.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search