The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron
Old 29th September 2016
News Desk Editor

iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron

iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-eq-5.1-.jpg

iZotope, Inc., makers of award-winning tools for audio production, today announced Neutron, their newest mixing plug-in, set to launch in October. Geared toward simplifying and enhancing the mixing process, Neutron combines the latest innovations in analysis and metering with industry-leading audio processing to deliver unprecedented focus and clarity in your mixes.

An industry first, Neutron’s Track Assistant saves you time by listening your audio and recommending custom starting points for your track. The analysis intelligence within Neutron allows Track Assistant to automatically detect instruments, recommend the placement of EQ nodes, and set optimal settings for other modules. You still maintain full control over all your mix decisions, but Track Assistant gives you more time to focus on what’s most important — your creative take on the mix.

Another industry first, Neutron’s Masking Meter allows you to visually identify and fix perceptual frequency collisions between instruments, which can result in guitars masking lead vocals, bass covering up drums, and other issues that can cause a “muddy” or overly crowded mix. Easily tweak each track to carve away muddiness and reveal new sonic possibilities.

“With Neutron, we’re introducing a new mixing paradigm by providing music producers and audio post professionals with a smarter way to mix,” says Mark Ethier, CEO and co-founder of iZotope. “The advanced technology within the software has an intelligence that isn’t the standard, one-size-fits-all mixing solution — Neutron is smart, but you’re still in charge. We envision Neutron being the helpful tool you’ve always wanted. It has a deep understanding of the tracks and where they compete with one another, and it offers subtle enhancements to the sound based on that understanding.”

Neutron can be used on every track, offering zero-latency, CPU-efficient performance. With an industry leading static /dynamic EQ, two multiband Compressors, a multiband Transient Shaper, a multiband Exciter, and a True Peak Limiter, users will hear clearer results in less time.

Neutron’s key features:
  • Automatically detect different instruments - like vocals, dialogue, guitar, bass, and drums - and then apply the spectral shaping technology within Neutrino to provide subtle clarity and balance to each track.
  • Get recommendations for optimal starting points using Track Assistant, including EQ nodes, compressor thresholds, saturation types, and multiband crossover points, so you can mix with confidence.
  • Carve out sonic space with the revolutionary Masking Meter to help each instrument sit better in the mix.
  • Create the perfect mix with five essential mixing processors integrated into one CPU-efficient channel strip, packed with both clean digital and warm vintage-flavored processing.
  • Surround Support [Advanced Only] for audio post professionals that need to enhance the audio for picture experience.
  • Individual plugins [Advanced Only] available for the Equalizer, Compressor, Transient Shaper, and Exciter

Pricing & Availability
Neutron and Neutron Advanced will be available October 5, 2016 at www.izotope.com/neutron and select retailers.

Neutron Advanced will also be available as part of iZotope’s new Music Production Bundle 2. This incredible value combines iZotope’s latest products with its most popular tools including Ozone 7 Advanced, Nectar 2 Production Suite, VocalSynth, Trash 2 Expanded, RX Plug-in Pack, and Insight.

Once available, Neutron, Neutron Advanced, and the Music Production Bundle 2 will be on sale through October 31, 2016:
Neutron will be available for $199 USD (reg.$249) and 189 Euro (reg. 229 Euro)
Neutron Advanced will be available for $299 USD (reg. $349) and 270 Euro (reg. 325 Euro)
Music Production Bundle 2 will be available for $499 USD (reg. $699) and 459 Euro (reg. 645 Euro)

Upgrade pricing can be found on iZotope’s website, and owners of previous versions of Music Production Bundle can find their upgrade coupons in their iZotope accounts.

Link : http://www.izotope.com/neutron
Attached Thumbnails
iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-compressor.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-eq-collapsed-.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-eq-normal-.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-exciter.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-transient-shaper.jpg  

iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-collage.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-component-compressor.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-component-eq.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-component-exciter.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-component-transient-shaper.jpg  

iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-eq-5.1-.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-eq-masking-.jpg   iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron-neutron-mothership-track-assistant.jpg  
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

This seems incredibly clever. Using "Track Assistant" and "Masking Meter" functions to give you an educated starting point is a great concept, as long as you have the final say in how it's applied (which it seems you do). Other iZotope tech like the spectrum mapping EQ function in Ozone has been invaluable in the past, and this plugin seems to follow that lead. Although, when I first saw this my immediate thought was that it'd be a CPU hog like Ozone, but it looks like they've addressed that as well. Not just another channel strip indeed ...

The GUI is great although I'd still like to see the fader design from Ozone 6/7 instead of whats on offer here, but it's in Ozone's general direction (which I think is one of the better looking plugins on the market).

Looking forward to checking this out.
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

WOW

Does Alloy still have a place?
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
WOW

Does Alloy still have a place?
They way I see it this is the successor to Alloy 2 but the went ahead and called it something else. God know's why...

Maybe because they don't want to offer all the current Alloy users an upgrade path or something.. I have no clue.

It looks absolutely great though. So much so with all of it's features that I wonder how CPU efficient it will still be and if it will eat away at Ozone sales?
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

I just got a demo of Neutron here at the AES, and the rep told me this is definitely the successor to Alloy 2. He also said there will be attractive crossgrades for Alloy owners. It is all new under the hood, and more CPU-efficient, he says.
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I just got a demo of Neutron here at the AES, and the rep told me this is definitely the successor to Alloy 2. He also said there will be attractive crossgrades for Alloy owners. It is all new under the hood, and more CPU-efficient, he says.
I am very happy to read that
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, all the usual trade show disclaimers apply, but I came away impressed and it seems like a no-brainer upgrade.

The rep demoed Neutron instantiated on a kickdrum track and a bassdrum track. The plugin displayed where the buildup was with suggested EQ settings, and you could then easily click and drag the EQ on both tracks until the desired setting is reached.

This is stuff we had to do by ear which worked well on an analog desk where you can grab the knobs on both channels and turn them simultaneously, but not so much in the click-and-hold environment.

I know I'm going to upgrade my Alloy 2 to Neutron sometime soon.
Old 30th September 2016
Video presentation @ AES, almost 20 mins explaining Neutron (from iZotope Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/izotopeinc/...7454238870627/

Old 30th September 2016
Gear Maniac

This is really intriguing, a new and much better take on spectral shaping than all I know of. I hope there will be a demo version?
Old 30th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nept View Post
This is really intriguing, a new and much better take on spectral shaping than all I know of. I hope there will be a demo version?
All signs points to yes there will be.
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
All signs points to yes there will be.
Fingers crossed. My mixing attempts with spectral mapping tools like curve eq etc. were never too successful so I wouln't buy blindly, even if it's obviously a totaly different beast than all that's been her so far. That being said I haven't tried any of izotopes plugins as of yet - besides vinyl
Old 30th September 2016
I can't wait already
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Guru

Smile

got the AES demo today too.
impressive evolution of Alloy.more intuitive interface and smart functions.
prolly buy it.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know I'm going to upgrade my Alloy 2 to Neutron sometime soon.
Same here! Looks like a great feature set. Although I am worried about redundancy in part. As a current Ozone 7 and Post Production Bundle owner I have quite a bit of iZotope's EQ, Dynamic EQ and Compressors going on (both in Ozone as well as Final Mix).

However, if this Neutron is vastly more efficient on CPU usage (as it's aimed directly at mixing application) then it might be worth it.
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear

This looks really interesting, and the low CPU/latency over heard is big plus.

My DAW templates already make use of MMultiAnalyzer to help me identify areas of clashing frequencies but this tool would make that redundant and improve the workflow. I can see this potentially sitting in insert slot two on all my tracks after VCC/VMR.

I really like the UI as well.

Props iZotope.

Edit:

SOS video from AES up:

Edit 2:

It looks pretty good. I like some of the masking functionality such as being able to EQ different tracks all from one instance, and inverse link is handy. Dynamic EQ is also good. That's one thing I don't have in a channel strip so will be useful. Per band SC input from other instances of Neutron is pretty cool as well.

I think i'll still have MMultianalyzer on one of my post insert slots though, since it can show as many tracks at once as I want and show where the problem areas are combined with them all.

Last edited by barryfell; 2nd October 2016 at 01:18 PM..
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Excellent demonstration in that Sound on Sound video

Can't wait to play around with it!
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Nut

Gee.....this looks very powerful, very well thought out and thorough plugin. The preset algorithm looks pretty impressive.

I can see the initial track mix being done with analogue EQs / comps for broad strokes, then using this to come through and tidy up at the end.

Would love to see AirEQ steal the masking analysis between two tracks, that seems to be very helpful visual information...although, as always, use your ears..
Old 2nd October 2016
Gear Head

Imagine explaining "Track Assistant" to an engineer 30 years ago.

Makes you wonder whether real engineers will have jobs in 10-15 years..
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

While the other stuff in the channel strip is neat, it is track assist that has potential to be disruptive. On our way to democratizing the mix process.

Music, songwriting, arranging, performance...guess we're still on our own for now.
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
They way I see it this is the successor to Alloy 2 but the went ahead and called it something else.
The next one, the real m/f so to speak, will be called Neutronium.
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samo_ View Post
Imagine explaining to an an engineer what "Track Assistant" meant 30 years ago. A "gofer" likely?
Old 2nd October 2016
Really interesting development. So much more forward-thinking than all the sounds-exactly-like... announcements from other devs.
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

This looks awesome.
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samo_ View Post

Makes you wonder whether real engineers will have jobs in 10-15 years..
Yes! Exactly. Imagine putting in some machine learning into it, installing it silently on a pro's set up in the background (CLA, Andy Sneap, Andrew Schepps) and learning the auto preset functionality from them - how they achieve individual tracks from different source files.

Then, you're on your way to Sneap in a box - select your mix engineer, hit auto-mix, and away you go.

I would not want to be starting a mix engineer career right now - even as a plugin developer, how can you compete with Slate $15/month?
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Really interesting development. So much more forward-thinking than all the sounds-exactly-like... announcements from other devs.
Yup.
I saw 3 new distressor plugins just this week.
The field is wide open.Do something new people!
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear
No need for the Advanced version IMO as I can still use the Alloy2 separates.
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
As the alloy 2 owner i can only say: hallelujah :-)

Last edited by onehalph; 4th October 2016 at 07:41 AM..
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Addict

Pretty fakking awesome!
Old 3rd October 2016
Gear Nut

Looks a no brainer. Great advances made to help speed up workflow.
Old 4th October 2016
Mixing with Neutron webinar happens after tomorrow, signup for free: https://www.izotope.com/en/learning/...n-webinar.html
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search