The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iZotope Introduces a Smarter Way to Mix with Neutron
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

This plugin has helped me improve the clarity of my mixes and I'm glad I bought it. Many times I know what I'm looking for so I may use my Fabfilter EQ for that. But sometimes I'm honestly confused. This plugin helps get the party started, mostly on vocals. The masking meter is very helpful and allows me to be a little more detailed with my mixing. I'm looking forward to releasing my tracks remixed with neutron (at least at the start).
Old 3rd February 2017
Lives for gear

I like it. I never caught any ads for it but it looks like some folks have kind of decided this is an "automatic mixing plugin" and I'm fairly certain that is NOT the intention.

What I like: track assistant EQ curve gets things decently right most sources. Usually requires a little tweakage and sometimes the shelfs that it builds in aren't necessary, but it pretty accurately identifies where things need attention in the midrange. I like the exciter - it sounds very good. The track assistant tends to lay it on a little strong but the mix knob always seems to fix it. And I like the transient designer, the built in look ahead helps get sources that are overly round to pop up with new found transient energy.

What I don't like: the track assistant has never gotten the compression right for my taste. I either find myself changing it or simply doing away with it. But that could very well just be me.

I'm kind of neutral on the masking tool. I think it's very cool conceptually and could be useful for some folks - and I may find myself using it later down the road. But for now it just doesn't do much for me.

My opinion.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I like the exciter - it sounds very good. The track assistant tends to lay it on a little strong but the mix knob always seems to fix it.
I almost always have to adjust the mix slider with the exciter settings it adds, and get some parallel processing going, but otherwise I agree, it's very usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
And I like the transient designer, the built in look ahead helps get sources that are overly round to pop up with new found transient energy.
That was one of the most anticipated parts of the plug-in for me, outside of the track assistant EQ stuff. The masking meter stuff I've messed with a bit, but I honestly don't have a need for it.

The compressor section of the plug-in would have to be my least favorite thing about it, but that being said it's still very usable. Neutron is a great all around plug-in for speeding up your workflow.
Old 22nd March 2017
I guess I'm definitely in the "target audience" for this plug. I'm an inexperienced recordist working alone in a home studio. I'm willing to read and try to educate myself, but at 48 I don't have time to climb up a 20-year learning curve. In other words, I'm the kind of person who has been perfectly happy using Ozone presets with no adjustments.

I downloaded the demo version last night and tried an experiment. I took the tune I've been working on most recently and created busses for each instrument/element. I removed all my channel plug-ins and added Neutron on the busses. I used the track assistant and the masking meter functions, accepting their guidance more or less intact. I put Ozone 7 on the stereo out (using a preset naturally) and did a little final EQ in there.

I don't know if this rises to the level of a "good" mix. All I know is it is better than what I was getting when I tried to mix the track the conventional way with my limited experience and training.

Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
It sounds nice to my ears ... but i'd expect 2 versions at soundcloud for better comparison what you described by your words.
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Jumped on the sale today...

Wow. With so many "character" tools out there, I wonder how much mud and fizzy and fuzzy gunk most one man production operations slather on tracks.

I installed this... Then I rendered out the tracks of my most recent production and started a new project with those audio files. Slapped neutron on the new tracks/busses and started digging in. Pretty friggin impressive and I've not even read the manual yet.

I recently went through another crazy acquisition period of great stuff (Black Rooster, PAs ACME comp... Even jumped into uad to be compatible with my writing partner). All that stuff is great, but it's these sort of "only possible ITB" tools are insanesly useful.
Old 29th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Jumped on the sale today...

Wow. With so many "character" tools out there, I wonder how much mud and fizzy and fuzzy gunk most one man production operations slather on tracks.

I installed this... Then I rendered out the tracks of my most recent production and started a new project with those audio files. Slapped neutron on the new tracks/busses and started digging in. Pretty friggin impressive and I've not even read the manual yet.

I recently went through another crazy acquisition period of great stuff (Black Rooster, PAs ACME comp... Even jumped into uad to be compatible with my writing partner). All that stuff is great, but it's these sort of "only possible ITB" tools are insanesly useful.
True, really useful !
However the thing i like most is that it guides and shows what is wrong and most of all saves a lot of time !
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Or what could potentially be wrong. You still have to rely on your monitoring and ears most of all to make the right call, but based on the sound you feed it, and the mode you select, Track Assistant can give pretty good suggestions that will at least speed up certain tasks by zoning in on the most common "areas of interest". From there you adjust to taste.
Old 30th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Or what could potentially be wrong. You still have to rely on your monitoring and ears most of all to make the right call, but based on the sound you feed it, and the mode you select, Track Assistant can give pretty good suggestions that will at least speed up certain tasks by zoning in on the most common "areas of interest". From there you adjust to taste.
Exactly what i mean!
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear

I think my new workflow is:

Track through outboard
Add amp sims, color comps, tape sims and slate or slate-ish vcc type stuff
Render to individual tracks
New session with rendered individual tracks, add time/space plugs...
Neutron

I'm a songwriter, shopping tunes... Not a mixer. It's tiring f'ing up my work the way I've been doing it lol

I'm gonna commit to this new workflow for the few tunes.
Old 5th April 2017
Lives for gear

I like the idea of this plugin, with the masking and dynamically generated presets, but the results of the preset generation vary so much from pass to pass, it gives me very little confidence in what it's doing on the hood. Almost feels like a randomize button, though I know it's not (and it's not as bad as that). While demoing, I would sometimes listen to something, and say to myself, what do I think I'd do to this? I make a mental note, and then run the Neutron listening mode, and the suggestions it comes up with are often times the exact opposite of where I would start, and though my changes may not have been ideal, the Neutron selections often time accentuate things I would have cut, and vice versa.
Sometimes a pass that generated a couple of narrow cuts, when run again, would generate a very wide boost over that same area. Makes very little sense.

The masking function is also a great idea, and would be great for beginners. I remember when I got started with recording, I was always finding instrument walking all over each other and it led to a lot of clarity issues. Using the masking feature in Neutron though on a few mixes I've done revealed little to no masking going on which made me feel better about the decisions I'd made. I wasn't sure how well I was doing it, though it sounded right. Neutron sort of confirmed this for me.
Old 6th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Using the masking feature in Neutron though on a few mixes I've done revealed little to no masking going on which made me feel better about the decisions I'd made. I wasn't sure how well I was doing it, though it sounded right. Neutron sort of confirmed this for me.
I've noticed that the masking function often needs a little nudge in the sensitivity to reveal the conflicts.
Old 6th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejake View Post
I've noticed that the masking function often needs a little nudge in the sensitivity to reveal the conflicts.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware there was a setting for that. If I get around to looking at it again I'll check that out.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Simple is great.

My work is audio post. Hoping this tool would target room resonances for dialogue. It seems to have a series of templates that it deals out. Which is fine. Just not that helpful. No matter what dialogue I throw at it I get the same basic template back. With maybe some movement on the filters. Learn function on eq is a little better.

Then I discovered Soothe and saw the future.

Can't beat the transient designer. Use it on sfx all the time. That cpu tho...yikes!
i'm interested in applying neutron to postproduction workflow

how do you use for sfx? on separate tracks or on the fx bus? do you add transients or rather tame them? just curious...
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear
Kinda ignored the Track Assistant feature for a while because the results were always quite exaggerated even on Medium and Broadband. Recently went back into Track Assistant and I've been getting really good results with 'Subtle' and 'Warm and Open' for everything and then make adjustments from there. Try it!
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear

If I use Track Assistant, I always use it on medium to see what it's suggesting, then keep what I actually like and dial it back if it's too much. Haven't found either of the other intensities as useful yet.
Old 31st May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
If I use Track Assistant, I always use it on medium to see what it's suggesting, then keep what I actually like and dial it back if it's too much. Haven't found either of the other intensities as useful yet.
Yeah, you should try experimenting with 'Subtle' instead of 'Medium'. I found that there was very little to dial back when using Subtle + Warm and Open.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but...
I tried the demo for Neutron and I noticed that the HPFs in the EQ do not completely remove DC (which they should).
I don't know if this is a bug or just bad filter code, but imo it should be fixed. I have no plans on buying/using this plug in, but I think the people who do use it deserve a proper filter.
Old 22nd July 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but...
I tried the demo for Neutron and I noticed that the HPFs in the EQ do not completely remove DC (which they should).
I don't know if this is a bug or just bad filter code, but imo it should be fixed. I have no plans on buying/using this plug in, but I think the people who do use it deserve a proper filter.

Could you be more specific, perhaps providing some audio examples and settings used?

In my experience, Neutron removes DC offset with no issues whatsoever. I created audio with 99.9% DC offset, about as bad as can be, and a simple 48 dB per octave high pass filter removed the DC offset without issue, down to 0.001% if placed just above the low frequency energy created by DC offset, and down to 0% if placed a tad above this.

I tested several other third party equalizers considered objectively good, and Neutron met or exceeded the performance of each with regards to the above. In other words, I believe Neutron's high pass filters are of extremely high quality, including when it comes to DC offset. It would be a shame if people thought or suggested otherwise?
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

with a 0 dBFS DC source file, i get the following measurements after filtering...
iZotope Neutron EQ
Fc = 20Hz, Q = 1
6dB HPF = -48.1 dBFS
12dB HPF = -76.4 dBFS
24dB HPF = -152.7 dBFS
48dB HPF = -inf

so the 48dB filter does perform perfectly, and the 24dB is "acceptable" but could/should be better.
the 6dB and 12dB do not perform well at all. they get a "fail" for this test.

my "generic" (Reaper/JS) 6dB filter @ 1 Hz attenuates 0 dBFS DC to -242.2 dBFS...so that is my "baseline"/"standard".
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
Izotopes update paths are usually one of the most sane..
Updating from Neutron Elements to Neutron is $120, yet the difference between them outright is only $70 ($129/$199).
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I've found that they are VERY responsive when you send them an email about pricing... Seriously
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Guru
This is now free thru Plug In Boutique with a purchase. Look in the Deal Zone!......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search