The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundtoys on the road @ AES 2016
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Guru
I guess I was wrong! Support got right back to me, said to try the demo since officially not supported. Hopefully won't knock me out! Supposedly no reported issues. If anyone's tried it please let me know since I spent days in iLok hell with Slate (Slate was very helpful BTW no knock against them, top notch service!).
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i have a racked pair of W295b that i use for one purpose... hands-down the best bass boost i've ever heard in an EQ....

going to A/B it with this plug...
Would be very curious to hear the results of your test!
Old 29th September 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

tested it for a while vs. the hardware... i found the mids and highs were quite similar, but the bass on the hardware was tighter.. which i prefer.. but the plug in was VERY good all around...

also, one one track i tested there seemed to be some mild low-frequency distortion on the bass notes using the plug in, that i wasn't getting on the hardware.

however.. one big concern... is the headroom of the plug in, and i'll be curious if anyone else experiences this as well..

with certain more s***** signals going into it.. i'm talking really sharp percussion.. the plug in would output these crazy distorted sounds, like the plug was being clipped.. there seems to be some gain staging issues. if i brought the DRIVE control down i could eliminate them

but setting it at unity and, say, bouncing a track, i'd really go back and double check that bounce to see if it's clipped... it's a very very nasty sound...

i also found the plug to be WIDER than the hardware.. but i didn't confirm that on an analyzer... if it was the case, i don't think it's a good thing.. we don't need artificial stereo widening or any phase issues..

the hardware sounded dryer and tighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayer View Post
Would be very curious to hear the results of your test!
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
tested it for a while vs. the hardware... i found the mids and highs were quite similar, but the bass on the hardware was tighter.. which i prefer.. but the plug in was VERY good all around...

also, one one track i tested there seemed to be some mild low-frequency distortion on the bass notes using the plug in, that i wasn't getting on the hardware.

however.. one big concern... is the headroom of the plug in, and i'll be curious if anyone else experiences this as well..

with certain more s***** signals going into it.. i'm talking really sharp percussion.. the plug in would output these crazy distorted sounds, like the plug was being clipped.. there seems to be some gain staging issues. if i brought the DRIVE control down i could eliminate them

but setting it at unity and, say, bouncing a track, i'd really go back and double check that bounce to see if it's clipped... it's a very very nasty sound...

i also found the plug to be WIDER than the hardware.. but i didn't confirm that on an analyzer... if it was the case, i don't think it's a good thing.. we don't need artificial stereo widening or any phase issues..

I have no problems here with the headroom of the plug-in. In fact, I just fed it with a +12dBFS timbal and it surely does sound distorted but in a pleasant analog way, nothing digital or nasty. What sample rate did you use? I use 96kHz.
Old 29th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfinder View Post
thanks SoundToys guys... you will have all my support !

ps:
contrarily to the incompetent/scammers at Avid that meantime are putting on again the same intolerable "show" every time they release a new update !
Very very... thanks SoundToys is Big....
Old 29th September 2016
Quote:

Yes, my kick quickly moved towards "fart" territory. When testing, I assumed it was a model of the original behavior. But maybe not?
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Unfortunately I screwed my back up yesterday so I'm spending the day frustrated and resting.
Take care man.
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Can someone answer whether the update works with OSX 10.6.8. Snow Leopard? Had a problem loading the new Slate freebie and don't want to got thru that again!
Had to reload all my iLok licences etc.....I've asked ST support but thinking they are at the show sippin wine and bein groovy!
The new update will NOT work with 10.6. Minimum macOS supported is 10.8. Sorry for any inconvenience. We try to maintain support for as many OS's as we can for as long as we can.
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Guru
Rats! Oh well, lucky I didn't try installing. Thx for the clarification!
Old 29th September 2016
t_d
Lives for gear

definitely not a model of the original behavior.... my hardware version has never done that!

and it was BAD distortion.. like glitchy, fear-for-your-speaker kind of sounds..

this was at 44.1khz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Yes, my kick quickly moved towards "fart" territory. When testing, I assumed it was a model of the original behavior. But maybe not?
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
definitely not a model of the original behavior.... my hardware version has never done that!

and it was BAD distortion.. like glitchy, fear-for-your-speaker kind of sounds..

this was at 44.1khz
Maybe that's something you should report to support. That's not happening here at all.
Old 29th September 2016
It has a problem with headroom, that's true. But if you insert a gain plugin before and lower the volume the necessary (around 12 db in most cases), then it will not distort at all. And another gain plugin afterwards, to compensate for the 12 lost dbs. I like to group these 3 plugins in Ableton Live and use like this. No Sie-Q distortion

Quote:

this was at 44.1khz
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

this was at 44.1khz
Yep, report it.

I experienced it while in beta. Thought it was fixed.
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear
I heard that crazy distortion also. Was messing around with a kick drum. Then my session sound immediately died and I had to restart the computer. Didn't have a chance to play with it more. I did add a touch of high end on a vocal and was very very impressed. Need to compare it to slate but wow it was great.
Old 6th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
Can someone answer whether the update works with OSX 10.6.8. Snow Leopard? Had a problem loading the new Slate freebie and don't want to got thru that again!
Had to reload all my iLok licences etc.....I've asked ST support but thinking they are at the show sippin wine and bein groovy!
This plug-in will NOT install on OSX 10.6.8. The last officially supported Soundtoys release on OSX 10.6.8 was 4.4.3, and the last one that will actually install on that OS is 5.0.1. You should not download any of our updates until you update your operating system.

Soundtoys | Soundtoys 5 Compatibility
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search