The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samplitude Pro X3 released
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
Samplitude is a throwback to the 90's. A legacy application with some interesting features and a lot of bugs and weird behavior. Why anyone would use it (unless they have had it for a long time) nowadays when we have Studio One, Reaper, ProTools, Logic, Ableton, etc., is beyond me.
Certainly not, playa.

I do not buy any of your conclusions here about Samplitude Pro X.
Old 9th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There are certain aspects of Samplitude which are among the very best tools I have encountered for manipulating musical audio. The Ammunition compressor is incredible, as is the guitar amp (Vandal) and the spectral cleaning and de-clipper are really useful. It has a convenient mp3 encoder, though I tag in foobar2000 because the Samp tagging method has that old unfriendly feel to it. I like the little de-esser quite a bit.

It reminds me a bit of that robot-Jedi from The Revenge of the Sith, General Grievous. He has four awesome lightsabers and can jump around and has a cool grappling hook, but is constantly nursing a horrible wheeze and is held together by a dead metal skeleton. His overconfidence is tiring, and becomes his undoing.

(I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, and I hope it's clear that Samplitude is an old friend of mine who's just made some strange life-choices recently.)

(oh and I only watch the version of Sith which was re-dubbed with the English translations of the Chinese translations of the subtitles, Backstroke of the West, viewable here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok)
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldedpath View Post
Emu Paris had object editing first, before all these Johnny-Come-Lately's.

p.
Not that it matters, but pretty sure I was object editing/mixing in samplitude before Paris hit the market. I remember when Paris came out as I was working for a dealer at the time. I know I had been using samplitude for at least a few years before I started working there.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 10th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Samplitude is a throwback to the 90's. A legacy application with some interesting features and a lot of bugs and weird behavior. Why anyone would use it (unless they have had it for a long time) nowadays when we have Studio One, Reaper, ProTools, Logic, Ableton, etc., is beyond me.
Because it sounds sweet.

And object oriented editing. Big deal. You don't have to automate so much. Once you get used to it you can't go back.

There are only two daws with object oriented editing, Samplitude and Reaper.
I think. Am I right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Does anyone know if they've added proper plugin style hardware inserts that don't require additional tracks?
Can anyone chime in on this? Does Samplitude have plugin style hardware inserts yet?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmaster View Post
Because it sounds sweet.

And object oriented editing. Big deal. You don't have to automate so much. Once you get used to it you can't go back.

There are only two daws with object oriented editing, Samplitude and Reaper.
I think. Am I right?
Studio One has object editing now. It isn't as intuitive but it is there and effective.
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have seen elements of object editing in various software (clip fx, clip gain and pan automation, etc), but Samplitude's implementation is comprehensive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do any of these sequencers you mentioned have spectral audio editing?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Spectral editing is one of the reasons I keep Samplitude around. A very powerful feature that has made me some money on several occasions. That being said, when you take Samplitude's built-in restoration tools as a bundle and compare them to a tool such as the full version of RX it really isn't any comparison.

Samplitude's restoration tools should have been updated and a point of focus for the developers over the years, in my opinion. Instead it has remained essentially unchanged for about a decade. And some of those tools are essentially useless; especially when compared to modern specialty restoration tools available on the market.

It's nice to have those included with the program, but any serious use of such tools will demand that the user invest in a separate restoration package (again, spectral editing being the shining star, and exception, of the included tools).

Best,
Brock
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Interesting, because I liked spectral editing in samplitude before it got integrated into the arrange window. Ever since integration took place it became glitchy, problematic and unreliable. Actually, few sessions I was working on got completely corrupted. I sent the example to the magix support team and after some useless emailing back and forth it got shuffled and eventually forgotten.

As Brock mentioned the RX suite is in a totally different league. Adobe Audition's spectral editing is also very good and even Acon stuff can do a fairly decent job. The RX editor is assigned as one of my external editors from withing Reaper and this combination is a pure power house.

Last edited by Sonic_Beast; 11th October 2016 at 12:34 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brock View Post
I have seen elements of object editing in various software (clip fx, clip gain and pan automation, etc), but Samplitude's implementation is comprehensive.
Studio One's implementation is comprehensive - it just isn't as easy to find in the software without reading the manual or asking the question from someone who knows this part of the program.

Once you find it then all is well.

Samplitude was my favorite program for years and years. It is when they went all in on feature additions, while sacrificing stability, that the wheels started coming off the wagon. I have been holding off on upgrading for quite a few years now and have only progressed up to version 10. After that version the appearance for me has been that stability has been compromised for additions that held little interest for me.

I would love to be wrong - and as soon as I am satisfied that there is a rock solid release I will be happy to upgrade and hop back on the wagon.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Head

I couldn't find anything in Studio One resembling object based editing.
Old 11th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Spectral editing is one of the reasons I keep Samplitude around. A very powerful feature that has made me some money on several occasions. That being said, when you take Samplitude's built-in restoration tools as a bundle and compare them to a tool such as the full version of RX it really isn't any comparison.

Samplitude's restoration tools should have been updated and a point of focus for the developers over the years, in my opinion. Instead it has remained essentially unchanged for about a decade. And some of those tools are essentially useless; especially when compared to modern specialty restoration tools available on the market.

It's nice to have those included with the program, but any serious use of such tools will demand that the user invest in a separate restoration package (again, spectral editing being the shining star, and exception, of the included tools).

Best,
Brock
I agree with most of what you said, but feel I should point out that the SC editor has had a bit of development in the last few years. The addition of threshold and range parameters made cleaning noise in classical that much more effective. For high efficiency when charging through a lot of edits, the integration into the app is still a massive plus.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
I sent the example to the magix support team and after some useless emailing back and forth it got shuffled and eventually forgotten.
This is I think, a huge issue with the support. It's not across the board, sometimes you get a very considered response, sometimes feature requests and bug reports slip efficiently into the next release. But for me, about 70% of the time it's as above. I can understand it if they are getting "hey youse dogz are on druks, your app is broke-arsch!!". But not carefully reproduced and documented bug reports, with test VIP's and videos. So anyway, here's one former Sequoia maintaince contract customer no longer paying for "Priority email and telephone support". Mind you I've never had to deal with Avid support. Maybe I should STFU.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by potscrubber View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but feel I should point out that the SC editor has had a bit of development in the last few years. The addition of threshold and range parameters made cleaning noise in classical that much more effective. For high efficiency when charging through a lot of edits, the integration into the app is still a massive plus.
That is interesting. I'm still on Pro 10 so figured it was business as usual in that regard. How is overall stability with Samp these days?

Thanks,
Brock
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmaster View Post
I couldn't find anything in Studio One resembling object based editing.
And that's my point about it not being as intuitive as the Samplitude implementation. Studio One refers to this as "Event FX" instead of "object editing" - so that should point you in the proper location for documentation search.

There's a better way to get there that is less convoluted, but it escapes me at the moment. Keep in mind I'm also on Version 2 still. In version 2 if you open the Inspector view you will see "Event FX" towards the middle and additional parameters below. There you can enable Event FX, adjust the tail for effects post end of event for verbs/delays, adjust individual parameters for fades, tempos, etc.

It would be great for them to implement an open Event FX via double click on event or something similar to Samplitude - but my guess is that people aren't too hip to this feature so it sits hidden but implemented. I swear there was a button to open this at the surface, but I can't find it in the GUI at the moment. I have been relying more on overall automation but open the inspector to get there when I want the advantages of object based editing.

Samplitude has easier navigation tools associated with this feature, but the Studio One implementation is fairly comprehensive.

I also did not find it until someone, I think on Gearslutz, clued me in on the secret handshake.

Cheers,
Brock

Edit: Here's the info from the manual:

6.11 Event Effects
It is possible to insert effects directly on an Audio Event in the arrangement, as opposed to
inserting effects on the entire audio channel for the related Track, thereby affecting all Events
on the Track. Event Effects are commonly used to add variety to the arrangement or to insert
utility effects, such as pitch correction, into specific Events.
6.11.1 Insert Event Effects
To insert an effect on an Event, select the Event and open the Inspector by pressing [F4] on the
keyboard. In the Event Inspector area of the Inspector, you will see an Event FX tab with an
Enable button. Click on Enable, and an Insert Device Rack will open.
Insert effects or FX Chains here, as you normally would, and the Event will
then be processed accordingly, in real time, during playback. The resulting
sound will be exactly as if you had inserted the effect on the Track: You will
hear all other tracks play and can make effects-parameter changes while
hearing the results in context with the rest of the mix.
As Event Effects may alter the relative volume of an Event, thereby skewing
existing volume fade envelopes, an option has been provided to process
volume envelopes after Event Effects. Click on the far left icon next to Tail,
in the area above the Insert Device Rack, to enable this option.
6.11.2 Render Event Effects
Once the intended sound is achieved via an Event Effect, it is likely a good idea to render the
audio in order to conserve CPU resources. Studio One provides a very flexible way to do this
that allows you to revert to real-time processing at any time in order to make changes.
To render any Audio Event with inserted Event Effects, click on Render above the Event FX
Insert Device Rack. The Insert Device Rack will collapse, a new Audio Event with the rendered
audio will replace the original Event in the arrangement, and the Render button will be
labeled Restore. At any time, click on Restore to replace the rendered Event with the original
and restore any inserted effects to their pre-rendered states.
When rendering Event FX, note that the Tail setting above the Insert Device Rack allows you to
specify a length to render beyond the end of the Audio Event. This is critical to properly
capturing reverb tails, delay lines, and other similar audio tails caused by inserted effects.
When a Tail value is given, a volume fade will be applied across the entire length of that tail on
the rendered Event after rendering to ensure smooth-sounding results. This fade envelope can
then be modified, as usual.
The ability to seamlessly move back and forth from real-time Event FX processing and
rendered audio is unique to Studio One and enables you to add variety to your arrangements
and use CPU-intensive plug-ins without continuous strain on your computer

Last edited by Bstapper; 11th October 2016 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Added Studio One Documentation
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How is overall stability with Samp these days?
New user here - about 10 months with ProX2 Suite. Stability has not been an issue with Windows 10. Not tempted to go x3
Let's see what Magix does with all their new Sony acquired software.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSGUY View Post
New user here - about 10 months with ProX2 Suite. Stability has not been an issue with Windows 10. Not tempted to go x3
Let's see what Magix does with all their new Sony acquired software.
Thanks - I almost upgraded last week as they sent me a pretty killer deal via email special.

Suppose I should go ahead and get caught up at some point...

As for the Sony software, that will be interesting to see. They could make a serious run at a professional video editing system, but instead will probably release a build your own video greeting card program. Or both. I'm a fan of those quirky guys so I hope they keep their professional software a priority.
Old 11th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Samplitude's object editing goes far beyond simply adding effects to a clip. Sonar has basic clip effects and gain/pan etc, but Samplitude presents in a unified interface almost every possible manipulation you can imagine for a clip. It's great if you have a bunch of independent pieces of music which you want to independently manipulate before running them through a common track effect chain. I don't find it to be a good replacement for automation in music production - not that I can use Samp for music making anyway...

here's a picture of the Samplitude object editor.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...g-053011-1.png
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As for the Sony software, that will be interesting to see. They could make a serious run at a professional video editing system, but instead will probably release a build your own video greeting card program.
so funny and so true. Thanks, I needed to laugh today
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is interesting. I'm still on Pro 10 so figured it was business as usual in that regard. How is overall stability with Samp these days?

Thanks,
Brock
I can't really answer that I'm sorry, as I only use it a couple of ways (and there are so many ways to use it). Sometimes it's incredibly stable, sometimes incredibly unstable. I'm on Sequoia 13. I made a lot of money with it - does that help?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Samplitude's object editing goes far beyond simply adding effects to a clip. Sonar has basic clip effects and gain/pan etc, but Samplitude presents in a unified interface almost every possible manipulation you can imagine for a clip. It's great if you have a bunch of independent pieces of music which you want to independently manipulate before running them through a common track effect chain. I don't find it to be a good replacement for automation in music production - not that I can use Samp for music making anyway...

here's a picture of the Samplitude object editor.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...g-053011-1.png
I am very familiar with samplitude and the object editor. What functions do you find available that are not present in Studio One?

Other than easier access to cross fade variables there is nothing there that isn't available in studio one.

Regards,
Brock
Gear Head

Quote:
And that's my point about it not being as intuitive as the Samplitude implementation. Studio One refers to this as "Event FX" instead of "object editing" - so that should point you in the proper location for documentation search.

There's a better way to get there that is less convoluted, but it escapes me at the moment. Keep in mind I'm also on Version 2 still. In version 2 if you open the Inspector view you will see "Event FX" towards the middle and additional parameters below. There you can enable Event FX, adjust the tail for effects post end of event for verbs/delays, adjust individual parameters for fades, tempos, etc.

It would be great for them to implement an open Event FX via double click on event or something similar to Samplitude - but my guess is that people aren't too hip to this feature so it sits hidden but implemented. I swear there was a button to open this at the surface, but I can't find it in the GUI at the moment. I have been relying more on overall automation but open the inspector to get there when I want the advantages of object based editing.

Samplitude has easier navigation tools associated with this feature, but the Studio One implementation is fairly comprehensive.

I also did not find it until someone, I think on Gearslutz, clued me in on the secret handshake.

Cheers,
Brock

Edit: Here's the info from the manual:

6.11 Event Effects
It is possible to insert effects directly on an Audio Event in the arrangement, as opposed to
inserting effects on the entire audio channel for the related Track, thereby affecting all Events
on the Track. Event Effects are commonly used to add variety to the arrangement or to insert
utility effects, such as pitch correction, into specific Events.
6.11.1 Insert Event Effects
To insert an effect on an Event, select the Event and open the Inspector by pressing [F4] on the
keyboard. In the Event Inspector area of the Inspector, you will see an Event FX tab with an
Enable button. Click on Enable, and an Insert Device Rack will open.
Insert effects or FX Chains here, as you normally would, and the Event will
then be processed accordingly, in real time, during playback. The resulting
sound will be exactly as if you had inserted the effect on the Track: You will
hear all other tracks play and can make effects-parameter changes while
hearing the results in context with the rest of the mix.
As Event Effects may alter the relative volume of an Event, thereby skewing
existing volume fade envelopes, an option has been provided to process
volume envelopes after Event Effects. Click on the far left icon next to Tail,
in the area above the Insert Device Rack, to enable this option.
6.11.2 Render Event Effects
Once the intended sound is achieved via an Event Effect, it is likely a good idea to render the
audio in order to conserve CPU resources. Studio One provides a very flexible way to do this
that allows you to revert to real-time processing at any time in order to make changes.
To render any Audio Event with inserted Event Effects, click on Render above the Event FX
Insert Device Rack. The Insert Device Rack will collapse, a new Audio Event with the rendered
audio will replace the original Event in the arrangement, and the Render button will be
labeled Restore. At any time, click on Restore to replace the rendered Event with the original
and restore any inserted effects to their pre-rendered states.
When rendering Event FX, note that the Tail setting above the Insert Device Rack allows you to
specify a length to render beyond the end of the Audio Event. This is critical to properly
capturing reverb tails, delay lines, and other similar audio tails caused by inserted effects.
When a Tail value is given, a volume fade will be applied across the entire length of that tail on
the rendered Event after rendering to ensure smooth-sounding results. This fade envelope can
then be modified, as usual.
The ability to seamlessly move back and forth from real-time Event FX processing and
rendered audio is unique to Studio One and enables you to add variety to your arrangements
and use CPU-intensive plug-ins without continuous strain on your computer
It's a revelation. Thank you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What functions do you find available that are not present in Studio One?
All from within the individual Object Editor, not the Track Editor, at the Object level.

Object Automation.[Vol, Pan, Aux, Plugs, wotnot]
Object Aux Sends.
Object Time Stretch / Pitch Shift.[Elastic Audio Pitch Automation + 7 other types]
Object Fade-In Out.
Object Take Selection
Object Content.[Files, Broadcast Wave Management]
Object Start/Length/End.
Object Parameter Copy.[Individually or To All other objects]
Object MIDI Editor.
Object Loop/Range Management.
Object Phase.
Object Solo/Mute.
Object Navigation[Vertical/Horizontal]
Object Snapshots.[+Copy]
Object Colour.
Object Normalize.
Object Name.
Object 1990's Legacy Mode

Quote:
The ability to seamlessly move back and forth from real-time Event FX processing and rendered audio is unique to Studio One and enables you to add variety to your arrangements and use CPU-intensive plug-ins without continuous strain on your computer
Nope. Hit freeze in Samp's Object Editor and off it goes. Hit it again and back it comes. Been like that for more years than I care to remember.

Quote:
Samplitude presents in a unified interface almost every possible manipulation you can imagine for a clip.
I concur.

ns
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am very familiar with samplitude and the object editor. What functions do you find available that are not present in Studio One?

Other than easier access to cross fade variables there is nothing there that isn't available in studio one.
I am not familiar with Studio One, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question. You're familiar with both, and you are stating that they have comparable features, minus the cross fade editor. I think that sounds great. As I said, I'm not particularly happy with the direction Magix has taken with Samplitude - I may wish to look into Studio One, especially if I can replace some of my Samplitude workflows in it. Maybe you can tell Samplitude users how to do some of these things.

How do you add aux sends to an object in S1? Non-destructive normalize? Can you change the underlying audio file? Integrated EQ or do you have to add a plugin?

If possible, I would also like to see an image of the S1 object editor interface. One of the great things about Samplitude's is that it offers such a comprehensive array of tools in one place. I've taken the trouble to attach the Clip Properties pane from Sonar as an example. As you can see, it has far fewer tools available, though of course much of the Samplitude toolkit can be reproduced, with a bit more bother, by inserting effects.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Samplitude Pro X3 released-screenshot.27.jpg  
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As you stated, there are no stock plugs like the Slamp layout so you would use either included effects or 3rd party via drag and drop/rearrange.

For send effects there are a couple of options - included send/return for hardware effects with manually configurable delay compensation or auto ping for delay calculation. For internal effects you would have to use a separate track. Never had the need to route an object to an effects bus here.

Normalize is a one click nondestructive parameter. In addition you can tune and adjust the tempo of the object from within the inspector. Additionally you can save and drag and drop entire signal chains so it is no additional bother once you set your chain once - with arguably better results than stock plugs depending on your chain.

There are advantages to both approaches to object editing. Samplitude is quicker to navigate and has more available on the surface. Studio one can provide that functionality with some items being an extra step and some on the surface.

There is certainly no loss of workflow - just a modified approach. And I'm sure if I were more shortcut savvy that the navigation would be comparable.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 12th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a little vid I found just for effects application:

http://youtu.be/HUBo5MAVp54

There are a few screenshots on the web. Here's one showing the event Fx attached
Attached Thumbnails
Samplitude Pro X3 released-img_0666.jpg  
Old 12th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is the Samplitude Object Editor. All real-time as well.

Regards
Kraznet
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post

Regards
Kraznet
I'm a Studio One user and been following Samplitude for ages and I can say that I've used almost all the major DAW on the market from Cubendo to Cakewalk to Sonar to PTools, Samplitude/Sequoia to now Reaper (always in the back just in case) and finally Studio one (where I'm a happy camper) and I must say that there's NO DAW out there that can compete with Samplitude/Sequoia Object Editor. Not yet The Object Editor is for me what makes Samp so appealing but gosh I must be honest, I hate the workflow. For me I never get the hang of it. It always feels like there's sooo much going in terms of Menu, so much crowded and yet it's feels like they keep on adding things but not all is working "in a user friendly" way.

Samplitude route reminds me a bit of Cakewalk when it became Sonar. Sonar has struggled for a few years with bunch of bugs and lots of features but was way to crowded again... and smart as they were (Sonar), they went on and Re-write the damn software so it can feel and work fluent.

Thats what I find missing or that the people at Magix are having hard time getting it right. The DAW is one of the BEST, we all know, has one of the best buitl-in plugins, the most amazing Object Editor on the market till today, unrivaled yet but they don't seem to be able to clean things out by keeping the most advanced stuff under the hood but make it less OVERWHELMING.

By the way this is just my personal experience. Nothing I'm saying here by no means says that Samplitude ain't a great DAW etc.. I know lot of folks using it and they are happy. Each their own. What matters is the results in the end ;-)

As a Studio One user, I'm positive something like the Object editor a la S1 is on route... they already started with their "Chanel Editor" and it's a matter of time ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post

Regards
Kraznet
Thanks Kraznet -

I appreciate you bringing this thread back on topic and apologize for the detour.

Having been a samplitude user for so long I actually have to adjust for the workflow of other daws and find samplitude intuitive.

As for it being overwhelming, it is fully customizable for different workflows but I do understand how it may appear to be a daunting piece of software at first glance.

My issues with development for the last couple of major revisions have been strictly in respect to stability. It may be time to take another look.

Cheers,
Brock
πŸ“ Reply