The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iZotope releases Neutrino - Free Spectral Shaping Plug-In Saturation Plugins
Old 15th September 2016
News Desk Editor

iZotope releases Neutrino - Free Spectral Shaping Plug-In

Add that final polish to your mix with Neutrino, a free spectral shaping plug-in that offers a glimpse into iZotope's newest mixing technology. Insert Neutrino on multiple tracks across your session to reveal a subtle amount of detail that can help elevate great mixes to a new level of refinement.

Neutrino is ultra efficient and designed to add balance and focus to a mix when applied to every track, conceptually similar to analog summing or console emulations. With simple controls and low-CPU usage, you can achieve better balanced mixes without sacrificing dynamics and sonic integrity. Best of all, it's free to download, and easy to use.

Learn how to get started with Neutrino: https://www.izotope.com/en/community...-with-neutrino

Learn more about Neutrino's spectral shaping: https://www.izotope.com/en/community...ectral-shaping

Supported operating systems: Windows: 7, 8, and 10/Mac: OS X 10.9–10.11

Plug-in formats: VST 2 (32-bit and 64-bit), VST 3 (32-bit and 64-bit), Audio Unit (32-bit and 64-bit), AAX (64-bit), RTAS (32-bit), Audiosuite DPM and AAX.

Download now: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/neutrino.html
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Maniac
iZotope Neutrino - Free Spectral Shaping Plug-In

Add that final polish to your mix with Neutrino, a free Spectral Shaping plug-in that offers a glimpse into iZotope's newest mixing technology. Insert Neutrino on multiple tracks across your session to reveal a subtle amount of detail that can help elevate great mixes to a new level of refinement.

Neutrino is ultra efficient and designed to add balance and focus to a mix when applied to every track, conceptually similar to analog summing or console emulations. With simple controls and low-CPU usage, you can achieve better balanced mixes without sacrificing dynamics and sonic integrity. Best of all, it's free to download, and easy to use.

Download for free here: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/neutrino.html

Last edited by The Press Desk; 15th September 2016 at 08:20 PM..
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Addict

I'm playing 10 minutes with this plug and really enjoying it.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear
Ill bite. I'm also curious, much like airwindow's stuff, how this fits into the flow after things like VCC. Do they work together just fine? I am assuming this just needs to be the last thing on every track and set at mostly neutral unless you want to amplify the effect.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Seeing as they are talking how this is a glimpse into iZotope's newest mixing technology, I'm fully expecting this to be incorporated into Alloy 3. Boom!
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

What am I missing with this? I can't really hear it doing much at all.

I guess it is well named... like it's quantum namesake, it is virtually undetectable!
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

At first listen I like what it does.

Not so fond of the 'detail' knob though. Set it around 30%. It gets in the way imo.
The 'detail' knob brings what part I did not like in the demo videos and the Groove3 video. I think too much transient energy that gets in front of the intimacy of each sound.

The 'amount' knob can be higher than the 50%.
Just tried it on a simple instrumental piece with 6 tracks that was semi mixed.
It gives the instruments a bit more definition in the mix.
Maybe comparable with Airwindows Console4 that I just played with.
Will surely keep trying this.

Just an extra thing that gives a bit extra separation to an already well mixed track.

Thanks Izotope.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Very interesting concept but to me it makes digital sound more digital (weird, isn't it?). Just tried it and didn't like it a single bit. Too bad, seemed promising.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Head

This is really subtle. Honestly have a hard time hearing what it does most of the times.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Addict

I found I could sense more of what was going on when I listened through headphones. Definitely an interesting effect.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
Seeing as they are talking how this is a glimpse into iZotope's newest mixing technology, I'm fully expecting this to be incorporated into Alloy 3. Boom!
Man, Alloy has been collecting dust.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

Free .99?

Take my download.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Addict
You should easily hear the process If you dial up both to 100% then disable. It's similar to Melda' s MSpectralDynamics. I dial it way back on drum mixes, higher on bass gtr..adjust to taste.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Addict

I also found out on the examples posted that in some cases it can make a mix harsher. However, I do believe it will see some use in my mixes. It doesn't have to be pushed hard nor used on every single track as suggested by Izotope. I think it can indeed add some clarity to specific elements in a mix and be a good weapon if used wisely. Looks like a nice freebie. Already downloaded and installed. Will play with it on the weekend. Thanks, Izotope
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Getting weird results in Logic X here. Sound seems to change over time on the bass preset. If i run a bassloop i can dial in a cool sound but then after a few loops it sounds like there is less or no processing again. Didn't try the other modes yet. Bug?
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crims View Post
Getting weird results in Logic X here. Sound seems to change over time on the bass preset. If i run a bassloop i can dial in a cool sound but then after a few loops it sounds like there is less or no processing again. Didn't try the other modes yet. Bug?
I believe that Neutrino changes itself automatically, based on what I read on the iZotope website:

"Because Neutrino is constantly listening and adjusting to the incoming signal, changes made on the Detail knob may take a second to adjust, so we suggest that you make a small adjustment, pause, then listen to the effect it’s had on your signal. Fast adjustments, especially to extremes of the control, may not be heard immediately as Neutrino catches up. "
This is different to what you described, but might be related.
Old 16th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crims View Post
The only bug in v. 1.0. seems to be a 1 sample latency that's not reported correctly to LPX, with or without internal bypass on. Also, 0% Amount/0% Detail is not transparent.

It's an "intelligent" plug-in so it constantly analyzes and processes based on the input.

Here's an example of what the processing itself sounds like on a vocal, dialled all the way up.

Please notice that this is NOT how Neutrino sounds on a vocal and it's not possible to get the actual processing output alone (with this method).

This is a shot a demonstrating the adaptable processing, which is why you'll hear it phasing back and forth against the source (which I've nulled as closely as possible, after correcting the latency bug)-

A static EQ or regular wideband dynamic process would sound very different to this:

Neutrino processing soloed

And again: it's not supposed to sound good or right, but reveal the adaptable nature of the processing.

I think it's very interesting technology and with more flexibility added I'm excited to hear more.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Here's an example of what the processing itself sounds like on a vocal, dialled all the way up.

Please notice that this is NOT how Neutrino sounds on a vocal and it's not possible to get the actual processing output alone (with this method).

This is a shot a demonstrating the adaptable processing, which is why you'll hear it phasing back and forth against the source (which I've nulled as closely as possible, after correcting the latency bug)-

A static EQ or regular wideband dynamic process would sound very different to this:

Neutrino processing soloed

And again: it's not supposed to sound good or right, but reveal the adaptable nature of the processing.

I think it's very interesting technology and with more flexibility added I'm excited to hear more.
Your experiment to reveal what it is adding kind of reminds me of the way the Noveltech Vocal Enhancer sounds.
Old 16th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Your experiment to reveal what it is adding kind of reminds me of the way the Noveltech Vocal Enhancer sounds.
Thanks for the tip, it's an interesting area of processing.
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

At the beginning I listen to what it does, but, then you also listen to it fading way, until it´s effect disappears.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
At the beginning I listen to what it does, but, then you also listen to it fading way, until it´s effect disappears.
I love how VladG, the man behind the original "troll" console emu, is the first to have enjoyed it
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut

Basically a harmonic enhancer?
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01930 View Post
Basically a harmonic enhancer?
In practical usage the "amount" knob works more like a console emulation. The "detail" knob is the enhancement but has a rather odd sound, so I generally find that I turn it almost all the way down or off. This is an interesting tool to have, but I don't think I'll be using it a lot. So far the main thing I've found it helpful for was making low level background elements more audible in a mix. It has also been effective as a console emu on one irritatingly nasal vocal. I tend to prefer "amount" values somewhere from 0 to 20%.
Old 16th September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Weird. Is this some sort of pitch-shifting..?
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Addict

If you want to know what's going on, just follow the link in the description:

https://www.izotope.com/en/community...ectral-shaping

Quote:
It is a form of subtle, low-ratio compression that is employed individually across dozens of frequency bands as necessary, with unique time constants and automatic adjustment of thresholds based on the incoming audio signal.
Old 17th September 2016
Brb
Gear Addict

On The website it says it doesn't add distortion like analog summing does
Old 17th September 2016
Tried it across a few different mixes, really liking it! Works best on the cleaner mixes for me, or maybe its just easier to hear the niceness of it on those.

Only thing is plugs like these really would benefit from a group bypass. Izotope isn't alone in not having this feature of course, but would be nice..
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

This is a company that doesn't just emulate 'holy grail' gear like most others. I appreciate that.

My gripe has always been with their upgrade scheme. Good god, it's a king's ransom if you own most everything.

But yea, thanks for this. I dig it.
Old 17th September 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
What am I missing with this? I can't really hear it doing much at all.

I guess it is well named... like it's quantum namesake, it is virtually undetectable!
I'm having a hard time hearing a different in the video demos too. I guess my curiosity will force me into installing the demo and trying for myself.
Old 19th September 2016
Don't we have Dynamic Sound Mapper 2 for this already? Well, Neutrino is simpler for sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search