All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SKnote present "Natural Drums" - Drum Kits and Virtual Drummers
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

SKnote present "Natural Drums" - Drum Kits and Virtual Drummers

Need to record the drums for a new song? We need:

- A good, well tuned kit.
- To write down the part.
- To tell the drummer about the overall feeling.
- To set the tracking system. Microphones, etc.
- To set up the room.
- To process and mix the tracks.
- To add room sound where needed.

This is the simple concept behind our new "Natural Drums" series of plugins:

- One kit, one player, one studio.

The first one is "Motor Town". We used a custom Mahogany set of shells (made in Italy) and great Italian (again) cymbals.

We added microphone emulations (from Condensers to Dynamics to Ribbons), a full set of effects (EQs and Compressors), Rooms.

And a virtual Drummer, with an internal sequencer and a set of macro controls like "Swing", "Strength", "Timing", "Inertia", etc.

Use "Words" (e.g. "a triplet on the snare ending with a ghost note") to write down "Phrases" (loops), send MIDI notes to call Phrases and get the whole drums part.
Or just download Grooves from an ever growing free database online.

These are a few raw samples (all effects are inactive, lots of natural room).

Groove #1

Groove #17

Groove #24

Groove #36

Groove #38

More on sknoteaudio.com here:

Drumming examples

VST/AU/AAX/32/64bit

Released Oct 2016, come to see it in action in our booth #632 at AES in L.A.
Say "I know about your goodies" and we'll give you something very special from Sicily

Well, we are expanding more. Mirko is our new responsible for audio content, meaning all the new stuff based on samples and tracks, starting from the Natrural Drums line.

He did all the testing and the demos of drums you can hear on http://www.sknoteaudio.com in the "Natural Drums" page:

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index....nd-and-player/

Like these:

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_17.mp3

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_24.mp3

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_35.mp3

He just registered here, will be the source for help, assistance, getting suggestions, ideas and whatever about our "content" products :party:

Last edited by quintosardo; 11th October 2016 at 01:46 PM..
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds good, Q.

Can i play this with a V-Drum?
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, even though it is not its goal. Samples are thought for its virtual player, which means more kinds of touches (which a Vdrum doesn't transmit, or does differently), less levels.

The original goal is to write down parts easily and get them played with macro control on the performance.

Or get grooves ready from libraries but keep full control on them (as opposed to multitrack loops or libraries based on MIDI performances).
Old 14th September 2016
Here for the gear

Digging the overtones on the toms.

Curious though, since v-drums can't send as much information, can the virtual drummers touches be applied after the fact? I'm also a v-drummer

Excited to check this out when available.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

You don't have to think of the touches, just describe the part. Better written than played
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

Well, an important detail was missing! Coming as VST/AU/AAX/32/64bit.
Old 24th September 2016
Gear Addict

Library size? When will other drumkits be released?
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

This kit is about 600MB.

Rock drumset coming Oct (a great DW kit, tracked in S. Diego).

Currently working on Jazz (custom Italian maple kit, with UFIP cymbals, tracked here),

and on Punk-Rock (to be tracked in Chicago with somebody quite well known and one more probably in NY).
Old 24th September 2016
Gear Addict

600? That's small. Thanks for the answer!
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, libraries are focused to the player and are simple, real kits, not anthologies of shells and cymbals. Fast and immediate loading.
Old 24th September 2016
Gear Addict

Sounds good. Can't wait to try them in oktober.
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing the rock kit for sure. I'm not one for grooves and stuff, I like to build up my drums by hand in the midi piano roll. If I can still do that, I'm very interested. I don't need a gazillion drums and cymbals, "simple, real kits" that sound good is all I need.
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

This one is for writing drums parts yourself (even though libraries of ready grooves are available).

The point is: MIDI sequences don't let the "virtual drummer" know what it is playing, because they are just single, unrelated notes. So, you don't have control on the performance. For example: swing.

Here you use "words" to build "phrases". This structure lets you control the performance after it is written and gives that human feeling.

"Ok, now please play the same but with a little bit lighter touch, more relaxed and with a bit of swing".
Old 28th September 2016
Lives for gear

Very promising !
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Guru
This is wonderful! I use an Alesis SR18 as a drum machine to lay down a basic beat and then overlay with a Korg Wavedrum accents and fills. This will be great if you just have basic grooves that work with that. I know people program with midi, but I like a more organic feel and like to pick a pattern and play to it as a base and then dress it up after. The biggest problem with the Alesis, is there are perhaps a half dozen really nice basic beats for ballad type stuff out of the 100 or so beats in it. The rest are not for my style of music and the fills sound stupid. Generating my own and accenting the beats makes it less canned and static. I could see something like this being great!
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Nut

This is excellent - looking forward to the punk rock kits!

If only the virtual player's performance could be exported as MIDI to use this as input to SSD or BFD etc...
Old 29th September 2016
Lives for gear

The coordination between drummer and samples is its strength
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Maniac

please one kit with 5 toms 2 kicks and more than 5 cymbals!!! pleases!
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sure! Probably for the upcoming Metal plugin! :D
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

Currently playing songs with our new virtual drummer, stop by booth #632 to check it

Looks like it can play quite natural, we've been listening to it like ten hours now and we still didn't go crazy
Old 1st October 2016
Lives for gear
Those clips sound great. Nice and organic. Not overly processed. Cool!
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

It is also thanks of the use of great Earthworks microphones as the basis of our Microphone Modeling algorithms included in this drumset

Last edited by quintosardo; 8th October 2016 at 08:01 AM..
Old 8th October 2016
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
It is also thanks of the use of great Earthworks microphones as the basis of our Microphone Modeling algorithms included in this drumset
This looks really cool to me. Is this anything like rayzoon jamsticks? (which I found really powerful as a song creator -- with samples that got a little long in the tooth)

In Jamsticks you really could write in what you wanted, albeit in a non-intuitive, highly coded manner. If so, I don't understand how that is inputted based on this interface.

Or is it more like EZ drummer, which gives you a good bit of control over pre-made loops?

Or both?

I'll be keeping an eye out for more info.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

A video will make it clear.

You work with "words", which are groups of notes. Like single hits, couples, and so on, including info on the meaning of each hit. Quite simple, simpler than writing down MIDI sequences. But, you are telling more to the drummer.

This is an example of a simple pattern:

Right Hand: Hh Hh Hh Hh (closed Hhat, hit+ghost)
Left hand: _ S _ Ss (pause, snare hit, pause, snare hit+ghost)
Right foot: B .b B _ (Bassdrum hit, half-beat ghost, hit, pause)

You get used to this very fast. All those samples on the website are written like this. Written down but they sound quite natural because after you gave all this info to the player you can manage macro-parameters.

For example, my example above contains several couples so you can add amounts of "Swing".
Old 10th October 2016
Gear Addict

This is a great concept and the sound quality seems top notch! I am excited about this product. What will the price be? Will additional kits cost extra?
Old 10th October 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks Surfkat, glad you like the demos

Still to be announced but price is quite low and kits are separate plugins (because the whole drummer and set of effects is tailored to the style).
Old 11th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post

Still to be announced but price is quite low and kits are separate plugins (because the whole drummer and set of effects is tailored to the style).
While I have your attention, do you plan to offer your current software products in AAX format?
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfkat View Post
While I have your attention, do you plan to offer your current software products in AAX format?
Absolutely yes, they are coming one by one now. C165a just added, Mac version probably today, Necklace and GTS39 following this week, the other ones coming fast. AAX-DSP too for most of them.
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Well, we are expanding more. Mirko is our new responsible for audio content, meaning all the new stuff based on samples and tracks, starting from the Natrural Drums line.

He did all the testing and the demos of drums you can hear on www.sknoteaudio.com in the "Natural Drums" page:

Natural Drumsets – Drumset plugins with natural sound and player. | www.sknoteaudio.com

Like these:

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_17.mp3

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_24.mp3

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/wp-con...6/09/ND_35.mp3

He just registered here, will be the source for help, assistance, getting suggestions, ideas and whatever about our "content" products :party:

Old 11th October 2016
Here for the gear

The wait is almost over, even a few days and the product will be officially released!

Hi everyone, this is Mirko - guitarist's hands serving virtual drum's world . In the last few months i've had the pleasure to experience Natural Drums, the easiest way to transcribe even the hardest drum tracks. I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Feel free to contact me for any doubt, suggestion, criticism (do not be too ruthless! ). This is my e_mail
[email protected]

Now is the time to go back to fill the libraries, i'll make you hear short samples soon.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search