The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harrison releases Mixbus v3.6, and FREE DEMOS of Mixbus and Mixbus32C
Old 6th September 2016
Harrison Consoles

Software Harrison releases Mixbus v3.6, and FREE DEMOS of Mixbus and Mixbus32C

Harrison recently launched Mixbus version 3.6, a free update for our existing users, which incorporates all of the great features that have been added to Mixbus since the original 3.0 launch:
And now, due to popular demand, Harrison has published a demo of our two popular software packages - “Mixbus” and “Mixbus32C” - for your evaluation!

The demo is fully functional: you can save sessions, use third-party plugins, and use external controllers. The demo will occasionally generate a low-level noise which prevents you from publishing the resulting mix, but otherwise it allows you to fully evaluate Mixbus.

Mixbus is a full-featured Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) with "True Analog Mixing": a combination of Harrison's world-renowned sound and features in an affordable, knob-per-function interface. Mixbus provides unlimited audio & MIDI tracks with extensive features for recording, arranging, editing, mixing and mastering your audio.

Mixbus runs on nearly any Mac or Windows desktop computer, and it uses your existing sound I/O device.

Mixbus32C has all the great features of Mixbus, with the addition of the famous Harrison 32Series equalizer and 4 additional stereo buses available from each mixer strip.

Both demo packages include a free copy of the excellent SetBfree tonewheel organ instrument, plus evaluation copies of 12 highly-specialized Harrison plugins for the tasks of recording, mixing and mastering. We’ve also increased the timeout on the plugins so you can better evaluate them.

You can learn more and download the free demos at Harrison’s Mixbus and Mixbus32C product pages:
Harrison Consoles: Mixbus
Harrison Consoles: Mixbus32C

Last edited by Harrison Press; 6th September 2016 at 07:32 PM..
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

How are you guys on demo and multitouch?

I'd love to be able to demo it to see if it's at least useable via single touch on my touch screen.

I'll be waiting.
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

The demo works fine with a touch-screen. We have some Windows10 laptops with touchscreens for testing. I occasionally find myself clicking a "mute" or "solo" on-screen rather than reaching for the mouse.

We have not yet made multi-touch a priority because 55% of our users are on Mac, and there are no mac laptops or desktops with multitouch monitors, yet.

You can use a multitouch app to control Mixbus from a tablet ( like "DAW Remote HD" for iOS, or "TouchDAW" for android)

-Ben at Harrison
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Guru
First time hearing about this. Will users get an e-mail for the update?
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

@ Ardis :

You should have received the v3.6 update a couple of weeks ago. Write our support if you can't find the email in your Inbox or "bulk" folder.

-Ben
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

I'm 99% certain I did get an email about the 3.6 update
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLoftis View Post
We have not yet made multi-touch a priority because 55% of our users are on Mac, and there are no mac laptops or desktops with multitouch monitors, yet.

You can use a multitouch app to control Mixbus from a tablet ( like "DAW Remote HD" for iOS, or "TouchDAW" for android)

-Ben at Harrison
Cool thanks.
I'm not super interested in an iOS app. It could complement my large touch screen, sure, but it's no replacement for a large touch screen.
For example, Pro Tools | Dock with an iPad seems like a joke to me compared to my 27" multi touch monitor with Pro Tools / DTouch or Raven.

I appreciate that there aren't any apple laptops or desktops with touch screens yet and that MacOS doesn't natively support touch screens yet, but I'm here to remind you guys that even though there aren't any macs with touch screens, there are plenty of engineers on macs, with touch screens.
It's an emerging market, for sure, and there are challenges regarding standards etc. but we are here, willing to help/pioneer.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take it for a test drive when I find some time.
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Guru
Duh got confused between the hotfix and an update!
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ben -- I thought I had shared this with you before:

There are at least two touchscreen makers -- PQ Labs and Zaagtech -- that provide multitouch support for OSX.

I can easily help you test this, as I have a 42" Zaagtech touchscreen running on OSX.

You can also acquire some smaller sized frames for some initial testing on your own.
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

just for those that want to know ..... roland VS 700 C (that you can find cheap now ) are working via mackie control
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

by the way i didn't got an email etither , all i have is the last deal on tomtom gate

Edit : isn't it the email about the hotfix ?
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
just for those that want to know ..... roland VS 700 C (that you can find cheap now ) are working via mackie control
Cool!
Old 9th September 2016
Thank you so much for this. Will be trying it out this weekend.
Old 10th September 2016
I downloaded Mixbux 3C and tried it briefly.

First impressions is very positive. I like the mixer layout, feel and the way it works better than Cubase 8.5. The faders are nice and the numbers on the faders seem to provide smoother volume increase and decrease. The EQ sounds great. The drive does add something nice that is different than the UAD Studer that I normally use. Working on the mixer page is very nice, and the Mixbus 1, -4 workflow is a great idea and very easy to use. Want to put a channel on a Mixbus 1, just increase the knob for Mixbus 1 on the channel. The mixer page looks like a real mixer while Cubase looks like this graphical impression of a mixer. When I switched back to Cubase, the mixer looked pretty lame in comparison. I also liked that the inputs are on the top of the channel and outputs are at the bottom. I dont see the read/write for automation. This is needed for me to consider using this program. I miss the Cubase function of hitting the edit button for a channel and the EQ shows you how a guitar or bass freq's across the screen with the plug ins on the left and inserts on the right. But I could get used to the Mixbus way of working.

Project page looks nice but it lacks some of the ions in Cubase to grab certain things like freeze or glue. I was able to scan for plug ins and it found all my plugs in except for the BFD 3 software. Will have to spend more time with the program for them to show up.
Was able to put the project page on one monitor and the mixer on a 2nd monitor.
The bad news is it does not recognize my M Audio Midisport 4x4. I had the same problem with the Sonar demo. Without it seeing this, I cant use the program. Hopefully their tech support can help out.
Old 10th September 2016
Gear Nut

Real talk. I have purchased mixbus but only using it as a ITB summing box. I feel that multitouch is the future for music production and I'm planning to move on to a multitouch platform. Mixbus is like an analog console and I loved the workflow when I first used it but moved away because a single mouse click wasn't good enough for me. Mixbus has a console feel to it and I feel like I should be able to control several controls at once. If multitouch is added, I probably jump to 32c and use it as my main mixing daw. I love the analog sound and the sound that Mixbus has. I think it would be a great idea to put multitouch high up in the priorities that is probably very long and deep. Just my honest opinion. Seems strange that Mixbus doesn't have multitouch to be honest...
Old 10th September 2016
Lives for gear

Guyz , if i recall well , they re supposed to propose a control surface for it ... In the future
Old 12th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfalcon1 View Post
Mixbus has a console feel to it and I feel like I should be able to control several controls at once. If multitouch is added, I probably jump to 32c and use it as my main mixing daw. I love the analog sound and the sound that Mixbus has. I think it would be a great idea to put multitouch high up in the priorities that is probably very long and deep. Just my honest opinion. Seems strange that Mixbus doesn't have multitouch to be honest...
I concur that multitouch would be most ideal.

Further, make it "native" like Presonus is trying to do with Studio One, but make it very responsive, and accurate.

Right now, Mixbus responds to single-touch, but it needs more.

Take a look at how Raven and DTouch are adding extra functionality, regarding macros and features -- such as starting with a mute button, and being able to sweep across to other mute buttons for adding to the selection (even dipping down to avoid some, and grab others) -- those kind of features are not particularly considered "multitouch", but are extremely useful features.

Make all that "native" with Mixbus, and it becomes an advantage for Harrison.
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

I would like to know how the MixBus32c EQ is mapped out on that controller in Pro Tools? The example in the video only shows the smaller 3 band EQ. If I buy 2 Behringer controllers, will the EQ parameters then be mapped out in a claver way, on all 16 rotary knobs?? I would very much like to have access, to the full EQ and compressor strip, without having to bank back and fourth all the time... Like all other HUI controllers and Pro tools... Thanks a lot - I hope it makes sense!
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Mixbus32C assigns the full EQ section to the 8 knobs of the MCU. ( frequency & gain for each of the 4 bands ).

The "filter" frequencies have been moved to share space with the "compressor" controls.

-Ben
Old 25th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mixbus32C assigns the full EQ section to the 8 knobs of the MCU. ( frequency & gain for each of the 4 bands ).

The "filter" frequencies have been moved to share space with the "compressor" controls.

-Ben
Ben, is it possible to implement this in a more logical way?
Filter under compressor? That´s not logical!
You need to use bank switching!
Take a look at how Apple has done this in Logic Pro X, thats logic, (excuse the pun)
I bought a mcu controller (and MB32C) because of your videos, and I´d like to see some progression in this area in the next version of Mixbus 32c.
Old 25th September 2016
Gear Nut

I hope that the layout will not change. I like how Harrison has bring their pro experience in DAW world and i like the dark screen which save my eyes from LED.
Old 26th September 2016
Lives for gear
If Mixbus32C was capable of native multitouch for Mac, I would be all over this.

Here's hoping that Harrison will implement multitouch like Studio One, Sonar, Bitwig and FL Studio.

Last edited by The Oracle; 26th September 2016 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
If Mixbus32C was capable of native multitouch for Mac, I would be all over this.

Here's hoping that Harrison will implement multitouch like Studio One, Sonar, Bitwig and FL Studio.
Hey Oracle,

I have often thought that if the right people hooked up together, multitouch support could be added to Mixbus.

Unfortunately, I'd rather not do it by myself.
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Hey Oracle,

I have often thought that if the right people hooked up together, multitouch support could be added to Mixbus.

Unfortunately, I'd rather not do it by myself.
Hi Bruce

I agree. I hope Harrison can make it happen.
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Guru
the new version of Mixbus is so superior to version 2.5, even rendering is improved. I choke my old laptop and it used to freeze like crazy. This is very forgiving and the putput options are first rate. Been on a long road with the product and feel it really has come into it's own!
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Ben , any Eta on a control surface ?
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ben , any Eta on a control surface ?
I wouldn't count on it - Harrison is in the business of making and selling consoles.

Why would they want to make a good controller to pair with Mixbus and automatically make their consoles obsolete???
Old 4th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
I wouldn't count on it - Harrison is in the business of making and selling consoles.

Why would they want to make a good controller to pair with Mixbus and automatically make their consoles obsolete???
Because they said they're working on it , and also because there's market for both

people that want at first a harrison console will not switch to a full digital ,because it's availlable .... it's like people that think automatc gear will kill manual ones...if somebody come to buy a manual gear , even if a new automatic is close to what manual does, trust me he will go manual anyway
Old 4th October 2016
Gear Guru
I think Harrison is smart enough to know if they diversify, they will make more money. They took the long view with Ardour and seem to have finally gotten Mixbus right. It's an unusual approach using open source software and building their DAW on it. they also have very good sounding plug ins to make it a self contained system. I dare to say you could go "all Harrison" at this point and not need much else. Figure Mixbus has been pretty much in a public beta for a number of years.
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Because they said they're working on it , and also because there's market for both

people that want at first a harrison console will not switch to a full digital ,because it's availlable .... it's like people that think automatc gear will kill manual ones...if somebody come to buy a manual gear , even if a new automatic is close to what manual does, trust me he will go manual anyway
Good luck with that! Their silence is the writing on the wall...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search