The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exponential Audio Nimbus Reverb
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
It's clear zero thought was put into any design or real workflow with multi windows based on tabs, buttons changing positions all over the place, tiny little drop down selectors and hella ugly and 'tells me nothing' rotation knobs.
As a member of the beta team, I can assure you that much thought was put into every aspect of these reverbs. Of course, UI design is always a matter of taste, and there's no one UI that will please everyone! I find the flat designs most functional, so I really like the latest generation of Exponential Audio plugins. I love the sound of LX480, but I have to do a lot more "paging" to find all of the parameters.

Since just about every useful parameter is available to the user, I don't see a way around multiple tabs. I really like the yellow indicator on Nimbus and R4 that quickly shows the parameters you have tweaked since loading the preset or restoring a saved session. And if there are too many parameters, there are over 1000 searchable presets to get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
If the Bricasti didn't exist and Nimbus was a hardware unit it would be the most revered modern reverb unit. In my opinion, of course.
You are correct.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Michael Carnes of Exponential Audio is the same Michael Carnes that did the Lexicon units. I think that's worth noting.
Not only am I already fully aware of that (who isn't by now?) I even mentioned that he previously worked at lexicon in my original post! In your haste to white knight/patronise me over an opinion on a BAD graphical design, you appear to have had your eyes half closed (also explaining why you don't mind the GUI)

Quote:

I think a lot of experienced engineers working on big projects would disagree on that. I find the Phoenixverb GUI to be easy to navigate, and more importantly easy to see values on.
OOH.. experienced hey? Big projects hey? Well I guess there goes all my ability to judge an interface design using all my own unique human tastes and knowing what could be better... In the face of such awesome and unsurpassable mental roadblocks of caring what people working on large projects in post houses think I guess I may just as well crawl into my coffin now and give up on trying to be a unique individual with my own outlook..

No!

And btw I never mentioned the sound being bad, said it was one of the best (how could it not be, coming from the guy it comes from) but I'll never kiss ass for anyone if and when I see a sub par design that could be better.

To the poster above, beta testers around here, without fail, are some of the most arse kissing shills I've ever seen. They get the stuff for free and due to minor involvement with the product tend to defend and champion it irrationally. To a man they claim the product is the best ever, and go way too easy on less than ideal aspects, because they tested it and nobody wants to be on record as testing crap stuff. Human nature.

Now, the paging thing is a minor point, it's more about the ugly layout, insipid eye straining blandness of lacking contrast and zero consistency between elements such as tiny buttons and overlarge knobs.

Now if I had been on the beta team (and I've worked in big software houses doing that in a past life with vastly more complicated stuff than a plugin) then you can bet I'd have had some notes about the GUI that would have made it better for all.

FTR Lexicon PCM, Relab LX-480, Eventide Ultra Reverb, Fabfilter Pro R are 4 of my top verb plug-ins, they all sound great and the best ones (imo) sound better than the exponential stuff, but do note that ALL of them have one thing in common - none of them look like **** or have badly designed interfaces. Sound may be the priority but I don't see why we can't have both in 2018, with so much competition out there why give a free pass to lazy developers who don't cover all the bases of producing a worthy sounding/looking/acting plug-in? EA verbs have GUI issues, end of story.

Last edited by Pro5; 8th January 2018 at 04:36 PM..
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
OOH.. experienced hey? Big projects hey? Well I guess there goes all my ability to judge an interface design using all my own unique human tastes and knowing what could be better...
Maybe if you did a better job of explaining what these "workflow" issues are, maybe the rest of us might agree. I don't understand several of your objections, such as the "tell you nothing" rotary dials - the dials show how much of a parameter has been set on the ring. How do they "tell you nothing"?

Similarly, "buttons changing position all over the place". I can't find any in Nimbus that change position arbitrarily. Do you have examples?

Do you mean between tabs? Why would that even matter? I understand some people don't like tabs. I wonder how they cope with hardware and its endless menu diving. On software like this you either have tabs or something that looks like a Eurorack synth with a potentially, eye-crossingly confusing bank of knobs.

In the meantime, it seems to be a GUI you don't like rather than one that is objectively bad. And I think the responses to your objections reflect that.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Guru

Chill-Pills are cheap and worth trying....
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
From my perspective, the Exponential reverb plugins have bland, but functional interfaces. They're not sexy looking, there's definitely room for improvement in the looks department, but they work very well. I can navigate them easily, and don't have a problem with them.

On the other hand, the LX480 has no preset browser, also has many tabs, and has cryptically named parameters. Now, I get that it's based largely off the hardware design, but I just find it odd that would get brought up as an example of good GUI design by the same person slagging the Exponential GUI's. The LX480 looks pretty but can be cumbersome to interface with, where the Exponential stuff looks superficially bland but it much easier to interface with. Neither is prefect IMO, and both have opportunities for improvement IMO. Sound-wise, both are indeed excellent.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
On the other hand, the LX480 has no preset browser, also has many tabs, and has cryptically named parameters. Now, I get that it's based largely off the hardware design, but I just find it odd that would get brought up as an example of good GUI design by the same person slagging the Exponential GUI's. The LX480 looks pretty but can be cumbersome to interface with, where the Exponential stuff looks superficially bland but it much easier to interface with. Neither is prefect IMO, and both have opportunities for improvement IMO. Sound-wise, both are indeed excellent.
LX480 is apparently supposed to get a preset browser someday, but they are slow as molasses with updates. Having to hit "Load" and open the file system to find a preset is a real workflow killer. Good thing it sounds great and gives me a 480L ITB, so I can overlook the interface! A good cross-platform/DAW-agnostic preset system is important to me, and EA has a great one IMO.

I would also put Lexicon PCM on the list of interfaces that I don't really like. Although the plugins sound great, they just aren't my cup of tea as far as usability goes. I certainly don't agree with the idea that EA plugins have "badly designed interfaces" but LX480 and Lexicon PCM don't.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynick View Post
I would also put Lexicon PCM on the list of interfaces that I don't really like. Although the plugins sound great, they just aren't my cup of tea as far as usability goes. I certainly don't agree with the idea that EA plugins have "badly designed interfaces" but LX480 and Lexicon PCM don't.
Yeah, the Lexi PCM designers made some, erm, intriguing GUI decisions. Such as the "Click for X" text in the impulse/frequency plot section. Click what for what? The text? The image? What happens when I click? After a few attempts: "Oh, I see."

Similarly, the tabs at the bottom in edit mode. The tabs look just like labels. Again, it's easy once you've worked it out. But you have to spend some time working out what to click.

And the tooltips? Clicking on the text does nothing and then you realise after hunting around the UI they are activated by the carefully camouflaged help icon in a completely different part of the interface.

You get used to it but a model of instant usability, it ain't. However, I can see how coming from the design of the hardware they might have made some of those decisions.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

We live in good days for reverb - so many great plugins and Outboard like the Bricasti. 10 years ago there was NO affordable path to world class reverb and now we have SO many great ones. Nimbus being one of them. I agree that the interface is a bit lackluster graphically. But it sounds fantastic. We are blessed to have tools like this available at affordable prices fancy GUI or not.
Old 7th May 2018
mfx
Lives for gear

Just dropping it in here, notice there's been updates to several plugins including Nimbus. Have the mail shots re updates stopped working on EA site?
Ive just resubscribed as Im not sure if its a product of the new EA data usage babble or something else. Anyway heads up if you missed it can see Nimbus, Excalibur, R2 from my side. Think there's been a few others also
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear

Personally I absolutely love Nimbus Not the biggest fan of the UI Design, but I think it is very functional and this is the most important aspect for me.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict
JRRShop license corrupt!

Just purchased license with JRRShop, and it does not work with iLok license manager. Sent them an email, and hope that my money is not lost.

I am still on trial but during this trial I have grown to love Nimbus as my main space creator. Really a great reverb!
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Relab 480L, oh man that is a HORRIBLE interface. Those buttons with that hard to see text in that small window, yuk, horrid for older folks with poor eyes, Nimbus is so much better than that it isn't even funny. The interface on the Relab is THE thing that stops me from using it other than liking other verbs as much.

Nimbus is not visual art, but all I care about is being able to use it without trouble, and I can. Yeah, the presets are a bit smallish, but I don't have to squint nearly as bad as I do for the LX480.

But in the end, all these are algo reverbs. Though I think Nimbus is the best algo reverb slightly over Avon Verberate and Aether, algo reverbs still can touch Nebula reverbs. Nebula reverbs just have such a natural, almost recorded in a great studio room richness to them. That VNXT plate reverb is magic, so are almost all of the nebula verbs. Nebula never used to do compression well, better now days, but reverbs?. Nebula does reverbs the best, and the CPU hit is nowhere near as bad as Waves chambers.

So Nimbus, imo, (and I'm ordering it to be your opinion too) has taken the high ground in the algo reverb war. Acon is charging up the hill at it but Nimbus tosses a grenade down, Acon blood splatters everywhere. Here comes Aether, charging up, but Nimbus set mines below, Aether hits one, it's sitting there, eyes open but with no arms, flopping around. It's gruesome, but war is hell.

But Nebula verbs, they are a superpower.

Have I been working to much today?.
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone using Studio One Pro 4.6.2 and getting complete freeze with very loud pops and glitches before that while flipping between presets or changing preset's setting?

I'm also getting the message showing in the picture, but the session/audio was stopped when I was editing the R4 setting and then got the loud pops and complete freeze.

The same issue happens with Nimbus and R4. I have PhoenixVerb as well but haven't tried on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Exponential Audio Nimbus Reverb-crash-r4.png  
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
Relab 480L, oh man that is a HORRIBLE interface. Those buttons with that hard to see text in that small window, yuk, horrid for older folks with poor eyes, Nimbus is so much better than that it isn't even funny. The interface on the Relab is THE thing that stops me from using it other than liking other verbs as much.

Nimbus is not visual art, but all I care about is being able to use it without trouble, and I can. Yeah, the presets are a bit smallish, but I don't have to squint nearly as bad as I do for the LX480.

But in the end, all these are algo reverbs. Though I think Nimbus is the best algo reverb slightly over Avon Verberate and Aether, algo reverbs still can touch Nebula reverbs. Nebula reverbs just have such a natural, almost recorded in a great studio room richness to them. That VNXT plate reverb is magic, so are almost all of the nebula verbs. Nebula never used to do compression well, better now days, but reverbs?. Nebula does reverbs the best, and the CPU hit is nowhere near as bad as Waves chambers.

So Nimbus, imo, (and I'm ordering it to be your opinion too) has taken the high ground in the algo reverb war. Acon is charging up the hill at it but Nimbus tosses a grenade down, Acon blood splatters everywhere. Here comes Aether, charging up, but Nimbus set mines below, Aether hits one, it's sitting there, eyes open but with no arms, flopping around. It's gruesome, but war is hell.

But Nebula verbs, they are a superpower.

Have I been working to much today?.
Ive been looking for interesting reverbs to try, mostly one with a short decay, non metallic sounding one for the drum bus.
Your comparison is spot on, thank you sir!
📝 Reply