Spectrasonics Announce Keyscape Virtual Keyboard Collection - Page 13 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spectrasonics Announce Keyscape Virtual Keyboard Collection
Old 30th January 2017
well, I have a lot of RAM so I guess I should just try loading it into RAM rather than streaming.
Old 17th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Has Keyscape ever gone on sale?
Old 17th December 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Has Keyscape ever gone on sale?
Not that I've heard of. Sales aren't really Spectrasonics' thing.
Old 17th December 2017
Lives for gear

Spectrasonics doesn't do sales, but you can always use GC or MF coupons on their products. Right now you can get Keyspace for 17% off from Musician's Friend with the coupon code holiday17. Makes it $314.57.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Hello there, I'm asking for anyone's help about Keyscape latency's problem.

Please forgive me, because I'm very new to Virtual Instruments so there may be something obvious to you that isn't to me. I google multiple situations, but can't find any solution. I run Keyscape with SAVI Host on this setup:

Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70Ghz 2.90 GHz
RAM 16,0 Go
SSD 512 Go

I use a M-Audio Multitrack Eight interface (ASIO).

No matter how I change my options (thining the sounds, cancel all effects, changing the buffer size, which is 128 to avoid any glitch, or the sample rate), I have 15 ms of latency. I don't think that's normal. I tried a lot of things, but keep in mind that I don't want to use a DAW. Ideally I want to send the Keyscape stereo signal into some pedals effects and record it on via my interface. So what I do is sending the SAVIHost output in some of the rear analog jack outputs, into my pedals, and plug into the record inputs of the same interface. I know this isn't how you normally do things, but anyway I don't think it impacts my latency problem.

So my questions are, as I'm totally new at this world of virtual instruments:
- is 15 ms latency normal with Keyscape?
- if not, am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can show me the light!
Old 18th April 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Spectrasonics doesn't do sales, but you can always use GC or MF coupons on their products. Right now you can get Keyspace for 17% off from Musician's Friend with the coupon code holiday17. Makes it $314.57.
it seems they do.
Spectrasonics Techshop
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dammit View Post

Please forgive me, because I'm very new to Virtual Instruments so there may be something obvious to you that isn't to me. I google multiple situations, but can't find any solution. I run Keyscape with SAVI Host on this setup:

RAM 16,0 Go
SSD 512 Go

No matter how I change my options (thining the sounds, cancel all effects, changing the buffer size, which is 128 to avoid any glitch, or the sample rate), I have 15 ms of latency. I don't think that's normal. I tried a lot of things, but keep in mind that I don't want to use a DAW. Ideally I want to send the Keyscape stereo signal into some pedals effects and record it on via my interface. So what I do is sending the SAVIHost output in some of the rear analog jack outputs, into my pedals, and plug into the record inputs of the same interface. I know this isn't how you normally do things, but anyway I don't think it impacts my latency problem.

Latency is dictated not by the instrument, but by:

1. ASIO buffer size
2. The audio interface drivers
3. The PC's ability to run at a low ASIO buffer

Assuming you have a decent PC, and the M-Audio drivers are decent, you should be able to open the M-Audio Control Panel type application, and reduce the buffer size to reduce latency. After that, open your Standalone instrument application or DAW and just double check that you're using ASIO and it registered the smaller buffer size. If you went too low and get glitches in playback, you may need to start increasing the buffer size. It's about balance.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Head

Thank you very much for your help!

Indeed, I use ASIO in SAVIHost and checked the buffer in the software and on the M-Audio Control Panel. The smaller buffer size I can play with without having some pops and glitches is 128 samples. But it still induces 15 ms of latency, which I find hard to play on acoustic pianos with a fast tempo.

I understand very well I can't have no latency at all, but I read online that some VST only induce 3 ms. But I checked my latency (by recording both Keyscape and my Volca Keys controlled by my midi keyboard), and there is a 15 ms gap between the two attacks.

To be honest, I think I can produce songs and playing with a 15 ms latency (it's not very different from some of the Mellotron sounds on my M4000-D which sometimes have late attacks), but I was very surprised by this 15 latency. I mean, when I see the Keyscape video with Herbie Hancock, he does'nt seem to mind, so I suspect there's no latency? Or Mr. Hancock can play with or without latency, I don't know.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time!
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ideally I want to send the Keyscape stereo signal into some pedals effects and record it on via my interface. So what I do is sending the SAVIHost output in some of the rear analog jack outputs, into my pedals, and plug into the record inputs of the same interface.
Are your pedals digital FX that produce their own latency, or are they all analogue?
Quote:

RAM 16,0 Go
SSD 512 Go

Your computer is fine. Probably the interface. I use Keyscapes going in MIDI -> USB using iConnectivity and it plays no problem.

I used to have problems with audio interfaces, but when I got the Mio, they went away. Then I upgraded to the iConnectMIDI4+ and that's just as good (I have a Vdrum using MIDI, so I don't have to switch the cords anymore)

IDK the latency, but when I play piano, it doesn't feel delayed or an echo. Same with playing VDrums.

The DAW adds some, sure, but it has to go IN very fast and not really add much latency to sound real-time so the MIDI interface is the key I think.

Just a guess, but that solution works for me and did well on a 2011 iMac 27" and now a 2012 iMac 27", both 16GB, i5 and SSD using Reaper DAW and of course using "Monitor Record" on the DAW to hear the plugin. Although Keyscapes has a standalone, right? I don't use it, but I'm sure it's a little better latency than using the plugin.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Are your pedals digital FX that produce their own latency, or are they all analogue?
All analog with no latency! Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
Your computer is fine. Probably the interface. I use Keyscapes going in MIDI -> USB using iConnectivity and it plays no problem.

I used to have problems with audio interfaces, but when I got the Mio, they went away. Then I upgraded to the iConnectMIDI4+ and that's just as good (I have a Vdrum using MIDI, so I don't have to switch the cords anymore)

IDK the latency, but when I play piano, it doesn't feel delayed or an echo. Same with playing VDrums.

The DAW adds some, sure, but it has to go IN very fast and not really add much latency to sound real-time so the MIDI interface is the key I think.

Just a guess, but that solution works for me and did well on a 2011 iMac 27" and now a 2012 iMac 27", both 16GB, i5 and SSD using Reaper DAW and of course using "Monitor Record" on the DAW to hear the plugin. Although Keyscapes has a standalone, right? I don't use it, but I'm sure it's a little better latency than using the plugin.
Thank you very much for your help and advices, I'll investigate knowing what you just posted!
Old 19th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
it seems they do.
Spectrasonics Techshop
Say what now? Are you saying it's on sale right now? I don't see a sale price on the link you posted?
Old 27th April 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Late to the Party, but i got a question:
I purchased Keyscape and installed it yesterday but it took like 6 or 7 HOURS to install (full version). Is that normal?
I got a USB3 Port and am running two Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD´s but installation was running like FOREVER. I downloaded the installer from their webside (760mb) and extracted the files. Then started the installation (windows). But damn the progress bar is sloooooooow extracting the files (again: somwhere around 6 hours for the whole installation with inserting the second USB card i got within the Keyscape box.) Also i get a lot´s of error messages that sounds are missing and needed to be activated (while then playing fine) others couldn´t load at all.
I already wrote to Spectrasonics, but haven´t heard back from em so far. Just am wondering if anybody had this problem, especially with the super slow extracting.
Old 27th April 2019
My Keyscape installation is 77GB when finished. It sounds like your installation might be downloading data during the install, so a slow connection could explain the delay. (I just reread and noticed that you have the boxed version -- that *should* include all the necessary data so the install should go faster)

Regarding the errors, that shouldn't occur after a proper install. You might download the Software, Patch and Soundsource files from Spectrasonic's site and run those files. They have a habit of putting files in their proper place which might get you going smoothly again.
Old 27th April 2019
adl
Lives for gear

It doesn´t seem to download anything, it´s extracting from the 670mb installer i downloaded, at least that´s what i think it does, judging by the attached screenshot.

I got a i7 8700 with 16GB RAM. So extracting also shouldn´t take so long. I started the installation prior to my written message, so this is the progress after 40 minutes.

EDIT:
It´s weird, as i just read that the download i should see is very small, due to the boxed version i have where everything is on the USB discs, but the download file i get is this 670mb file.
Attached Thumbnails
Spectrasonics Announce Keyscape Virtual Keyboard Collection-unbenannt.png  
Old 27th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
One of the USB drives in my installer was super slow and resulted in corrupt files. The others were much faster. Turns out it was a bum drive. Spectrasonics sent another and everything was all good afterwards. Maybe what's happening to you?
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
One of the USB drives in my installer was super slow and resulted in corrupt files. The others were much faster. Turns out it was a bum drive. Spectrasonics sent another and everything was all good afterwards. Maybe what's happening to you?
Hm, ok. Good to know that these things happen.
Not sure how fast their support is, but so far i heard nothing at all.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Hm, ok. Good to know that these things happen.
Not sure how fast their support is, but so far i heard nothing at all.
I think they're a 9-5 Monday to Friday operation, so I'd expect to wait until Monday. In the meantime, use the instruments that installed correctly and enjoy those.
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just tried to copy the files from the disc itself over to my ssd and the transferrate is around 1-2mb (!) per second. So this actually might be my problem as well.

EDIT:
The second disc as just as slow (1-2mb transferrate). Is that normal? Not sure what the discs provide as speed.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I just tried to copy the files from the disc itself over to my ssd and the transferrate is around 1-2mb (!) per second. So this actually might be my problem as well.

EDIT:
The second disc as just as slow (1-2mb transferrate). Is that normal? Not sure what the discs provide as speed.
That sounds abnormal and similar to my experience, except in my instance, Drive A installed relatively quickly (can't remember exactly how fast) but only Drive B had the issue. Spectrasonics support provided: A) a one-time download so I didn't have to wait, and B) new USB installers via the mail.
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds abnormal and similar to my experience, except in my instance, Drive A installed relatively quickly (can't remember exactly how fast) but only Drive B had the issue. Spectrasonics support provided: A) a one-time download so I didn't have to wait, and B) new USB installers via the mail.
Thanks man, this gives me hope. Will see what the support suggests.
Old 27th April 2019
Yes, that's definitely abnormal. I've installed twice, once on an iMac (2012) and another on a MacBook Pro (2014 15") both 4 quad. I did the download online both times. Quicker than downloading to Dropbox, upload, download via Dropbox to the other computer. My Spectrum can do 50-100 Mbps. Haven't used a disc drive in a while, just backup drives, but they are typically USB3 drives going to USB2 computer ports and I can do about 550-800 GB overnight via USB between SSD drives.

Try a direct online download. Spectrasonic is a great company customer service-wise.
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
Yes, that's definitely abnormal. I've installed twice, once on an iMac (2012) and another on a MacBook Pro (2014 15") both 4 quad. I did the download online both times. Quicker than downloading to Dropbox, upload, download via Dropbox to the other computer. My Spectrum can do 50-100 Mbps. Haven't used a disc drive in a while, just backup drives, but they are typically USB3 drives going to USB2 computer ports and I can do about 550-800 GB overnight via USB between SSD drives.

Try a direct online download. Spectrasonic is a great company customer service-wise.
I can´t really find any direct online download option. Guess i´t because i got the boxed version.

EDIT:
So i bought another installation on their website. It´s 10$, so i gave it a shot. It´s now downloading the 80GB with the Spectrasonics download manager (takes around 3,5 hours). Let´s hope this works better.
Old 28th April 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Let´s hope this works better.
It will. Cheers!
Old 28th April 2019 | Show parent
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
It will. Cheers!
All right, downloaded during the night and just installed (it installed in less than 2 minutes!). Remember the 6 hours before? Boy there IS something wrong with those discs! )

Now every sound loads just fine, no more error messages!

Thanks you guys! I can finally enjoy all those nice sounds.
📝 Reply