The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HoRNet Spikes, a transient processor
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

HoRNet Spikes, a transient processor

HoRNet has released Spikes, a plug-in aimed at audio transient manipulation.
A transient happens every time there is a sudden change in audio level, this plug-in is designed to handle this event and let you decide if you want to increase it and make the sound more snappy or decrease it and put the focus on the body of the sound.
Thanks to intelligent auto release and auto output adjustment, Spikes allows you to handle most of the situations with just the "spikes level" knob, but if you need finer adjustment you can tweak:
  • the detected peak length.
  • the release speed.
  • reduce the weight of low frequencies thanks to the detector high pass filter.
  • impose an upper and lower limit to the gain applied.

HoRNet Spikes is available for 12,99 € for Mac OS X and Windows in VST2, VST3, AU, RTAS and AAX plug-in formats on HoRNet makes some of the best audio plugins VST, AU, Pro Tools
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hello Saverio,

Great to see that your brain is never at rest! How would you compare this to a VCA (fast) or opto (slower) compressor? I can understand that the concept is very similar, but where´s the difference? What can we do with this that we are not able to do with a regular comp?

Thank you!
Old 20th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Can the low & upper limits of the transient management be used on their own, without any increase or decrease to the spike level? Can you 'trap' the transient inside a spesific level range?
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear
I really like the GUI. Great work.
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks for coming up with that. Nice price!
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
Hello Saverio,

Great to see that your brain is never at rest! How would you compare this to a VCA (fast) or opto (slower) compressor? I can understand that the concept is very similar, but where´s the difference? What can we do with this that we are not able to do with a regular comp?

Thank you!
Well at the end the internal processing of a transient designer is similar to that of a compressor, in fact you can think of it as "compessor/expander with relative threshold"

internally you have two different envelopes generated using the same input signal, one has a fast attack, the other one has a slower attack. Sooner or later the slower envelope will reach the level of the fast one, but during this time you have a signal difference that you can use to control the gain of the output. If you increase the gain with this control signal you are actually enhancing the "transients" of the sound, if you decrease the gain you are reducing them so you can have more "body" and less "thump"

It's something you cannot do with a compressor or expander since both use a fixed threshold level and if the signal doesn't reach that level no processing is applied. With Spikes you don't have this limit since the "peak" is detected on the signal itself, independently of the overall level.

Saverio
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
Can the low & upper limits of the transient management be used on their own, without any increase or decrease to the spike level? Can you 'trap' the transient inside a spesific level range?
I'm sorry i think you can't. Those limits are there to limit the maximum gain applied by the processor they aren't brickwall limiters. If you want hard limiting we have Magnus (or the limiter included in TrackUtility MK2)

Saverio
Old 20th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
I'm sorry i think you can't. Those limits are there to limit the maximum gain applied by the processor they aren't brickwall limiters. If you want hard limiting we have Magnus (or the limiter included in TrackUtility MK2)

Saverio
Yes, already tried it and it doesn't seem to do what I was looking for.. Wasn't really looking for a brickwall limiter, something more like SoundRadix's DrumLeveler.

E: Though, I have to add that as a basic transient tool, it sounded quite nice.. and for the price, it really is a no-brainer to anyone wanting something like this.
Old 20th July 2016
Here for the gear

I can't wait to try!
I am in the middle of buying a transient shaper plugin and I was tending to buy the Sonnox new one, but it is way much more expensive!
What most transient shaping plugins lack is the Fast-Slow setting, similar to the Flux BitterSweet. They only have one setting. So I am really curious to check Spikes!
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi, Saverio. Looks nice, will give it a try later today... One thing that I'm interested in is a "listen" mode similar to what's in TransReckon. Would it be difficult to add something like that and is it something you think you'd be interested in adding?

Thanks in advance and congrats on the new plug!
Old 2nd August 2016
Lives for gear
How are you guys liking this plugin?
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Hi I just want to add that Spikes 1.0.1 is available, this update is free (if you already own Spikes) and includes:

* Fixed initialization issue that caused the out meter and gain meter to freeze.
* Improved auto gain that now consider the upper and lower gain limit.

Download the update logging into your account on HoRNet makes some of the best audio plugins VST, AU, Pro Tools
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search