The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Make Studio Mayhem with Sylvia Massy's Recording Unhinged!
Old 8th July 2016
News Desk Editor

Hardware Make Studio Mayhem with Sylvia Massy's Recording Unhinged!

Make Studio Mayhem with Sylvia Massy's Recording Unhinged!-image.jpg

Recording Unhinged: Creative and Unconventional Music Recording Techniques dares you to "unlearn" safe record-making, to get out from behind the windshield, stick your head out the sunroof, and put the pedal to the metal!

"There have been countless how-to books on sound recording, but this isn't one of them. Sylvia Massy has a unique perspective on what makes musicians tick and how great recordings are created. This book is a brilliantly assembled insight into there world and is a cracking good read," says Alan Parsons.

In Recording Unhinged, Sylvia Massy and her cohort of celebrity music industry producers, engineers, and recording stars discard fixed notions about how music should be recorded. They explore techniques that fall outside the norm, yielding emotionally powerful, incredibly personal, gut-wrenching, and even scary recordings. With commentary by Hans Zimmer, Al Schmitt, Bruce Swedien, Jack Joseph Puig, Dave Pensado, Tchad Blake, Bob Clearmountain, Linda Perry, Michael Franti, Michael Beinhorn, Bob Ezrin, Geoff Emerick, and many others, this book includes the stories, tips, and advice that you won't find in any other instructional manual.

"Working with Sylvia on Undertow was an absolute pleasure. Whether recording the destruction of a piano with sledgehammers and shotguns, or dialing in killer drum sounds with the greatest mic choices, her approach was always fresh, fun, and never preconceived. This book will assuredly inspire some wacky recording sessions!", praises Danny Carey (drummer from TOOL).

Recording Unhinged is also unique in its inclusion of exercises, diagrams, jokes, photos, and other images all related to more adventurous recording techniques. Thought the book (and on the cover) are many full-color illustrations - created by a musical genius - Massy herself!

Recording Unhinged
$29.99 (US)
Inventory #HL 00142105
ISBN: 9781495011276
Width: 8.5", Length: 11.0", 242 pages

US-based Gearslutz members can purchase Recording Unhinged here: http://bit.ly/29AjQPd using discount code 9642EE9JVQEG which brings the price down to $16.99 (from $29.99) plus free shipping!

Link: Recording Unhinged, Music Pro Guide Books & DVDs - Hal Leonard Online
Attached Thumbnails
Make Studio Mayhem with Sylvia Massy's Recording Unhinged!-image.jpg  
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

See no reason for NOT picking this one up.

Ordered !

Old 8th July 2016
Gear Head

Yes please! Ordered!
Old 8th July 2016
Administrator

Just arranged this:

Gearslutz members in the US can purchase Recording Unhinged here: http://bit.ly/29AjQPd using discount code 9642EE9JVQEG which brings the price down to $16.99 (from $29.99) plus free shipping!
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

"sorry we don't ship to Japan" :'(
Old 8th July 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Just arranged this:

Gearslutz members can purchase Recording Unhinged here: http://bit.ly/29AjQPd using discount code 9642EE9JVQEG which brings the price down to $16.99 (from $29.99) plus free shipping!
Very cool, thanks. Sylvia's great!
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
"sorry we don't ship to Japan" :'(
Yea, they dont ship to North Mylon either ...

But ...
Amazon got it for $ 19.75 + shipping.

Not too bad ...

Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

"sorry we don't ship to Indonesia"

:(((
Old 9th July 2016
Not shipping to Canada, even :(
Old 10th July 2016
I ordered it online a little while back. It arrived earlier this week and I'd pretty much read it cover-to-cover in the space fo two days. Lots of really cool ideas in there, lots of funny stories, but for some reason I was expecting it to be a longer book. It's more of a coffee table book or something to have lying around while you're recording to get musicians excited rather than a reference book you'd keep on the shelf.

Great illustrations too.
Old 10th July 2016
Deleted User
Her episode of the Working Class Audio podcast was entertaining.
Old 12th July 2016
Don't forget about the superb Q+A Sylvia did for us a couple years ago... top-notch stuff, featuring custom illustrations!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sylvia-massy/
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Head
Don't ship to Spain
Old 12th July 2016
For those with shipping availability problems maybe this can help.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive!
Old 13th July 2016
Just ordered mine... Can't wait.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escarabajo View Post
Don't ship to Spain
You can find it for 27€ in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.es/Massy-Sylvia-R...ding+hunginged
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Nut

Bought!
Old 17th July 2016
Gear Addict

Gotz Minez
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Nut

Just ordered
Old 30th December 2016
Lives for gear

I got this book for x-mas, it's just so amazingly fun and filled with gold nuggets of sound. It's the one of those few books that I'll keep just laying around on the coffee table and kitchen area.
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Just arranged this:

Gearslutz members in the US can purchase Recording Unhinged here: Recording Unhinged - backwing using discount code 9642EE9JVQEG which brings the price down to $16.99 (from $29.99) plus free shipping!
I know this is an old post I’m replying to but I ordered from backwing with this link about a month ago now and I haven’t heard anything beyond the initial confirmation of my order. As far as I know it hasn’t shipped and there’s no way to cancel or even contact them from what I see (replies I made to that initial email were never returned). Any ideas on it? I’m not implying you have any responsibility for it, just wondering if you has any knowledge of backwing or how I might find out. I really do want to read the book!
Old 3rd February 2019
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I know this is an old post I’m replying to but I ordered from backwing with this link about a month ago now and I haven’t heard anything beyond the initial confirmation of my order. As far as I know it hasn’t shipped and there’s no way to cancel or even contact them from what I see (replies I made to that initial email were never returned). Any ideas on it? I’m not implying you have any responsibility for it, just wondering if you has any knowledge of backwing or how I might find out. I really do want to read the book!
Only saw this now.

Did you get sorted? If not please pm me and I’ll see what I can find out for you (I have no relationship with the company so can’t promise anything)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search