The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4 Audio Interfaces
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Warren nailed that review!
Old 9th January 2017
Gear Head

Interesting thread! Was or is sold to the ID14 and the ID4, now I'm just confused. OSX user with the newest iMac.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear

My new recommendation is the Clarett series from Focusrite. Only if you have Thunderbolt though. And they are a little more expensive.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Hi Everyone,

Currently we are not seeing a widespread issue with the low latency performance of iD4 being reported to our tech support team. However if you are experiencing issues, please get in touch by emailing [email protected] so that we can help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Audient
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

There is no point comparing the performance of the i22/iD14 to the iD4, I have detailed test results showing that the current driver performs completely differently on the prior interfaces compared to the iD4 ( On Windows) . Its something deeper than the unified driver , if in fact it is the same driver in the package being used by the former and later.

I have already reported my findings to Audient , still waiting on a response.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Agreed. Glenn Fricker has one. He did a review of the iD14 and made no mention of the latency or CPU performance buffer issues:
It's because 99.9999999% of all reviewers do not understand the concept of mixing latency. It's EXTREMELY rare that somebody does a thorough review of a sound interface. In fact, I think very few people in general understand how big of a difference a good driver has on overall CPU load + low latency performance.

It used to be a big topic about a decade ago, when ASIO drivers were first introduced but for some reason it isn't any more. It was also one of the major benefits of all DSP plugin platforms like UAD/PT hardware.

Computers have gotten so powerful that even if you only get "usable range" from about 50% of your CPU usage it means you can probably run hundreds of plugins.

The real issues start appearing with all the latest thorough emulations of analogue hardware that naturally require quite a bit more CPU cycles, so it's very possible to run into latency related crackling at quite a low plugin count.

The annoying part here is that once you've worked with a system that doesn't require you to disable a bunch of plugins and runs flawlessly on 64 sample buffers, it's very hard to go back to "normal".
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
It's because 99.9999999% of all reviewers do not understand the concept of mixing latency. It's EXTREMELY rare that somebody does a thorough review of a sound interface. In fact, I think very few people in general understand how big of a difference a good driver has on overall CPU load + low latency performance.

It used to be a big topic about a decade ago, when ASIO drivers were first introduced but for some reason it isn't any more. It was also one of the major benefits of all DSP plugin platforms like UAD/PT hardware.

Computers have gotten so powerful that even if you only get "usable range" from about 50% of your CPU usage it means you can probably run hundreds of plugins.

The real issues start appearing with all the latest thorough emulations of analogue hardware that naturally require quite a bit more CPU cycles, so it's very possible to run into latency related crackling at quite a low plugin count.

The annoying part here is that once you've worked with a system that doesn't require you to disable a bunch of plugins and runs flawlessly on 64 sample buffers, it's very hard to go back to "normal".
Unfortunately very few companies have any interest in low latency either, that is why RME and so on are still very stand out and nobody is catching them at all, see the response above from the Audient rep, for the exact reply you will get from any company, because the average user does not care or even know what low latency is.
I would recommend an RME interface from ten years ago over near enough anything else still today.
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Agreed. Or for that matter, set a high buffer which means a delay between the time you press play and the time the music starts.

I've been noticing a trend with Glenn Fricker. When a company sends him something, he usually gives their product a good review. But when he has to buy it himself, he gives a bad review. Coincidence?
Old 30th March 2017
Here for the gear

IOS experience

OK gearslutz, I've been reading you for years, and now I have something to say on the topic

yes indeed, Audient id4 nice sounding buggy interface which Ive got one week ago and used intensivly during this days
but Im kinda lucky because I'm live performing musician, and got id4 mainly to treat my guitar with FX and capture my live performances (see Personal experience chapter below)

Teq's
id4 connected via usb hub + 10000mah powerbank to iPad3 with ios 9.3.5
monitored through battery powered 20watt amp or via KRK headphones

chinesee CCK used because original is out of stock in the area. that might be weak point of setup !!
software: latest vesion of Auria + some inapp and interapp fx

General experience

after powering up id4 with powerbank I connect CCK and get "accessory not supported" message. However id4 starts to operate
In a while id4 goes offline and after second or few back. I notice it happends with signal sparks: when I unplug my guitar forgetting to set amp gain to 0, sometimes on track change while listening to online radio.

funny thing: playing back recorded "offline spark" with Auria sends id4 offline again - firmware bug for sure
good thing: Auria keep recording while id4 go offline and back - see screenshot with spark near playback locator

Latency

To prepare for recording session I strongly recommed to close all apps, close all network connections, reboot IOS, and plug already powered interface. all physcal inputs should be plugged before powering and connecting id4

Lowest workable latency with Auria is 64 samples. 128 and 256 are more stable and 512 completely safe to operate. Ipad3 nearly not as powerfull as new Pro versions so I suggest it far better there. Also I turned off retina graphics, and often screen to save battery and CPU

I attached screenshots while I was recording guitar through FX (mono mode). You can see CPU meter in the too right corner
64: PSP Microwarmer - smooth operation
128: Fabfilter Pro Q - works fine. Convolution reverb also working with ocassional cracks
256: Convolution rev - works sweet

Actually before I used 512 with convolution because it was cracking with 256, but while preparing tests for this post I found that starting from 64 it was even working with 128 and stable on 256. Where is a factor of IOS background processes though - sometimes they can mess system on low latency out of the blue - so reboot before session

Personal Experience

For a live musican latency can be very creative thing: onboard monitor mix gives me near-zero latency while DAW I use to create reverb. So I found 512 and 1024 samples quite fine as pre-delay feature, because it extends sound of my guitar in the virtual space.. I just end with creative blending of dry and wet signal to achive variaty of timbre and dynamics.
However I still didn't tested it with percussion, tempo-locked delays and multitrack projects, as latency plays huge part in that matters...
Also I tested Line6 Mobile Pod with 2 ms latency of basic free patch it works sweet. Better perfomance because software is solidly made for guitarists perhaps..

Other bugs
- While panning monitor sources with ID+MUTE+Scroll sometimes it not possible to release pannig mode to normal volume change mode. However pressing scroll button for dim was working. had to reboot id4
- sometimes MUTE button start blinking. functions proper however
- changing latency while playback or recording, or changing samplerate may cause id4 to "fart". rebooted id4
- rare IOS shows "ID4 is not supported". after this I have to reboot IOS. noticed after ussing Tascam im2x mic, perhaps bug of apple's goddamn device validator
- scrollId not function with IOS

Summary:
Despite of all this issues, Im thankfull to Audient for releasing id4
Yet taking extra caution with setup, Im able to perform and record few hours of concert, and its compeletly portable (wallwart free). 10-20 years ago no one can even imagine this in digital realm and now I enjoy this things while performing at tropical beach on Indian ocean shore! wow! I can post soundquality experience later if someone wish
To Audient: please seriosly review firmware perfomance with IOS
Farewell! Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4-image.jpg   Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4-image.jpg   Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4-image.jpg   Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4-image.jpg   Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4-image.jpg  

Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'm surprised you got it to work with ipad at all, struggled to get it to do anything useful on Ipad here
Old 30th March 2017
Lives for gear

Nice post, Ilaya, welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
You could at a push, also record a stereo synth using the two inputs with a bit of careful gain matching between the two channels.
Can you please give us a guidance as to how to match gain accurately between the two channels for the purpose of recording a synth?
Old 11th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Of Light View Post
Can you please give us a guidance as to how to match gain accurately between the two channels for the purpose of recording a synth?
Use a Middle C sustained sine wave when setting levels!
Old 18th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
I have an ID14 and have not had a single issue with it ever on 2 different MACS. On my IMAC 4ghz beasty it runs at 32 samples always even using things like omnisphere2.

Ben
That's a good question, does anybody have an answer. i also am curious to know. i have heard many good things about the ID14.
Old 3rd September 2017
Lives for gear
My was ok in the begining now performs very bad switching off and on the mute on its own very poor performance.At the begining i tought the Dac was ok to work with but after time found its even worst then focusrite the clock is good.Cant compete with my prevous Duet dac wise not so impressed with Audient.The freebies coming for reg of the product are great thanks for that.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacnadon View Post
My was ok in the begining now performs very bad switching off and on the mute on its own very poor performance.At the begining i tought the Dac was ok to work with but after time found its even worst then focusrite the clock is good.Cant compete with my prevous Duet dac wise not so impressed with Audient.The freebies coming for reg of the product are great thanks for that.
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your iD4. Have you got in touch with our support team as I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with any problems you are having. You can get in touch at [email protected]

The sound of a DAC or ADC is of course a somewhat subjective but it is a little disappointing to hear that you weren't a fan of it. The Specs of the iD4 should match, if not beat, those found on other interfaces in the same price range but if you want to compare the specs, they can be found here: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us...Detailed-Specs

I'm glad you're enjoying the Audient ARC Promotions however, we spent a while making sure that the downloads would be useful for anyone regardless of whether you're just starting out recording or if you're a seasoned pro.

Cheers,

-Audient
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
So you bought iD22 with ADAT IN/OUT and want more inputs and outputs, but instead of actually using the ins and outs, you wait for bigger interface? This is ridiculous
I've got the ID22 AND ID14, which I ADAT together,

I feel it gives me 4 ins of great pre and conversion and 8 outs, with two of the pres having hardware inserts

THE ONLY thing I don't like is that it would save me more crappy cables and junk if they had just done MIDI I/O

But all in all, coming from a guy who at one time had 16 I/O of API, Chandler, Avalon, Demeter and others with Apogee ADDA, (And now has the hardware inserts for outside Pres, a few of which I still use)

I don't feel like I'm giving anything away to anyone in sound quality, very happy with Audient's interface work, I usually hate buying converters as I know they will be worthless soon enough, but these boxes are all metal and solidly designed and don't feel like they will be crap in a year)
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

It is possible to record both inputs at once, the iD4 is a 2 in, 2 out interface which means its great for recording a guitar and vocals at the same time. You could at a push, also record a stereo synth using the two inputs with a bit of careful gain matching between the two channels.

- Audient
Hello! Are ID4's 2 mono inputs also available as a pair of stereo inputs under class compliant mode?
Old 1st March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Use a Middle C sustained sine wave when setting levels!
Thank you.
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your iD4. Have you got in touch with our support team as I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with any problems you are having. You can get in touch at [email protected]

The sound of a DAC or ADC is of course a somewhat subjective but it is a little disappointing to hear that you weren't a fan of it. The Specs of the iD4 should match, if not beat, those found on other interfaces in the same price range but if you want to compare the specs, they can be found here: iD4 Detailed Specs – Audient Help Desk

I'm glad you're enjoying the Audient ARC Promotions however, we spent a while making sure that the downloads would be useful for anyone regardless of whether you're just starting out recording or if you're a seasoned pro.

Cheers,

-Audient
Now its okay it doesn't do it anymore but I am not fond on the Dac it sounds grainy distorted lot leas detailed then I am comfortable with. Is it the Id 44 slightly improved and how do u gonna describe its conversion.I like the Audient form factor and the Id button
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
Now its okay it doesn't do it anymore but I am not fond on the Dac it sounds grainy distorted lot leas detailed then I am comfortable with. Is it the Id 44 slightly improved and how do u gonna describe its conversion.I like the Audient form factor and the Id button
What other interfaces are you comparing the AD/DA to?
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
What other interfaces are you comparing the AD/DA to?
Apogee duet 2 nowhere near but both have obvious high mid treble emphasize
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
Apogee duet 2 nowhere near but both have obvious high mid treble emphasize
I replaced my Apogee Duet 1 (Firewire) with the iD14.

The Duet was very bright. I have listened to far better interfaces than those two and the Duet was far brighter than neutral, both on inputs and outputs.

The iD14 is less grainy, although possibly slightly more distorted in what sounds like an "analogue" way. The preamps and DI sound fat and musical – my Duet's preamps sounded weedy and pinched in comparison.

The best AD/DA you will get for a lowish price is the UH-7000. Better than both of these. However, I would prefer to track with the Audient because of how weighty and musical the preamps sound – nevermind the much lower price.

To go up from the Tascam you'd have to spend big bucks. I'd say neither the Babyface nor the Apollos are any better. Higher end RME or Apogee might be better, but we're straying from the price point.

The big boys would be the Metric Halo ULN-2 and Prism Sound Lyra, maybe Lynx Studio Hilo.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

I have an ID14 in my office just for listening to music with my JBL305's. I think the DAC sounds great for the price. It's very clear, clean, and detailed. I have experience with the UNL2 (First Model) and the Scarlet 2i2 (1st Gen). I like the ID14's DAC the best out of the three. The scarlet was the worst.

I listen to mostly FLAC audio and CD's so the fidelity is at the top of the digital consumer level and that's what I have made my judgements on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search