The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient Introduces Brand New Compact Audio Interface: iD4
Old 14th July 2016
  #61
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I'm curious about the converters. On Audients site they say the ID 14 has "High Performance Burr Brown AD/DA Converters" but on the ID4 it only says "High Performance Converters" with no mention of what they are. Then they go on to say...... "The importance of converters should never be underestimated". Well then, what are they?
For what it's worth the listing at B&H says it has Burr Brown AD/DA converters but they could've just copy and pasted it from the iD14 page for all we know, although it does give more info in the description for the iD4 than the iD14 so it should be legit.

Audient iD4 High-Performance USB Audio Interface ID4 B&H Photo
Old 15th July 2016
  #62
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydraka View Post
For what it's worth the listing at B&H says it has Burr Brown AD/DA converters.

Audient iD4 High-Performance USB Audio Interface ID4 B&H Photo
That's weird. When I checked you're link yesterday it did indeed say Burr Brown converters but today it only says "High-Performance" converters. I guess they corrected their mistake. So now the mystery remains.
Old 15th July 2016
  #63
Gear Head
 

You're right! They totally changed it. I guess that means it doesn't have them indeed.
Old 16th July 2016
  #64
Gear Head
 

I noticed that a few retailers have started selling the Audient iD4 now. I ordered one from Pitbull Audio on eBay, and they have the option for a free Mogami instrument or mic cable with it.

Audient iD4 | eBay

I don't have any experience with Audient's other interfaces so I won't be able to say how it compares with the different converters and such, but I will post a review and a comparison on my website and on YouTube between it and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and 2i4. I just got the 2nd gen 2i2 last month but I've been having problems with the Windows drivers so I figured I'd give the iD4 a shot since it's in the same price range.
Old 16th July 2016
  #65
Lives for gear
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydraka View Post
I noticed that a few retailers have started selling the Audient iD4 now. I ordered one from Pitbull Audio on eBay, and they have the option for a free Mogami instrument or mic cable with it.

Audient iD4 | eBay

I don't have any experience with Audient's other interfaces so I won't be able to say how it compares with the different converters and such, but I will post a review and a comparison on my website and on YouTube between it and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and 2i4. I just got the 2nd gen 2i2 last month but I've been having problems with the Windows drivers so I figured I'd give the iD4 a shot since it's in the same price range.
I'm quite interested in the iD4 vs Scarlett comparison, look forward to your review, hopefully with some sound samples!
Old 17th July 2016
  #66
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
That's weird. When I checked you're link yesterday it did indeed say Burr Brown converters but today it only says "High-Performance" converters. I guess they corrected their mistake. So now the mystery remains.
Daniel @ Audient, won't you lift the veil?
Old 17th July 2016
  #67
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I'm quite interested in the iD4 vs Scarlett comparison, look forward to your review, hopefully with some sound samples!
I'll post some guitar and bass examples to compare but my voice definitely isn't up for of any vocal comparisons...
Old 18th July 2016
  #68
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Daniel @ Audient, won't you lift the veil?
Maybe it's a trade secret? Does it ultimately matter which converters are in it? All I care about is how it sounds!
Old 18th July 2016
  #69
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Maybe it's a trade secret?
It's not a trade secret with the ID14 or ID22 so why would it be just for the ID4?

Quote:
Does it ultimately matter which converters are in it? All I care about is how it sounds!
If it has the same converters as the ID14 then it should sound at least close according to the other specs posted. If not maybe I'll get the ID14 instead. Being that I don't need the extra preamp or the Adat it would be silly to spend an extra $100.00 if they sound the same. So to answer your question, yeah, it matters.
Old 18th July 2016
  #70
Lives for gear
 
audientworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Daniel @ Audient, won't you lift the veil?
Hello Folks,

Its great to see all the interest regarding the iD4, especially the converters.

The converters in the iD4 are ​​different to those in the iD14 and iD22​ as the Customer focus for the iD4 is more towards musicians on the move who require a simple, bus powered interface (the iD4 will just as equally be at home on a desktop however ).

​They come from a Japanese company called AKM and are already used in many other high end German and American products which can cost over 5 times the price of the iD4. The chip we use is called a CODEC and essentially means that the A/D and the D/A are both situated on the same chip. This is great for two reasons, ​component ​size and power consumption.

However, we always take the audio quality of our products very seriously so a lot of testing​, circuit tweaking ​and listening took place before we chose these particular converters. We didn't want to compromise the audio quality of the iD4 just because of its smaller form factor and lower cost. Burr-Brown don't offer a CODEC with the Performance/Price ratio that we would have wanted for iD4, so while we are huge fans of the work Burr Brown does, the AKM converters were much more suitable for the iD4​'s Application this time around.

You can even look for yourself on the published specs for both the iD4 and iD14 and see that despite the lower cost and size, ​from an A/D perspective, ​the iD4 will still give the iD14 a run for its money. Even improving on the THD figures in some cases.

https://audient.com/products/audio-i...d4/tech-specs/
https://audient.com/products/audio-i...14/tech-specs/

(Please note that all our digital measurements are done to the guidelines of AES17 so these are real world figures, rather than just the quoted chipset figure​ which unfortunately some manufacturers tend to do​)

At the end of the day, we would always recommend that our products are chosen based on their usefulness in your workflow because ultimately, that's what is going to affect your recording the most.

If you're a musician who wants to get a few tracks recorded, possibly when you're on the move, then the iD4 would be perfect. If you need a couple of Mic Pres in a portable package, with the possibility of adding up to 8 more later then the iD14 is great and if you want to start incorporating extra outboard gear and need features such as analog pads, phase flips and HPFs on your preamps, the iD22 would be the best bet.

As always, if anyone does have any questions then please feel more than free to to contact us at support@audient.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Old 18th July 2016
  #71
Lives for gear
Can I use this with my ipad? That would be very cool.
Old 19th July 2016
  #72
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello Folks,

Its great to see all the interest regarding the iD4, especially the converters.

The converters in the iD4 are ​​different to those in the iD14 and iD22​ as the Customer focus for the iD4 is more towards musicians on the move who require a simple, bus powered interface (the iD4 will just as equally be at home on a desktop however ).

​They come from a Japanese company called AKM and are already used in many other high end German and American products which can cost over 5 times the price of the iD4. The chip we use is called a CODEC and essentially means that the A/D and the D/A are both situated on the same chip. This is great for two reasons, ​component ​size and power consumption.

However, we always take the audio quality of our products very seriously so a lot of testing​, circuit tweaking ​and listening took place before we chose these particular converters. We didn't want to compromise the audio quality of the iD4 just because of its smaller form factor and lower cost. Burr-Brown don't offer a CODEC with the Performance/Price ratio that we would have wanted for iD4, so while we are huge fans of the work Burr Brown does, the AKM converters were much more suitable for the iD4​'s Application this time around.

You can even look for yourself on the published specs for both the iD4 and iD14 and see that despite the lower cost and size, ​from an A/D perspective, ​the iD4 will still give the iD14 a run for its money. Even improving on the THD figures in some cases.

https://audient.com/products/audio-i...d4/tech-specs/
https://audient.com/products/audio-i...14/tech-specs/

(Please note that all our digital measurements are done to the guidelines of AES17 so these are real world figures, rather than just the quoted chipset figure​ which unfortunately some manufacturers tend to do​)

At the end of the day, we would always recommend that our products are chosen based on their usefulness in your workflow because ultimately, that's what is going to affect your recording the most.

If you're a musician who wants to get a few tracks recorded, possibly when you're on the move, then the iD4 would be perfect. If you need a couple of Mic Pres in a portable package, with the possibility of adding up to 8 more later then the iD14 is great and if you want to start incorporating extra outboard gear and need features such as analog pads, phase flips and HPFs on your preamps, the iD22 would be the best bet.

As always, if anyone does have any questions then please feel more than free to to contact us at support@audient.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Thank you, Daniel, it's great to get such a detailed answer. Shows you care. Audient rocks!
Old 19th July 2016
  #73
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtripper View Post
Can I use this with my ipad? That would be very cool.
Yes, would be interesting to see how Audient's iD4 measures up to the (also) new Tascam iXR.
Old 19th July 2016
  #74
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtripper View Post
Can I use this with my ipad? That would be very cool.
The specs page says it works with iOS 6 and later using a camera adapter kit and a powered USB 2.0 hub.
Old 19th July 2016
  #75
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello Folks,

Its great to see all the interest regarding the iD4, especially the converters.

The converters in the iD4 are ​​different to those in the iD14 and iD22​ as the Customer focus for the iD4 is more towards musicians on the move who require a simple, bus powered interface (the iD4 will just as equally be at home on a desktop however ).

​They come from a Japanese company called AKM and are already used in many other high end German and American products which can cost over 5 times the price of the iD4. The chip we use is called a CODEC and essentially means that the A/D and the D/A are both situated on the same chip. This is great for two reasons, ​component ​size and power consumption.

However, we always take the audio quality of our products very seriously so a lot of testing​, circuit tweaking ​and listening took place before we chose these particular converters. We didn't want to compromise the audio quality of the iD4 just because of its smaller form factor and lower cost. Burr-Brown don't offer a CODEC with the Performance/Price ratio that we would have wanted for iD4, so while we are huge fans of the work Burr Brown does, the AKM converters were much more suitable for the iD4​'s Application this time around.

You can even look for yourself on the published specs for both the iD4 and iD14 and see that despite the lower cost and size, ​from an A/D perspective, ​the iD4 will still give the iD14 a run for its money. Even improving on the THD figures in some cases.

https://audient.com/products/audio-i...d4/tech-specs/
https://audient.com/products/audio-i...14/tech-specs/

(Please note that all our digital measurements are done to the guidelines of AES17 so these are real world figures, rather than just the quoted chipset figure​ which unfortunately some manufacturers tend to do​)

At the end of the day, we would always recommend that our products are chosen based on their usefulness in your workflow because ultimately, that's what is going to affect your recording the most.

If you're a musician who wants to get a few tracks recorded, possibly when you're on the move, then the iD4 would be perfect. If you need a couple of Mic Pres in a portable package, with the possibility of adding up to 8 more later then the iD14 is great and if you want to start incorporating extra outboard gear and need features such as analog pads, phase flips and HPFs on your preamps, the iD22 would be the best bet.

As always, if anyone does have any questions then please feel more than free to to contact us at support@audient.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Thank you for the info. I think you guys have an excellent line up of products now that hits all of the key budget spots. Best of luck.
Old 19th July 2016
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydraka View Post
I'll post some guitar and bass examples to compare but my voice definitely isn't up for of any vocal comparisons...
Yo come on without, come on within, ... let's not talk falsely now, .... Oh see, can you say Testing one, TWO or Mary had a little lamb. And she sells sea shells on the sea shore (sibilance), Fred fed Ted bread, and Ted fed Fred bread (fricatives), and red leather, yellow lorry (labiodentals).
Old 20th July 2016
  #77
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello Folks,

Its great to see all the interest regarding the iD4, especially the converters.

The converters in the iD4 are ​​different to those in the iD14 and iD22​ as the Customer focus for the iD4 is more towards musicians on the move who require a simple, bus powered interface (the iD4 will just as equally be at home on a desktop however ).

​They come from a Japanese company called AKM and are already used in many other high end German and American products which can cost over 5 times the price of the iD4. The chip we use is called a CODEC and essentially means that the A/D and the D/A are both situated on the same chip. This is great for two reasons, ​component ​size and power consumption.
Much thanks for coming back here with a detailed reply. Not too many companies take the time to reveal their components in detail. I'm looking forward to getting this product and putting it through the paces. Again, much thanks and your reply is much appreciated.

Last edited by Alndln; 21st July 2016 at 04:06 PM..
Old 27th July 2016
  #78
Here for the gear
 

Akm codec ???

Hello Daniel @ Audient,

can u please tell us wich MODEL AD/DA from AKM CODEC is built in the new ID4?

@ first i see the mic gain spec`s was the same like the ID14 66db now i see it has only 58db gain.

one thing i was unhappy is that i can not mute the monitor speakers and headphones seperately, so i most power off and on my monitor speakers that was nice on the ID14 but i only need one channel and no ADAT and so on.

is the ID4 vs. the ID14 Qualitiy wise in the same leauge?

thanks a lot and Audient is a very very nice Company

greetz
Old 27th July 2016
  #79
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWDEFINITION View Post
Hello Daniel @ Audient,

can u please tell us wich MODEL AD/DA from AKM CODEC is built in the new ID4?

@ first i see the mic gain spec`s was the same like the ID14 66db now i see it has only 58db gain.

one thing i was unhappy is that i can not mute the monitor speakers and headphones seperately, so i most power off and on my monitor speakers that was nice on the ID14 but i only need one channel and no ADAT and so on.

is the ID4 vs. the ID14 Qualitiy wise in the same leauge?

thanks a lot and Audient is a very very nice Company

greetz
£189 vs. £119.

The iD14 is the most stripped-bare 2-in 2-out interface in the market for its quality and price. If you need that, you pay that.

It's been discussed already that they're not the same quality. They're using lower voltage components and it has a simpler workflow. It's like 60% of the price – why would it be the same league?

If they made a 1-channel iD14 it would be like 90% of the price and size. No point.

This is their budget interface to compete with Focusrite's Scarlett Solo. It's obvious, and there is a market for it. Don't get butthurt just because it's not better for cheaper.

However, I agree it would be nice to know the A/D/A chip they're using, for pure reference.
Old 27th July 2016
  #80
Here for the gear
 

That answer i became from Audient:

I personally would say that the iD4 is just as good as the iD14 with the specs being extremely similar. The cost is only less because it has less inputs and outputs and has less overall features.
Old 12th August 2016
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

Couldn`t get an answer through the Audient website support form, but does anyone know:

Do all of the iD range have multiple application support on windows? i.e. so I could have two hosts like bitwig/ cubase open at the same time producing sound. It looks is possible with the ID22 but wanted to make sure for the ID14 and Id4:

Audient Releases Windows Drivers for ID22

Quote:
Audient has released Windows drivers for their ID22 USB audio interface. The drivers are compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8, and offer multi-application support for WDM and ASIO. Audient’s innovative low-latency Mixer Application is also included.
(couldn`t find this on Audient website specs either)
Old 12th August 2016
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
Couldn`t get an answer through the Audient website support form, but does anyone know:

Do all of the iD range have multiple application support on windows? i.e. so I could have two hosts like bitwig/ cubase open at the same time producing sound. It looks is possible with the ID22 but wanted to make sure for the ID14 and Id4:

Audient Releases Windows Drivers for ID22



(couldn`t find this on Audient website specs either)
Can't comment directly regarding bitwig, but, yes, I have Cubase 8.5 pro open simultaneously with other apps all running thru the Audient driver/app...no problems.

I deleted all the stock Conexant audio drivers and anything at all to do with audio that is not audient...works perfectly.
Old 12th August 2016
  #83
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
Can't comment directly regarding bitwig, but, yes, I have Cubase 8.5 pro open simultaneously with other apps all running thru the Audient driver/app...no problems.

I deleted all the stock Conexant audio drivers and anything at all to do with audio that is not audient...works perfectly.
Thanks eightyeightkeys, I see from your post earlier that you have the id14 so I presume that would extend to the id4 aswell.

The `single application only` limitation of asio was something that annoyed me and was great to get the muti app ability with the SPL Crimson. I`m thinking about changing over to Audient though at some point so it is great if the whole range has multi-app.
Old 17th August 2016
  #84
Lives for gear
Old 18th August 2016
  #85
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
From the review posted above:

Quote:
Additionally, the iD4 doesn’t come with mixer software like the iD14 and iD22 that enables some added controls for things like latency and mixing.
Can an Audient rep confirm this?

The reviewer also had some issues with low latency settings. Any comment on this?
Old 18th August 2016
  #86
Lives for gear
 
audientworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
From the review posted above:



Can an Audient rep confirm this?

The reviewer also had some issues with low latency settings. Any comment on this?
Hello there,

The iD4 doesn't come with an included mixer app like the iD14 and iD22 does. This is because the number of inputs and outputs is much less and therefore there isn't a need for a mixer to control your output routing like there is on our bigger interfaces.

Latency settings, Buffer sizes and sample rates can still be set however by simply clicking on the small iD icon in the system tray on Windows, or directly through your DAW on OSX.

Low latency direct monitoring is controlled using the Monitor Mix Knob. Turning this all the way to the white block on the left also allows you to monitor your input levels with input on the top meter and input on the lower meter.

-Audient
Old 19th August 2016
  #87
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there,

The iD4 doesn't come with an included mixer app like the iD14 and iD22 does. This is because the number of inputs and outputs is much less and therefore there isn't a need for a mixer to control your output routing like there is on our bigger interfaces.

Latency settings, Buffer sizes and sample rates can still be set however by simply clicking on the small iD icon in the system tray on Windows, or directly through your DAW on OSX.

Low latency direct monitoring is controlled using the Monitor Mix Knob. Turning this all the way to the white block on the left also allows you to monitor your input levels with input on the top meter and input on the lower meter.

-Audient
Thanks for the quick reply.

That makes sense that your hardware knobs replace the need for the mix software. My main concern is that he wasn't able to use the very low latency with his computer, for electric guitar amp modeling plugin use. I haven't had this issue with my ID 14 and was wondering if this is a known issue or if it was a one off problem.
Old 19th August 2016
  #88
Lives for gear
 
audientworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

That makes sense that your hardware knobs replace the need for the mix software. My main concern is that he wasn't able to use the very low latency with his computer, for electric guitar amp modeling plugin use. I haven't had this issue with my ID 14 and was wondering if this is a known issue or if it was a one off problem.
Hello there,

Latency performance is very heavily tied with the computer on which the iD4 is being used on.

With a vast majority of computers, this isn't a problem and as long as you have the spare CPU power to do so, you will be able to go down to low buffer sizes and get a nice low latency.

On some machines, there can be processes or drivers which can clash with the iD4 drivers and cause extra latency or artefacts in the audio stream. This could be from video cards or Wi-Fi cards or just from the motherboard itself. A majority of the time however, this can be resolved by simply updating the drivers for your hardware.

It may be the case that the reviewer was having issues with these clashes and thats why they struggled to get down to low latencies.

- Audient
Old 19th August 2016
  #89
Gear Addict
 
johnnynash's Avatar
I'm on an old Asus laptop i5 1,7 GHz and I can run my card at mnimum latency 64 samples, using S-Gear guitaramp and EZ-drummer without problems. I also made sure to turn off the internal soundcard and Nvidia-nonsens. Love the D.I input by the way, sounds great when recording bassguitar!
Old 19th August 2016
  #90
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there,

Latency performance is very heavily tied with the computer on which the iD4 is being used on.

With a vast majority of computers, this isn't a problem and as long as you have the spare CPU power to do so, you will be able to go down to low buffer sizes and get a nice low latency.

On some machines, there can be processes or drivers which can clash with the iD4 drivers and cause extra latency or artefacts in the audio stream. This could be from video cards or Wi-Fi cards or just from the motherboard itself. A majority of the time however, this can be resolved by simply updating the drivers for your hardware.

It may be the case that the reviewer was having issues with these clashes and thats why they struggled to get down to low latencies.

- Audient
OK thanks for the information. I just wanted anyone out there to make a better informed decision because with my ID 14 I have zero issues recording 24-bit 48KHZ audio at 64 samples. I also have no problems recording 96 kHz at 128...the lowest setting.

I recall audient having issues with their drivers when the ID 22 came out but the ID 14 was a relatively solid release. So I think by now they have their crap together.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump