The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Zen Tour
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
well I went out tonight and bought a UAD 8x to replace my Zen Tour. I have had UAD plugins and PCI card before so I am familiar. So far side by side listening
The UAD has more detail but lacks low end. The Zen is definitely warmer sounder but not sure if what i am hearing is more muddiness? will give another listen tomorrow.
The UAD works well with Catalina. would doing the black lion mod help warm up the UAD?
Old 26th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

One experience I'd like to add:

I think it's best to use a USB connection when updating the Zen Tour firmware. I had issues with thunderbolt when updating but fortunately I was able to flash with the USB connection.
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Head

Is anyone using outboard gear with the Zen Tour for mixdown - I guess specifically with Logic? I’m looking to buy a SSL SiX and Klark Teknik EQP and want to use them while mixing. The ping function in Logic and using Zen Tour’s FPGA FX as inserts does not work at all (it doesn’t compensate correctly - others have said similar things) so I never use any Antelope FX. I’m wondering if the problem is the FPGA or is it outboard gear too?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For anyone who has updated to Mac Catalina, and find yourself not able to access your Zen Tour.

Go to this page linked below and download the Latest Mac OS X Launcher. It says nothing about Catalina and nothing indicates it is newer, but this one will get your Catalina working with the Zen Tour. They could have made this a little more obvious. Perhaps even, god forbid, providing a direct link to it in the email announcing Catalina compatibility. Or at the very least saying you'll need to update to a newer launcher we have now. But that kind of thoughtfulness isn't part of the Antelope Audio experience. Sigh! I tried contacting support via phone, and chat, and they are in a big backlog apparently. I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the reason. When one sentence and a link could have made it all simple.

https://atmosphere82.freshdesk.com/s...wnload-section
Old 25th January 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I see Antelope just released a new version of the Zen Tour...and after 2 years of owning my Zen Tour I still don't have AFX2DAW for windows, WTF?
Old 29th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus3 View Post
I see Antelope just released a new version of the Zen Tour...and after 2 years of owning my Zen Tour I still don't have AFX2DAW for windows, WTF?
It's listed Legacy already.
Just like other Legacy products it won't receive new drivers, new features ...no bug fixes. They turned the page already. Don't you worry, the new "Zen Tour Synergy Core"..will be listed Legacy too with no more driver updates in a couple of years...
Antelope, audio interfaces with the shortest life
Old 31st January 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tammer View Post
It's listed Legacy already.
Just like other Legacy products it won't receive new drivers, new features ...no bug fixes. They turned the page already. Don't you worry, the new "Zen Tour Synergy Core"..will be listed Legacy too with no more driver updates in a couple of years...
Antelope, audio interfaces with the shortest life
Hi,

I will quote myself from another thread - "Some of you might have seen in other threads, that I have answered to similar comments/questions - if we categorise an interface as legacy, it doesn't mean that we stop supporting it, it simply means that we do not manufacture it anymore. Since our devices are a bundle of software and hardware, stopping hardware production, does not imply that we stop software production, technological products are not linearly handled when it comes down to life cycle and support (from consumer to professional products)."

Does it say somewhere on the product page that you won't receive any driver updates/compatibility updates? Devices like the silver Orion Studio, silver Goliath, etc. have received updates for compatibility with the latest OS, if there are major bugs - we fix them, it doesn't matter if it's legacy or not. Please refer to me quoting myself above.

I would gladly answer any questions that you might have and provide you with my personal email, if you would like to get in touch - feel free to message me.
Old 3rd February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Any name suggestions for an upcoming compressor from Antelope Audio based on the Fairchild 670?
NiceKid 670
Old 3rd April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Please fix the Windows launcher so that it works properly on a 4K screen.
Old 10th April 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHiding View Post
Please fix the Windows launcher so that it works properly on a 4K screen.
Hi!

What is the issue that you're encountering on your screen? Have you contacted our support team about it?

Please feel free to message me directly, I would be more than glad to help out!
Old 12th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!

What is the issue that you're encountering on your screen? Have you contacted our support team about it?

Please feel free to message me directly, I would be more than glad to help out!
The problem is not related to my system in any way (except for the fact that I have a 4K monitor). The launcher doesn't scale properly. It's quite a common issue with software that isn't properly programmed to scale with high resolutions.

Just plug in a 4K monitor and start the launcher and you'll see the issues. Text is too large to fit into text boxes and the text is therefor cut making it all unreadable etc. Typical scaling issues.
Old 14th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Antelope Zen Tour + RME Digiface = the best out of two worlds

Hello everyone,
i want to share with you a great configuration that is working very good for me.
I am a new Zen Tour User and i am very happy with the quality of the sound, the conversion, the preamps and the FX.
I am using the Zen Tour under Windows.
I guess it is not a secret, that the drivers of the Zen Tour are not as good as the RME ones.
I was having some issues where Windows Audio would not work if ASIO uses the device.
And the low-latency performance was also not so great.

Now though i have connected the Zen Tour via ADAT to the DIGIFACE.
The Digiface takes care of all the Driver things and the communication with my DAW.
And the ZEN TOUR does the Conversion and the preamps.
i am very happy with this solution and i think more people should know about it.

i would say buying the DIGIFACE as an extension for the ZEN TOUR was the happiest 350€ i ever spend.
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK guys, what's the consensus about the "old" ZEN TOUR ?
Still good value for money , or should I really spend more on the updated model ?
Are there users here who upgraded from the old model ?
I know more dsp power and port options but for me that's worth the extra money.
Is the hardware controller the same ?
Does the touch screen works good as a monitor controller , A/B switching, dim , mono etc ?

thanks
Old 13th May 2020
Here for the gear

Hello andre,

first of all i have to admit, that i don´t own the "new" zen tour synergy core so i can not really compare.

I can just say, that i have the old zen tour and am very happy with it.
I think they are both very similar in how they look, feel and sound.

However for me the old zen tour has two significant advantages over the new one:

- 2* ADAT i/o as opposed to 1*ADAT i/o.....as you can read from my previous post i love this feature because it allows me to hook up the zen tour to my RME digiface and make use of their great drivers. not only can i make use of their drivers, i can also hookup another interface to the Digiface (it has 4* ADAT i/O) if i want to expand my i/o.

- the old Zen Tour has 2 Monitor outputs (only one active at a time) which are great for A/B switching. The new Zen Tour only has one.

So to conclude i would say, that the old Zen Tour is still very good value - however it checks all my boxes.
It "only" has 16 Channels of AFX as opposed to the 32 Channels of the new Zen Tour. But then again thats enough for me, because the total amount of Outputs is anyway just 16 (8* Lineout, 4 Line Outs as the 2 Headphoneouts, 2 Reamp Outs, 2 Monitor Outs)

The Monitorcontrollerfeatures you mentioned are possible via a hardwarebutton.
However you can only assign one of the functions (A/B, Mono, Dim) to the dedicated HardwareButton (Antelope Button) - i guess its the same with the new version.
The Knob works good for setting the loudness or muting (push the knob).

I hope i helped you out with your decision.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. When you get your Zen Tour you will probably have a little phase of getting to know it, but once you figured it all out it will work great and reliable for you.
Old 13th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey , thanks for the reply.
will take this all into account.
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it's a bit unclear to me if the old Zen can stream through usb or is it thunderbolt only ?
Old 15th May 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil View Post
it's a bit unclear to me if the old Zen can stream through usb or is it thunderbolt only ?
Hi Andre!

You can use both! We have USB drivers for both MAC OS & Windows and Thunderbolt drivers again for both, so you could use either USB or Thunderbolt on either MAC or Windows!

Please feel free to message me if any other questions come up.
Old 15th July 2020
Here for the gear
Absolutely floored that I have to go out and buy another interface to supplement my zen tour, for proper windows driver support. I definitely do not recommend this interface. I used an entry level focusrite product on a friends pc with literally 1/5 the latency? How is this possible ? I will say the hardware is nice, the sound is really good, but none of that counts when the drivers communicating with your operating system is speaking a different language, so to speak.. Very easy to get hooked on this one(hardware/sound), but stay away and look at alternatives..

PS: Drivers are awful at best.

T>>P
Old 17th July 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappa75 View Post
Absolutely floored that I have to go out and buy another interface to supplement my zen tour, for proper windows driver support. I definitely do not recommend this interface. I used an entry level focusrite product on a friends pc with literally 1/5 the latency? How is this possible ? I will say the hardware is nice, the sound is really good, but none of that counts when the drivers communicating with your operating system is speaking a different language, so to speak.. Very easy to get hooked on this one(hardware/sound), but stay away and look at alternatives..

PS: Drivers are awful at best.

T>>P
Hi!

What was the latency that you experienced? Are you using USB or Thunderbolt? Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Are you using one of the built-in USB ports on the motherboard (if you're using USB)?

Please feel free to message me directly!
Old 21st July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I am using the USB connection on my motherboard, Windows 10 ver. 1903, i7 Processor running at 4.1 GHz, 32GB RAM, latency about 16.8ms round trip.. As I said in my original post I used an entry level focusrite interface belonging to a friend(on the same pc) with much better results. The only stable settings I am able to use in the settings are 256 samples and Low Latency USB Streaming mode.. I was able to get down to 32 samples with the focusrite without any issues at all..
Old 22nd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Hey there.. How is this setup working out for you? I am trying to decide on doing the same.. So, you have two audio drivers installed I assume? The Zen Tour driver and the RME driver? Any conflicts? Windows Audio is using the RME driver, correct? Your DAW is using the RME driver also?

Thanks,
Travis
Old 22nd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I Route Windows audio and the DAW Audio to the Rme Digiface USB - but you could also route windows audio thru antelope driver directly and the daw audio thru the rme - you can experiment.

I also have installed the antelope driver, but the zen Tour is only connected to my PC for me to be able to control the zen Tour control panel.
All the audio goes through USB to the digiface and from there with adat to the zen Tour (and back from the zen tour with adat to the digiface)

AS i mentioned before i am very happy with this solution.on my Main Maschine i can work with 32 samples latency with many tracks and Quite a few Plugins.

I think it is worth it to extend the zen Tour with the digiface because the digiface is very small, not so expensive and you still benefit from the zen tours preamps, converters, its clock and its afx. With the combination zen tour plus digiface you will have an interface far superior than comparable UAD interfaces because of the many I/o (you even get an extra 2 DC coupled outputs from the headphone out of the digiface - I use those to control my eurorack synths) and especially the routing freedom of the zen tour - I have not seen such routing freedom in other interfaces - I think its even better than the routing possibilities of the rme totalmixfx (or at least AS good).

I hope I answered all your questions.

BTW. I was in your position before and was annoyed that the latency was not so good, but now I don't need to bother with it anymore...and just love my stable and good sounding interface.
Old 23rd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thanks so much for the reply and answers..! I am thinking this is the route I may take.. So, you have no issues running both drivers(zen/rme) in windows at the same time?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Zen Tour MIDI

Hey, long time GearSlutz reader here but a first time poster here. I'm hoping Sam Antelope Audio or someone else whose familiar with this interface could speak to using MIDI devices with the Zen Tour. Obviously it looks like you can't use 5 pin and probably not USB I'm guessing?

Theoretically you could just hook your devices right to your computer though right? Would there be any downsides to doing it?
📝 Reply